NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] International Regulations on Radio Signals Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lecosia
Secretary

Founded: Oct 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:42 am

"A revised draft has been submitted for perusal based on members' critiques."
"We have no law but the single principle of mutual aid between individuals"--Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:43 pm

OOC: I'll look into the actual contents later, but on the category issue - since the repealed original passed, there have become new categories available. This sounds like very much something that could be made to fit into "Regulation" category. However, that category has areas of effect, instead of strengths, so you'll need to have a thorough look-see through them. You can find the details in the proposal rules thread on this forum.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: I'll look into the actual contents later, but on the category issue - since the repealed original passed, there have become new categories available. This sounds like very much something that could be made to fit into "Regulation" category. However, that category has areas of effect, instead of strengths, so you'll need to have a thorough look-see through them. You can find the details in the proposal rules thread on this forum.

OOC: Ah, gotcha, I see that now. Yeah, this is looking a lot like a safety regulation, but I'll take a closer look at the rules thread tomorrow and make sure.
"We have no law but the single principle of mutual aid between individuals"--Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:06 pm

International emergency frequencies should be already in wide use, to the extent possible. Not specifying this was part of why res. 75 was repealed, and you're actively prohibiting it! I'd also suggest dropping the blocker clause.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Linux and the X wrote:International emergency frequencies should be already in wide use, to the extent possible. Not specifying this was part of why res. 75 was repealed, and you're actively prohibiting it! I'd also suggest dropping the blocker clause.

What I meant to say was that the frequencies that WILL be widely used solely for international emergencies in the future shouldn't have been in wide usage BEFORE being monopolized by the World Assembly. I'll address the language to make that a little more clear. Unless you're saying that there are enough unofficial international emergency services that we don't need that clause at all? Or are you saying that it's silly to assume there would be frequencies with so few people currently using them?

OOC: I don't know what you mean by "blocker clause". Which clause is the blocker clause?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:29 am

Lecosia wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:International emergency frequencies should be already in wide use, to the extent possible. Not specifying this was part of why res. 75 was repealed, and you're actively prohibiting it! I'd also suggest dropping the blocker clause.

What I meant to say was that the frequencies that WILL be widely used solely for international emergencies in the future shouldn't have been in wide usage BEFORE being monopolized by the World Assembly. I'll address the language to make that a little more clear. Unless you're saying that there are enough unofficial international emergency services that we don't need that clause at all? Or are you saying that it's silly to assume there would be frequencies with so few people currently using them?

OOC: I don't know what you mean by "blocker clause". Which clause is the blocker clause?

(OOC: Clauses 1 and 5 are the ones that most look like blockers to me, but there isn’t really a blocker clause here. All of the restrictions on future legislation seem narrow and justified, as opposed to curing out broad swathes of possible legislation.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Lecosia wrote:

If you look at the res. 75 repeal, you'll note that not making the IRC consider established emergency frequencies in their selections was considered concerning.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Lecosia wrote:

If you look at the res. 75 repeal, you'll note that not making the IRC consider established emergency frequencies in their selections was considered concerning.

OOC: All I'm seeing in the repeal is a concern with regards to the users who would be bumped off their frequencies in creating the emergency ones, but I'll try to address the things you mentioned as well.

IC: I've revised the clause based on your comments, ambassador, but am wondering if it's too wordy, confusing, or impractical? Tell me what you think of this for a start:

3. Tasks the above commission to set specific frequencies—not previously in wide usage, monopolized with the consent of any previous users, and obtained without infringing upon the quality or airing of previously established emergency frequencies—solely for the purpose of international emergency communications between any nations of the world that wish to use such services,

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:44 am

“What is the intended category and area of effect or strength of this proposal?”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:10 am

Kenmoria wrote:“What is the intended category and area of effect or strength of this proposal?”

"Category: Regulation, Area of Effect: Safety. That is, unless the assembly thinks another category would fit better?"

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:42 pm

"I've edited my current draft based on members' concerns. All feedback is welcome."

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:40 pm

OOC: I'll submit after 48 hours if there are no more critiques.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:41 am

“There should be a comma after the ‘Hereby’.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:55 am

OOC: How does this fit the area of effect?
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:06 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: How does this fit the area of effect?

OOC: I was thinking that the central purpose of the act is to protect the general public from the physical harm that comes from the use of high-powered radio waves. I thought briefly about "Energy", but the act has nothing to do with power generation or consumption.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:38 am

Lecosia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: How does this fit the area of effect?

OOC: I was thinking that the central purpose of the act is to protect the general public from the physical harm that comes from the use of high-powered radio waves. I thought briefly about "Energy", but the act has nothing to do with power generation or consumption.

OOC: I can't remember if this got answered properly: are you trying to ban radio signal weapon use? If yes, then you should put this in Global Disarmament, because that's going to have the biggest impact.

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Lecosia wrote:OOC: I was thinking that the central purpose of the act is to protect the general public from the physical harm that comes from the use of high-powered radio waves. I thought briefly about "Energy", but the act has nothing to do with power generation or consumption.

OOC: I can't remember if this got answered properly: are you trying to ban radio signal weapon use? If yes, then you should put this in Global Disarmament, because that's going to have the biggest impact.

No, if you read over the current text I believe in clause 2 it now allows for weapon use in cases of self-defense and declared times of war.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:33 pm

Lecosia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: I can't remember if this got answered properly: are you trying to ban radio signal weapon use? If yes, then you should put this in Global Disarmament, because that's going to have the biggest impact.

No, if you read over the current text I believe in clause 2 it now allows for weapon use in cases of self-defense and declared times of war.

OOC: Given that it also allows self-defence, it's not exactly protecting general public from it either, so again not very fitting for the AoE. Also, the "unless one of the parties" wording is unclear to who or what it's referring to. Like, is it talking of the manufacturers? :P

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:24 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Lecosia wrote:No, if you read over the current text I believe in clause 2 it now allows for weapon use in cases of self-defense and declared times of war.

OOC: Given that it also allows self-defence, it's not exactly protecting general public from it either, so again not very fitting for the AoE. Also, the "unless one of the parties" wording is unclear to who or what it's referring to. Like, is it talking of the manufacturers? :P

OOC: "Protecting the general public" doesn't always mean enforcing uniform standards without allowing for specific cases. In fact, the description for "safety" regulation specifies keeping only "bystanders" from physical harm, not those involved in conflict. In addition, a good argument can be made that not allowing for self-defense decreases safety by not allowing nations to defend themselves against criminal use of powerful radio waves.

The purpose of the act is to prevent unwittingly dangerous radio signals from harming bystander nations. To me, this seemed like a regulation, because it protects people previously unprotected, specifically protecting the average bystander from unwittingly dangerous radio waves. So I don't really understand how you think that doesn't fit the area of effect, but if you have another suggestion for a category I'll happily consider it.

I've cleaned up the "unless one of the parties" section so that it specifies "members". :P

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Lecosia wrote:a good argument can be made that not allowing for self-defense decreases safety by not allowing nations to defend themselves against criminal use of powerful radio waves.

OOC: If that's your angle, then it should be International Security.

From proposal rules, categories: Regulation: A resolution to enact uniform standards that protect workers, consumers, and the general public. - Safety: Enforce stringent regulations to keep the average bystander from physical harm. It's not a combo that's about weapons or the safety in terms of safe-from-criminals. It's mostly about product safety. Which your proposal is not, with the random foray into weapons tech.

You could fairly easily rewrite it to touch only non-weapon use, basically leaving the high-powered systems for other proposals entirely, exactly because of the weaponization capacity. Limit the scope to consumer goods - radios, TV, telecommunications - and you're going to git the Category-AoE combo much better.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Lecosia wrote:a good argument can be made that not allowing for self-defense decreases safety by not allowing nations to defend themselves against criminal use of powerful radio waves.

OOC: If that's your angle, then it should be International Security.

From proposal rules, categories: Regulation: A resolution to enact uniform standards that protect workers, consumers, and the general public. - Safety: Enforce stringent regulations to keep the average bystander from physical harm. It's not a combo that's about weapons or the safety in terms of safe-from-criminals. It's mostly about product safety. Which your proposal is not, with the random foray into weapons tech.

You could fairly easily rewrite it to touch only non-weapon use, basically leaving the high-powered systems for other proposals entirely, exactly because of the weaponization capacity. Limit the scope to consumer goods - radios, TV, telecommunications - and you're going to git the Category-AoE combo much better.

OOC: It’s okay to put as international security even if I’m not increasing military budgets? (Also, would that be mild since it only pertains to radio signals, or would it be significant?)

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:07 am

Lecosia wrote:OOC: It’s okay to put as international security even if I’m not increasing military budgets? (Also, would that be mild since it only pertains to radio signals, or would it be significant?)

OOC: It all depends on what you're actually trying to DO with the proposal. Which right now isn't entirely clear.

(IS category is about increasing police and military spending, GD about reducing them. If you target only one or the other (police or military), then it's allowed as mild.)

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:00 am

Araraukar wrote:
Lecosia wrote:OOC: It’s okay to put as international security even if I’m not increasing military budgets? (Also, would that be mild since it only pertains to radio signals, or would it be significant?)

OOC: It all depends on what you're actually trying to DO with the proposal. Which right now isn't entirely clear.

(IS category is about increasing police and military spending, GD about reducing them. If you target only one or the other (police or military), then it's allowed as mild.)

OOC: As I feel like I've articulated before, the point of the proposal is to protect bystanders from unintended physical harm related to radio signals, while continuing to allow the use of radio weaponry as it was used before. I'm not trying to increase military or police budgets of any kind, just trying to set regulations on radio signals so that they aren't malfunctioning or operating at dangerous frequencies and power levels. It's like how setting regulations on dangerous firearms domestically doesn't mean you're increasing military or police budgets, and it doesn't mean you disallow the use of firearms during wartime.

I personally think that's pretty clear from the text and I'm not sure why I should spend so much time trying to alter my proposal to better fit into one category or the other. To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure of the purpose of categories--I figured they were just an organizational tool to help put similar proposals in the same place, and in that case, it doesn't matter so much that proposals fit exactly with the categories. We should fit the categories to the proposals, not the other way around.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:30 am

Lecosia wrote:To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure of the purpose of categories--I figured they were just an organizational tool to help put similar proposals in the same place, and in that case, it doesn't matter so much that proposals fit exactly with the categories. We should fit the categories to the proposals, not the other way around.

OOC
Category, and Strength or 'Area of Effect', determine the changes that are applied automatically to all member nation's stats when a resolution passes: The reason why a proposal's contents have to match its specified Category [& etc.] is so that they are appropriate enough to "justify" those particular stat changes.
An experiment to code each resolution's effects individually, so that this factor wouldn't matter, was suggested but fell through due to a shortage of players who [as Issues Editors] had been cleared to know how the coding works, had enough knowledge of the GA's passed resolutions to see how much "new" effect a resolution's 'text actually implies, and had enough time available to guarantee that the coding could be done in the few days between it becoming reasonably certain that a proposal would go to vote and it being passed as a resolution.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Lecosia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lecosia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:10 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Lecosia wrote:To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure of the purpose of categories--I figured they were just an organizational tool to help put similar proposals in the same place, and in that case, it doesn't matter so much that proposals fit exactly with the categories. We should fit the categories to the proposals, not the other way around.

OOC
Category, and Strength or 'Area of Effect', determine the changes that are applied automatically to all member nation's stats when a resolution passes: The reason why a proposal's contents have to match its specified Category [& etc.] is so that they are appropriate enough to "justify" those particular stat changes.
An experiment to code each resolution's effects individually, so that this factor wouldn't matter, was suggested but fell through due to a shortage of players who [as Issues Editors] had been cleared to know how the coding works, had enough knowledge of the GA's passed resolutions to see how much "new" effect a resolution's 'text actually implies, and had enough time available to guarantee that the coding could be done in the few days between it becoming reasonably certain that a proposal would go to vote and it being passed as a resolution.

Okay, now I understand a bit more. But still, the short line of legislation on wartime and self-defense exemptions shouldn't affect stats too much--people are already using radio waves in this way. The only way people's lives will be altered is that radio devices will be regulated to prevent unforeseen damage to bystanders.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly