NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Correcting Correctional Facilities

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Bormiar
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[DRAFT] Correcting Correctional Facilities

Postby Bormiar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:06 am

I'm completely new to the GA, but have private-drafted a bit. Please treat the draft as such.

Correcting Correctional Facilities

Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Mild

This esteemed World Assembly,

Believing that a lack of accountability and institutionalized neglect among prison law enforcement in correctional facilities incites and abets in prisoner abuse,

Recognizing correctional facilities to be rehabilitative as well as punitive, and believing common practices such as excessive solitary confinement and unnecessary violence to be counter-productive to this goal,

Hereby:

1. Defines the following, for the purposes of this resolution:
    1. “prisoner” as any person legally held in a correctional facility for a crime they have been convicted of or for governmental investigative purposes, such as a person awaiting trial, questioning, a verdict, sentencing, or any other law enforcement proceeding,
    2. “solitary confinement” as any practice in which a prisoner is subject to isolation from others, not including guards, law enforcement, or medical authorities, for purposes other than sleep or immediate danger,
    3. “protective confinement” as any practice in which a prisoner is subject to isolation from others, not including guards and medical authorities, for the purpose of the prisoners own protection,
    4. “correctional facility” as any jail, prison, or facility designed to hold an incarcerated person or persons.
  2. Criminalizes solitary confinement or protective confinement within member-nations, where it can reasonably be assumed to be maddening or otherwise cause or amplify psychological harm,
    1. Bars law enforcement entities from subjecting individuals under the age of majority with solitary confinement,
    2. Clarifies that prisoners which pose a credible safety risk may be isolated from other prisoners or guards, to the extent that the isolation will prevent the credible safety concerns from coming to fruition.
  3. Bans the usage of excessive force on prisoners, such as hurting an incapacitated person, or using unnecessary lethal force, except when authorized in a sentencing in criminal or civil proceedings,
    1. Law enforcement authorities convicted of using excessive or unauthorized lethal force against a prisoner shall be sentenced to a punishment no less than sentences imposed upon a member of the public for equal or similar crimes.
  4. Bans the intentional humiliation of prisoners by law enforcement entities through methods such as, but not limited to, strip or cavity searches,
  5. Demands, as an alternative to prohibited solitary confinement, humiliation, or excessive force, humane methods such as delayed parole, revocation of abilities to participate in group activities not necessary for life, impounding luxuries, and/or loss of privileges such as visitation,
  6. Retains that any administrators of any correctional facility or other facility which holds prisoners must allow said prisoners to file an official complaint with the World Assembly Solicitors Office in any case of breach of World Assembly law within the correctional facility of which they are held.
Last edited by Bormiar on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Teretstein
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Teretstein » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:18 am

2. No. Have you ever been in a prison? If you're in there for a sex crime, I promise you, you'll wish you were in solitary confinement. That's seriously the safest those people can be in prison.

3. No. Someone attempts to escape, he's getting shot, period.

4. No. You'd be amazed how prisoners smuggle things into jails. I've seen things like iPhones smuggled in rectums... such things provide a serious danger to the prison. Can I at least put cellular blockers in my prisons? There's the only way I'm agreeing to this.

5. What does that mean exactly?

6. No. Filing it with the relevant government authority is good enough. Why should my states (which are in a confederacy and thus above the national government) have to file individual paperwork with the WA?

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:23 am

Teretstein wrote:3. No. Someone attempts to escape, he's getting shot, period.

"This would seem to be resolved by the use of the word 'unnecessary' in clause three, ambassador."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Teretstein
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Teretstein » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:26 am

Morover wrote:

"This would seem to be resolved by the use of the word 'unnecessary' in clause three, ambassador."

Assuming it was totally unnecessary then I can agree with the good ambassador from Morover. But who determines what is unnecessary?

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:29 am

Teretstein wrote:
Morover wrote:"This would seem to be resolved by the use of the word 'unnecessary' in clause three, ambassador."

Assuming it was totally unnecessary then I can agree with the good ambassador from Morover. But who determines what is unnecessary?

"I would assume that, so long as the member-nation (or whatever entity is in charge of the prison) can make a case deemed sufficient enough by one of the many compliance agencies within the World Assembly, it would be enough."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Denathor
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Denathor » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:32 am

Teretstein wrote:2. No. Have you ever been in a prison? If you're in there for a sex crime, I promise you, you'll wish you were in solitary confinement. That's seriously the safest those people can be in prison.

Clarifies that prisoners which pose a credible safety risk may be isolated from other prisoners or guards, to the extent that the isolation will prevent the credible safety concerns from coming to fruition.

"I believe, ambassador, that being beaten to death by fellow prisoners would count as 'credible safety concerns.'"

"There are many who would disagree with this rather barbaric approach."

Teretstein wrote:4. No. You'd be amazed how prisoners smuggle things into jails. I've seen things like iPhones smuggled in rectums... such things provide a serious danger to the prison. Can I at least put cellular blockers in my prisons? There's the only way I'm agreeing to this.
Bans the intentional humiliation of prisoners by law enforcement
"These searches aren’t outright banned, they're merely restricted in cases where there is no justification for them."

Teretstein wrote:5. What does that mean exactly?
"It ensures that there be other punishments available in lieu of methods such as solitary confinement."

Teretstein wrote:6. No. Filing it with the relevant government authority is good enough. Why should my states (which are in a confederacy and thus above the national government) have to file individual paperwork with the WA?
"Because then it could be lost in bureaucratic hell, or worse, completely ignored.

"To the ambassador from Bormiar, I would only recommend that if you’re going to define 'prisoner,' I would change the order of these to have it defined before you use it in other definitions."
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Sir Lucas Callahan
Deputy Ambassador to the World Assembly: Randal Atkinson
Undersecretary to the Ambassador: Thomas Morgan

Teretstein
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Teretstein » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:35 am

Morover wrote:
Teretstein wrote:

"I would assume that, so long as the member-nation (or whatever entity is in charge of the prison) can make a case deemed sufficient enough by one of the many compliance agencies within the World Assembly, it would be enough."

I'm not sure I agree with that. Simply filing a report with the national government should be sufficient.

But here's an interesting case for you ambassador. Let's say the door in the recreational areas in one of my jails was accidentally unlocked. A man that was convicted of raping and murdering 18 children casually walks out through the gate. I'd be stunned if anyone here would object to a guard shooting him dead. But instead of that, let's say it was a man that accidentally stole a car because he didn't return it when the lease ran out and got convicted of grand theft auto. Would my guards be in trouble for shooting THAT man if he casually walked out? We can't have guards looking through every inmate's paperwork when deciding how to hand them!

"Because then it could be lost in bureaucratic hell, or worse, completely ignored.

That is implying the national government is incapable of handling it! What makes the WA any better?!
Last edited by Teretstein on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:52 am

Teretstein wrote:2. No. Have you ever been in a prison? If you're in there for a sex crime, I promise you, you'll wish you were in solitary confinement. That's seriously the safest those people can be in prison.

You're asking me whether I've been in prison; have you been abused for raping someone in a prison? I doubt it.

Anyways, a decent solution to that would be to allow protective confinement with consent.

It says "unnecessary lethal force". I assume good faith would apply. When it can't be seen within reasonable doubt as necessary, it's barbaric.

And what Morover and Denathor said.

Teretstein wrote:4. No. You'd be amazed how prisoners smuggle things into jails. I've seen things like iPhones smuggled in rectums... such things provide a serious danger to the prison. Can I at least put cellular blockers in my prisons? There's the only way I'm agreeing to this.

The word "intentional" means that the guard must be intending to humiliate the detainee, such as publicly strip searching them and mocking them. This doesn't prohibit cavity searches for security or other reasonable justification.

The proposal doesn't prohibit cellular blockers.

Teretstein wrote:5. What does that mean exactly?

What Denathor said.

Teretstein wrote:6. No. Filing it with the relevant government authority is good enough. Why should my states (which are in a confederacy and thus above the national government) have to file individual paperwork with the WA?

I assume if it's an internationally relevant matter such that it gets its own mention in a resolution, it is relevant to international organizations of which the member-state participates.

I'm a little undecided there, now that you bring it up.

Teretstein wrote:But here's an interesting case for you ambassador. Let's say the door in the recreational areas in one of my jails was accidentally unlocked. A man that was convicted of raping and murdering 18 children casually walks out through the gate. I'd be stunned if anyone here would object to a guard shooting him dead. But instead of that, let's say it was a man that accidentally stole a car because he didn't return it when the lease ran out and got convicted of grand theft auto. Would my guards be in trouble for shooting THAT man if he casually walked out? We can't have guards looking through every inmate's paperwork when deciding how to hand them!

I agree that it's ridiculous to posit that guards must be able to recognize each and every prisoner by record in order to
justify lethal force, but if it can be assumed that the guard has no manageable way with some chance of success at stopping the detainee, such as via physical, non-lethal force, or by - for example - shooting the prisoner in the leg, and the guard, with the knowledge they must have on hand of the prison, determines that no other guard will be able to stop the prisoner without lethal force, then in that case lethal force would be reasonably considered necessary.
Last edited by Bormiar on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:58 am

Teretstein wrote:That is implying the national government is incapable of handling it! What makes the WA any better?!

"Personally, I see no reason to discuss the merits of international law with an individual such as yourself who disavows it so. The World Assembly is a voluntary organization. My suggestion is that if you simply don't wish to follow any proposal or resolution simply for reasons of national sovereignty, you should just leave. You voluntarily gave up some of your sovereignty in joining this Assembly."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:02 pm

OCC:

Where is the problem here? I can assure you, solitary or not, child molesters are dealt with in prison, and not by other inmates.

Yeah, not how it works. There is this little thing called the "Use of Force Continuum". You should probably read up on that.

You have obviously never worked in a prison, and have watched far too many TV shows. Yes contraband does it get smuggled in, and that is why cell checks and sniffer dogs are an actual thing.

IC:

Not really seeing this to be an international issue myself. This is far better handled at the national level. In theory the idea is sound, but the WA really doesn't need oversight on national prison systems, unless they want to start footing some of the bill.

Wayne
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Denathor wrote:"To the ambassador from Bormiar, I would only recommend that if you’re going to define 'prisoner,' I would change the order of these to have it defined before you use it in other definitions."

“Thank you, ambassador. I have taken this suggestion and amended the current draft.”

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:00 pm

Bormiar wrote:Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Legal Reform

OOC: Likely wrong one, given this:
Sanctaria wrote:Based on the intent of the category that Sep gave us, the general effect for Legal Regulation is, more or less, bad for your economy (more barriers for the legal industry), good for civil rights (less restrictions on individuals being able to sue/take up litigation).

Yours as written sounds either like Civil Rights (rights for prisoners) or Moral Decency (restrictions for prison guards' actions), but the main problem is that you're clumping a lot of things together that would each of them be worth a whole resolution.

Have you read the existing prisoners' rights resolutions?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Bormiar wrote:Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Legal Reform

OOC: Likely wrong one, given this:
Sanctaria wrote:Based on the intent of the category that Sep gave us, the general effect for Legal Regulation is, more or less, bad for your economy (more barriers for the legal industry), good for civil rights (less restrictions on individuals being able to sue/take up litigation).

Yours as written sounds either like Civil Rights (rights for prisoners) or Moral Decency (restrictions for prison guards' actions), but the main problem is that you're clumping a lot of things together that would each of them be worth a whole resolution.

Have you read the existing prisoners' rights resolutions?

I've read GAR #194 “Treatment of Inmates”, GAR#161 “Medical Standards in Prisons”, and GAR#468 "Prohibit Private Prisons". Going back on them, they are mostly "Human Rights", which I assume is the precursor to Civil Rights. My guess is that this one is Moral Decency, but do I have that much leniency in GenSec's view. I read something from Bears Armed saying that Civil Rights proposals tend to be more popular with votes.

Would this be "significant"?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:41 pm

Bormiar wrote:they are mostly "Human Rights", which I assume is the precursor to Civil Rights.

They are one and the same. When the GA graphics were reworked, a new text mapping was inserted for the category. (The category was renamed.)

Bormiar wrote:Would this be "significant"?

I would classify it as mild.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Bormiar wrote:they are mostly "Human Rights", which I assume is the precursor to Civil Rights.

They are one and the same. When the GA graphics were reworked, a new text mapping was inserted for the category. (The category was renamed.)

Bormiar wrote:Would this be "significant"?

I would classify it as mild.

Thanks, edited.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:46 am

Bormiar wrote:My guess is that this one is Moral Decency, but do I have that much leniency in GenSec's view. I read something from Bears Armed saying that Civil Rights proposals tend to be more popular with votes.

OOC: What category it fits, depends on the active clauses. If you want it to be about Civil Rights, then focus on the rights of your target group, not on restricting the actions of another group of individuals. If you want to do the latter instead, then go for Moral Decency.

But look up the last couple of topics (threads on this forum, not resolutions) on solitary confinement (and read through the actual threads, not just eyeballing the proposals) to see how difficult issue that is all on its own.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly