NATION

PASSWORD

[WITHDRAWN] Freedom of Belief

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

[WITHDRAWN] Freedom of Belief

Postby Embolalia » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:51 pm

This resolution will ensure the human right of freedom of belief. It will still allow for theocracies, so long as belief in the state religion is not mandatory. It also ensures non-discrimination in housing and employment on the basis of religion, with the cop-out of letting legitimate religious organizations discriminate.
//--------------------
Freedom of Belief
Human Rights - significant

The General Assembly,

RECOGNIZING the role that religion and personal belief play in the culture of a people;

ACKNOWLEDGING the existence of state religions, and the possible justifications therefor;

FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGING the oppression of people of minority religions in theocratic and non-theocratic states;

DEFINING legitimate religion as a group of beliefs, practices, and ideologies to which a group is devoted, and which does not cause the death or injury of any person;

DEFINING a legitimate religious organization as an established, independant group whose principal purpose is the belief in and practice of a legitimate religion;

PROHIBITS member nations from restricting belief in, or practice of, any legitimate religion;

PROHIBITS member nations from barring the formation of legitimate religious organizations;

PROHIBITS member nations from persecuting, imprisoning, murdering, or discriminating against any person on the basis of that person's legitimate religion;

REQUIRES that member nations ensure legitimate religion is not a factor in the acquisition of housing or employment, unless it is being provided directly by a legitimate religious organization which has not been established by the state;

PROHIBITS member nations from requiring the belief in or practice of a certain religion, but

ALLOWS member nations to establish and maintain a state-sanctioned religion, unless prohibited by other World Assembly, international, or national law, provided that it does not prevent the nation's compliance with the rest of this resolution, and

ALLOWS member nations to make laws based on the beliefs of a specific legitimate religion, provided those laws do not conflict with the rest of this resolution.
Last edited by Embolalia on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:54 pm

I have tried this type of proposal before and will give you the same response I've gotten from other people.

Illegal because of:

Affirms the right of all people to express their personal, moral, political, cultural, religious and ideological views freely and openly, without fear of reprisal;

GA resolution #30-->http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30&p=428#p392
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:21 am

This issue is already covered by Freedom of Expression and the CoCR. This statute would be illegal because it duplicates laws already passed by this organisation.

Yours,
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Return to General Assembly