NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] A Simple Resolution Against Animal Cruelty

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Rex the Very Good Boy
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

[Draft] A Simple Resolution Against Animal Cruelty

Postby Rex the Very Good Boy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:01 am

A Simple Resolution Against Animal Cruelty
Moral Decency * Mild * Proposed by Rex the Very Good Boy

Arf! Arf!

UI . . IU
( (Y) )
(")_(")_/

The Member Nations of the World Assembly:

Recognizing that woof woof woof, "Who's a good boy?!"

Angered that grrrrrrrr, grrrrrrrrrrrrr, bark bark!

Hoping that whine whine bark, pant pant pant pant pant...

Defining an "animal" for the purposes of this resolution to be any non-sapient life that has the ability to experience pain;

Noting that reasonable pest control measures will never violate the provisions of this law if there are no less-painful, equally-effective pest control measures available;

Except as limited by previously-enacted active World Assembly laws, it is resolved:

* ~ * - * - * ~ *
In all World Assembly nations it is unlawful to inflict pain on any animal in a manner that is cruel, malicious, or shows callous indifference to suffering.
* ~ * - * - * ~ *

Moral Decency * Mild

The Nations of the World Assembly:

Hoping that bark whine bark, pant pant pant pant pant...

Defining an "animal" for the purposes of this resolution to be any non-sapient life that has demonstrated an ability to experience pain to a high degree of scientific probability;

Noting that reasonable pest control measures will never violate the provisions of this law if there are no less-painful, equally-effective pest control measures available;

Except as limited by previously-enacted active resolutions, the World Assembly enacts the following provision:

In all World Assembly nations it is unlawful to inflict pain on any animal in a manner that is cruel, malicious, or shows callous indifference to suffering.

Arf Arf!
UI . . IU
( (Y) )
(")_(")_/

Legality Discussion

Moral Decency * Mild

Convinced that bark whine bark, pant pant pant pant pant...

Defining an "animal" for the purposes of this resolution to be any non-sapient mammal, reptile, fish, amphibian, or bird;

Limited only by the terms of any previously-enacted active resolutions, the World Assembly enacts the following provision:

Moral Decency * Mild

Recognizing that woof woof woof, "Whose a good boy?!"

Therefore, limited only by the terms of any previously-enacted active resolutions, the World Assembly enacts the following provision:

Moral Decency * Mild

Also convinced that meeeeow, hiss, fit fit fit fit fit! ... Purr...

Therefore, the World Assembly enacts the following provision:

Cat contributions courtesy of Max the Cat

Don't kick the dog
[i]Moral Decency * Mild

Angered that grrrrrrrr, grrrrrrrrrrrrr, bark bark!;

Therefore, the World Assembly enacts the following provision:

Last edited by Rex the Very Good Boy on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:22 am, edited 12 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 am

Unequivocal support. Ruff ruff!

EDIT: OPPOSED, in light of this draft's recent felinification. <<< ignore this lol
Last edited by Tinhampton on Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:05 am

No support. Cats are better than dogs.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:14 am

Joke proposals belong in the joke proposal thread.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:41 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:No support. Cats are better than dogs.

If by that, you mean military-grade weapons are better than dogs, I suppose I must agree.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:50 am

To quote Sep: you won't take my boomsticks.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Rex the Very Good Boy
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rex the Very Good Boy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:14 pm

Woof!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:52 am

OOC
Contradicts existing legislation: As currently written it would extend to covering sapient animals, such as humans, and would therefore contradict various clauses explicitly allowing [albeit with restrictions] member nations to use violent methods -- including lethal force -- in wartime.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Rex the Very Good Boy
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rex the Very Good Boy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:34 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
Contradicts existing legislation: As currently written it would extend to covering sapient animals, such as humans, and would therefore contradict various clauses explicitly allowing [albeit with restrictions] member nations to use violent methods -- including lethal force -- in wartime.

Bark bark!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:41 am

Rex the Very Good Boy wrote:shows callous indifference to suffering.

"In whose opinion? I'd happily watch a bunch of yapping dogs being dipped alive in boiling oil, but that's because I hate yapping dogs, not because I was callously indifferent to animal suffering in general. Also as written, the proposal also would ban all forms of pest control and even swatting a mosquito. No support."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Rex the Very Good Boy
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rex the Very Good Boy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:53 am

Araraukar wrote:
Rex the Very Good Boy wrote:shows callous indifference to suffering.

"In whose opinion? I'd happily watch a bunch of yapping dogs being dipped alive in boiling oil, but that's because I hate yapping dogs, not because I was callously indifferent to animal suffering in general. Also as written, the proposal also would ban all forms of pest control and even swatting a mosquito. No support."

Woof!

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Araraukar wrote: "I'd happily watch a bunch of yapping dogs being dipped alive in boiling oil..."

"And she wonders if I'm the one who is alright..." Cornelia Schultz remarks. "Ambassador, I think boiling puppies in oil solely out of malice towards those puppies shows callous indifference to the suffering of the puppies in question."
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:48 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"And she wonders if I'm the one who is alright..." Cornelia Schultz remarks. "Ambassador, I think boiling puppies in oil solely out of malice towards those puppies shows callous indifference to the suffering of the puppies in question."

"Yapping puppies," Lindasaid with emphasis, "and if it was a resolution against cruelty to dogs, then you would have a point. However, a farmer using chemical pesticides to protect their crops, is equally indifferent to the suffering of the pests they're dealing with. As is any normal person who swats a biting insect that is trying to have a drink of their blood. Or a person taking medications to rid themselves of parasites. The language simply is too general."

OOC: So are you the OP? Because the thing is and remains a joke proposal as long as it has "dog talk" in it.

...and now I can't stop thinking about hot dogs. Hungry.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Araraukar wrote:"Yapping puppies," Lindasaid with emphasis, "and if it was a resolution against cruelty to dogs, then you would have a point. However, a farmer using chemical pesticides to protect their crops, is equally indifferent to the suffering of the pests they're dealing with. As is any normal person who swats a biting insect that is trying to have a drink of their blood. Or a person taking medications to rid themselves of parasites. The language simply is too general."

"If you could reasonably prove that such parasites and pests were even capable of suffering, then I would accept that any attempt to exterminate them in a painful way showed callous indifference to their suffering."

"Look, Miss..." Cornelia pauses, "...I'm sorry, who are you again?"

OOC: So are you the OP? Because the thing is and remains a joke proposal as long as it has "dog talk" in it.

OOC:
I most certainly am not. Animal Cruelty is pretty far down on my WA legislation priority list and I wouldn't be wasting my time writing a joke resolution like this.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:11 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:"If you could reasonably prove that such parasites and pests were even capable of suffering, then I would accept that any attempt to exterminate them in a painful way showed callous indifference to their suffering."

OOC: You realize that mice and rats are considered pests, yes? And that insects can feel pain?

"Look, Miss..." Cornelia pauses, "...I'm sorry, who are you again?"

"Linda Äyrämäki, the acting ambassador while miss Leveret is busy elsewhere. She left me lots of notes, though some of them have been stained with cocoa. Are you really from a nomadic people who live in giant spaceships?"

OOC: So are you the OP?

OOC: I most certainly am not.

OOC: You know why you're a prime suspect, though. :P

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:44 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: You realize that mice and rats are considered pests, yes? And that insects can feel pain?

OOC:
I'm not sure that Schultz would be aware of that fact, since there's not really a whole lot of pests in Excidium Planetis, at least not on the space side of things. The precursors to Excidian civilization took great pains to not take Earth's pests with them when they went out into the stars, and any escaped laboratory mice would likely not have survived in the mostly sterile and sealed off compartments of ships. It's probable that Schultz has never seen anything that could be considered a pest in her entire life.

As for pain, it's not exactly the same thing as suffering. If I stub my toe on something, it might be painful, but I wouldn't say that I was suffering.

Also I'm not sure why this conversation had to be OOC.

"Linda Äyrämäki, the acting ambassador while miss Leveret is busy elsewhere. She left me lots of notes, though some of them have been stained with cocoa. Are you really from a nomadic people who live in giant spaceships?"

"That would depend on your definition of giant. I would say we live in perfectly normal sized starships." Cornelia Schultz replies. "But wait, what happened to Miss Leveret? Not that I miss her or anything..."

OOC: You know why you're a prime suspect, though. :P

OOC:
I don't usually submit legislation through puppets, even if I have been known to make a few on this forum.

Although I suppose the current lack of WA status on my main is a bit suspicious, and I assure you entirely because I keep WA status on this nation the same OOC as IC.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:06 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: You realize that mice and rats are considered pests, yes? And that insects can feel pain?

OOC:
I'm not sure that Schultz would be aware of that fact, since there's not really a whole lot of pests in Excidium Planetis, at least not on the space side of things. The precursors to Excidian civilization took great pains to not take Earth's pests with them when they went out into the stars, and any escaped laboratory mice would likely not have survived in the mostly sterile and sealed off compartments of ships. It's probable that Schultz has never seen anything that could be considered a pest in her entire life.

As for pain, it's not exactly the same thing as suffering. If I stub my toe on something, it might be painful, but I wouldn't say that I was suffering.

Also I'm not sure why this conversation had to be OOC.

OOC: You answered yourself on why it had to be OOC. :P And if you don't include simple pain into suffering, why get upset about the yapping hot dogs? It's just pain. EDIT: Also, do they actually have dogs on spaceships?

Excidium Planetis wrote:"That would depend on your definition of giant. I would say we live in perfectly normal sized starships." Cornelia Schultz replies. "But wait, what happened to Miss Leveret? Not that I miss her or anything..."

"She is away, representing Araraukar on a long-term mission. I get occasional messages via the hivemind. I'm sure you can get in contact with her via the thing, if you want to, as well. And any kind of spaceship that's big enough for more than a handful of people to live in, in the long term, is likely to be giant, by our reckoning."
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:10 am

Araraukar wrote:...and now I can't stop thinking about hot dogs. Hungry.

OOC: For the Bears, 'Hot Dog!' is the name of a popular fast-food chain specialising in spicy stews...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:59 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: So are you the OP? Because the thing is and remains a joke proposal as long as it has "dog talk" in it.

1/6 of GenSec not agree. 1/6 of GenSec appreciate IC stuff. 1/6 of GenSec enjoy membership diversity. 1/6 of GenSec think this attitude BAD!!! 1/6 of GenSec think OP very good boy!

1/6 of GenSec love agenda, "Make Legislation Funny Again!"
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:57 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:1/6 of GenSec

OOC: And the the other 5/6? :P

Rex the Very Good Boy
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rex the Very Good Boy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:49 am

Arf! Arf! (New draft)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:06 pm

Rex the Very Good Boy wrote:Arf! Arf! (New draft)

(OOC: Has the legality issue been fixed?)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Denathor
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2014

Postby Denathor » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Rex the Very Good Boy wrote:Arf! Arf! (New draft)

(OOC: Has the legality issue been fixed?)

OOC: Yep. GenSec declared it legal.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Sir Lucas Callahan
Deputy Ambassador to the World Assembly: Randal Atkinson
Undersecretary to the Ambassador: Thomas Morgan

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:15 pm

Denathor wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Has the legality issue been fixed?)

OOC: Yep. GenSec declared it legal.

(OOC: Great, in that case I have some feedback to give. Underlining looks awful especially when done with bolding; all of the lines that are currently underlined could be formatted normally without losing anything. Traditionally, definitions are placed after preambulatory clauses, so yours should go below the ‘noting’ clause. Also, ‘scientific probability’ seems rather meaningless in the definition, which I think could generally be tighter.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:33 am

OOC: Cute pic. I'd advise against including it in the submitted version, as that would be Branding.

- 1/6 GenSec (2/6, but I'll let them confirm that)
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly