NATION

PASSWORD

Efficient Energy Storage Research

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Croatian empaths
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Efficient Energy Storage Research

Postby Croatian empaths » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Promotion of researching efficient ways to storage energy.
A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment, reduce industry expenses and prevent social unrest.

Category: Environmental, Industrial and Social
Industry Affected: All Businesses
Proposed by: Croatian empaths

Description: The World Assembly,

There is already many environmental legislation which promotes renewable and clean energy production, but there is non which promotes ways to efficiently store already produced energy with minimal or insignificant losses;

So far there are two ways which can gradually replace usage of chemical batteries;

1. Graphine battery which structure is based on carbon and thus it can be made from wood, which can be grown and as such is renewable source;
2. Crystaline battery which is structure based on various salts crystals which can be found in a sea water, what is abundant cheap resource;

Both solutions in comparison with chemical batteries promise faster recharge, with long lasting energy storage, without many loss due to external conditions such as cold or moisture.

Increasing efficiency of storing energy could prevent world energy shortage pressure, where already produced energy can cover more people in the world.

Research is primarily directed towards wealthier nations to fund, spread and share technology with less fortunate groups across the globe and thus preventing poverty on a long run, which will lead of decreasing pressure of immigration to wealthier nations, but instead increase abundance and equality in all parts of the world.

Encourages member nations to create legislation and policy that will make global unification and increase stability.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:17 am

Croatian empaths wrote:
Promotion of researching efficient ways to storage energy.
A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment, reduce industry expenses and prevent social unrest.

Category: Environmental, Industrial and Social
Industry Affected: All Businesses
Proposed by: Croatian empaths

Description: The World Assembly,

There is already many environmental legislation which promotes renewable and clean energy production, but there is non which promotes ways to efficiently store already produced energy with minimal or insignificant losses;

So far there are two ways which can gradually replace usage of chemical batteries;

1. Graphine battery which structure is based on carbon and thus it can be made from wood, which can be grown and as such is renewable source;
2. Crystaline battery which is structure based on various salts crystals which can be found in a sea water, what is abundant cheap resource;

Both solutions in comparison with chemical batteries promise faster recharge, with long lasting energy storage, without many loss due to external conditions such as cold or moisture.

Increasing efficiency of storing energy could prevent world energy shortage pressure, where already produced energy can cover more people in the world.

Research is primarily directed towards wealthier nations to fund, spread and share technology with less fortunate groups across the globe and thus preventing poverty on a long run, which will lead of decreasing pressure of immigration to wealthier nations, but instead increase abundance and equality in all parts of the world.

Encourages member nations to create legislation and policy that will make global unification and increase stability.

OOC: Hi there and welcome to the GA forum!

I hope this doesn't come off as rude (but I'm very tired and that's when my mental filters don't always function that well), but while I understand that you clearly have a good grasp of your chosen topic, it's not going to work as is.

First of all, there's no "Environmental, Industrial and Social" category. There is Environmental (which has areas of effect) and Social Justice (which has strengths), but a proposal can only be submitted in one, so you should pick which is your more important aim, and rewrite the proposal to fit that category.

Secondly, all resolutions must apply equally to all member nations, so you can't just outright say "richer nations pay for all the research and then the poorer nations profit off of it". There are also existing resolutions about patent rights, and I bet that an entirely new battery type would be easily patented, and then the poorer nations would have to honor that patent if they wanted to use the invention.

Thirdly, just focusing on two new battery types is very, very narrow subject - too narrow for international law, I would say. Also, distributed production of electricity, and electricity-free greentech solutions go a long way in solving the "energy crisis" in many poor nations, doable even with existing RL regular tech, so I'm not entirely certain how "better batteries" is going to solve anything.

There is also a large number of grammar errors (like using "is" instead of "are") and typos (like "non" instead of "none"), that together with the somewhat vague mandates make this read like a first draft for an essay, rather than a proposal. Have you read existing resolutions? You can find them in a sticky thread near the top of this forum that's easy to search with key words.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Croatian empaths
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Croatian empaths » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:15 am

Yes, I read other resolutions... no ECO energy preservation, only ECO producing. Also I read how it is wise to post proposal here rather than making resolution directly... Anyhow, thank you for your observation...

Batteries are not narrow subject as my previous post describes they affects lots of fields of humanity. Today energy storage tech is expensive, heavy, toxic and inefficient... If all lost produced energy can be donated as surplus for the same cost to 3rd world countries, it could support their farming and industry and thus decrease poverty in the world. Automatically most of the people in 3rd countries would not have need to immigrate in richer countries, but would rather stay developing their owns.

Energy is everything. Its more valuable than money or any other resource on the planet. But storage already produced energy in clean, efficient, cheap way is priceless.

Sincerely hope other members will understand preservation importance and elaborate more about topic itself. We could polish topic together.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:08 am

Croatian empaths wrote:Batteries are not narrow subject as my previous post describes they affects lots of fields of humanity. Today energy storage tech is expensive, heavy, toxic and inefficient... If all lost produced energy can be donated as surplus for the same cost to 3rd world countries, it could support their farming and industry and thus decrease poverty in the world. Automatically most of the people in 3rd countries would not have need to immigrate in richer countries, but would rather stay developing their owns.

Energy is everything. Its more valuable than money or any other resource on the planet. But storage already produced energy in clean, efficient, cheap way is priceless.

OOC: Idealism is good, but it alone does not a good proposal make.

You're basically talking about "energy donated to poor countries", while I pointed out that the poor countries can all on their own (and there are ways for them to get WA help already) produce clean energy locally, and thus not need stored energy donations. And that's even without touching on exactly how the richer nations produce their energy (which in RL at least is largely not clean or green) themselves.

Also you can't escape the fact that all resolutions MUST apply equally to all nations. I mean, sure, if your nation doesn't have elections, then election-specific resolutions won't have any effect on it, but if you ever start having elections, then they apply, because they apply evenly to all elections in all member nations. That is why you CAN'T write a proposal that basically says "richer nations must donate their time and effort and resources to the poorer nations". Remember that the WA has over 20 THOUSAND nations in it. They don't all exist on a single planet. Many don't exist in a single universe. The logistics of multiversally ferrying batteries back and forth is insane, when you could instead invest on producing the energy locally.

Another thing you CAN'T do is ignore existing resolutions. Nothing you write can contradict an existing resolution without automatically making your proposal illegal. I pointed out the patent resolution for a reason; in RL a revolutionary new type of battery would absolutely be patented (or both it and the way of manufacturing them), so it's fair to assume it would also be patented in the NS realities, thus meaning that even if poorer nations were to be donated energy, if they wanted to actually benefit from the new batteries, they would likely have to pay royalties (which they might not be able to afford) to whoever owns the patent.

And I maintain that the current focus of the draft that specifies only two types of electric energy storage, is way too narrow. If you widened the scope to concern all kinds of ways to store energy (hint: it goes waaaaaaay beyond batteries) locally, or at the very least made this complement the existing ecological energy production resolution rather than compete with it (hint: you would still have to go waaaaaay beyond batteries), you might have something worth working on. But as long as you cling to the idea of new batteries solving all the problems, you're just going to be banging your head on a wall.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Croatian empaths
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Croatian empaths » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:12 pm

You proposed it should be formed as a patent. Ok. That is sensible thinking. Basically you suggest the whole idea should be implemented within existing international law. Like just put batteries of new generation, along with solar panels, windmills etc.?

On the other hand, fact is we have currently environmental toxic technology, which waste produced energy into nothingness, with costly depletion of world resources. It is like you built a house from acidic bricks and on a top of all, you did not put isolation on it and thus you throwing money out of your window, while breathing every day of your life toxic freezing air into your lungs. But lets summarize:

So far you managed to expel totally Social component, maybe Ecological as well since as you sad it could clash with current environmental laws or it could be added as support of those laws, but still in Industrial sense you haven't mention any cons so far.

Preservation energy with Graphene batteries could have huge benefit to all economies by increasing efficiency of storing energy, reducing cost of production, make possible fast time charging and make products practical to carry in every product that needs source of power. Not to mention it can be produced anywhere. I will do some more research how it could be written properly under Industrial category.

Thank you for helping me narrowing category issue. Also if I get it right, WA legislation must be written not as a single tangible narrowed item (battery), but more as generally "inspiration" to Nations what they "should" or "not" do, which as consequence has benefit more as appliance to most of societies, which leads to majority FOR votes at the end. Yes?

In meanwhile all experience from other WA members are welcomed to join discussion.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:54 pm

Croatian empaths wrote:You proposed it should be formed as a patent.

OOC: No. You're misunderstanding me now. I'm not suggesting anything like that. I'm saying that that's realistically what would happen. And that there is an existing resolution about patents that you absolutely need to read. Do you know how to search for particular resolutions with keywords??

Basically you suggest the whole idea should be implemented within existing international law.

Again, not suggesting anything. Saying that AS PER THE RULES of this game, you can't contradict anything in the existing resolutions, or your proposal is illegal. Your proposal also must apply evenly to all member nations. THESE ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS, THEY ARE NECESSARY FOR YOUR PROPOSAL TO BE LEGAL.

What I was suggesting, was that you read existing resolutions that have to do with energy generation, and see if you can complement that, instead of creating a competing thing.

On the other hand, fact is we have currently environmental toxic technology

In certain applications in Real Life, yes. Are you aware of hydrogen fuel cells, for example? They're an alternative to the toxic batteries. Also, lithium ion batteries in RL are much less toxic than cadmium ones. Then there's the fact that NationStates is a roleplayed multiverse. What's normal in RL might not be in NS. While Real Life gives us some guidance on how things could be, it doesn't mean it's a 100% guide to NS. There are many nations around here, where some or all the population is non-human, for instance. Several nations that are Future Tech, and for whom "battery" might equal "small fusion reactor", and some who are Past Tech, for whom electricity in general might be unfamiliar concept. While you don't have to account for every possible variation, you should focus on making the proposal applicable on as many things as possible. That means stepping away from specific types of batteries and thinking of energy production and storage in general.

You talk about "3rd world nations" a lot. Are you aware of all the various things with which to reduce the necessity of storing energy as electricity in batteries? Or even of some of them? Batteries are basically chemical energy. There are many other ways to store energy than just chemical. Potential, heat, pressure, etc.

So far you managed to expel totally Social component, maybe Ecological as well since as you sad it could clash with current environmental laws or it could be added as support of those laws, but still in Industrial sense you haven't mention any cons so far.

I asked you to pick what you want to focus on. You still haven't done that. Criticism doesn't mean "expelling", it means you need to do some re-thinking. Also, all the cons I've pointed out have been industrial (on top of the ones concerning the actual rules), so I really don't know where you're getting all of ^that.

Graphene batteries

No. This isn't a debate about the good and bad sides of certain battery types. This isn't a debate, period. You need a completely different attitude to make this a good proposal.

Also if I get it right, WA legislation must be written not as a single tangible narrowed item (battery), but more as generally "inspiration" to Nations what they "should" or "not" do

Kinda yes but also no. You're writing a law, not an inspirational speech. You need mandates where you require that member nations to do things. You need to give all the member nations things to do. And those things they do, must fit the category you've chosen. It all comes down to the active clauses and what you make the nations do.

Return to General Assembly