NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Convention on Animal Testing

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:"The problem with your first concern is that I can't find a way to exclude only small animals and such, exclusions based on a vertebrae also don't work. As to your second concern that has been fixed."

OOC
Restrict this to animals that are 'sentient': A reasonable interpretation of that term would cover Vertebrates and Cephalopods (which are the groups specifically protected under RL UK law...),, and maybe some others, but would probably exclude "fruit flies, plankton and worms".

Now, what about sentient plants or fungi? :p

Maybe make it about 'Sentient Life-forms', rather than 'Animals'?

(OOC: ‘Convention on Sentient Life-form Testing’ isn’t the catchiest title. I think this proposal works fine as just covering animals, since plants and fungi are completely separate beings. That said, I agree with your other points.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:05 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:"The problem with your first concern is that I can't find a way to exclude only small animals and such, exclusions based on a vertebrae also don't work. As to your second concern that has been fixed."

OOC
Restrict this to animals that are 'sentient': A reasonable interpretation of that term would cover Vertebrates and Cephalopods (which are the groups specifically protected under RL UK law...),, and maybe some others, but would probably exclude "fruit flies, plankton and worms".

Now, what about sentient plants or fungi? :p

Maybe make it about 'Sentient Life-forms', rather than 'Animals'?

OOC: That means we've already got it covered
Defines...
...A "test animal" as a sentient but not sapient animal...
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:48 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:The animal is given to a legal entity capable of taking care of it for the rest of its lifespan; if it is expected to live for over a year after its adoption

Would this mean that an animal with an expected remaining lifespan under a year would not qualify for adoption?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:The animal is given to a legal entity capable of taking care of it for the rest of its lifespan; if it is expected to live for over a year after its adoption

Would this mean that an animal with an expected remaining lifespan under a year would not qualify for adoption?

OOC: Yes, as it would be impractical.

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Would this mean that an animal with an expected remaining lifespan under a year would not qualify for adoption?

OOC: Yes, as it would be impractical.

The WA should not be dictating to experimenters that their rehoming plans for animal subjects are impractical.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: Yes, as it would be impractical.

The WA should not be dictating to experimenters that their rehoming plans for animal subjects are impractical.

OOC: Exception =/= mandate

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:44 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:The WA should not be dictating to experimenters that their rehoming plans for animal subjects are impractical.

OOC: Exception =/= mandate

I would suggest adding clarifying language, then.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:47 am

OOC: 5.b. seems to be missing something before the word "or".
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:17 am

Forgive us, Ambassador, but we would like to bring a point that may need addressing. It seems to us that there my be a potential contradiction with GA 425, Protection[sic] of of Biomedical Research. Specifically the mandates:

That Member-States place no restrictions on biomedical research beyond those that are necessary to ensure that research efforts meet ethical and scientific standards,

and

That Member-States rescind any and all biomedical research ethics standards and regulations that do not serve specifically to minimize or eliminate direct or indirect harm to life provably sentient or sapient at the time of research, [...]

It seems to us the thrust of this resolution is the enactment of ethics standards and regulation that seek to minimize harm to life, and the resolution explicitly declares that it applies to "sentient but not sapient" life, which would place such ethics guidelines flatly in conflict with the the aforementioned GA 425.

OOC: Explicitly, it seems Tinfects rushed monstrosity more or less prohibits us from establishing ANY ethics standards in regards to basically anything that is not human or equivalent thereto under WA law.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:55 am

OOC: Resolution: "All future guidelines must be for establishing ethical standards."

Proposal: "Establishes guidelines for ethical standards."

I don't really see the problem. Unless I misunderstood your point about it.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:17 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Resolution: "All future guidelines must be for establishing ethical standards."

The problem is the second part which limits those standards to solely those designed to protect provably sentient AND sapient life. The animals covered by this resolution are, by the resolution's definition not sapient. Therefore there can be no ethical standards set for their treatment.

Again:

Member-States rescind any and all biomedical research ethics standards and regulations that do not serve specifically to minimize or eliminate direct or indirect harm to life provably sentient or sapient at the time of research

I suppose the resolution could limit itself to research that is not bio-medical, but that seems rather...well, not useful?
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
National Sovereigntist
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:24 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Resolution: "All future guidelines must be for establishing ethical standards."

The problem is the second part which limits those standards to solely those designed to protect provably sentient AND sapient life.

The conjunction used in res. 425 is 'or', not 'and'.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:32 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:I suppose the resolution could limit itself to research that is not bio-medical, but that seems rather...well, not useful?

OOC: The other point being covered with Linux's post, but non-biomedical animal testing includes most cosmetics (and similar non-medication chemical) testing as well as behavioural testing, so I wouldn't say even such a restriction made the proposal useless.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:34 am

Linux and the X wrote:
The problem is the second part which limits those standards to solely those designed to protect provably sentient AND sapient life.

The conjunction used in res. 425 is 'or', not 'and'.

Thank you. I, in fact, misread the conjunction. In that instance, carry on.
National Sovereigntist

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:36 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: 5.b. seems to be missing something before the word "or".

OOC: Added a comma

Linux and the X wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: Exception =/= mandate

I would suggest adding clarifying language, then.

Done.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:58 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: 5.b. seems to be missing something before the word "or".

OOC: Added a comma

OOC: There's an additional issue that I didn't feel like typing out on mobile device:

The animal is given to a legal entity capable of taking care of it for the rest of its lifespan; if it is expected to live for over a year after its adoption, and is generally healthy and of good disposition; after a reasonable effort has been made to look for one; if the animal is unable to survive without help, or is of a species commonly kept as pet or livestock;

That seems out of place. I think there was something about putting them down that got moved or removed, and that was left behind.

Additionally, the whole adoption (or release) thing doesn't seem to account for animals that are carriers of deadly diseases while not suffering from them themselves. For example we know that in RL bats are carriers of all kinds of deadly viruses like rabies and ebola, and marmots are the reservoir animal for Yersinia pestis (bubonic plague). Such animals should be destroyed after testing is done, rather than adopted out, because of the danger they have as natural carriers despite the animal's own health or disposition. 5.a. has the exception for posting a danger to the environment (even though that's very vague), so why doesn't 5.b. have anything?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:02 am

“With 5b, it would make more sense to just have ‘into; or’ rather than ‘into, or;’ as the former is both the convention and far simpler.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:00 am

"Any more feedback? I will start to look into submission in the following weeks."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:38 am

OOC: 5b still has the unconnected sentence embryo in the middle and lacks any mention of the animal being a danger to its environment for reasons other than its disposition, such as being a carrier of a deadly disease.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:45 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: 5b still has the unconnected sentence embryo in the middle and lacks any mention of the animal being a danger to its environment for reasons other than its disposition, such as being a carrier of a deadly disease.

OOC: Fixed the disease part, not sure what youre talking about when you mention unconnected sentences?

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:49 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: 5b still has the unconnected sentence embryo in the middle and lacks any mention of the animal being a danger to its environment for reasons other than its disposition, such as being a carrier of a deadly disease.

OOC: Fixed the disease part, not sure what youre talking about when you mention unconnected sentences?

The animal is given to a legal entity capable of taking care of it for the rest of its lifespan; if it is expected to live for over a year after its adoption, and is healthy, not sick, and of good disposition; after a reasonable effort has been made to look for one; if the animal is unable to survive without help, or is of a species commonly kept as pet or livestock;

The bolded portion is what I believe is being referred to. Within the clause it makes no sense, and is grammatically incomplete.
National Sovereigntist

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:20 am

Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: Fixed the disease part, not sure what youre talking about when you mention unconnected sentences?

The animal is given to a legal entity capable of taking care of it for the rest of its lifespan; if it is expected to live for over a year after its adoption, and is healthy, not sick, and of good disposition; after a reasonable effort has been made to look for one; if the animal is unable to survive without help, or is of a species commonly kept as pet or livestock;

The bolded portion is what I believe is being referred to. Within the clause it makes no sense, and is grammatically incomplete.

OOC: Its supposed to go
The animal is given to a legal entity capable of taking care of it for the rest of its lifespan...after a reasonable effort has been made to look for one.

Not sure how to make it flow better.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:22 am

Require the organisation to look for this new owner. Then if it finds an acceptable one, transfer the property. Statute style is your friend.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Maowi
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:25 am

I would replace the first semicolon with a colon and put either an and or an or, depending on the intended meaning, after '...look for one:'
THE SUPINE SOCIALIST SLOTHLAND OF MAOWI

hi!LETHARGY ⭐️ LANGUOR ⭐️ LAZINESShi!

Home | Guide for Visitors | Religion | Fashion

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:59 am

Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: Its supposed to go
The animal is given to a legal entity capable of taking care of it for the rest of its lifespan...after a reasonable effort has been made to look for one.

Not sure how to make it flow better.

OOC: I think the problem stems from the main clause 5: "Requires that when a research facility is finished using an animal in its experiment". Right now the ONLY choices available, are release into wild or adoption. You can't put the animal down. It's not an option AT ALL. As such the "after reasonable effort has been made to look for one" doesn't make any sense, because there's no choice given for what happens if the reasonable effort fails to find someone suitable, and the animal can't be released in the wild.

Presuming you didn't intend to remove the humane euthanisation choice, 5.b. could be restructured as "If the animal is unable to survive without help or is of a species commonly kept as a pet or livestock; is healthy and has a good disposition; does not pose a danger to its environment; and is expected to live for over a year after its adoption, the animal can be given to a legal entity capable of taking care of it for the rest of its lifespan;". Then you can add 5.c. with "if neither of the above options works after reasonable efforts to find a suitable caregiver have been made, the animal may be humanely euthanized".

5.b. could, for clarity's sake, also be restructured as:
if the animal is
  1. unable to survive without help
  2. healthy and of good disposition
  3. not dangerous to its environment (alternatively "not dangerous to its caretakers" but that's more restrictive)
  4. of a species commonly kept as a pet or livestock, and
  5. expected to live for over a year after its adoption,
the animal can be given to a legal entity capable of taking care of it for the rest of its lifespan;

Then adding the same 5.c. will remove the insanity of having to choose from the two options.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives