NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Limit on Nuclear Arsenals

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Tvars
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Limit on Nuclear Arsenals

Postby Tvars » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:28 pm

The General Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGES the right of a nation to possess and maintain an arsenal of nuclear weapons for the purposes of defense;

However,

ALARMED at the rapid escalations of tensions between nations possessing nuclear weapons;

CONCERNED that the proliferation of nuclear weapons begets increased possibilities of a nuclear conflict;

UNDERSTANDING the potential for great loss of human life and potential world destruction possible through the use of nuclear weapons;

DEFINES nuclear weapons as any explosive device deriving its power from nuclear reactions that is used for military purposes;

Hereby:

PROHIBITS WA member nations from possessing a nuclear arsenal greater than 2,000 nuclear warheads;

PROHIBITS the total yield of the nuclear arsenals of any given WA member nation from exceeding 3,000 megatons;

URGES WA member nations to halt or slow the proliferation of nuclear weapons;

ENCOURAGES cooperation between member nations in the safe removal of nuclear weapons from nations that currently exceed the aforementioned limit

Category: Global Disarmament, Strength: Strong

The General Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGES the right of a nation to possess and maintain an arsenal of nuclear weapons for the purposes of defense;

However,

ALARMED at the rapid escalations of tensions between nations possessing nuclear weapons;

CONCERNED that the proliferation of nuclear weapons begets increased possibilities of a nuclear conflict;

UNDERSTANDING the potential for great loss of human life and potential world destruction possible through the use of nuclear weapons;

DEFINES nuclear weapons as any explosive device deriving its power from nuclear reactions that is used for military purposes;

Hereby:

PROHIBITS the total yield of the nuclear arsenals of any given WA member nation from exceeding the threshold required to make one quarter of the area on the celestial body on which the aforementioned nation resides uninhabitable;

URGES WA member nations to halt or slow the proliferation of nuclear weapons;

ENCOURAGES cooperation between member nations in the safe and non-destructive removal of nuclear weapons from nations that currently exceed the aforementioned limit.

(First draft is in the spoiler part)
Last edited by Tvars on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aprenencia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Aprenencia » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:38 pm

Sorry, there is already a resolution on this topic, it's GA resolution #10 "Nuclear Arms Possession Act."

Tvars
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tvars » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:54 pm

Aprenencia wrote:Sorry, there is already a resolution on this topic, it's GA resolution #10 "Nuclear Arms Possession Act."

GA resolution states:

1. DECLARES that WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons to defend themselves from hostile nations,

2. PRESERVES the right for individual nations to decide if they want to possess nuclear weapons,

3. REQUIRES that any nation choosing to possess nuclear weapons take every available precaution to ensure that their weapons do not fall into the wrong hands.

This resolution doesn't prevent the possession of nuclear weapons. It simply introduces additional restrictions.

Aprenencia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Aprenencia » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:56 pm

Tvars wrote:
Aprenencia wrote:Sorry, there is already a resolution on this topic, it's GA resolution #10 "Nuclear Arms Possession Act."

GA resolution states:

1. DECLARES that WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons to defend themselves from hostile nations,

2. PRESERVES the right for individual nations to decide if they want to possess nuclear weapons,

3. REQUIRES that any nation choosing to possess nuclear weapons take every available precaution to ensure that their weapons do not fall into the wrong hands.

This resolution doesn't prevent the possession of nuclear weapons. It simply introduces additional restrictions.

I see what you mean now, my advice would be to make sure this proposal doesn't contradict the resolution.
Last edited by Aprenencia on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:23 pm

“First of all, what is the intended category and strength of this proposal? Secondly, what reasons do you have for the specific numerical limits in the proposal? Ideally, these should be based on a specific threshold rather than arbitrary numbers. In this case, it is recommended to use the reasons themselves rather than numbers in the proposal.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:28 pm

Tvars wrote:ENCOURAGES cooperation between member nations in the safe removal of nuclear weapons from nations that currently exceed the aforementioned limit.

OOC: In addition to what Kenmoria said, I'm sure whatever nation you want to get rid of some of their nukes, will happily send them to you on ICBMs, with the warheads armed. Or drop them from orbit, depending on the tech level of the nation. That tends to be the usual answer, just so you know. :P Araraukar doesn't have any, nor does the alternative Earth it exists on. Araraukar doesn't even have a military.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Tvars
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tvars » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Tvars wrote:ENCOURAGES cooperation between member nations in the safe removal of nuclear weapons from nations that currently exceed the aforementioned limit.

OOC: In addition to what Kenmoria said, I'm sure whatever nation you want to get rid of some of their nukes, will happily send them to you on ICBMs, with the warheads armed. Or drop them from orbit, depending on the tech level of the nation. That tends to be the usual answer, just so you know. :P Araraukar doesn't have any, nor does the alternative Earth it exists on. Araraukar doesn't even have a military.

I'll be sure to specify the safe and non destructive removal then.

Tvars
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tvars » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“First of all, what is the intended category and strength of this proposal? Secondly, what reasons do you have for the specific numerical limits in the proposal? Ideally, these should be based on a specific threshold rather than arbitrary numbers. In this case, it is recommended to use the reasons themselves rather than numbers in the proposal.”

The intended category would be global disarmament and the strength would probably be strong. I chose the number based on real life factors. 2,000 is just over the current deployed nuclear weapons by the US and Russia each. 3000 MT is just over what the combined yield of an arsenal of 2,000 B83 nuclear bombs would produce (which is the most powerful bomb currently deployed).

The united American-Isreali empire
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The united American-Isreali empire » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm

i say deney any limations. the uaie supports arms for all states.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:53 pm

Tvars wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“First of all, what is the intended category and strength of this proposal? Secondly, what reasons do you have for the specific numerical limits in the proposal? Ideally, these should be based on a specific threshold rather than arbitrary numbers. In this case, it is recommended to use the reasons themselves rather than numbers in the proposal.”

The intended category would be global disarmament and the strength would probably be strong. I chose the number based on real life factors. 2,000 is just over the current deployed nuclear weapons by the US and Russia each. 3000 MT is just over what the combined yield of an arsenal of 2,000 B83 nuclear bombs would produce (which is the most powerful bomb currently deployed).

(OOC: Both the category and strength are correct, and should be placed on the draft itself at the top. Real life factors are generally a poor metric for the World Assembly, since many of its members are completely different from any actually-existing nation. I suggest finding some other standard, based on how much harm the nuclear weapons can inflict or something else of similar abstraction.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Tvars
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tvars » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:58 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Tvars wrote:

(OOC: Both the category and strength are correct, and should be placed on the draft itself at the top. Real life factors are generally a poor metric for the World Assembly, since many of its members are completely different from any actually-existing nation. I suggest finding some other standard, based on how much harm the nuclear weapons can inflict or something else of similar abstraction.)

Ah okay. Should I try and make the guidelines more vague and abstract? What sort of metrics are there that apply in this context?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Tvars wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Both the category and strength are correct, and should be placed on the draft itself at the top. Real life factors are generally a poor metric for the World Assembly, since many of its members are completely different from any actually-existing nation. I suggest finding some other standard, based on how much harm the nuclear weapons can inflict or something else of similar abstraction.)

Ah okay. Should I try and make the guidelines more vague and abstract? What sort of metrics are there that apply in this context?

(OOC: To be entirely honest, I’m not completely sure what exactly should be used; if I do come up with any ideas in a few a days, I’ll tell you. Generally speaking, the metric should be one that makes sense in any given location in the world, or other earth-like planets.

It would be along the same lines as ‘may not possess any more nuclear weapons than would be necessary to completely destroy all life within a city-wide radius’. Although that definition is both far too limiting and incredibly vague as to what constitutes a ‘city-wide radius’, it does demonstrate the type of restrictions that should be aimed for.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Tvars
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tvars » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Tvars wrote:

(OOC: To be entirely honest, I’m not completely sure what exactly should be used; if I do come up with any ideas in a few a days, I’ll tell you. Generally speaking, the metric should be one that makes sense in any given location in the world, or other earth-like planets.

It would be along the same lines as ‘may not possess any more nuclear weapons than would be necessary to completely destroy all life within a city-wide radius’. Although that definition is both far too limiting and incredibly vague as to what constitutes a ‘city-wide radius’, it does demonstrate the type of restrictions that should be aimed for.)

Alrighty, thanks. I'll do a bit of brainstorming myself then.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Tvars wrote:PROHIBITS WA member nations from possessing a nuclear arsenal greater than 2,000 nuclear warheads;

PROHIBITS the total yield of the nuclear arsenals of any given WA member nation from exceeding 3,000 megatons;

Where are you pulling these numbers from? They seem purely arbitrary with no real justification for them.

And imposing limits on the arsenals of WA nations is never going to go down well, as since non-WA nations can have as many as they like irrespective of what we WA nations do, it will put us WA nations at a profound strategic disadvantage having our arsenals hobbled.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The New Sicilian State
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sicilian State » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:31 am

"I'll stray from the thrice aforementioned point that arbitrary numbers are arbitrary. Your 'URGES' clause doesn't actually mandate anything, it just urges member states to slow down a terribly quick pattern of production. I understand that a simple limit on megatonnage and warhead quantity would be imposed, but would it not be simple for these member states to lease their nuclear weapons to other allies? Surely one could develop a network of weaponized allies without violating the resolution, and one could do so quickly considering the reduction of production speed isn't mandatory."
From the office of: John Crawford
Ambassador of Foreign Affairs
Office: the floor between the copier and the water fountain
Palermo Parliamentary Building
Ideological Bullshark # -26

Tvars
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tvars » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:24 am

The New Sicilian State wrote:"I'll stray from the thrice aforementioned point that arbitrary numbers are arbitrary. Your 'URGES' clause doesn't actually mandate anything, it just urges member states to slow down a terribly quick pattern of production. I understand that a simple limit on megatonnage and warhead quantity would be imposed, but would it not be simple for these member states to lease their nuclear weapons to other allies? Surely one could develop a network of weaponized allies without violating the resolution, and one could do so quickly considering the reduction of production speed isn't mandatory."

"I thank you for refraining to mention the rather arbitrary values previously given. The guidelines are currently being tweaked in order to have a more reasonably transparent and scientific purpose. You bring up a very good point in regards to nuclear production, and I wholeheartedly agree. However, I feel that further restricting nuclear weapons and their production would lead to even more pushback than is already expected for the resolution. I unfortunately feel that it is necessary to have some sort of compromise here in order to make any progress."

Tvars
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tvars » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:31 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Tvars wrote:

(OOC: I'll start doing ooc now. I wasn't doing it before since I was new and didn't know stuff. I was thinking possibly prohibiting the combined yield of the nuclear arsenal from the threshold required to render the world uninhabitable. I still feel that that's relatively vague and perhaps still too limiting. What are your thoughts on this?)

Slackertown
Attaché

Founded: Dec 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Slackertown » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35 am

If every nation has 2000 nuclear missiles then this accomplishes absolutely nothing.

In addition it could encourage use of the weapons in a roundabout way. If I need to replace 100 missiles to stay under my quota, why not use them?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:47 am

Slackertown wrote:If every nation has 2000 nuclear missiles then this accomplishes absolutely nothing.

In addition it could encourage use of the weapons in a roundabout way. If I need to replace 100 missiles to stay under my quota, why not use them?

"Probably because the cost of using those 100 nuclear weapons exceeds the cost of disassembling them."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:53 am

Against in full. If the author so wishes for Thermodolia to have less nukes then they’ll receive all 40,000 of them, armed of course
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:02 am

Tvars wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: To be entirely honest, I’m not completely sure what exactly should be used; if I do come up with any ideas in a few a days, I’ll tell you. Generally speaking, the metric should be one that makes sense in any given location in the world, or other earth-like planets.

(OOC: I'll start doing ooc now. I wasn't doing it before since I was new and didn't know stuff. I was thinking possibly prohibiting the combined yield of the nuclear arsenal from the threshold required to render the world uninhabitable. I still feel that that's relatively vague and perhaps still too limiting. What are your thoughts on this?)

(OOC: Marking with OOC doesn’t really matter too much; some posters that don’t do so have OOC as default. I do so as a personal preference.

That is a good start. In a clause format it could look similar to ‘Prohibits WA member states from having a number of nuclear weapons that has ability to kill the majority of sapient life on the planet or body on which the member nation is located.’

I should also point out here that you will receive a lot of opposition on this matter, since non-WA members will not have to abide by this restriction. I don’t think this will immediately scuttle the proposal, but is something to bear in mind.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Tvars
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tvars » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:18 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Tvars wrote:

(OOC: Marking with OOC doesn’t really matter too much; some posters that don’t do so have OOC as default. I do so as a personal preference.

That is a good start. In a clause format it could look similar to ‘Prohibits WA member states from having a number of nuclear weapons that has ability to kill the majority of sapient life on the planet or body on which the member nation is located.’

I should also point out here that you will receive a lot of opposition on this matter, since non-WA members will not have to abide by this restriction. I don’t think this will immediately scuttle the proposal, but is something to bear in mind.)

(OOC: Alrighty. I expect opposition. I was told to expect it from the outset so I'm not that surprised. How about this then: PROHIBITS the combined yield of the nuclear arsenal of any given WA member nation from exceeding the threshold required to render half of the celestial body on which the nation is located uninhabitable. I want to stay away from population based metrics since population density is too big a variable here.)

Tvars
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tvars » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:35 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Tvars wrote:

Perhaps even reduce that to a quarter of the total area.
Last edited by Tvars on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Tvars wrote:How about this then: PROHIBITS the combined yield of the nuclear arsenal of any given WA member nation from exceeding the threshold required to render half of the celestial body on which the nation is located uninhabitable. I want to stay away from population based metrics since population density is too big a variable here.

I think this is the wrong route to go down, as "uninhabitable" is purely dependent on the level of tech that someone is willing to throw at a planet to make it inhabitable. For example, even the Moon is not uninhabitable if you threw enough tech into making sealed geodesic domes to live in.

Similarly, a planet that is a nuclear wasteland is not uninhabitable if one lived in mine shafts etc.

Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Tvars
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tvars » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:17 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Tvars wrote:How about this then: PROHIBITS the combined yield of the nuclear arsenal of any given WA member nation from exceeding the threshold required to render half of the celestial body on which the nation is located uninhabitable. I want to stay away from population based metrics since population density is too big a variable here.

I think this is the wrong route to go down, as "uninhabitable" is purely dependent on the level of tech that someone is willing to throw at a planet to make it inhabitable. For example, even the Moon is not uninhabitable if you threw enough tech into making sealed geodesic domes to live in.

Similarly, a planet that is a nuclear wasteland is not uninhabitable if one lived in mine shafts etc.

True. Perhaps irradiate to a conventionally unlivable degree? Or maybe to enough to kill all natural life within a given area of the planet?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly