NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal Convention On Freshwater Shortages

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Repeal Convention On Freshwater Shortages

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:37 pm

This is the first step of a Repeal & Replace of the COFS. Please let me know what you think and offer advice!

The first replacement is the Oceanic Hazardous Waste Disposal Ban, and the second one should be up on the forum later today! :lol:

Target res: https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pa ... /council=1

The General Assembly,

Applauding the noble goals of General Assembly Resolution 441, “Convention On Freshwater Shortages”,

Believing that the intentions of the resolution are thwarted by its contents,

Noting the resolution does not define “hazardous waste” in clause six and that leaving said clause up to interpretation permits more malicious and self-interested states to not honour the intent of the clause by interpreting it as:

• A ban on the disposal of sharp (and therefore "hazardous") waste as to ignore regulations on chemical disposal as it intends,

• Barring the disposal of only certain hazards as opposed to all intended fields as a way to work around a given intent,
Cognizant that the target resolution hurts benevolent states who interpret the clause as intended as it does not permit for the disposal of hazardous wastes into waterways in cases where it may lethally endanger public health or national security if it is not disposed of,

Disappointed that though Clause 4 of the resolution requires the public be educated "on the causes and effects of water shortages, proper water usage, and practical methods of water conservation" it does not specify any desired effect of these programs nor how conclusive they must be,

Understanding that while detailed clarification is important in many cases it is taken to an extent that is unnecessary in several clauses throughout the resolution, as seen in:

• Clause 2, which presents as an unnecessarily verbose clause to the detriment of interpreting nations,

• Clauses 3 and 5 which both recommend courses of action for nations and would serve better combined as one recommendation clause,
Concerned by the optionality of the resolution with only two of seven clauses being mandatory, among the optional being the most important ones such as monitoring the freshwater supply as to prevent unnecessary droughts,

Desiring to make clear the meaning of these and other clauses via simplification and/or combination,

Wishing to honour and achieve the goals of the Convention On Freshwater Shortages in their entirety,

Encouraging World Assembly Delegations to draft more articulate and conclusive legislation with regards to unforeseen consequences of failing to define given terms and the overcomplication of commands,

Hereby repeals GA Resolution #441.

The General Assembly,

Applauding the noble goals of General Assembly Resolution 441, “Convention On Freshwater Shortages”,

Noting the resolution does not define “hazardous waste” in clause six and that leaving said clause up to interpretation permits more malicious and self-interested states to not honour the intent of the clause by interpreting it as:

• A ban on the disposal of sharp (and therefore "hazardous") waste as to ignore regulations on chemical disposal as it intends,

• Barring the disposal of only certain hazards as opposed to all intended fields as a way to work around a given intent,
Cognizant that the target resolution hurts benevolent states who interpret the clause as intended as it does not permit for the disposal of hazardous wastes into waterways in cases where it may lethally endanger public health or national security if it is not disposed of,

Understanding that while detailed clarification is important in many cases it is taken to an extent that is unnecessary in several clauses throughout the resolution, as seen in:

• Clause 2, which presents as an unnecessarily verbose clause to the detriment of interpreting nations,

• Clauses 3 and 5 which both recommend courses of action for nations and would serve better combined as one recommendation clause,
Desiring to make clear the meaning of these and other clauses via simplification and/or combination,

Wishing to honour and achieve the goals of the Convention On Freshwater Shortages in their entirety,

Encouraging World Assembly Delegations to draft more articulate and conclusive legislation with regards to unforeseen consequences of failing to define given terms and the overcomplication of commands,

I know much of the wording and whatnot needs work. Open to any and all suggestions!
Last edited by Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar on Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:12 pm

"No issues that I can see, ambassador. The target overlooked a couple of necessary items, and we would support this repeal."

OOC: It's customary to include a link to the repeal target so people can easily look it over (this happens automatically in the submitted version, but forumgoers appreciate the OP putting it up).
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:42 pm

OOC: More comments when not on mobile, but since certain clauses are referred to by numbers and saying they should be combined, some reasoning on what they address that is so overlapping, should be provided.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:52 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: More comments when not on mobile, but since certain clauses are referred to by numbers and saying they should be combined, some reasoning on what they address that is so overlapping, should be provided.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:"No issues that I can see, ambassador. The target overlooked a couple of necessary items, and we would support this repeal."

OOC: It's customary to include a link to the repeal target so people can easily look it over (this happens automatically in the submitted version, but forumgoers appreciate the OP putting it up).

Done and done!
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:54 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: More comments when not on mobile, but since certain clauses are referred to by numbers and saying they should be combined, some reasoning on what they address that is so overlapping, should be provided.

Done!

OOC: I meant addressing the contents of the clauses, not their form. You're more addressing the form of the proposal, now, not its actual contents. It's like wanting a bridge to be rebuilt because it's a single-span one instead of a cable-tensioned one. Rather than, you know, the bridge being in danger of collapsing in high winds.

I suggest reading the target's drafting thread and that of the original attempt to understand why it was written as it was. I was one of the coauthors, so it's somewhat important to me that if it's to be replaced, it's going to be replaced for the right reasons, not just because you want to pass your own resolution. :)
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:06 am

Araraukar wrote:
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Done!

OOC: I meant addressing the contents of the clauses, not their form. You're more addressing the form of the proposal, now, not its actual contents. It's like wanting a bridge to be rebuilt because it's a single-span one instead of a cable-tensioned one. Rather than, you know, the bridge being in danger of collapsing in high winds.

I suggest reading the target's drafting thread and that of the original attempt to understand why it was written as it was. I was one of the coauthors, so it's somewhat important to me that if it's to be replaced, it's going to be replaced for the right reasons, not just because you want to pass your own resolution. :)

And I recognise that! I moved to fix both proposals, and this one has several things to be added soon.

We can do this hand in hand and move forward working together on a replacement that will honour and make proud the legacy of the the Convention on Freshwater Shortages!

More edits to come in the next 10 hours. EDIT: New edits are up! "Cogniscant" cause, and other clauses corrected.
Last edited by Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar on Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Island Girl Herby
Attaché

Founded: Feb 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Island Girl Herby » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:54 am

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:EDIT: New edits are up! "Cogniscant" cause, and other clauses corrected.

“Cogniscant”? Can’t find that in my English database.

Gorundu
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gorundu » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:10 am

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Noting the resolution does not define “hazardous waste” in clause six and that leaving said clause up to interpretation permits more malicious and self-interested states to not honour the intent of the clause,

I still don't think this clause is specific enough in laying out what situations could occur if hazardous waste is not defined.

Also, addressing structural issues isn't really needed in a repeal. Instead, you should be trying to find other weaknesses in the effect of the proposal.
Former Delegate of The North Pacific

Badge hunter (x3)
Former lurker of WA forums
Author of GA#485, GA#516, SC#337 and the other one we don't talk about
Posts do not represent my region's views unless stated otherwise.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:43 am

Island Girl Herby wrote:
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:EDIT: New edits are up! "Cogniscant" cause, and other clauses corrected.

“Cogniscant”? Can’t find that in my English database.

I accidentally put a c in there. It should be cognisant. Just changed it.

Gorundu wrote:
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Noting the resolution does not define “hazardous waste” in clause six and that leaving said clause up to interpretation permits more malicious and self-interested states to not honour the intent of the clause,

I still don't think this clause is specific enough in laying out what situations could occur if hazardous waste is not defined.

Also, addressing structural issues isn't really needed in a repeal. Instead, you should be trying to find other weaknesses in the effect of the proposal.
Structural issues weaken a proposal. Concision is key.

I'll make the clause more specific as well.
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Island Girl Herby
Attaché

Founded: Feb 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Island Girl Herby » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:57 am

OOC Actually the preferred spelling is “cognizant”. Even in British English.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Island Girl Herby wrote:OOC Actually the preferred spelling is “cognizant”. Even in British English.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:54 pm

Changed to "Cognizant"!

Any further advice on it?
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Gorundu
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gorundu » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:14 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Changed to "Cognizant"!

What I said before wasn't addressed. Structural problems may be a weakness, but it isn't enough to repeal an entire resolution.

Badge hunter (x3)

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:51 pm

Gorundu wrote:
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Changed to "Cognizant"!

What I said before wasn't addressed. Structural problems may be a weakness, but it isn't enough to repeal an entire resolution.

There are three clauses not related to structural issues that are arguments against. It is those three issues, coupled with the structural issues which complete the repeal.
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Mon Civia
Secretary

Founded: Mar 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mon Civia » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:12 pm

You have the Kingdom of Mon Civia's support for this repeal.
Last edited by Mon Civia on Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gorundu
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gorundu » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:11 am

I note this has been submitted.

Looking at the target resolution, I think there are a few arguments that can make the proposal stronger. For one, I think the optionality of most of the resolution (with the only mandatory ones being one on public education and the problematic ban on disposal of hazardous waste) is a weakness of the resolution. I note that this thread for an earlier repeal attempt also contains some useful arguments you can include.

For more, I think you should also look at these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=442140 (drafting thread for the target resolution)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=434939 (a predecessor proposal that was defeated at vote)

Badge hunter (x3)

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:50 pm

Gorundu wrote:I note this has been submitted.

Looking at the target resolution, I think there are a few arguments that can make the proposal stronger. For one, I think the optionality of most of the resolution (with the only mandatory ones being one on public education and the problematic ban on disposal of hazardous waste) is a weakness of the resolution. I note that this thread for an earlier repeal attempt also contains some useful arguments you can include.

For more, I think you should also look at these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=442140 (drafting thread for the target resolution)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=434939 (a predecessor proposal that was defeated at vote)

Thanks! I've made some edits to work with those bits and have improved the draft (I think), on the whole.

The optionality has been addressed, so has the the issues with Clause Four outlined in the defeated previous draft.

Here's hoping I can get this moving after a few months away. Any advice is appreciated.
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 pm

Against.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:51 pm

Full support.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:51 pm

"Ah! It's nuclear waste! Quick, throw it in the river!"
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:58 pm

The General Assembly,

• A ban on the disposal of sharp (and therefore "hazardous") waste as to ignore regulations on chemical disposal as it intends, If it’s not defined by the proposal, it’s dictionary definition. And a dictionary will not say "This knife is hazardous but nuclear waste isn’t!"

Cognizant that the target resolution hurts benevolent states who interpret the clause as intended as it does not permit for the disposal of hazardous wastes into waterways in cases where it may lethally endanger public health or national security if it is not disposed of,Surely, surely there is a less environmentally damaging way to quickly dispose waste?

Disappointed that though Clause 4 of the resolution requires the public be educated "on the causes and effects of water shortages, proper water usage, and practical methods of water conservation" it does not specify any desired effect of these programs nor how conclusive they must be,

Understanding that while detailed clarification is important in many cases it is taken to an extent that is unnecessary in several clauses throughout the resolution, as seen in:This clause is as unnecessary as the two below.

Concerned by the optionality of the resolution with only two of seven clauses being mandatory, among the optional being the most important ones such as monitoring the freshwater supply as to prevent unnecessary droughts, If a nation is going to ignore the World Assembly and have a drought, I’d say that’s on them.

Encouraging World Assembly Delegations to draft more articulate and conclusive legislation with regards to unforeseen consequences of failing to define given terms and the overcomplication of commands, Three clauses of fluff, especially since you’re the one that’s aiming to draft ‘articulate and conclusive legislation’. Try and condense this into one clause.

Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 am

“I don’t think I can support this, especially not without a replacement ready to go.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 am

Kenmoria wrote:“I don’t think I can support this, especially not without a replacement ready to go.”

"You'll find the replacement in the OP, however it is an early draft. Anyways, the arguments presented are not very strong at all and do not warrant a repeal."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“I don’t think I can support this, especially not without a replacement ready to go.”

"You'll find the replacement in the OP, however it is an early draft. Anyways, the arguments presented are not very strong at all and do not warrant a repeal."

“Precisely, there is a replacement currently being drafted, but it doesn’t seem finished and therefore isn’t at the same level as the target resolution. I could potentially support a repeal, but not without a replacement of superior quality to the original.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:"You'll find the replacement in the OP, however it is an early draft. Anyways, the arguments presented are not very strong at all and do not warrant a repeal."

“Precisely, there is a replacement currently being drafted, but it doesn’t seem finished and therefore isn’t at the same level as the target resolution. I could potentially support a repeal, but not without a replacement of superior quality to the original.”

"I see what you mean by that."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly