NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ending School Segregation

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:37 am

"Ambassador, we'd be grateful if you could clear some things up a bit:

Does clause 1 ban homeschooling? Also, does that clause mandate member nations have to make children from different backgrounds sit together regardless of what the children themselves want, all in the name of diversity?

In clause 3, what exactly does 'poorly treated' mean? Children tease eachother, argue, fight, taunt etc, this seems like an easy way for a troublesome parent to abuse the system to pester the school for every little play fight."
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:34 am

Does this pass the 'issue meriting international consideration' issue test, or is it rightly an issue that should be left to member nations?
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:12 pm

“We are strongly opposed to clause three - by Comfedian law, those who disagree with Our Leader, Comrade BB, are to be imprisoned for the remainder of their lives. Including children.”

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Comfed wrote:“We are strongly opposed to clause three - by Comfedian law, those who disagree with Our Leader, Comrade BB, are to be imprisoned for the remainder of their lives. Including children.”

(OOC: See Protecting Free Expression.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:55 pm

Bump.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:43 am

Our concerns about Clause 1 have not been addressed. We remain opposed.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:18 pm

This was submitted
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:56 pm

Ardiveds wrote:"Ambassador, we'd be grateful if you could clear some things up a bit:

Does clause 1 ban homeschooling? Also, does that clause mandate member nations have to make children from different backgrounds sit together regardless of what the children themselves want, all in the name of diversity?

In clause 3, what exactly does 'poorly treated' mean? Children tease eachother, argue, fight, taunt etc, this seems like an easy way for a troublesome parent to abuse the system to pester the school for every little play fight."

"These concerns haven't been answered by the author."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:54 pm

“I have a very precise issue with this proposal - the word ‘self-segregation’ in clause 1. If students are self-segregating, it doesn’t seem to be proportionate or reasonable to have the WA put a stop to this. If children want to make friendship groups based on a protected class: let them, because having international law put a stop to that would silly.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:16 am

Kenmoria wrote:“I have a very precise issue with this proposal - the word ‘self-segregation’ in clause 1. If students are self-segregating, it doesn’t seem to be proportionate or reasonable to have the WA put a stop to this. If children want to make friendship groups based on a protected class: let them, because having international law put a stop to that would silly.”

We already raised the issue of self-segregation and we were ignored. It is safe to say that the delegation of Imperium Anglorum does not care for freedom of association. Policing whom the students have as friends is not a good idea, and this proposal would force member nations to intrude into the personal lives of the students...
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:05 am

Kenmoria wrote:“I have a very precise issue with this proposal - the word ‘self-segregation’ in clause 1. If students are self-segregating, it doesn’t seem to be proportionate or reasonable to have the WA put a stop to this. If children want to make friendship groups based on a protected class: let them, because having international law put a stop to that would silly.”

Given the option to interpret 'self-segregation' at the school level and at the student-by-student level, only nations acting to their self-detriment would interpret 'self-segregation', which is contextualised only at the school level, to imply an obligation to spend the enormous time and resources to regulate interpersonal relationships.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:08 am

OOC: This proposal as written is an Honest Mistake violation for describing the WA as "august", when it is, in fact, "shit".

IC follows.

“While not having particularly strong views on this proposal as we don’t consider it an international issue but also don’t think it likely to be actively harmful – we do question why only those children ‘physically unfit’ are exempted. What about mental, psychological, behavioral unfitness? Similarly the hardship is assumed to be imposed on ‘the child’, but not on other children or teachers, for example by the perennially disruptive?”

-- Gregor Goðasson
Cabinet Office Liaison Attaché to the Grænfjall Observer Mission
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:53 pm

Graintfjall wrote:“While not having particularly strong views on this proposal as we don’t consider it an international issue but also don’t think it likely to be actively harmful – we do question why only those children ‘physically unfit’ are exempted. What about mental, psychological, behavioral unfitness? Similarly the hardship is assumed to be imposed on ‘the child’, but not on other children or teachers, for example by the perennially disruptive?”

Elsie. We included the provisions mostly to provide exemptions for parents who constantly travel, as enrolment would be very difficult for them. The question of physical unfitness we included mostly for those cases where someone's life could be in danger, for example, by spread of germs to someone who is immunocompromised. Behaviourally, I don't see why students who are rowdy should be denied schooling. Even if a person is sufficiently rowdy to merit imprisonment or suspension, they still should be schooled. To do otherwise would be a great injustice.

Ardiveds wrote:Does clause 1 ban homeschooling? Also, does that clause mandate member nations have to make children from different backgrounds sit together regardless of what the children themselves want, all in the name of diversity?

Elsie. It does not ban home schooling if such home schooling would develop competence to interact in a pluralistic society and is not self-segregated by parental income, race, religion, or other protected classes. If you believe home schooling fails to do those things, it should do better before being permitted.

Ardiveds wrote:In clause 3, what exactly does 'poorly treated' mean? Children tease each other, argue, fight, taunt etc, this seems like an easy way for a troublesome parent to abuse the system to pester the school for every little play fight."

Elsie. Poorly treated means what your nation interprets it to mean, subject to oversight under the Administrative Compliance Act. I would interpret it, however, to mean bullying or harassment. Regardless, if we want schools to actually be effective both at learning and at promoting tolerance, they cannot also be places where racial minorities are called racial slurs or people with disabilities are mocked to their faces. If you think children can learn effectively in such an environment, I invite you to send your children there.

Anyway, given the option to interpret 'poorly treated' at an actually-poorly-treated and at fight-thought-crime level, only nations acting to their self-detriment would interpret 'poorly treated', which is contextualised with specific goals to further education and inclusion in mind, to imply an obligation to spend the enormous time and resources to regulate interpersonal relationships directly.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:08 pm

"How exactly is school bullying an international issue, Ambassador?"

Wayne
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:04 pm

Whereas the exclusion of minority students from education with the majority population in separate educational facilities creates an inherently unequal quality of education by neglecting the student's ability to discuss and exchange views with other students:

And whereas, if the Assembly is to ensure minority students' inclusion in schools, safeguards are required to prevent staff from treating those students poorly and to protect such students from being harassed:

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:16 am

Madame Wellesley, could you address how you envision this resolution interacting with GA 493 and its mandates? Specifically we are concerned that under standard interpretations of our government and presumably most other reasonably enlightened ones GA493 grants what a protected class (deaf inidividuals against whom discrimination is prohibited) an explicit right to attend education that is almost certainly segregated by any rational measure.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:02 am

Elsie. The definition in GA 493 in section 1(f) is broad to the degree of including standard audial schools with sufficient provisions for the teaching of non-audial languages. We don't feel that an educational institution with the ability to give excellent non-audial instruction requires total segregation of audial and non-audial students by necessity. Nor does our proposal call for the abolition of school choice: parents are eminently permitted to choose what schools are acceptable, so long as those schools help their students 'develop competence to interact in a pluralistic society'.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:20 am

“Following clarification on the mandates of clause 1, I am happy to report that I have voted in favour of this proposal. It’s not as though homeschooling is any less proficient at giving a child a pluralistic education, assuming the parents do so properly.”
My pronouns are he/him.

West Phoenicia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2017

Postby West Phoenicia » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 am

A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts??

A very misleading title of the resolution. And a very manipulative motive to push a bill through, under a false resolution.

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 am

Shocked and appalled by the intrusive and heavy handed nature of this resolution. Despite being very much against segregation and segregationist attitudes, the end of Clause 1 will strip parents of the rights to choose a school for their own child. If the following statement was taken out, I would consider voting for. As it is, a not particularly liberal reading of this statement "they shall prohibit segregation and self-segregation of students by parental income, race, religion, or other protected classes..." is a cudgel that has the power to single-handedly destroy religious schools, as well as further curtail the rights of home-schooling parents. Integration and the fostering of openness to diverse viewpoints is an admirable goal, but this resolution does more to deaden diversity and make a mockery of pluralism than actually advance the growth of a welcoming and inclusive society. If state-enforced conformity is to be prized above all else, this should be voted for. As it is, I will vote Against.
Last edited by Land Without Shrimp on Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 am

Land Without Shrimp wrote:Shocked and appalled by the intrusive and heavy handed nature of this resolution. Despite being very much against segregation and segregationist attitudes, the end of Clause 1 will strip parents of the rights to choose a school for their own child. If the following statement was taken out, I would consider voting for. As it is, a not particularly liberal reading of this statement "they shall prohibit segregation and self-segregation of students by parental income, race, religion, or other protected classes..." is a cudgel that has the power to single-handedly destroy religious schools, as well as further curtail the rights of home-schooling parents. Integration and the fostering of openness to diverse viewpoints is an admirable goal, but this resolution does more to deaden diversity and make a mockery of pluralism than actually advance the growth of a welcoming and inclusive society. If state-enforced conformity is to be prized above all else, this should be voted for. As it is, I will vote Against.

“Our colleague perfectly expressed why this resolution should be opposed.... we are also voting against unless the author can clarify how exactly the resolution will affect religious schools.”

Attempted Socialism
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Attempted Socialism » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:00 am

"After the failure of the homeschooling resolution, which would have allowed parents to infantilise, indoctrinate and academically stunt their children, it is a delight to see a resolution which efficiently deals with homeschooling. This resolution, neatly, does not ban homeschooling, it merely requires it to follow certain standards. If homeschoolers can show that their teaching methods are adequate, that is, equivalent to the didactic competences of an entire school staff, they are free to pursue their wicked agenda. If not, then perhaps they should actually think of the children. Further, school segregation is an abhorrent evil, which we have sufficiently abolished at home, so abolishing it for all World Assembly nations is an easy sell."

Represented in the World Assembly by Ambassador Robert Mortimer Pride, called The Regicide
Assume OOC unless otherwise indicated. My WA Authorship.
Cui Bono, quod seipsos custodes custodiunt?
Bobberino: "The academic tone shines through."
Who am I in real life, my opinions and notes
My NS career

Velosia
Attaché

Founded: Nov 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Velosia » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:28 am

Ambassador, would you be so kind as to provide some clarification on the resolution's attitude towards religious segregation?

It clearly implies that all forms of religious segregation will not be tolerated. However, there are a number of nations afford certain religious communities the right to establish so-called 'faith schools'. These are institutions of learning, generally operating with the full support of the state, that openly favour the admittance of children who are part of the same religious community over those who are not.

It is still illegal to prohibit children of other faiths from attending but, as there is an open bias towards children of one faith over others, this is undeniably an example of religious discrimination.

While this delegation does not share this view, the nations in question would see this as a form of protection for minority religious communities and feel that it is a morally justified position to take. A form of 'positive discrimination' so to speak, though we would argue that any form of discrimination is still discrimination.

But I digress. Would such a situation still full under, what this resolution would describe as, an example of unacceptable religious discrimination?
NATION | OVERVIEW | ANTHEM
System: Elective constitutional monarchy, parliamentary democracy
Legislature: Councils of the Realm, bicameral
Upper: Council of Electors
Lower: Council of Aldermen

Head of State: Tohmas IX, King
Head of Government: Alfred Harding, Prime Minister
Capital (and largest city): Ethalsted
KINGDOM OF VELOSIA
"Nemo Nos et Dividerent"
Twentysomething soft-spoken British male

Lifelong agnostic atheist

Middle-class, rural Conservative Party voter and proud monarchist

Unionist, but supports constituent countries' right to self-determination

Voted to leave the European Union entirely on the grounds of sovereignty

Eurosceptic and Brexiteer, but a proud European

Edward Colston did nothing wrong

Prefers Pimm's to politics

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:38 am

The Empire supports this resolution whole-heartedly. Though our schools will remain segrated between male and female, we do provide the same quality of education for both parties.
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Velosia wrote:Ambassador, would you be so kind as to provide some clarification on the resolution's attitude towards religious segregation?

It clearly implies that all forms of religious segregation will not be tolerated. However, there are a number of nations afford certain religious communities the right to establish so-called 'faith schools'. These are institutions of learning, generally operating with the full support of the state, that openly favour the admittance of children who are part of the same religious community over those who are not.

It is still illegal to prohibit children of other faiths from attending but, as there is an open bias towards children of one faith over others, this is undeniably an example of religious discrimination.

While this delegation does not share this view, the nations in question would see this as a form of protection for minority religious communities and feel that it is a morally justified position to take. A form of 'positive discrimination' so to speak, though we would argue that any form of discrimination is still discrimination.

But I digress. Would such a situation still full under, what this resolution would describe as, an example of unacceptable religious discrimination?

“There are a few elements of clause 1 to unpack here. Firstly, the clause states that children have the right to ‘develop competence to interact with a pluralistic society’. A reasonable reading of this clause would be that children must be at least taught about the existence of other faiths and belief systems, insofar as these are present in society. This shouldn’t be an issue. The next part of clause 1 states that member states shall prohibit segregation. Incentivisation, though still immoral, is not segregation. Therefore, clause 1 does not prohibit these faith schools on that point, either.

Clause 3 could potentially be an issue, given the possibly-inevitable religious-based hostility that would occur to a student of a minority religion in one of these faith schools. However, this is not a certainty and, therefore, there is no outright prohibition on faith schools from this standpoint. To summarise, religious schools are not prohibited by this legislation, unless those schools are having serious failings in preparing their students for life in adulthood.”
My pronouns are he/him.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives