NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Prohibition of At-Will Termination

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:30 am

Greifenburg wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:
"As I said, most companies do not go suddenly in a situation of existential risk."

OOC
In RL, loss of business during the Coronavirus pandemic, possibly involving government-enforced closure for the duration, could kill off quite a few previously-healthy businesses that rely on fast cash-flow quite rapidly.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:01 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
In RL, loss of business during the Coronavirus pandemic, possibly involving government-enforced closure for the duration, could kill off quite a few previously-healthy businesses that rely on fast cash-flow quite rapidly.

OOC:
In the case of a pandemic or other catastrophes like this, at-will termination will most likely not save your business anyway and is probably one of your least concerns at that moment, not to mention that this is normally the situation where the government will try to step in to prevent mass insolvencies. Also, extreme cases like this make generally a bad defence for generally abusive practices. Imagine someone made the case "In a democracy, a totalitarian mass murderer might be elected, therefore we shouldn't use democracy as it's obviously bad". I'm sure most people would shake their head at that conclusion.
Robert Schreiner, Ambassador of the City and Republic of Greifenburg to the World Assembly

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Cosmosplosion » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:56 pm

"I recognize that at times a business may indeed be operating under financial stress and relieving themselves of employees they may deem unnecessary could be a savior for their business in the long run. I have added additional language that I believe quashes concerns regarding this topic."
Last edited by Cosmosplosion on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Minister of World Assembly Affairs - The North Pacific
Former WA Delegate - The Versutian Federation
Author of GAR #459 - On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes
I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting. - Che Guevara

Economic Left/Right: -7.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:53 pm

I like this idea, but feel this proposal needs more work.

Cosmosplosion wrote:Defines “at-will termination”, for the purposes of this resolution, as an agreement between an employee and employer that the employer may terminate the employment relationship at anytime for any or no reason, with no notice, and no liability for lost compensation or damages,

This line is rather clunky grammatically. I'd change it to something like
Defines "at-will termination" as an agreement between an employee and their employer allowing the employer to terminate the employment relationship at any time for any or no reason, without notice, or without liability for lost compensation or damages,

I also just want to make a point that even if you reject my grammar restructure, I strongly am in favor of changing the "and" in your wording to "or." The way you have it, at-will employment that lets an employer fire an employee for no reason and no liability but with 1 hour's notice is not banned.

Bans the practice of at-will termination, with the following exceptions;

- The employee agreed to be employed in a seasonal or temporary capacity,

What is the rationale for allowing seasonal employees to be terminated at-will? It is my understanding that seasonable employment contracts generally stipulate a fixed "season" (term of work). It seems to be in the spirit of this proposal to protect those workers from sudden termination too, no?

- The employer can demonstrate they are operating at a loss,

I believe some of my colleagues have addressed this already, but this should absolutely be rewritten into a clause which more broadly protects the financial interests of companies which are not presently operating at a loss.

Requires employers to provide reasonable notice to an employee prior to their termination, or to provide compensation equal to which would had been received had reasonable notice been given, upon termination.

I'm a pedantic son-of-a-bitch, but my reading of this says that it is a no-op unless we define "reasonable" because companies could say that thirty seconds is reasonable.

Perhaps we should establish an arbitration organization? Does the WA have a labor relations board?
Last edited by Cisairse on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:45 am

Greifenburg wrote:OOC: Imagine someone made the case "In a democracy, a totalitarian mass murderer might be elected, therefore we shouldn't use democracy as it's obviously bad". I'm sure most people would shake their head at that conclusion.

OOC: Literally why Araraukar is a dictatorship. Though with the added twist that the people voted to make it one. (They had IC reasons after watching what happened to a neigbouring country.) And I wouldn't claim it to be a reasonable reason, but the RL world is rarely reasonable either. :P

Cisairse wrote:Perhaps we should establish an arbitration organization? Does the WA have a labor relations board?

Someone has the list of all the committees floating around here, but adding a committee into the process does certainly not speed the process up. The more bureaucracy there is in something, the slower it's going to happen. And the out-of-work worker, meanwhile, might not be entitled to basic welfare (because they're listed as being employed until the committee decides one way or another) but not get paid by their employer, because in their opinion their job contract has been rightfully terminated. Also, I seriously would not want to be the worker that their employer is forced to keep employing, by some international body's uncaring decision.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:52 am

Araraukar wrote:Someone has the list of all the committees floating around here, but adding a committee into the process does certainly not speed the process up. The more bureaucracy there is in something, the slower it's going to happen. And the out-of-work worker, meanwhile, might not be entitled to basic welfare (because they're listed as being employed until the committee decides one way or another) but not get paid by their employer, because in their opinion their job contract has been rightfully terminated. Also, I seriously would not want to be the worker that their employer is forced to keep employing, by some international body's uncaring decision.

Those are all legitimate points, but, then, how do we achieve our goals here?
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Previous

Return to General Assembly