NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Mandatory Science Curricula

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:07 am

Kaschovia wrote:"On another note, what do you think about the amendments I have made?"

“I have noticed that ‘public schools’ is never used by itself, so you don’t need to define it. Where you say ‘public and private schools’, you could simply say ‘schools’.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Founded: Apr 09, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Kaschovia » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:11 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Kaschovia wrote:"On another note, what do you think about the amendments I have made?"

“I have noticed that ‘public schools’ is never used by itself, so you don’t need to define it. Where you say ‘public and private schools’, you could simply say ‘schools’.”

"Noted and fixed. Thank you."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:52 pm

Kaschovia wrote:OOC: So we've both got contrasting examples for RL countries and their academic systems

OOC: They're not contrasting, just different. Peoples and societies are different, in case you didn't know. :P

but the core of the proposal is simply to ensure that students between the stages of preschool and higher education are affected.

But like our two examples (and there are others, even before you go into fictional realities) show, what one counts as "higher education", is different.

I don't want to insult your intelligence because I know you understand these concepts

Then I shall refrain from the usual joke to put here, that involves the very low (from my POV) age that people go to school in the UK... ;)

but for the sake of the proposal, preschool meaning before you begin wider study of English languages, Maths, Science, Humanities, etc... (< 4 7 years of age)

Fixed it for you.

An example of higher education being college, sixth form (UK), or, as you put it, secondary education (Finland).

...secondary education isn't "higher education", the way the words get translated. Korkeakoulutus (literally "higheducation") is what you get from attending a university or polytechnic. But secondary education isn't mandatory either (unless you want a job, more or less), so it's not primary education. It falls between what you'd consider "basic" and "higher", pretty much. Three stage education, instead of two stage. (It gets further muddled if you combine the vocational and academic tracks, as is possible, of the secondary, but not getting into that right now...)

This is why there are only a couple of actually school-related resolutions, because to go beyond basic education means easily getting lost in the maze.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Kaschovia » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Kaschovia wrote:OOC: So we've both got contrasting examples for RL countries and their academic systems

OOC: They're not contrasting, just different. Peoples and societies are different, in case you didn't know. :P

but the core of the proposal is simply to ensure that students between the stages of preschool and higher education are affected.

But like our two examples (and there are others, even before you go into fictional realities) show, what one counts as "higher education", is different.

I don't want to insult your intelligence because I know you understand these concepts

Then I shall refrain from the usual joke to put here, that involves the very low (from my POV) age that people go to school in the UK... ;)

but for the sake of the proposal, preschool meaning before you begin wider study of English languages, Maths, Science, Humanities, etc... (< 4 7 years of age)

Fixed it for you.

An example of higher education being college, sixth form (UK), or, as you put it, secondary education (Finland).

...secondary education isn't "higher education", the way the words get translated. Korkeakoulutus (literally "higheducation") is what you get from attending a university or polytechnic. But secondary education isn't mandatory either (unless you want a job, more or less), so it's not primary education. It falls between what you'd consider "basic" and "higher", pretty much. Three stage education, instead of two stage. (It gets further muddled if you combine the vocational and academic tracks, as is possible, of the secondary, but not getting into that right now...)

This is why there are only a couple of actually school-related resolutions, because to go beyond basic education means easily getting lost in the maze.

[1] Sure.

[2] 'Higher education' is actually defined in GA 159, Promotion of Intl Education, as 'institutes providing post-secondary education that leads to the granting of an academic degree such as, but not limited to, colleges, universities, research institutes, or military academies; OR providing education that leads to the granting of a professional license or rating such as, but not limited to, medical schools or technical-trade schools.'

[3] I'm curious now, as I go to school in the UK :eyebrow:

[4] Thanks, I'll edit that.

[5] Yeah, thanks for clearing that up.

Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Kaschovia » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:06 am

"I've amended the resolution so that it clearly defines preschool and affirms the definition for higher education. I've also specified that the courses must be long and comprehensive enough to adequately prepare students for higher education courses."

Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Kaschovia » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:12 am

Recent Edits
  • Better defined science in the context of the peer-review process,
  • cleared up the definition of preschool,
  • improved (imo) the final clause in terms of wording,
  • established a funding component, as a safety net for nations who can't fund the mandates of the resolution, in consistency with educational funding in previous legislation (usage of GAO)

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:55 am

Bumping this, due to its relevance with the current GA vote.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly