NATION

PASSWORD

[MOOT - SEE GA#597] Prohibiting Marry-Your-Rapist Clauses

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

[MOOT - SEE GA#597] Prohibiting Marry-Your-Rapist Clauses

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:35 am

TINHAMPTONIAN MINISTRY OF WORLD ASSEMBLY AFFAIRS: Notice of Submission Warning
Considering the original draft publication date for this resolution (March 22nd 2020), let it hereby be known by the Tinhamptonian Ministry of WA Affairs that this proposal will be submitted, lack of complaints notwithstanding, on March 31st 2020 SOON. Thank you for your consideration.

Character count: 839
Word count: 136
Lydia Anderson, interim Delegate-Ambassador: This is not just her platform for change - this is, put succinctly, common sense.

OOC: "...or any other actor" in Article a would prevent, for example, presidential pardons with equivalent effect to statutory marry-your-rapist clauses, and verdicts by the WA Judiciary Committee's courts or any future International Criminal Court to that effect.
OOC 2: Don't let anybody tell you that the 2010s were a bad decade: Morocco, Lebanon, Tunisia, Jordan, and Palestine - as well as other states whose names might well be escaping me - have all struck out marry-your-rapist clauses since 2014, thus reducing the number of countries that retain them from 17 to 12. Perhaps I should have started to draft this in August 2017 instead...
OOC 3: This was Draft #1c. It is now on hold given Article 7 of Addressing Domestic Abuse.
Prohibiting Marry-Your-Rapist Clauses
A resolution to enact uniform standards that protect workers, consumers, and the general public.
Category: Regulation
Area of Effect: Legal Reform
Proposed by: Tinhampton

Agreed that the eradication of acts of sexual violence (such as rape) is in the public interest, but also that it can only be accomplished with a comprehensive approach including legislation, and

Concerned that, while the police are required to treat all sexual crimes equally, they are implicitly allowed to withdraw such charges if the suspect then weds their victim - although such marriages seldom end happily...

The General Assembly hereby:
  1. forbids the lifting or suspension of charges for sexual crimes on the sole grounds that the suspect has entered (or promised to enter) into a marriage or civil union with their victim, and
  2. orders members to rescind all provisions allowing for the lifting or suspension of charges for sexual crimes solely on the above grounds, and not to enact such provisions in future.

CHANGELOG (OOCly, all times London time):
  • 23-Mar-2020, 6pm: Title changed from "Don't Marry Your Rapist" to "To Prohibit Marry-Your-Rapist Clauses."
  • 23-Mar-2020, 7:40pm: Title changed from "To Prohibit Marry-Your-Rapist Clauses" to "Prohibiting Marry-Your-Rapist Clauses."
  • 23-Mar-2020, 7:50pm: Amend Article a accordingly: "declares that charges for sexual crimes may not be lifted or suspended in any member state - whether by law enforcement, a court of law, or any other actor - on the grounds..." ---> "forbids the lifting or suspension of charges for sexual crimes on the sole grounds...". Also add the word "solely" in Article b.
  • 24-Mar-2020, 9:15pm: Amend AGREED accordingly: "sapient" ---> "their inherent."
  • 24-Mar-2020, 11:30pm: Amend AGREED accordingly: "since violence against women is opposed to their inherent equality and dignity, its eradication is in the public interest, especially with a cohesive approach that includes legal support for female agency in relationships" ---> "the eradication of acts of sexual violence (such as rape) is in the public interest, but also that it can only be accomplished with a comprehensive approach including legislation"
  • 31-Mar-2020, 4:35am: recatted from CivilRights/Mild to Regulation/LegalReform

"I'm sorry, but how does this not contradict GA#240?" The author's authorly opinion:
There are two major clauses we must focus on - for which we must introduce sexual crime suspect A and their victim, B:
  1. PROHIBITS member-states from creating a legal distinction between sexual crimes which take place within a marriage, or similar relationship, and sexual crimes which do not. Member state X decides to prosecute A for committing a sexual crime outside of marriage to B. A marries B. X drops its prosecution against A for their extramarital sexual crime, because A has married B. X is not "creating a legal distinction between sexual crimes" based on marital status, because the only sexual crime that occurred here took place outside the marriage.
  2. REQUIRES..., which may be split into two parts for our purposes:
    1. REQUIRES that all sexual crimes, and accusations of such crimes, receive the same level of attention as any other crime of similar magnitude and a response from legal authorities that is timely and appropriate to the circumstances of their execution... A commits a sexual crime against B. B reports it to the police, who then deliver a "timely and appropriate" response in the round. GA#240 doesn't stop them from retracting the consequences of that response later because A and B get married; it only dictates the circumstances in which such a response must be made, and the "attention" that the Old Bill must give to it as it happens (but then who pays this attention?).
    2. ...including efforts to protect the victim from a repeated attack by the perpetrator, regardless of whether the victim and perpetrator are in a marriage, or similar relationship, or not. Simply because X drops its prosecution against A (as enumerated in point 1 above) does not send a message to A that they can continue to commit sexual crimes against B and get away scot-free; indeed, if A commits another sexual crime against B, they can report it to the police again, who will then deliver a T&A response in the round again etc.
I'll happily abandon this if it turns out that what I've written above is Not Even Wrong.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:37 am, edited 9 times in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:55 pm

OOC: How does your mockery of a proposal have anything to do with the title?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:07 pm

Support, because eh why not.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:14 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: How does your mockery of a proposal have anything to do with the title?

ALSO OOC: This proposal would, if passed, require member states to repeal any marry-your-rapist clauses that may exist in their legislation... although it would apply to those suspected of any sexual crime, not only rape.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:38 pm

"No."

Wayne
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:35 am

"This bans a popular carrot that would be used in place of a forced marriage stick. No civilized nation would be affected by this, leaving only our dearly absurd friends in the lurch. I can't see what there is to oppose."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Island Girl Herby
Attaché

Founded: Feb 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Island Girl Herby » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"This bans a popular carrot that would be used in place of a forced marriage stick. No civilized nation would be affected by this, leaving only our dearly absurd friends in the lurch. I can't see what there is to oppose."

You mean other than the title? Ehhhh okay hear me out. The title implies ehhh no no no the title IMPLORES that victims can’t marry their rapists which is not what the mandates ehhhh mandate. I mean I get what this proposal is tryin’ to do but that ain’t it.

Also I see a problem with this. What if two people who are citizens of nation A are engaged and ehhhh engage in sex in nation B where one or the other ain’t of legal age in nation B? This basically forces nation B to prosecute one of the engaged couple for statutory rape. Don’t seem fair.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:56 am

Lydia Anderson, interim D-A: The title has been changed from "Don't Marry Your Rapist" to "To Prohibit Marry-Your-Rapist Clauses." There have been no changes to the proposal's category or text.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:59 am

Omit 'To'. Same warrants for why 'On' is bad.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:14 pm

OOC: WIth slightly less tired brain: could the word "only" be added before "on the grounds" in there? Just emphasizing that it can't be the only reason. It might be one of the reasons given, especially in cases where the alledged victim wasn't the one who claims the rape happened (this has happened lots of times when parents dislike who daughter is dating), but not the only one.

(Also, don't drink shoggoths even if they're in a wine bottle, especially on a trans-Siberian train carrying mining crews to work in a mine deep enough to have disturbed nameless horrors. And no, my dream was not a nightmare.)
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Anderson: A thing, I suppose? Right, now I need to sozzle the watercapp---croppers...

OOC: Let me know if you prefer the old version of Article a.
OOC 2: Why did I dream last night that "Ban on Secret Treaties" was repealed in October 2019? O_o

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Island Girl Herby wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"This bans a popular carrot that would be used in place of a forced marriage stick. No civilized nation would be affected by this, leaving only our dearly absurd friends in the lurch. I can't see what there is to oppose."

You mean other than the title? Ehhhh okay hear me out. The title implies ehhh no no no the title IMPLORES that victims can’t marry their rapists which is not what the mandates ehhhh mandate. I mean I get what this proposal is tryin’ to do but that ain’t it.

Also I see a problem with this. What if two people who are citizens of nation A are engaged and ehhhh engage in sex in nation B where one or the other ain’t of legal age in nation B? This basically forces nation B to prosecute one of the engaged couple for statutory rape. Don’t seem fair.

"...what? The mandate takes away the carrot offered to the social circle to forgive the crime. That is absolutely valuable. Forced marriages are already illegal, but states can still aggressively coerce individuals into legitimizing a crime. This stops that. How is that not good?

"Further, rape is clearly different than statutory rape. Its why we denote statutory rape with the term 'statutory' even if bans on rape are themselves statutory law. That isn't a terribly strong argument."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:54 pm

"isn't the point of these laws so the victim isn't murdered by their family?"
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:56 pm

Aclion wrote:

"isn't the point of these laws so the victim isn't murdered by their family?"

"Disowned, really."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:12 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Aclion wrote:"isn't the point of these laws so the victim isn't murdered by their family?"

"Disowned, really."

IC: "In some cultures that may be one and same, really. But as per the proposal, the title and the contents still do not match. The clauses present do not actually prohibit requirements to marry one's rapist, but rather have it so that doing so or being in any kind of relationship with them can't be used as the only reason to abandon rape charges. I get that the actual contents are harder to make a snappy title of, but it may come back to bite the author if this goes to vote, as voters generally dislike dishonest titles. At least the ones who are awake when entering their vote."

OOC: Also, why are the active clauses a. and b. when there is no numbered main clause(s) for them to be subclauses of?

Oh and "opposed to sapient equality and dignity" in the preamble can really just drop the sapient from it, because it specifically mentions women instead of females, it's fairly understandable that it refers to people to begin with.
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Anderson: The kinds of policies that my fellow ambassador Äyrämäki was describing are colloquially known as "marry-your-rapist clauses," hence the title. Forced marriage was outlawed by Resolution one-sixty.

(OOC: Lettered main clauses are part of my house style. Also, "sapient" ---> "their inherent" in the first prefatory clause.)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:15 pm

“I don’t see why the preamble mentions specifically women when it is conceivable that people of all genders could be forced into marriage on account of rape.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:28 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“I don’t see why the preamble mentions specifically women when it is conceivable that people of all genders could be forced into marriage on account of rape.”

Anderson: Ambassador Lewitt, sir - the author of the draft I was given, who is now hiding out from the rest of the World and its Assembly for the next couple of months, argues that rape is a subset of Violence Against Women since it is an act of sexual violence. There is conceivably the possibility that non-women, most notably men, could be victims of rape, but Tinhamptonian law does not treat it as such, and in any event many rape victims are female.

(OOC: The BBFC classifies every movie/film broadcast in the United Kingdom. Its classification guidelines state that it will not classify movies which promote/glorify "rape or other non-consensual sexually violent behaviour." Rape is an act of violence. Ergo, it can be classified as a subset of Violence Against Women - which therefore makes it positively dreadful, dreadfully wrong, and wrong enough to be made illegal. Understood?)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:58 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“I don’t see why the preamble mentions specifically women when it is conceivable that people of all genders could be forced into marriage on account of rape.”

Anderson: Ambassador Lewitt, sir - the author of the draft I was given, who is now hiding out from the rest of the World and its Assembly for the next couple of months, argues that rape is a subset of Violence Against Women since it is an act of sexual violence. There is conceivably the possibility that non-women, most notably men, could be victims of rape, but Tinhamptonian law does not treat it as such, and in any event many rape victims are female.

(OOC: The BBFC classifies every movie/film broadcast in the United Kingdom. Its classification guidelines state that it will not classify movies which promote/glorify "rape or other non-consensual sexually violent behaviour." Rape is an act of violence. Ergo, it can be classified as a subset of Violence Against Women - which therefore makes it positively dreadful, dreadfully wrong, and wrong enough to be made illegal. Understood?)

(OOC: I understand that rape can be classed as an act of violence against women, and is also an crime exclusively suffered by women from a legal perspective in many countries. However, given that the WA maintains a species-neutral outlook on the basis that different member nations may have different species, it seems strange to not take a gender-neutral outlook, given that a matriarchy where rape is far more commonly suffered by males is also possible.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:05 pm

Tinhampton wrote:

"I'd agree with the Kenmorian delegation on this subject. Rape being a subset of "Violence Against Women" is not very inclusive, especially considering the vast array of nations who belong to this Assembly, many of which don't even have assigned gender. While obviously not affecting the actual effects of the proposal itself, I personally would feel more at ease if such wording were fixed."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:35 pm

Anderson: WOWZERS! Mind if I borrow your neotransititron?!

OOC: AGREES clause amended due to popular demand.

Waldenes
Attaché

Founded: Mar 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Waldenes » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:57 am

This sounds more than reasonable. The people of Waldenes intend to support your proposal.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 am

Tinhampton wrote:Anderson: The kinds of policies that my fellow ambassador Äyrämäki was describing are colloquially known as "marry-your-rapist clauses," hence the title. Forced marriage was outlawed by Resolution one-sixty.

"You are relatively new here, so you might not know that in the World Assembly, "the resolution does what the resolution says it does", so your title still is one big fat lie. You don't do anything of the sort in the actual mandates. Why do you have such a hard-on for the "marry your rapist" bit? Couldn't the title be just something akin to "Prohibiting Relationship Excuses on Rape Cases"? That would be more or less exactly what you're trying to do in the active clauses."

OOC: My new title suggestion is something like 45 marks long - the current title length maximum is a bit over 50, so you have a little bit of fiddle room left.

Island Girl Herby
Attaché

Founded: Feb 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Island Girl Herby » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:55 am

Much better title, and the “sole grounds” thing seems to address my objection from earlier. Full support!

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:29 pm

"This does not prohibit marry your rapist clauses which are already illegal under WA law. Opposed on account of the mangling of language.

"Also opposed on account of the content. Forced marriages and sexual assault are already prohibited. So this can only act on the tiny subset of cases where some victim consents to subsequently marry the person who sexually assaulted them. The logical outcome here is spouses being compelled to testify against spouses. This is not cricket. Nor is forcing any victim of sexual assault into court."

OOC: I don't think the category. There's nothing here that reduces government control of people's private lives.

Also, does this happen anywhere IRL?
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly