NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Don't Shoot Strangers Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gastash
Attaché

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Gastash » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:54 am

Morover wrote:"Why can weapons only be fired? Under this proposal, if an individual from a nation that has not yet been met by the home nation starts stabbing civilians outside of the home nation's territory, there is nothing the home nation can do in response. The proposal seems to assume that all weapons are firearms or something similar."

Well, under that logic the home nation can stab back. :p

Also, after the stab-fight is resolved the home nation can counterattack as it pleases, as it would no longer be the first encounter.
Ambassador Azaven, honored to represent the Empire of Gastash
Puppet of Umeria

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Gastash wrote:
Morover wrote:"Why can weapons only be fired? Under this proposal, if an individual from a nation that has not yet been met by the home nation starts stabbing civilians outside of the home nation's territory, there is nothing the home nation can do in response. The proposal seems to assume that all weapons are firearms or something similar."

Well, under that logic the home nation can stab back. :p

Also, after the stab-fight is resolved the home nation can counterattack as it pleases, as it would no longer be the first encounter.

"I agree, by logic the home nation should be able to stab back. But obviously, this proposal didn't take that logic into account. With such a massive hole in the proposal, it's no longer a loophole - it's just an oversight. Additionally, by the definition supplied by this proposal, the initial meeting can be an indefinite amount of time. This could make my hypothetical stabbing fight a much larger event than needed."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Gastash
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gastash » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:44 pm

I actually did consider the possibility of an all-melee strike force, but not only is such a force extremely ineffective without at least one bow and arrow, the attackers would need to be right next to you in order to do any damage - likely fulfilling one of the other definitions of act of hostility.

And it's an extremely niche hypothetical, not a massive loophole.
Puppet of Umeria

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:47 pm

Gastash wrote:I actually did consider the possibility of an all-melee strike force, but not only is such a force extremely ineffective without at least one bow and arrow, the attackers would need to be right next to you in order to do any damage - likely fulfilling one of the other definitions of act of hostility.

"What about pirates who specifically try and exploit this oversight? They don't need to be within the home nation's territory to do so. It may be niche, but I think you'd find people taking advantage of it nonetheless."
Last edited by Morover on Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Gastash
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gastash » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Morover wrote:
Gastash wrote:I actually did consider the possibility of an all-melee strike force, but not only is such a force extremely ineffective without at least one bow and arrow, the attackers would need to be right next to you in order to do any damage - likely fulfilling one of the other definitions of act of hostility.

"What about pirates who specifically try and exploit this oversight? They don't need to be within the home nation's territory to do so. It may be niche, but I think you'd find people taking advantage of it nonetheless."

I guess it'll be one of the things I fix in the redraft.
Puppet of Umeria

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:29 pm

Please don’t clear the loopholes, the MSR’s black market lobby is very approving of this current proposal as written.
"Hello, Masaki home. Oh, that sounds like if I were married to the family. How embarrassing. What do you think? Do you think it sounds that way?"

"I have been many things in my life, Mollari. I have been silly. I have been quiet when I should have spoken. I have been foolish. And I have wasted far too much time. But I am still Centauri. And I am not afraid."

"You are elevating futility to a high art. There is nothing you can do to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality."

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:34 am

Morover wrote:

Dealing with pirates like that is already covered by GA Resolution #20.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:55 am

Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: Just a question, does contact between Byzantium and Greece, and the Ottomans mean that Greece invading Turkey in the Turkish war of independence is prohibited under this? What about the invasion of Israel the very day it gained independence by all of its neighbours?

OOC: Response?
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:09 am

Gastash wrote:
PotatoFarmers wrote:Firstly, noting the clause highlighted in red, if more than 3 parties, including our people, meet together in uncharted territories for the first time, and one of the other party opens fire on us, wouldn't it give us permission to open fire on all other parties since the other bystander parties are technically an act of hostility has been committed by "any other parties involved"?

That is correct, although it is unlikely you'd find the time to shoot bystanders while another party is attacking you.

"So we found the loophole! It doesn't hurt you to fire on everyone else and use it as a casus belli to stomp on everyone if you have a large military and have an imperialist policy to overrun everyone. This does not solve a problem at hand for countries not to start war randomly, they just need to find a reason to."

"Besides, how would you deal with situations where it is first contact with one party but not another in a three-day meeting? The proposal is unclear in that sense, you see?"
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:32 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: Just a question, does contact between Byzantium and Greece, and the Ottomans mean that Greece invading Turkey in the Turkish war of independence is prohibited under this? What about the invasion of Israel the very day it gained independence by all of its neighbours?

OOC: Response?

(OOC: It would be up to interpretation, since that depends on whether successor states count as the original for the purposes of a meeting. Personally, I would rule that both of those examples would be prohibited by this resolution, but that is very open to different rulings. Since this will likely fail at vote, this can be fixed in the redraft.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Gastash
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gastash » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:33 am

Yes, and in fact they are perfect examples of why this proposal needs to pass. As the fledgeling nations had not been encountered before, it was very difficult to determine their strength. Going to war anyway meant a lot of pointless deaths as the new nations turned out to be stronger than the invaders had thought.

PotatoFarmers wrote:"So we found the loophole! It doesn't hurt you to fire on everyone else and use it as a casus belli to stomp on everyone if you have a large military and have an imperialist policy to overrun everyone."

Well, they have to find themselves in the very rare circumstance of encountering more than one nation at the same time, with one nation suddenly attacking and the other just sitting there. Remember, in almost every case, no nation has any reason to attack.

PotatoFarmers wrote:This does not solve a problem at hand for countries not to start war randomly, they just need to find a reason to."

One of the non-member nations would have to be the one starting a war. If they don't attack, a member nation would still be restricted by this proposal.

PotatoFarmers wrote:"Besides, how would you deal with situations where it is first contact with one party but not another in a three-day meeting? The proposal is unclear in that sense, you see?"

Not really, the proposal defines a first contact as a meeting "in which at least one party has not previously encountered or communicated with the other".
Last edited by Gastash on Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puppet of Umeria

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:12 pm

"This delegation sees no reason to oppose this proposal, we are surprised at the amount of resistance it is receiving."
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
Ambassador to the WA: Mr. Reede Tappe

TITO Tactical Officer

For a detailed list of positions, and other things of note, click here.

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:00 pm

Astrobolt wrote:"This delegation sees no reason to oppose this proposal, we are surprised at the amount of resistance it is receiving."

It’s the natural, albeit understandable, resistance to what a nation’s legitimate black market could do with this proposal.
"Hello, Masaki home. Oh, that sounds like if I were married to the family. How embarrassing. What do you think? Do you think it sounds that way?"

"I have been many things in my life, Mollari. I have been silly. I have been quiet when I should have spoken. I have been foolish. And I have wasted far too much time. But I am still Centauri. And I am not afraid."

"You are elevating futility to a high art. There is nothing you can do to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality."

Gastash
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gastash » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:28 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:
Astrobolt wrote:"This delegation sees no reason to oppose this proposal, we are surprised at the amount of resistance it is receiving."

It’s the natural, albeit understandable, resistance to what a nation’s legitimate black market could do with this proposal.

There is no such thing as a legitimate black market. Black markets are by definition illegal.
Puppet of Umeria

DeBeeland
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby DeBeeland » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:55 pm

The Free Land of DeBeeland finds at least 1.b.iii problematic (in certain real world and locally applicable circumstances) as written, and hereby votes in opposition to this proposal.

Aaron DeBee
President, The Free Land of DeBeeland

Gastash
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gastash » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:39 pm

So there's a chance this proposal might not pass.
Puppet of Umeria

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Gastash wrote:
Kaiserholt wrote:It’s the natural, albeit understandable, resistance to what a nation’s legitimate black market could do with this proposal.

There is no such thing as a legitimate black market. Black markets are by definition illegal.

Legitimacy and illegality are two different things. The Most Serene Republic believe that declaring certain things illegal is a good way of increasing prices of certain articles when said commodity hits a price plateau. Not to mention the pleasure citizens have in partaking of things they themselves voted to make illegal...knowing that in a couple years they’ll legalize it again.

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:16 pm

DeBeeland wrote:The Free Land of DeBeeland finds at least 1.b.iii problematic (in certain real world and locally applicable circumstances) as written, and hereby votes in opposition to this proposal.

Aaron DeBee
President, The Free Land of DeBeeland

Borders are curious things. One nation’s solid line on a map is another nation’s dotted line of vagueness.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:20 am

Kaiserholt wrote:Borders are curious things. One nation’s solid line on a map is another nation’s dotted line of vagueness.

"You can say that again! The treaty says the river is the border, not what used to be the river's course when the treaty was signed! Yet our northern neighbours are trying to claim a wedge of Araraukarian lowlands as theirs..." Linda grumbled.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Gastash
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gastash » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:43 am

So my proposal was defeated for something it doesn't do.

It would be really nice if, this time around, people voice their concerns before I hit submit. The point of drafting things here is that I can't find every issue by myself.

The agenda so far:
  • Find out whatever caused so many people to misread the proposal, and change it.
  • Fix the several minor loophole that were brought up during the voting period.

Ideas?
Puppet of Umeria

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Gastash wrote:
The agenda so far:
  • Find out whatever caused so many people to misread the proposal, and change it.
  • Fix the several minor loophole that were brought up during the voting period.

Ideas?

OOC: Perhaps instead of "firing a weapon at the entity" you can change it to "attacking or attempting to attack the entity" in order to more directly accomodate close range encounters.
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
Ambassador to the WA: Mr. Reede Tappe

TITO Tactical Officer

For a detailed list of positions, and other things of note, click here.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:22 pm

"Don't Shoot Strangers Act" was defeated 10,286 votes to 2,781.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:20 pm

Gastash wrote:[*]Find out whatever caused so many people to misread the proposal, and change it.

Ooc: While I was in favor of your proposal, I feel like the view that people just "misunderstood" or "misread" it, and that's the only reason they voted against, is critically flawed and perhaps a bit arrogant. I think a large portion of the resistance to it comes from the not insignificant faction of NationStates players who fantasize about curbstomping anybody they want, and don't like people telling them they shouldn't. They view conquering and killing others as some kind of right, and didn't misread your proposal - they simply didn't like it, because it messes with their NatSov fantasy. Were the margins closer, I'd think there may be an opportunity to be had from clarification, but I don't think the massive majority of delegates and individual voters simply misunderstood the text.

Gastash
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gastash » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:42 pm

Well there were certainly a lot of people who misread it, as almost all of the posts in opposition on this thread said either "this gives invaders a free pass into our territory" or "this is filled with massive loopholes", neither of which is true.

Anyway, the proposal's main argument is not that you shouldn't shoot unidentified parties because "war is bad". The argument is that if you pick a fight with an unknown there's a good chance the unknown will turn out to be a much more powerful nation that proceeds to steamroll you.
Puppet of Umeria

The COT Corporation
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The COT Corporation » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:04 am

Gastash wrote:Well there were certainly a lot of people who misread it, as almost all of the posts in opposition on this thread said either "this gives invaders a free pass into our territory" or "this is filled with massive loopholes", neither of which is true.

Anyway, the proposal's main argument is not that you shouldn't shoot unidentified parties because "war is bad". The argument is that if you pick a fight with an unknown there's a good chance the unknown will turn out to be a much more powerful nation that proceeds to steamroll you.

"I disagree, how are the loopholes non-existent?"
- Juleas Brimstone, recently elected WA ambassador. Author of the proposal, Limitation of Inhumane Weaponry.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives