NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Angel of Charity
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 18, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Angel of Charity » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:18 am

I have to say I oppose this resolution, because I believe minors should be germ free, whether they like it or not.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:29 am

The Angel of Charity wrote:I have to say I oppose this resolution, because I believe minors should be germ free, whether they like it or not.

OOC: Holy shit I just realised there is no way to distinguish between the two in this proposal. I need to write up a repeal immediately.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:32 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
The Angel of Charity wrote:I have to say I oppose this resolution, because I believe minors should be germ free, whether they like it or not.

OOC: Holy shit I just realised there is no way to distinguish between the two in this proposal. I need to write up a repeal immediately.

And this is why we don't write vague proposals!
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:35 am

Alas, the death of classic civil liberties: the systematic removal of all bacteria from a minor.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:45 am

> Sterilization is distinct from disinfection, sanitization, and pasteurization, in that those methods reduce rather than eliminate all forms of life and biological agents present. After sterilization, an object is referred to as being sterile or aseptic.

I'd imagine a board would take a dim view of killing the patient. However that is,

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:10 am

(OOC: If your government wants to interpret the legislation in that way, then your state must have some very strange priorities. That is technically in compliance, but is in no way good-faith.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:22 am

Kenmoria wrote:

(OOC: If your government wants to interpret the legislation in that way, then your state must have some very strange priorities. That is technically in compliance, but is in no way good-faith.)

OOC: IRBs arent required to comply in good faith.

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:25 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: If your government wants to interpret the legislation in that way, then your state must have some very strange priorities. That is technically in compliance, but is in no way good-faith.)

OOC: IRBs arent required to comply in good faith.

(OOC: I was talking more about OOC good-faith than any IC organisation. However, I do question what kind of independent board would follow Angel of Charity’s interpretation.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:27 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: IRBs arent required to comply in good faith.

(OOC: I was talking more about OOC good-faith than any IC organisation. However, I do question what kind of independent board would follow Angel of Charity’s interpretation.)

OOC: Independent can be anything a member-state declares independent.

The Angel of Charity
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 18, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Angel of Charity » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:45 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: I was talking more about OOC good-faith than any IC organisation. However, I do question what kind of independent board would follow Angel of Charity’s interpretation.)

OOC: Independent can be anything a member-state declares independent.

My independent boards are independent of reason or logic, I wouldn't trust them with ensuring minors stay clean.

Pharexia
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Pharexia

Postby Pharexia » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:25 pm

The Pharexian delegation raises concerns with the usage of "etc" in a title, as it creates an inappropriate degree of ambiguity. We also believe that forced sterilisation of a child is prohibited under the pre-existing prevention of child abuse law. We will therefore be voting against this proposal.
Nation of Pharexia
Fårarna Nation
Unitary multi-party parliamentary republic with significant elements of direct democracy

Current WA delegate: Laugi Stefansson of the Conservative People's Party .... (Konservativa folkpartiet)

Sodoran Alesia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sodoran Alesia » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:> Sterilization is distinct from disinfection, sanitization, and pasteurization, in that those methods reduce rather than eliminate all forms of life and biological agents present. After sterilization, an object is referred to as being sterile or aseptic.

I'd imagine a board would take a dim view of killing the patient. However that is,

(Image)

This proposal is too vague man, sterilization needs to be defined. Also incompetent person needs to be defined as well. Like what does that mean? I know you probably mean a person who can't make that decision for themselves because of mental illness or something, but still, every time I see it, I keep on thinking of a guy who sucks at his job!

Also, how exactly will the WACC ensure the IRBs are independent? And given the lack of a definition for incompetent person, what's to stop a corrupt IRB in a country from using their own definition and sterilizing ethnic groups? Will there be a WA organization set up to review and ensure the IRBs are indeed independent and compliant?

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:59 pm

This proposal is not useless, nor does it achieve what it is supposed to. Rather, it is worse than useless.

The only restriction placed on these IRBs is that they are independent, mandating no restriction on composition, no provision for the minor or their advocate to be present, no compulsion that the board act with the best interests of the minor in mind. This act enables those who wish to engage in this vile practise and does absolutely nothing to stop them; by forcing these people to act through WA-mandated boards, it offers them a veneer of respectability. This veneer I must stress will only last as long as the WA maintains a good reputation for justice and enforcement of human rights; which, if proposals such as this are allowed to become law I believe it will soon lose.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:47 am

Sodoran Alesia wrote:Also incompetent person needs to be defined as well. Like what does that mean? I know you probably mean a person who can't make that decision for themselves because of mental illness or something, but still, every time I see it, I keep on thinking of a guy who sucks at his job!

Also, how exactly will the WACC ensure the IRBs are independent? And given the lack of a definition for incompetent person, what's to stop a corrupt IRB in a country from using their own definition and sterilizing ethnic groups?

GA Resolution #299, 'Legal Competence'.

GA Resolution #38, 'Convention on Genocide', clause 2..
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:30 am

Pharexia wrote:The Pharexian delegation raises concerns with the usage of "etc" in a title, as it creates an inappropriate degree of ambiguity. We also believe that forced sterilisation of a child is prohibited under the pre-existing prevention of child abuse law. We will therefore be voting against this proposal.

“Titles can be safely ignored, ambassador, as it is only the actual content that has an effect.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Sodoran Alesia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sodoran Alesia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:10 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Sodoran Alesia wrote:Also incompetent person needs to be defined as well. Like what does that mean? I know you probably mean a person who can't make that decision for themselves because of mental illness or something, but still, every time I see it, I keep on thinking of a guy who sucks at his job!

Also, how exactly will the WACC ensure the IRBs are independent? And given the lack of a definition for incompetent person, what's to stop a corrupt IRB in a country from using their own definition and sterilizing ethnic groups?

GA Resolution #299, 'Legal Competence'.

GA Resolution #38, 'Convention on Genocide', clause 2..

I'm an idiot, I should have done my research before making such brazen statements. I apologize. Still, there is a lot of potential corruption with these IRBs, this resolution has no teeth to enforce independence or even make sure the IRBs are composed of medical professionals. There is too much ambiguity in this proposal to the point of enabling member nations to sterilize people rather than banning and regulating it on a case by case basis in terms of long term health.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:14 am

Sodoran Alesia wrote:

I'm an idiot, I should have done my research before making such brazen statements. I apologize. Still, there is a lot of potential corruption with these IRBs, this resolution has no teeth to enforce independence or even make sure the IRBs are composed of medical professionals. There is too much ambiguity in this proposal to the point of enabling member nations to sterilize people rather than banning and regulating it on a case by case basis in terms of long term health.

(OOC: Insofar as compliance on the member nations’ part is concerned, there is the Administrative Compliance Act. Therefore, if the member nations are knowingly breaking the rules by having an IRB which does not fit the specified criteria, they will be given the according punishments.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:00 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:About 'etc' and how it's never appeared in any law and how it's use is to unprofessional and how it's shocking for people to use Latin abbreviations when Germanic ones will do, see http://legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/38/contents.

In fact, it's so shocking, http://legislation.gov.uk/ukpga?title=etc, since the start of the digital age, we have published 36 acts with it. Given that the site started in 1988, that's over one a year! The UK Parliament is defamed by such activity!

We thank you for the citations, especially when referencing the legislative framework on which Archivian law was historically derived. However, we stand by our dislike for the term beinhg used in this context.

We acknowledge that the word "etc" is often used in legal documentation is many jurisdictions, but note also that in these circumstances are usually accompanied by a separate document defining what "etc" means within that specific context. Specifically, in the legislatures you mention where acts have "etc" in the title, there is always a formally recorded full title.

For example, in the UK parliament legislation Health and safety at work etc Act, 1974 there exists separate clarification to indicate that this is an abbreviated form of Health, safety and welfare in connection with work, and control of dangerous substances and certain emissions into the atmosphere.

Noting that other legislations have used "etc" in titles in an entirely proper way does not excuse using it here in an improper way, where the undefined term "etc" serves only to produce legal ambiguity in the nature of this resolution.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Aplan
Attaché

Founded: Dec 16, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aplan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:25 pm

I am against this resolution.
There is absolutely no need to include some bureaucratic assembly in these events. Sterilizing someone for the sake of health, competence, etc, is something that should be determined on a case-to-case basis by independent governments only. It should be adjudicated, overseen and performed by local law enforcement and medical authorities in each individual nation, by each individual case, alone.
Don't you love signatures that are longer than the nation's shitty two-sentence post?

Plaskagar Tusdeta
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Plaskagar Tusdeta » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Voting is nearly over with an overwhelming for vote; Plaskagar is withdrawing in protest before this actually goes into effect.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc was passed 10,312 votes to 3,139.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives