NATION

PASSWORD

Proposal: Space Debris Reduction Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allech-Atreus
Attaché

Founded: Apr 01, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Proposal: Space Debris Reduction Act

Postby Allech-Atreus » Tue May 12, 2009 10:33 pm

We are absolutely opposed to an omnibus commission that will have carte blanche to inspect our interstellar vehicles. Being an interstellar empire, we have quite a lot of them and we've had many years to figure out what to do when they break.

This seems to be a case of micromanagement- if you're interested in space affairs, write something about demilitarization of orbit or some such thing.

Wens Foroun
Ambassador, Allech-Atreus
Ideological Bulwark #68

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed May 13, 2009 7:20 am

Srbian wrote:Ever heard of laser disintegration it would disintegrate the debris out of existence.
That would make it so easy that even a monkey can do it .
Note: Monkeys don't know how to a laser system

It would have to go into international security because some of the debris could have some potentially dangerous materials which on impact it would make a catastrophic explosion.

You murderer! Your bad science just resulted in the death of a catgirl. Don't you know that matter can neither be created nor destroyed.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative
Last edited by Flibbleites on Wed May 13, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed May 13, 2009 8:03 am

Srbian wrote:Ever heard of laser disintegration it would disintegrate the debris out of existence.

It would have to go into international security because some of the debris could have some potentially dangerous materials which on impact it would make a catastrophic explosion.

I would hardly say that striking one object moving at thousands of miles per hour from another object moving at thousands of miles per hour is an easy task.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Wed May 13, 2009 9:47 am

Allech-Atreus wrote:We are absolutely opposed to an omnibus commission that will have carte blanche to inspect our interstellar vehicles. Being an interstellar empire, we have quite a lot of them and we've had many years to figure out what to do when they break.

This seems to be a case of micromanagement- if you're interested in space affairs, write something about demilitarization of orbit or some such thing.

Wens Foroun
Ambassador, Allech-Atreus

It was previously amended to only include satellites, ie not interstellar vehicles.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Wed May 13, 2009 10:08 am

While the Dominion of Belriel is new to the world stage and has not yet ventured into space, we find the preceding proposal concerning.

Mainly, by simply moving space debris from low orbit to an arbitrary but higher Graveyard Orbit, does this not just create a second barrier to deal with when space exploration extends farther from the planet?

The Dominion of Belriel suggests an alternative: guide the expended craft into a collision course with the nearest star. Not only would doing so remove the dangerous debris from our orbit but it would incinerate the debris altogether, ensuring that it would not become a future problem.

Is this feasible?

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 am

Belriel wrote:While the Dominion of Belriel is new to the world stage and has not yet ventured into space, we find the preceding proposal concerning.

Mainly, by simply moving space debris from low orbit to an arbitrary but higher Graveyard Orbit, does this not just create a second barrier to deal with when space exploration extends farther from the planet?

The Dominion of Belriel suggests an alternative: guide the expended craft into a collision course with the nearest star. Not only would doing so remove the dangerous debris from our orbit but it would incinerate the debris altogether, ensuring that it would not become a future problem.

Is this feasible?

This is the thought process behind guiding them into the atmosphere. It will break up during re-entry and burn out in the atmosphere. Guiding them to a star, for most civilizations, is unfeasible. A higher graveyard orbit does not create a secondary barrier, as a) the graveyard orbit is an extremely large space, and furthermore it b) is not in the way of satellites attempting to gain Low Planetary Orbit
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Sigma Dome
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Sigma Dome » Wed May 13, 2009 10:52 am

Philimbesi wrote:

I would hardly say that striking one object moving at thousands of miles per hour from another object moving at thousands of miles per hour is an easy task.

It's not - we of Talyca's Exiled Fleet have invested a lot of time and effort in enhanced algorithms and designs in order to predict and execute better firing solutions for all kinds of weapons from railguns to lasers at ranges exceeding even a single light-second. Even then, much of an engagement at range consists of getting close-range eyes on the enemy to see their maneuvering to generate a probability chart then filling the best-chance locations with fires.

What would worry me about a space-borne weapon is that we're not only handing plans for our space assets over to the WA regardless of location, but entrusting them to use what would be a very powerful weapon solely to disintegrate 'dangerous debris'; I think we can all see where I'm going with this.

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Wed May 13, 2009 11:42 am

Forgive me for disagreeing still, but I have entered a deeper discussion with my science advisers, and I am afraid I still do not think this proposed method is the best long term solution.

Valipac wrote:This is the thought process behind guiding them into the atmosphere. It will break up during re-entry and burn out in the atmosphere.

This assumes that the entirety of the object is consumed by the atmosphere. If not, burning metal and hazardous wastes will rain down upon our planet, perhaps even within the lands of Belriel or Valipac. This method may be feasible, though not without risk, only for relatively low mass, low density space debris. Objects not falling within that category would have to be dealt with in another way.

Valipac wrote: Guiding them to a star, for most civilizations, is unfeasible.

My science advisers tell me that all it would take to perform such a feat in space is to break orbit at a specific angle and velocity, using a short burst of thrusters. It has been summarized that if a nation can put a satellite into orbit, they should very easily be able to take a satellite out of orbit in this fashion.

Valipac wrote:A higher graveyard orbit does not create a secondary barrier, as a) the graveyard orbit is an extremely large space, and furthermore it b) is not in the way of satellites attempting to gain Low Planetary Orbit

I must respectfully disagree with this, I'm afraid. Although the Graveyard Orbit space has been defined quote openly as
an orbit significantly above Low Planetary Orbit
, which may just as well define it as all of the universe outside of low orbit, it would follow that such space debris would accumulate. Even if only some of this space debris collects close to the planet (the near side of significantly far), eventually it would be dangerous for space craft to pass through this zone.

And while, yes, these objects would not endanger satellites in low orbit, I am more concerned about manned space vehicles, which may not be content to stay in low orbits.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed May 13, 2009 11:56 am

Breaking a planets orbit is one thing however honored ambassador that is only the beginning of the process. Unless you are on the planet closest to a sun you then have to traverse large areas of space to get to the star. Something that not every nation will be able to do easily if at all. There are nations from planets light years from stars in this body, there's simply no way to safely navigate an old, and possibly damaged satellite from that far away.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Wed May 13, 2009 12:25 pm

There are nations light years from a central sun? I was not aware of that. I humbly admit I am only vaguely aware that nations exist outside my current system. In that case, I concede my star-incineration solution as a all-nation fix. I believe it would still be plausible for those nations that orbit a central star or stars, however.

As for not being the closest planet to the central star in the system, I trust space-capable nations will be able to calculate the appropriate escape vector to reach their star without mid-space collisions. If not, perhaps the WA could provide the needed equations to the nations space administrations as part of the deal.

If you are worried about propulsion along the way, my science advisers assure me that the object will only need its initial push to achieve a speed that it will maintain throughout its flight.
Last edited by Belriel on Wed May 13, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed May 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Belriel wrote:There are nations light years from a central sun? I was not aware of that. I humbly admit I am only vaguely aware that nations exist outside my current system. In that case, I concede my star-incineration solution as a all-nation fix. I believe it would still be plausible for those nations that orbit a central star or stars, however.

Ah the innocence of youth. :) You will find as you wonder these hallowed halls that there are nations of every size, shape, color, location, faith and creed. Keep throwing your ideas out though, some of the best proposals were born from throwing it out there.

Plausible yes, practical meh. You're still talking about a steady stream of dead and dying satellites careening through space and breakneck speeds.
Last edited by Philimbesi on Wed May 13, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Wed May 13, 2009 12:35 pm

One would have to consider then, ambassador, which is preferable: debris hurtling through the vastness of space to be terminated at the end of its journey, or an ever accumulating amount of stationary debris in a lesser space around a populated planet?

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed May 13, 2009 12:42 pm

Belriel wrote:One would have to consider then, ambassador, which is preferable: debris hurtling through the vastness of space to be terminated at the end of its journey, or an ever accumulating amount of stationary debris in a lesser space around a populated planet?

I would venture a guess ambassador that the nations who are flying around space in what you've not make a mobile debris field would like us to keep our debris to ourselves.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Wed May 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Traveling nations, I learn more the longer I walk the halls! You were right!

That gives me another idea, and one that may solve more than one problem in one swoop.

What if nations looking to reduce their space-debris buildup simply hire traveling nations to drop it by the nearest star in their travels. Trade is stimulated, debris is removed, the pathway to space is opened.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 pm

That really doesn't seem like a matter for the WA to take up. However maybe your idea will resonate with some of our space going nations and a new industry may open up in the appropriate area.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Allech-Atreus
Attaché

Founded: Apr 01, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Allech-Atreus » Wed May 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Valipac wrote:It was previously amended to only include satellites, ie not interstellar vehicles.

It doesn't matter if it's orbiting monkey pods or simply lumps of iron we launch into space for the hell of it- the World Assembly does not have the right to interfere in such matters. The immense size of our state and the incredible proliferation of interstellar vehicles- which includes satellites and the like- would bog down the WA enforces for years anyway- can you imagine the amount of money it would take to inspect every single manufacturer and producer of space devices, not to mention the ones already existing?

It's a nonexistent problem.

W.F.
etc.
Ideological Bulwark #68

FrankyFreakOut
Civilian

Founded: May 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby FrankyFreakOut » Thu May 14, 2009 10:05 am

what methods of cleaning wouldst though propose for cleaning this space debris? :ugeek:

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu May 14, 2009 3:48 pm

FrankyFreakOut wrote:what methods of cleaning wouldst though propose for cleaning this space debris? :ugeek:

Soap, water and a healthy supply of elbow grease would be one way to clean the debris. It wouldn't get rid of it, but it'd be nice and shiny. :lol:

Timothy Schmidt
Bob Flibble's PA

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly