NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] The Destigmatisation of Mental Health Afflictions

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] The Destigmatisation of Mental Health Afflictions

Postby Republic of Satherland » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Draft 3

The World Assembly,

Fully aware of the severity of mental health afflictions among people worldwide,

Recognising the risks of leaving mental health afflictions undiagnosed and untreated, including but not limited to social isolation, increased rates of violence by and towards sufferers of mental health afflictions and attempted suicide,

Alarmed by the ongoing stigmatisation of mental health afflictions in much of modern society, especially in and around adolescent communities worldwide,

Emphasising the need for an international campaign to raise awareness on this global pandemic,

Bearing in mind the differences shared by cultures around the world surrounding the issue of mental health,

Appalled by the mischaracterisations of individuals afflicted with mental health disorders as dangerous and unpredictable by certain media platforms,

Acknowledges the responsibility of certain segments of society in educating the populous by raising awareness on contemporary issues, while challenging attitudes and helping to dispel myths,

1. Defines mental health disorders, or psychiatric and psychological illnesses in this resolution as follows:
a. Health conditions which are characterised by alterations of behaviour or thinking, associated with stress or impaired functioning;
b. Mandates the use of the term “mental health afflictions” as the umbrella term for mental health disorders for this resolution;

2. Mandates that all WA member nations conduct a large-scale inquiry into the root causes of stigma surrounding the issue of mental health in various communities under their jurisdiction;
a. The inquiries are to be designed to ascertain the sources of stigma of mental health issues in different cultures and communities around the world, the results of which will be used to hand-tailor mental health awareness campaigns in their respective communities;
b. Proclaims the umbrella term of this inquiry as the International Inquiry on the Stigmatisation of Mental Health Afflictions (IISMHA);
c. IISMHA projects in individual nations are to be planned and conducted by the World Assembly Association of that nation;
d. Topics in the IISMHA must include, but are not limited to:
i. The history of the community in question and its relevance to the stigmatisation of mental health issues in said community;
ii. The culture and religious beliefs of the community in question and its relevance to the stigmatisation of mental health issues in said community;
iii. The social structure of the community in question and its relevance to the stigmatisation of mental health issues in said community;
iv. The political and economic situation of the community in question and its relevance to the stigmatisation of mental health issues in said community;
e. Topics covered in the inquiry are permitted to be subjective based on the culture, geography, religious beliefs, etc. of a population, and those criteria will be set by the relevant health ministry of that region;
f. Confirms the commission of the International Mental Health Panel (IMHP) as the body of oversight for this inquiry;
g. Mandates that complete anonymity be given to participants and contributors of the IISMHA inquiry in all WA member nations if requested;

3. Mandates that WA member nations increase support for increasing awareness on mental health afflictions and to those suffering from mental health afflictions;
a. Urges the health ministries of WA member nations which have yet to recognise mental health afflictions as legitimate medical conditions to consider classifying mental health afflictions as a legitimate medical condition;
b. Mandates that WA member nations allocate government funds to the investment of public awareness campaigns on the subject of the destigmatisation of mental health afflictions;

The World Assembly,

Fully aware of the severity of mental illnesses among adolescents worldwide,

Recognising the risks of leaving mental health afflictions undiagnosed and untreated,

Alarmed by the ongoing stigmatisation of mental health afflictions in much of modern society, especially in and around adolescent communities,

Emphasising the need for an international campaign to raise awareness on mental health afflictions among the youth,

Bearing in mind the differences shared by cultures around the world surrounding the issue of mental health,

Acknowledges the responsibility of the media in educating segments of society by raising awareness on contemporary issues, while challenging attitudes and helping to dispel myths,

Appalled by the mischaracterisations of individuals afflicted with mental health disorders as dangerous and unpredictable by certain media platforms,

1. Defines mental health disorders, or psychiatric and psychological illnesses in this resolution as follows:
a. Health conditions which are often characterised by alterations of behaviour or thinking, associated with stress or impaired functioning;
b. Mandates the use of the term “mental health afflictions” as the umbrella term for mental health disorders for this resolution;

2. Authorises the commissioning of a large-scale inquiry into the root causes of stigma surrounding the issue of mental health in various communities worldwide;
a. The inquiries are designed to ascertain the sources of stigma of mental health issues in different cultures around the world, the results of which will be used to hand-tailor mental health awareness campaigns in their respective communities;
b. Proclaims the name of this inquiry as the International Inquiry on the Stigmatisation of Mental Health Afflictions (IISMHA);
c. IISMHA projects in individual nations are to be planned and conducted by the World Assembly Association of that nation;
i. The history of the community in question and its relevance to the stigmatisation of mental health issues in said community;
ii. The culture and religious beliefs of the community in question and its relevance to the stigmatisation of mental health issues in said community;
iii. The social structure of the community in question and its relevance to the stigmatisation of mental health issues in said community;
iv. The political and economic situation of the community in question and its relevance to the stigmatisation of mental health issues in said community;
e. Topics covered in the inquiry are permitted to be subjective based on the culture, geography, religious beliefs, etc. of a population, and those criteria will be set by the World Assembly Associations of that region;
f. Confirms the commission of the International Mental Health Inquiry Panel (IMHIP) as the body of oversight for this inquiry;

3. Commissions the International Youth’s Mass Awareness for Mental Afflictions campaign to raise awareness on mental health issues and the issues surrounding mental health afflictions among adolescents;
a. Defines the nature of the campaign as a country-specific campaign tailored to the societal structures of their respective nations;
b. Mandates the use of the IISMHA as the foundations for the direction of the campaign;
c. Campaigns in individual nations are to primarily be planned and conducted by the World Assembly Association of that nation;

4. Mandates that WA member nations increase support for mental health issues and those suffering from mental health afflictions;
a. Requires WA member nations which have yet to recognise mental health afflictions as legitimate medical conditions to classify mental health afflictions as a legitimate health condition;
b. Mandates that WA member nations allocate government funds to the investment of public awareness campaigns on the subject of the destigmatisation of mental health afflictions;

The World Assembly,

Fully aware of the severity of mental illnesses among adolescents worldwide,

Recognising the risks of leaving mental health afflictions undiagnosed and untreated,

Alarmed by the ongoing stigmatisation of mental health afflictions in much of modern society, especially in and around adolescent communities,

Emphasising the need for an international campaign to raise awareness on mental health afflictions among the youth,

Acknowledges the responsibility of the media in educating segments of society by raising awareness on contemporary issues, while challenging attitudes and helping to dispel myths,

a. Health conditions which are often characterised by alterations of behaviour or thinking, associated with stress or impaired functioning;

2. Authorises the commissioning of a large-scale inquiry into the root causes of stigma surrounding the issue of mental health in various communities worldwide;
a. The inquiries are designed to ascertain the sources of stigma of mental health issues in different cultures around the world, the results of which will be used to hand-tailor mental health awareness campaigns in their respective communities;
b. Proclaims the name of this inquiry as the International Inquiry on the Stigmatisation of Mental Health Afflictions (IISMHA);
d. Topics in the IISMHA must include, but is not limited to:
e. Topics covered in the inquiry are permitted to be subjective based on the culture, geography, religious beliefs, etc. of a population, and those criteria will be set by the World Assembly Associations of that region;
f. Confirms the forming of the International Mental Health Inquiry Panel (IMHIP) the body of oversight for this inquiry;

3. Approves the conducting of the International Youth’s Mass Awareness for Mental Afflictions campaign to raise awareness on mental health issues and the issues surrounding mental health afflictions among adolescents;
a. Defines the nature of the campaign as a country-specific campaign tailored to the societal structures of their respective nations;
b. Mandates the use of the IISMHA as the foundations for the direction of the campaign;
c. Campaigns in individual nations are to primarily be planned and conducted by the World Assembly Association of that nation;

4. Urges WA member nations to increase support for mental health issues and those suffering from mental health afflictions;
a. Further urges WA member nations which have yet to recognise mental health afflictions as legitimate medical conditions to do so;
b. Implores WA member nations to increase government funding for mental health care in their own capacity;
Last edited by Republic of Satherland on Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
I'm mad at everything. Don't take it personally.

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:11 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for feedback on this GA resolution (as advised by multiple GA sec-gens) to better improve it before I attempt to submit it to the GA. Please give your honest feedback on the proposal. Thanks in advance. :)

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:42 pm

Speaking OOC, this is a fantastic proposal that's very well-written and addresses a relatively niche but very important issue.

I'm no GA old-timer, so take this with salt, but most of the proposal is taken up by what the IISMHA will do. Perhaps it would be possible to use language binding states to follow IISMHA recommendations in their destigmatisation campaigns, should they choose to take them up?

IC-speaking, the Brukean delegation would have reservations about supporting the measure because of the country's history, dating back to medieval times at earliest, of deferring to religious institutions to treat the mentally ill with what is at best faith healing with holy water, prayer and such, and what is at worst an incitement to mob violence against "demons", "witches", etc.
Last edited by Bruke on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:43 pm

“This is a very good proposal. I recommend telling the IHMIP to actually distribute their findings, since currently all you mandate is the study itself as opposed to its distribution. Also, the category and strength of the proposal should be in the draft somewhere.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:06 am

Bruke wrote:Speaking OOC, this is a fantastic proposal that's very well-written and addresses a relatively niche but very important issue.

I'm no GA old-timer, so take this with salt, but most of the proposal is taken up by what the IISMHA will do. Perhaps it would be possible to use language binding states to follow IISMHA recommendations in their destigmatisation campaigns, should they choose to take them up?

IC-speaking, the Brukean delegation would have reservations about supporting the measure because of the country's history, dating back to medieval times at earliest, of deferring to religious institutions to treat the mentally ill with what is at best faith healing with holy water, prayer and such, and what is at worst an incitement to mob violence against "demons", "witches", etc.

Hi, thanks for your feedback! I do have a question on using language binding states to follow IISMHA recommendations though. How should I put such a recommendation down on paper? I look forward to any suggestions you could provide.

About the part of the proposal that mandates the consideration of a nation's history in regards to the causes of the stigmatisation of mental health afflictions, this proposal simply urges nations to ascertain the relation that a nation's history may have in regards to any stigmatisation of mental health afflictions in said nation. Maybe the word "mandate" was too harsh. I'll seek to amend that soon.

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:08 am

Kenmoria wrote:“This is a very good proposal. I recommend telling the IHMIP to actually distribute their findings, since currently all you mandate is the study itself as opposed to its distribution. Also, the category and strength of the proposal should be in the draft somewhere.”

Noted. I'll seek to amend that soon. Thanks for your feedback!

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:09 am

OOC: Hello, welcome to the GA. I'm glad that you've posted this proposal for continued drafting. It's a good idea and well written so far and I'm sure it can be a very good proposal with further drafting based on advice here. I would caution not to rush to resubmission so as to get as many contributions as possible.

IIRC I thought that the correct Area of Effect of the most recent submission should be Healthcare based on the current non-committee operative clauses.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:11 am

OOC: I'll give more detailed feedback after more sleep, for coherence's sake, but something that is one of the "unwritten rules"... given that the AoEs have the strength of significant or strong in terms of stat effects, to my knowledge the language of the proposal should reflect that - "urges" is not mandatory language and thus would count as "mild" instead. Also, "urges - implores" doesn't work grammatically.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Hello, welcome to the GA. I'm glad that you've posted this proposal for continued drafting. It's a good idea and well written so far and I'm sure it can be a very good proposal with further drafting based on advice here. I would caution not to rush to resubmission so as to get as many contributions as possible.

IIRC I thought that the correct Area of Effect of the most recent submission should be Healthcare based on the current non-committee operative clauses.

Noted. I'll take as much feedback as I can. Thanks for the help!

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: I'll give more detailed feedback after more sleep, for coherence's sake, but something that is one of the "unwritten rules"... given that the AoEs have the strength of significant or strong in terms of stat effects, to my knowledge the language of the proposal should reflect that - "urges" is not mandatory language and thus would count as "mild" instead. Also, "urges - implores" doesn't work grammatically.

Well, the goal of this proposal is to keep the overall effects of the resolution mild and leave WA member nations with greater autonomy with regards to the implementation of this resolution. On the the issue of grammar, I'll seek to amend that in the second draft that I'll attempt to unveil as soon as possible. Thanks for the feedback!
Last edited by Republic of Satherland on Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anglia-Saxia
Secretary

Founded: Dec 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglia-Saxia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:06 pm

This is an amazing proposal,and would be passed if you din't commit minor errors. If this become an resolution,I will vote for!
Idk what to put in this signature. I'm not an native english speaker,so please don't mind if I make errors.
Nation is an more extreme version of my personal views.

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:13 pm

Anglia-Saxia wrote:This is an amazing proposal,and would be passed if you din't commit minor errors. If this become an resolution,I will vote for!

Thanks so much for your support! Rest assured, I will seek to amend any and all errors I come across and will publish a second draft that hopefully fixes said errors and improves upon the resolution.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:00 am

Republic of Satherland wrote:Well, the goal of this proposal is to keep the overall effects of the resolution mild

OOC: Then you'll need to write it to fit a category that has strengths, instead of one that has areas of effect. And speaking of, this sounds more like a human rights thing, in general, if the idea is to stop discrimination ("stigma") based on mental health status. Either the current Civil Rights category or the Moral Decency (depending on your angle) should be workable.

OOC post. The more thorough feedback promised.

Republic of Satherland wrote:Fully aware of the severity of mental illnesses among adolescents worldwide,

Why just adolescents? Your active clauses include stuff for all people with mental health issues, so singling out adolescents in the preamble doesn't make much sense. Also, you largely use mental health afflictions, so the use of "mental illnesses" here looks out of place.

Which do what? You need to spell out what the risks would be, and even more so, why they would be big enough an issue to require international laws to fix.

...I'm trying to fight the urge to go "Source?" for much of this, but here I'm going to actually ask for an OOC source on it being a bigger issue among kids, than adults. And do note that while bullying can cause mental health issues, most mental health issues don't show outwards and are thus unlikely to be targeted by bullies.

What is that need? Why does it need to be international? You need to use the preamble to convince voters that 1. this is an international issue and 2. that it's big enough an issue to need the WA to step in.

And yet you're going to trample over them with all the grace of a bulldozer (WA laws go over national laws and traditions).

The media is also largely to blame for spreading and even creating myths with sensationalist reporting practices. For this one I'd replace "media" with "society" and replacing "segments of society" with "people".

Hence the substitution suggestions for the above clause. You should have some kind of version of "Hereby" here, to mark the divide between the preamble and the active clauses.

Why? Actually, if you're only talking of this particular resolution, you get the effect simply by using only "mental health affliction" in the text. How people talk about it, you can't control, so the proposal text is up to you alone. Also, the inclusion of behaviour in the list is a bit problematic, given that it's separated from thinking with an "or". I recently hurt by back again (recurrent issue), and it certainly changed my behaviour and caused stress and impaired functioning, yet it was an entirely physical issue. This problem would largely be solved by changing " behaviour or thinking" into " behaviour and thinking".

Okay, several problems with this one.

First of all, simply authorizing something can happen, does not actually make it happen. If you definitely want this to happen, you need to change this into something like "Mandates that member nations conduct a large-scale survey", and in any case I'd use survey rather than inquiry, because the latter creates the mental image of people being interrogated.

Secondly, the use of "worldwide" is a problem, because the WA can only affect member nations, and I'm fairly sure most non-members would object to WA nations asking sharp questions from their citizenry.

Thirdly, and this is important, you should absolutely mandate this to be conducted in some way that ensures the anonymity of people being interviewed/answering the survey. Given how personal and painful issue menthal health problems are, you're not going to get any useful data if one must tag their name to the answers. Filling out an anomymous survey is how these things are usually dealt with in RL.

The "around the world" thing was already highlighted as a problem, but "source of stigma of mental health issues" sounds weird, when the mental health issues are the source of the stigma. And the latter part is just... augh. Be very VERY careful how you word this and target this, because people - especially if we're talking of school kids - know stuff about each other, and if the campaign is too targeted, they'll be able to guess who is the root cause. If there's one quiet and sad kid in the class, and then the class gets a tailor-made education campaign about How We Must Be Supportive Of Depressed People, it won't take much to put two and two together and deduce that the quiet sad kid is depressed, and now her bullies can look up what exactly that means, and use it to bully her some more.

So, given that you talk about "cultures" and "communities" as if one was equivalent of other, I think you have some internal confusion in this clause. For instance, what do you mean by "culture"? Do you mean like (in RL terms) "western culture" or "Italian culture" or "Sicilian culture" or "school culture" or even the culture of a specific school? A "community" can be as small as one class of children, but if they get a campaign based on the general culture of the entire continent, that's not very "hand-tailored".

You could just name it in the main clause. Also I think an inquiry is in something, while a survey is "on". And I still urge you to change this into a survey, not inquiry. You'll get better data that way, trust me.

What's a World Assembly Association?

"Are" instead of "is", and you really should use the list code. Say if you need help with it.

The "relevance of stigmatisation of mental health issues in said community" should be put in the preceding clause so you don't need to repeat it every time, and in any case that's more the kind of thing that only experts can really ascertain, not randomly interviewed people. Or you could have a survey with the "a lot", "quite a bit", "a bit", "not much" and "not at all" choices, and tailor the questions to match, and then the relevancy would show up in the number crunching phase, if there was statistical relevance to be found, that is.

Subjectiveness is a dangerous thing to include into something like this, because in a religious nation "people not in the state church" could be counted to automatically be insane and thus their answers invalid. (Again, an anonymous survey...) Or in any case to make belonging in the church be the requirement to be considered part of the community. Because, they, if the stigma of not belonging to the church being used to bully someone so much that they get depressed, then subjectively speaking it's their own fault for not belonging to the church, right? I'm sure you can see the issue.

f. Confirms the forming of the International Mental Health Inquiry Panel (IMHIP) the body of oversight for this inquiry;

...why? Also, you need to make this "forms" and not "confirms the forming", if you want it to actually materialize. But what is it for?

3. Approves the conducting of the International Youth’s Mass Awareness for Mental Afflictions campaign to raise awareness on mental health issues and the issues surrounding mental health afflictions among adolescents;

...so the above massive thing is just conducted for LOLs? Why again the weird narrowing-down into adolescents, when it's rarely the adolescent themselves that are the issue, but rather adult reactions to mental health issues of adolescents - like being told "it's just part of puberty to be moody" when actually clinically depressed, and thus denied any chance of having treatment or therapy - and I'm not sure that using "mass" in the name is going to be helpful.

Also, it might just be a language thing (English isn't my first language), but "afflictions" has an unpleasant echo to it. I'd prefer "issues" to be used instead. And I say this as someone with a mental disorder diagnosis.

...that's not very "hand-tailored to community". And what the hell are "societal structures" in the context?

...why? If it's conducted as an inquiry (interviews/interrogations) instead of an anonymous survey, and the nation in question has been doing anonymous surveys annually and thus knows helluva lot better what's going on inside its borders, why should they set up a massive misinformation campaign?

What the hell is a World Assembly Association and why should they do the nation's job?

4. Urges WA member nations to increase support for mental health issues and those suffering from mental health afflictions;

Supporting mental health issues themselves makes no sense. Presumably you mean support for the people suffering from them.

a. Further urges WA member nations which have yet to recognise mental health afflictions as legitimate medical conditions to do so;

Given the very vague definition, a nation would itself have to be insane to medicalize the "afflictions". In any case this is the kind of thing that only medical experts should do, not some random committee-thingy that goes "rah! rah! mental illness!"

b. Implores WA member nations to increase government funding for mental health care in their own capacity;

Throwing money at something doesn't magically make things better.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC post. The more thorough feedback promised.

Sorry for taking such a long time to reply. Wow, that's a lot to digest. Thanks for your critique though. I'll take what notes I can and write a second draft as soon as I can find the time to do so.
Last edited by Republic of Satherland on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 am

I've finally found some time to release second draft of this resolution. It isn't much, I mostly just made some changes to Clause 4. Please provide any feedback if you have any.

The Yellow Monkey
Attaché

Founded: Jan 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Monkey » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:47 pm

I want to start by saying I support this endeavor in spirit.

Republic of Satherland wrote:Bearing in mind the differences shared by cultures around the world surrounding the issue of mental health,

I really don't know what you're referring to here. I don't know what it means for differences to be shared. I don't think this part of the preamble is meaningful. I think you should delete this part of the preamble. Or, reword it so it means something.

Then again, it's part of the preamble so you could also leave it in its current ambiguous form or go full on incoherent and write "Differences bearing shared cultures world around the mind heath of issue mental the" and it wouldn't effect my vote. Just a suggestion.

Republic of Satherland wrote:Acknowledges the responsibility of the media in educating segments of society by raising awareness on contemporary issues, while challenging attitudes and helping to dispel myths,

Just... in general make sure you are saying what you want to say. You switch to a weird tense with "Acknowledges" instead of "Acknowledging," and the word "while" is superfluous, and "helping to dispel myths" could be shorted to "dispelling myths." Saying you're "Appalled by the mischaracterisations of individuals afflicted with mental health disorders" makes it sound like mentally ill people are mischaracterising something in a way that bothers you. Perhaps "Appalled/Troubled/Horrified/Terrified/Flabbergasted by media that misleadingly characterizes mentally ill individuals as dangerous and unpredictable."

Trying to help improve the writing here. Take it or leave it.

Republic of Satherland wrote:1. Defines mental health disorders, or psychiatric and psychological illnesses in this resolution as follows:

Okay, you're losing me a bit here with part (b), both with its awkward and needless attempt at political correctness and the fact that your definition of "mental health disorders" bizarrely contains a mandate that they be called "mental health afflictions" instead. That's weird. You should remove part (b).

I also don't think you need the word "often" in part (a); it creates unnecessary ambiguity without any discernible benefit. If I suffer from infrequent but severe bouts of schizophrenia, I should be covered by this law right? I think the definition needs more refining but lets start with that.

Republic of Satherland wrote:2. Authorises the commissioning of a large-scale inquiry into the root causes of stigma surrounding the issue of mental health in various communities worldwide;
f. Confirms the commission of the International Mental Health Inquiry Panel (IMHIP) as the body of oversight for this inquiry;

Okay, a massive bureaucracy to "ascertain the sources of stigma of mental health issues." That's fine, I guess. It's more micromanage-y than I like but whatever floats your boat; there's nothing really objectionable here.

Republic of Satherland wrote:3. Commissions the International Youth’s Mass Awareness for Mental Afflictions campaign to raise awareness on mental health issues and the issues surrounding mental health afflictions among adolescents;

Okay... more bureaucracy but this time to raise awareness on mental health issues specific to youths. Fine, okay, that's a lot of bureaucracy in one proposal but whatever. At least this one is less micromanage-y. The first bureaucracy could learn from this bureaucracy.

Republic of Satherland wrote:4. Mandates that WA member nations increase support for mental health issues and those suffering from mental health afflictions;
a. Requires WA member nations which have yet to recognise mental health afflictions as legitimate medical conditions to classify mental health afflictions as a legitimate health condition;

Finally, we get to the part where Member Nations do something!! This is a good start! But it could be more clear and to the point. "Requires WA member nations which have yet to recognise mental health afflictions as legitimate medical conditionsto classify mental health afflictions as a legitimate health condition." That does EXACTLY the same thing you were going for but without an unnecessary conditional clause.

You might want to beef up your call for funding. Some nations will look at such a loose funding mandate, invest $1 to the cause, and smile as they proclaim their compliance with the plain requirements of the law.

That's enough for now. I look forward to seeing where you take this.
Last edited by The Yellow Monkey on Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:06 pm

OOC: Most of this still applies: viewtopic.php?p=36373617#p36373617

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:56 am

I admit that having to read through some of these responses again was thoroughly agonising at points, but I really thank you for taking the time to provide your opinion.

OOC post. The more thorough feedback promised.

Republic of Satherland wrote:Fully aware of the severity of mental illnesses among adolescents worldwide,

Why just adolescents? Your active clauses include stuff for all people with mental health issues, so singling out adolescents in the preamble doesn't make much sense. Also, you largely use mental health afflictions, so the use of "mental illnesses" here looks out of place.

A: Tbh I actually wrote this for the Youth Assembly council of a Model United Nations conference, hence the 'adolescents'. On the second matter, that was a mistake.

Which do what? You need to spell out what the risks would be, and even more so, why they would be big enough an issue to require international laws to fix.

A: Noted. I've listed down a few (which you'll probably ask the source for but I can't give any because NS is a game without any mental health research bodies so I have to use real world examples).

...I'm trying to fight the urge to go "Source?" for much of this, but here I'm going to actually ask for an OOC source on it being a bigger issue among kids, than adults. And do note that while bullying can cause mental health issues, most mental health issues don't show outwards and are thus unlikely to be targeted by bullies.

A: Again, sorry.

What is that need? Why does it need to be international? You need to use the preamble to convince voters that 1. this is an international issue and 2. that it's big enough an issue to need the WA to step in.

A: I made an attempt to do so in Draft 3. Feel free to provide any feedback.

And yet you're going to trample over them with all the grace of a bulldozer (WA laws go over national laws and traditions).

A: Can you like, read the whole draft res first before getting all sarcastic on me like that? Jesus.

The media is also largely to blame for spreading and even creating myths with sensationalist reporting practices. For this one I'd replace "media" with "society" and replacing "segments of society" with "people".

A: Done. Thanks for helping me out with this.

Hence the substitution suggestions for the above clause. You should have some kind of version of "Hereby" here, to mark the divide between the preamble and the active clauses.

A: Thanks.

Okay, several problems with this one.

First of all, simply authorizing something can happen, does not actually make it happen. If you definitely want this to happen, you need to change this into something like "Mandates that member nations conduct a large-scale survey", and in any case I'd use survey rather than inquiry, because the latter creates the mental image of people being interrogated.

Secondly, the use of "worldwide" is a problem, because the WA can only affect member nations, and I'm fairly sure most non-members would object to WA nations asking sharp questions from their citizenry.

Thirdly, and this is important, you should absolutely mandate this to be conducted in some way that ensures the anonymity of people being interviewed/answering the survey. Given how personal and painful issue menthal health problems are, you're not going to get any useful data if one must tag their name to the answers. Filling out an anomymous survey is how these things are usually dealt with in RL.

A. Done and done. I've mandated the commission of the inquiries, and I hope Clause 2(g) who mend the latter.

The "around the world" thing was already highlighted as a problem, but "source of stigma of mental health issues" sounds weird, when the mental health issues are the source of the stigma. And the latter part is just... augh. Be very VERY careful how you word this and target this, because people - especially if we're talking of school kids - know stuff about each other, and if the campaign is too targeted, they'll be able to guess who is the root cause. If there's one quiet and sad kid in the class, and then the class gets a tailor-made education campaign about How We Must Be Supportive Of Depressed People, it won't take much to put two and two together and deduce that the quiet sad kid is depressed, and now her bullies can look up what exactly that means, and use it to bully her some more.

So, given that you talk about "cultures" and "communities" as if one was equivalent of other, I think you have some internal confusion in this clause. For instance, what do you mean by "culture"? Do you mean like (in RL terms) "western culture" or "Italian culture" or "Sicilian culture" or "school culture" or even the culture of a specific school? A "community" can be as small as one class of children, but if they get a campaign based on the general culture of the entire continent, that's not very "hand-tailored".

A: I'm sorry if "sources" sounds rather odd (I think so too), but I really have not other way to describe it with my vocabulary.

Amended 2(a) to solve the confusion on the "cultures and communities" matter.

You could just name it in the main clause. Also I think an inquiry is in something, while a survey is "on". And I still urge you to change this into a survey, not inquiry. You'll get better data that way, trust me.

A: How?

What's a World Assembly Association?

A: Again, Model United Nations conference. The UN has UNA's in every UN member nation that oversee their operations in said country. I've amended this to make the overseers the relevant health ministries of each WA member nation conducting the IISMHA.

"Are" instead of "is", and you really should use the list code. Say if you need help with it.

A: Noted. Thanks.

The "relevance of stigmatisation of mental health issues in said community" should be put in the preceding clause so you don't need to repeat it every time, and in any case that's more the kind of thing that only experts can really ascertain, not randomly interviewed people. Or you could have a survey with the "a lot", "quite a bit", "a bit", "not much" and "not at all" choices, and tailor the questions to match, and then the relevancy would show up in the number crunching phase, if there was statistical relevance to be found, that is.

Subjectiveness is a dangerous thing to include into something like this, because in a religious nation "people not in the state church" could be counted to automatically be insane and thus their answers invalid. (Again, an anonymous survey...) Or in any case to make belonging in the church be the requirement to be considered part of the community. Because, they, if the stigma of not belonging to the church being used to bully someone so much that they get depressed, then subjectively speaking it's their own fault for not belonging to the church, right? I'm sure you can see the issue.

A: There are two ways this can go. 1. The WA forces every single WA member nation to comply with their word-for-word specific guidelines, reinforcing your "run those cultures over with a bulldozer" notion and completely defeating the purpose of painfully conducting inquiries on how the cultures, traditions, history and current political climate affects people; or 2. We give these nations some freedom to conduct these campaigns, so that the WA is NOT an authoritarian organisation that forcefully pushes its will on its hapless members. Yes, some more conservative nations will not conduct their campaigns in a manner that is befitting to your nation's moral standards, but that's a small price we'll have to pay.

...so the above massive thing is just conducted for LOLs? Why again the weird narrowing-down into adolescents, when it's rarely the adolescent themselves that are the issue, but rather adult reactions to mental health issues of adolescents - like being told "it's just part of puberty to be moody" when actually clinically depressed, and thus denied any chance of having treatment or therapy - and I'm not sure that using "mass" in the name is going to be helpful.

Also, it might just be a language thing (English isn't my first language), but "afflictions" has an unpleasant echo to it. I'd prefer "issues" to be used instead. And I say this as someone with a mental disorder diagnosis.

A: Come on man, that's not a very nice thing to say, even when critiquing someone. And I've removed Clause 3 for now while I try to think of something more effective.

Supporting mental health issues themselves makes no sense. Presumably you mean support for the people suffering from them.

A: Mended.

Given the very vague definition, a nation would itself have to be insane to medicalize the "afflictions". In any case this is the kind of thing that only medical experts should do, not some random committee-thingy that goes "rah! rah! mental illness!"

A: I've mended 3(a).

Throwing money at something doesn't magically make things better.[/quote]

A: And not increasing government allocations for mental healthcare doesn't magically make things better either.
Last edited by Republic of Satherland on Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:07 am

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I'm still working on this.

The Yellow Monkey wrote:I want to start by saying I support this endeavor in spirit.

Republic of Satherland wrote:Bearing in mind the differences shared by cultures around the world surrounding the issue of mental health,

I really don't know what you're referring to here. I don't know what it means for differences to be shared. I don't think this part of the preamble is meaningful. I think you should delete this part of the preamble. Or, reword it so it means something.

Then again, it's part of the preamble so you could also leave it in its current ambiguous form or go full on incoherent and write "Differences bearing shared cultures world around the mind heath of issue mental the" and it wouldn't effect my vote. Just a suggestion.

A: I'm just gonna be frank and say that I've left a lot of things here ambiguous (like typical GA resoultions) so that fewer nations with have a reason to take offense in the clauses and directives laid out in this resolution.

Republic of Satherland wrote:Acknowledges the responsibility of the media in educating segments of society by raising awareness on contemporary issues, while challenging attitudes and helping to dispel myths,

Just... in general make sure you are saying what you want to say. You switch to a weird tense with "Acknowledges" instead of "Acknowledging," and the word "while" is superfluous, and "helping to dispel myths" could be shorted to "dispelling myths." Saying you're "Appalled by the mischaracterisations of individuals afflicted with mental health disorders" makes it sound like mentally ill people are mischaracterising something in a way that bothers you. Perhaps "Appalled/Troubled/Horrified/Terrified/Flabbergasted by media that misleadingly characterizes mentally ill individuals as dangerous and unpredictable."

Trying to help improve the writing here. Take it or leave it.

A: Thanks. I'll keep in consideration.

Republic of Satherland wrote:1. Defines mental health disorders, or psychiatric and psychological illnesses in this resolution as follows:

Okay, you're losing me a bit here with part (b), both with its awkward and needless attempt at political correctness and the fact that your definition of "mental health disorders" bizarrely contains a mandate that they be called "mental health afflictions" instead. That's weird. You should remove part (b).

I also don't think you need the word "often" in part (a); it creates unnecessary ambiguity without any discernible benefit. If I suffer from infrequent but severe bouts of schizophrenia, I should be covered by this law right? I think the definition needs more refining but lets start with that.

A: Thanks.

Republic of Satherland wrote:2. Authorises the commissioning of a large-scale inquiry into the root causes of stigma surrounding the issue of mental health in various communities worldwide;

Okay, a massive bureaucracy to "ascertain the sources of stigma of mental health issues." That's fine, I guess. It's more micromanage-y than I like but whatever floats your boat; there's nothing really objectionable here.

A: I'm trying to remove as such bureaucratic red tape as possible. I'm still working on it.

Republic of Satherland wrote:3. Commissions the International Youth’s Mass Awareness for Mental Afflictions campaign to raise awareness on mental health issues and the issues surrounding mental health afflictions among adolescents;

Okay... more bureaucracy but this time to raise awareness on mental health issues specific to youths. Fine, okay, that's a lot of bureaucracy in one proposal but whatever. At least this one is less micromanage-y. The first bureaucracy could learn from this bureaucracy.

A: I've deleted this clause for now while I try to amend it. Feel free to provide any suggestions.

Republic of Satherland wrote:4. Mandates that WA member nations increase support for mental health issues and those suffering from mental health afflictions;

Finally, we get to the part where Member Nations do something!! This is a good start! But it could be more clear and to the point. "Requires WA member nations which have yet to recognise mental health afflictions as legitimate medical conditionsto classify mental health afflictions as a legitimate health condition." That does EXACTLY the same thing you were going for but without an unnecessary conditional clause.

You might want to beef up your call for funding. Some nations will look at such a loose funding mandate, invest $1 to the cause, and smile as they proclaim their compliance with the plain requirements of the law.

A: Yeah, I know. But in my opinion it's either "urge nations to provide more funding" or have the WA be seen as an "autocratic organisation that dictates the national budgets of its member nations". :/

That's enough for now. I look forward to seeing where you take this.

The Yellow Monkey
Attaché

Founded: Jan 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Monkey » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:20 am

Republic of Satherland wrote:

A: Yeah, I know. But in my opinion it's either "urge nations to provide more funding" or have the WA be seen as an "autocratic organisation that dictates the national budgets of its member nations". :/

You are thinking too rigidly. Strict compartmentalization works until it doesn't.

What about "Mandates that WA member nations fund public awareness programs to the degree necessary to destigmatise mental health afflictions."
Last edited by The Yellow Monkey on Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:30 am

How exactly will the IMHP oversee the IISMHA? Why do you need to create an "International Inquiry" in the first place if all of the details surrounding it will be reserved to member states? And why are you not granting anonymity to the survey answerers by default, as may have been suggested earlier?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:23 pm

The Yellow Monkey wrote:

You are thinking too rigidly. Strict compartmentalization works until it doesn't.

What about "Mandates that WA member nations fund public awareness programs to the degree necessary to destigmatise mental health afflictions."

Good idea. I'll add it in for Draft 4. Thanks.

Republic of Satherland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Satherland » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:25 pm

Tinhampton wrote:How exactly will the IMHP oversee the IISMHA? Why do you need to create an "International Inquiry" in the first place if all of the details surrounding it will be reserved to member states? And why are you not granting anonymity to the survey answerers by default, as may have been suggested earlier?

The IMHP is just a simple body of oversight that will ensure that WA member nations are in compliance with DOMHA and will provide additional support if requested by member nations. I'll make sure to elaborate further on this in Draft 4.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:54 pm

Style

The seeming consensus at least on the WA Discord has moved very far from the application of styling to verbs or incipits. The style applied in your proposal broadly aligns with existing norms, though there are some areas which seem somewhat like circumlocutions and other portions don't perfectly align with the idea that the whole piece is a single sentence. Broadly, one could split into lots of clauses or just use a statute style à la UK or other jurisdictions. Not to plug my blog too much, but you'll find a short post on the topic there with some pre-made explanations and examples.

Preamble

The World Assembly,

Fully aware of the severity of mental health afflictions among people worldwide,

Recognising the risks of leaving mental health afflictions undiagnosed and untreated, including but not limited to social isolation, increased rates of violence by and towards sufferers of mental health afflictions and attempted suicide,

Alarmed by the ongoing stigmatisation of mental health afflictions in much of modern society, especially in and around adolescent communities worldwide,

Emphasising the need for an international campaign to raise awareness on this global pandemic,

Acknowledges the responsibility of certain segments of society in educating the populous by raising awareness on contemporary issues, while challenging attitudes and helping to dispel myths,

I'd condense these into a few major points. At a broad argumentative level, you should establish a claim, warrant, and impact. Those three should then yield at least one substantive argument in favour of the resolution. The impact should also best relate to something that you believe that an international body ought to do. This requires at least two warrants: the insufficiency of the status quo (non-inherency) and the reasons why the World Assembly ought to be taking this action (topicality). I would also caution away from using overly hyperbolic language like 'pandemic'.

Section 1

a. Health conditions which are characterised by alterations of behaviour or thinking, associated with stress or impaired functioning;

The general turn of phrase is "Defines for the purposes of this resolution: term as definition". On a stylistic note, you ought to split your mandates and definitions by section rather than grouping them under this specific section.

Section 2

2. Mandates that all WA member nations conduct a large-scale inquiry into the root causes of stigma surrounding the issue of mental health in various communities under their jurisdiction;
a. The inquiries are to be designed to ascertain the sources of stigma of mental health issues in different cultures and communities around the world, the results of which will be used to hand-tailor mental health awareness campaigns in their respective communities;
b. Proclaims the umbrella term of this inquiry as the International Inquiry on the Stigmatisation of Mental Health Afflictions (IISMHA);
e. Topics covered in the inquiry are permitted to be subjective based on the culture, geography, religious beliefs, etc. of a population, and those criteria will be set by the relevant health ministry of that region;
f. Confirms the commission of the International Mental Health Panel (IMHP) as the body of oversight for this inquiry;
g. Mandates that complete anonymity be given to participants and contributors of the IISMHA inquiry in all WA member nations if requested;

Use the list code to create indented subsections. For examples of the list code, see the Passed resolutions thread.

To me, the idea that some body must conduct an inquiry is unhelpful and easily got around. Imagine an inquiry where they just say that nothing is broken and that nothing is wrong. Certainly an inquiry. Not a helpful one. This solution broadly preferred by a lot of authors on this has simply been to delegate the authority to do this to a committee instead of having it done by the nation. If you wanted large levels of public participation, you would write such a thing in the legislation establishing the committee's task.

Moreover, the idea of placing clauses that could become spent into law eventually means the clause becomes useless. After the compilation of this inquiry and the return of its recommendations... then what? What do you do with the report? Either make it a perpetual review process (which could also be objected to in terms of cost, though it seems that the GA pretends costs basically do not exist in any quantity) or eliminate the process.

Section 3

3. Mandates that WA member nations increase support for increasing awareness on mental health afflictions and to those suffering from mental health afflictions;
a. Urges the health ministries of WA member nations which have yet to recognise mental health afflictions as legitimate medical conditions to consider classifying mental health afflictions as a legitimate medical condition;

There is a style thing here again similar to the first element. The use of the word mandates in a subsection doesn't make logical sense. That aside—

The general purpose of WA legislation is to create goals for members to meet. In this sense, they are very much like European Union Directives (though I'd imagine BA will raise a fuss about that). Laws can also specify the mode of interaction, which makes them somewhat like EU Regulations, but we do not have a strict dichotomy between the two, even in application of something like the strength rule.

That said, a goal of 'make X go up by an unspecified amount' or 'spend more' is unclear. Nations could comply by spending 20 pence more. Similarly is 'make X go up by 5 per cent' because that generally doesn't not fit all situations. This is why authors generally ask for specific conditions to be met (eg Minimum Standard of Living Act). The conditional can be wrapped away because it is unnecessary to tell someone 'If you have not done X, do X'. Doing X, if it is a state and not, say, a production target, is either already completed or it isn't, so the conditional is unnecessary.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Toasted Biscuit
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Full Support

Postby Toasted Biscuit » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:17 pm

This Bill has Toasted Biscuits full support!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly