NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] International Radio Act (take 2)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] International Radio Act (take 2)

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:56 am

Since this was repealed with the intention "to pursue more refined legislation" a while ago, and doesn't seem to have been replaced, I've made some edits to res. 75 to address the concerns brought up in its repeal.

CATEGORY: Free Trade
STRENGTH: Mild

RECOGNISING that radio signals cannot be made to respect national boundaries,

BELIEVING that international legislation is needed to ensure that radio systems will not cause international interference,

REALISING that standardisation of radio devices will promote international trade of the same, and

DISAPPOINTED that this area of international law has long gone neglected, despite this Assembly's stated intentions,

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY

ALLOWS unrestricted use of any radio power and frequency as necessary for the immediate protection of life or property in situations in which normal forms of communication are unavailable or ineffective, with the understanding that transmissions that by their nature cause harm to life or property cannot protect those things,

ALLOWS unlicensed use of low-power radio devices, so long as such use does not interfere with other uses, but allows such devices to be subject to inspection at the point of manufacture by the jurisdiction's regulatory agency,

REQUIRES that radio services include amateur, broadcast, experimental, personal communications, life and safety communications, radiolocation, governmental and military communications, and, in jurisdictions in which such services would be useful, business communications, aerocraft communications, spacecraft communications, and watercraft communications,

ESTABLISHES the International Radiocommunications Commission to set more detailed standards, including specific services and frequency allocations (including specific frequencies for emergency calls), with particular direction to incorporate pre-existing arrangements within those standards,

FORBIDS the International Radiocommunications Commission from setting content standards, or station ownership standards beyond those clearly implied by the intended purpose of a service,

CLARIFIES that the standards set by the International Radiocommunications Commission must be followed by all member nations, but

PERMITS nations to create additional radio services in portions of the spectrum not used under International Radiocommunications Commission standards.
Last edited by Linux and the X on Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:01 am

“This looks very good. You are missing a comma at the end of your ‘establishes’ clause, but that is the only criticism I can make.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:03 am

Kenmoria wrote:“This looks very good. You are missing a comma at the end of your ‘establishes’ clause, but that is the only criticism I can make.”

Fixed.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:24 am

OOC post.

Linux and the X wrote:ALLOWS unrestricted use of any radio power and frequency as necessary for the immediate protection of life or property in situations in which normal forms of communication are unavailable or ineffective, with the understanding that transmissions that by their nature cause harm to life or property cannot protect those things,

Why? I mean, what's the idea behind the unrestrictedness in the first place? Also I don't think that far-FT nations should be allowed to fry ecospheres of inhabited planets for any excuse...

ALLOWS unlicensed use of low-power radio devices, so long as such use does not interfere with other uses, but allows such devices to be subject to inspection at the point of manufacture by the jurisdiction's regulatory agency,

Vagueness upon vagueness. Again, what's the point of this?

REQUIRES that radio services include amateur, broadcast, experimental, personal communications, life and safety communications, radiolocation, governmental and military communications, and, in jurisdictions in which such services would be useful, business communications, aerocraft communications, spacecraft communications, and watercraft communications,

...what? Is this supposed to be a definition?

ESTABLISHES the International Radiocommunications Commission to set more detailed standards, including specific services and frequency allocations (including specific frequencies for emergency calls), with particular direction to incorporate pre-existing arrangements within those standards,

What "specific services"? Emergency call channel does sound like a good idea, as does repurposing existing systems, but is this meant to be national or international? Because most nations have their own internal frequency for such, and there's usually a separate international one for air traffic and another for water traffic. I don't think internal ones should be mandated by a committee, if they're already in use and working fine. Also what happens if the committee designates a channel that's in use for something else by the neighbouring non-WA nation?

FORBIDS the International Radiocommunications Commission from setting content standards, or station ownership standards beyond those clearly implied by the intended purpose of a service,

Ah, these mystical specific services. Vagueness continues. Also, why should a committee have any say on how channels are assigned inside a nation, outside of the international emergency channels?

CLARIFIES that the standards set by the International Radiocommunications Commission must be followed by all member nations, but

This is like saying water is wet. Unnecessary.

PERMITS nations to create additional radio services in spectrum not used under International Radiocommunications Commission standards.

And what would these "additional radio services" be?

This may have made sense once upon a time, but it no longer does, so you'll need to sort out your definition (if it's meant to be one, or reword it if it's not), justify the use of the committee on purely internal stuff (or better yet, exclude purely internal stuff from the committee's doing), and fix the vagueness. This manages to be micromanagement and completely vague at the same time.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:32 am

IC: “After a first read through, I like it. Sufficiently clear enough to allow basic guidelines to be established without micromanaging.”
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:54 am

I agree with GH.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:15 am

As this is just making small changes to a previously-adopted resolution, I expect the drafting period will be brief.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:59 am

(OOC: In your final clause, should ‘spectrum’ be ‘spectrums’ or ‘spectra’?)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: In your final clause, should ‘spectrum’ be ‘spectrums’ or ‘spectra’?)

No, but I can see why it might bother people. I've amended the language to read better.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:56 am

I intend to submit this within forty-eight hours.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:01 am

OOC: On mobile device, so no detailed response yet.

Have you completely ignored my feedback simply because I do not agree with you?
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:02 pm

OOC: Sorry, I had hoped to submit this before having limited internet for a week, but clearly that didn't work out.

Araraukar wrote:OOC: On mobile device, so no detailed response yet.

Have you completely ignored my feedback simply because I do not agree with you?

Your feedback has been noted. We disagree on the points about vagueness and micromanagement (which seems to be a matter of legislative philosophy that there's not much to argue about), but you do present a few questions we can answer.

...what? Is this supposed to be a definition?

It's a basic list of radio services that should be (the applicability restriction aside) universally available.

What "specific services"?

Probably none; the purpose of that is to give the IRC authority to establish radio services outside the basic list as necessary. (Similarly for the "additional services" of the final clause, since you also asked about those.)
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:18 am

OOC: Since you're answering questions finally, please answer this:
Araraukar wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:ALLOWS unrestricted use of any radio power and frequency as necessary for the immediate protection of life or property in situations in which normal forms of communication are unavailable or ineffective, with the understanding that transmissions that by their nature cause harm to life or property cannot protect those things,

Why? I mean, what's the idea behind the unrestrictedness in the first place?

And the requires clause still doesn't actually do anything.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:33 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Why? I mean, what's the idea behind the unrestrictedness in the first place?

Because rules shouldn't stop people from using the last available option in an emergency.

And the requires clause still doesn't actually do anything.

It requires a basic set of services.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:04 am

Linux and the X wrote:
Araraukar wrote:And the requires clause still doesn't actually do anything.

It requires a basic set of services.

OOC: No it doesn't, as written. I actually had to debate with myself on whether to let nonsense pass just to avoid having to do anything, but vague crap shouldn't get a pass even if I preferred a resolution not to do its thing.

Right now the language equals me writing a proposal where I required shirt colours to include blue, green and red, without requiring shirts of those colours to be made available, or even shirts in general to be made available.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly