NATION

PASSWORD

[Legality Challenge] Repeal: "Nuclear Arms Possession Act"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

[Legality Challenge] Repeal: "Nuclear Arms Possession Act"

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:24 pm

Legality Challenge

As this proposal has now surprisingly been marked "Legal" by its first reviewer, and there is no discussion thread to raise the question of legality, I am filing this legality challenge.

Proposal in question

Repeal: “Nuclear Arms Possession Act”

A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.

Category: Repeal Resolution: GA#10 Proposed by: Byni

General Assembly Resolution #10 “Nuclear Arms Possession Act” (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

About 80 years ago humanity got a weapon that could destroy ourselves.
This weapon was the Atom Bomb. 146,000 people died from the dropping of only two of weaker versions of this bomb. Now we have stronger bombs that could kill even more people.
So why should the world allow these weapons to be used!
Why: This weapon is to powerful to be allowed in this world to many people die from its power.
Why should we allow this weapon in the world if it can kill so many.
So please vote wisely and repeal this act.

Original Thread

I am not aware of any drafting thread associated with this submission.

Basis of Challenge

A) This proposal runs afoul of the GA Rule against Real World References. It does this in the following manner:

- The first line of the proposal text is a reference to the development of the atomic bomb approximately 80 years ago - culminating in the successful Trinity test in July of 1945
- The second line of the proposal text is a reference to the bombing of the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, in August of 1945

B) Additionally, this proposal may run afoul of the requirement to use Understandable English:

- There is questionable grammar and incorrect homophone usage throughout the proposal. Specific examples include:

1) Substitution of an exclamation point for a question mark in line 3
2) Multiple uses of "to" in place of "too" in line 4
3) Substitution of a period for a question mark in line 5
4) Line 6 is not a sentence
5) There are issues with voice and agreement in line 1.

C) Finally, it may contradict the prohibition against Branding:

- Based on context and prohibited real world reference, the instances of the pronoun "we" in line 2 and line 5 are both clearly as personal pronouns to refer to humans outside of the NationStates game.

Precedent

The present list of submitted GA proposals includes two proposals ruled illegal on the basis of Real World References:

Specifically, "Provision Of Universal Healthcare" has been ruled illegal on this basis by all three reviewing members of the Secretariat.
Similarly, "Protecting The Rights Of Indigenous People" has been ruled illegal for the same reason, by the same reviewers.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:48 pm

Since at the time of filing only 1 of 6 gensec members had weighed in on this via control panel, this is a very premature challenge.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:02 pm

I think you'd have a hard time proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the reference to that many deaths "80 years ago" can only point to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. On that basis I marked the proposed repeal legal.

On further reflection, the last line makes clear that there are other problems with this proposed repeal, and I have acted accordingly.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:I think you'd have a hard time proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the reference to that many deaths "80 years ago" can only point to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. On that basis I marked the proposed repeal legal.

On further reflection, the last line makes clear that there are other problems with this proposed repeal, and I have acted accordingly.

I'm... not sure reasonable doubt is the standard?

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:04 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:I think you'd have a hard time proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the reference to that many deaths "80 years ago" can only point to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. On that basis I marked the proposed repeal legal.

I'm... not sure reasonable doubt is the standard?

Omit those four words if you like, then. The alternative to this repeal language being legal is that we use a standard of "I know it when I see it" for determining RL refs. When it's that oblique, it may as well be someone's RP or a random argument. I wasn't about to mark it illegal on such apparently tenuous grounds.

We might hold a ruling otherwise, of course.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:05 am

There's also the "not written as law" thing.

And if you want to claim the events are not RL reference, then it's talking about their roleplay and the "we" is definite branding.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The COT Corporation
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The COT Corporation » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:11 am

Araraukar wrote:There's also the "not written as law" thing.

And if you want to claim the events are not RL reference, then it's talking about their roleplay and the "we" is definite branding.

^This
- Juleas Brimstone, recently elected WA ambassador. Author of the proposal, Limitation of Inhumane Weaponry.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:32 am

The submitted proposal's current status is
Illegal (3): Separatist Peoples, Sierra Lyricalia, Bears Armed
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:04 am

Bears Armed wrote:The submitted proposal's current status is
Illegal (3): Separatist Peoples, Sierra Lyricalia, Bears Armed

+1
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 am

Current reasonings, for later reference:
Illegal — Real world references
Illegal — Proposal Basics (Not written as a law; not written from the WA's viewpoint [final line]); RL References; arguably 'No Operative Clause'.
Illegal — Proposal basics: Not written from WA POV (final line), not written as a law

Though I thought the "no operative clause" no longer applied on repeals?
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:48 am

Araraukar wrote:Current reasonings, for later reference:
Illegal — Proposal Basics (Not written as a law; not written from the WA's viewpoint [final line]); RL References; arguably 'No Operative Clause'.
Illegal — Proposal basics: Not written from WA POV (final line), not written as a law

Though I thought the "no operative clause" no longer applied on repeals?

Oops!
Put that down to my being confused because of its wording...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:27 pm

My apologies for the premature challenge. As there was no drafting thread to discuss it in, the first "legal" flag had popped, and the approvals had begun to appear, I thought it better to err on the side of giving plenty of time for review rather than waiting until later in the process.

I am genuinely appreciative of the numerous responses here from the Secretariat and others, and will note for the future that I should hold back a bit longer before pursuing a challenge.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:51 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:My apologies for the premature challenge. As there was no drafting thread to discuss it in, the first "legal" flag had popped, and the approvals had begun to appear, I thought it better to err on the side of giving plenty of time for review rather than waiting until later in the process.

I am genuinely appreciative of the numerous responses here from the Secretariat and others, and will note for the future that I should hold back a bit longer before pursuing a challenge.

Eh, you don't really need to apologize very profusely - if the GenSec peeps think a challenge is completely unnecessary, they're not obligated to process it. They have that "power". ;)

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:02 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:My apologies for the premature challenge. As there was no drafting thread to discuss it in, the first "legal" flag had popped, and the approvals had begun to appear, I thought it better to err on the side of giving plenty of time for review rather than waiting until later in the process.

Generally, either post in the Illegal Proposal thread (is that thing even around anymore?) or wait until three members voted before making a thread. By then you're assured that a majority or close to it have seen it and missed something rather than not getting to it in the first place.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:41 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:Generally, either post in the Illegal Proposal thread (is that thing even around anymore?)

It was posted there and commented there and that's why this thread exists, really, because you can probably blame me for not repeating the "unless it looks to be in danger of getting to vote", though the current at-vote thing snuck over quorum overnight, so over-reaction or not, there was a live example of why waiting can court disaster.

EDIT: This thread was posted before Bears' post on the Illegals thread.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Generally, either post in the Illegal Proposal thread (is that thing even around anymore?)

It was posted there and commented there and that's why this thread exists, really, because you can probably blame me for not repeating the "unless it looks to be in danger of getting to vote", though the current at-vote thing snuck over quorum overnight, so over-reaction or not, there was a live example of why waiting can court disaster.

It wouldn't have passed anyway, and it would have taken a few days before it went to vote. This whole issue was highly unnecessary.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:58 am

Wayneactia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:It was posted there and commented there and that's why this thread exists, really, because you can probably blame me for not repeating the "unless it looks to be in danger of getting to vote", though the current at-vote thing snuck over quorum overnight, so over-reaction or not, there was a live example of why waiting can court disaster.

It wouldn't have passed anyway, and it would have taken a few days before it went to vote. This whole issue was highly unnecessary.

Not really. Part of gensec's job is weeding out illegal proposals in the queue. We usually are giving proposals a brief once-over, not an in depth scan. So when we miss things, the community should totally speak up.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:01 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:It wouldn't have passed anyway, and it would have taken a few days before it went to vote. This whole issue was highly unnecessary.

Not really. Part of gensec's job is weeding out illegal proposals in the queue. We usually are giving proposals a brief once-over, not an in depth scan. So when we miss things, the community should totally speak up.

Just a question for the sake of clarity: Should we post issues with proposals which are not in danger of going to vote here or in the illegal proposals thread? I was under the impression that it's better to speak up in the illegal proposals thread, but if that's not the case, then I'll cease that kind of thinking.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:14 am

Morover wrote:Just a question for the sake of clarity: Should we post issues with proposals which are not in danger of going to vote here or in the illegal proposals thread? I was under the impression that it's better to speak up in the illegal proposals thread, but if that's not the case, then I'll cease that kind of thinking.

In the 'Illegal Proposals' thread is probably best, usually, yes.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly