NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:53 pm

I also don't think regions ought be considered metagaming.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I also don't think regions ought be considered metagaming.

You seem to have a very liberal interpretation of the rules. Perhaps instead of try to be cocky and see exactly what you can get away with, try following the rules as layed out instead? Trying to pass a two line blocker that is rife with metagaming and duplication issues isn't cute, and it isn't funny.

Edit: Further to that. Under your interpretation, I should be able to pass a resolution to force regions to uphold the terms of treaties and alliances then have made in good faith? That includes forcing regions to engage in game play, if they have a treaty that says they will.

Where exactly should the line be drawn?
Last edited by WayNeacTia on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Wayneactia wrote:You seem to have a very liberal interpretation of the rules. Perhaps instead of try to be cocky and see exactly what you can get away with, try following the rules as layed out instead? Trying to pass a two line blocker that is rife with metagaming and duplication issues isn't cute, and it isn't funny.

Edit: Further to that. Under your interpretation, I should be able to pass a resolution to force regions to uphold the terms of treaties and alliances then have made in good faith? That includes forcing regions to engage in game play, if they have a treaty that says they will.

Where exactly should the line be drawn?

You seem to have a very reactionary "interpretation" of the rules as they used to be many years ago. Perhaps instead of try[ing] to enforce that conception of the rules on an Assembly which no longer views the rules in that manner and harm the expression of players in the game, try reading the ruleset as laid out in 2019 instead?* Trying to pass minimalist legislation which is directly targeted towards the issue at hand is the kind of legislation which we should be advocating for, and it is the best hope for engagement in this part of the game.

* I also hold the view that metagaming ought be renamed or scrapped, but that's perhaps a bit more radical than some in the Assembly may want to go for. However that is, neither regions nor delegates are mentioned in the ruleset. What is mentioned is attempting to force actions in the Security Council, which I think should instead of be categorised in game mechanics.

Re edit. Under the metagaming rule, doing so is fine. However, to enforce laws on regional organisations that exist outside of the World Assembly would violate game mechanics. Forcing regions to engage in gameplay would similarly fall under game mechanics, whether or not they have a treaty or not. If you think that's wrong, please advance a coherent conception of metagaming. I view it as perspective.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Metagaming = Breaking the fourth wall. Regions do not exist in the world, countries do. Feel free to bring up the E.U. though as I know that is your comeback.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:19 pm

Define the fourth wall.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:31 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Define the fourth wall.

The clearly established in-character nature of the General Assembly. Regions and delegates do not exist in character, because they are a fundamental game mechanic.

Every nation is forced to be in a region. Also recognizing both regions and delegates is to recognize the endorsement system. The W.A. is modeled somewhat after the U.N. Madagascar for instance does not need the endorsement of two African nations, let alone two nations period to submit a resolution to the General Assembly. In NationStates you need two endorsements from region mates.

wait

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Yea, so I don't see any of that that can't be rationalised in an in-character manner.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Yea, so I don't see any of that that can't be rationalised in an in-character manner.

Rationalize a fundamental game mechanic in an in-character manner? Fris tied with Rights and Duties and look what we ended up with. Please explain in detail how you reference regions and the delegates of said regions in an in-character manner.

wait

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:31 pm

Wayneactia wrote:I have far better things to do with my time, than bash my head off of an impervious brick wall thanks. You guys have it in your power to fix things yourselves. Whether you choose to do it or not is up to you.

Cool. Then we never need to get into the issue of whether GenSec is the worst thing ever or remotely redeemable ever again.

The rest of this discussion about Metagaming belongs in a Metagaming Rule discussion thread or in Technical, but not in a draft.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:41 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
The rest of this discussion about Metagaming belongs in a Metagaming Rule discussion thread or in Technical, but not in a draft.

Fine then. Is mentioning delegates in any way shape of form metagaming or not? It is relevant to the legality of this draft.

And I.A. I do apologize for jacking the thread here. It wasn't my intention to turn your drafting thread into a full blown conversation about metagaming.
Last edited by WayNeacTia on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wait

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:47 pm

Wayneactia wrote:

Fine then. Is mentioning delegates in any way shape of form metagaming or not? It is relevant to the legality of this draft.

And I.A. I do apologize for jacking the thread here. It wasn't my intention to turn your drafting thread into a full blown conversation about metagaming.

Not per our precedent. It depends on context. Which was already pointed out. Twice. Thrice, now.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Wayneactia wrote:Is mentioning delegates in any way shape of form metagaming or not? It is relevant to the legality of this draft.

To address this, the current GenSec consensus is that mentioning delegates is fine if it can be interpreted as referring to delegates as in the context "delegates to the United Nations today voted on..."

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:Is mentioning delegates in any way shape of form metagaming or not? It is relevant to the legality of this draft.

To address this, the current GenSec consensus is that mentioning delegates is fine if it can be interpreted as referring to delegates as in the context "delegates to the United Nations today voted on..."

I can accept that. So why was it applied selectively then?
Last edited by WayNeacTia on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wait

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:To address this, the current GenSec consensus is that mentioning delegates is fine if it can be interpreted as referring to delegates as in the context "delegates to the United Nations today voted on..."

Because Bananaistan was wrong
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:To address this, the current GenSec consensus is that mentioning delegates is fine if it can be interpreted as referring to delegates as in the context "delegates to the United Nations today voted on..."

It wasn't.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:47 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:

It wasn't.

Sigh. Once again, can someone point out to me where the fucking word "bicameral" was used in that proposal? I noted Banana stated they marked it illegal at "Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:58 am", yet the OP was lasted edited at "Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:34 pm". Did it sit in he queue for 20 hours before it was dinged, or is it just supposition that "bicameral" was inferred? I have tried to check myself but The Wayback Machine doesn't have it archived.

If it was there and was edited out afterwards, that is fine and I am fully willing to drop any objections I have.

Edit: viewtopic.php?p=36219604#p36219604

IA was able to provide me the information I needed. We can take this debate over to that thread, or a mod can split the conversation out of this one.
Last edited by WayNeacTia on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

wait

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:53 am

“Category and strength?”
Wayneactia wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
It wasn't.

Sigh. Once again, can someone point out to me where the fucking word "bicameral" was used in that proposal? I noted Banana stated they marked it illegal at "Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:58 am", yet the OP was lasted edited at "Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:34 pm". Did it sit in he queue for 20 hours before it was dinged, or is it just supposition that "bicameral" was inferred? I have tried to check myself but The Wayback Machine doesn't have it archived.

If it was there and was edited out afterwards, that is fine and I am fully willing to drop any objections I have.

(OOC: As far as I recall, the original proposal did have ‘the bicameral nature of the World Assembly’ in it directly, but was later edited. Either way, this proposal is clearly legal, at least from the perspective of Gensec.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:08 am

"As for this proposal, I have very few objections on the matter. A good solid blocker. I support"

Wayne

wait

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:07 am

OOC: Contradicts PRA as long as sterilization counts as a medical procedure (and all existing RL methods to do so, do count). Technically giving meds to achieve the same effect likely wouldn't, so you could make a resolution about that if you wanted. Implanting a hormone release system into a person, again, does count, at least in RL.

And to borrow from the At Vote thread:
Bananaistan wrote:"Patients' Rights Act only extends to lawful medical procedures."

Keywords "in that nation". Basically talking about national laws. Unless you accept what IA calls magical compliance and that member nations' laws do actually get changed upon the passing of resolutions, rather than the nation's own legislation needing to go through the process of changing them, which can take (many) years.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:54 am

Araraukar wrote:Unless you accept what IA calls magical compliance and that member nations' laws do actually get changed upon the passing of resolutions, rather than the nation's own legislation needing to go through the process of changing them, which can take (many) years.

It's not "magical compliance", it's the way the game works. The resolution passes, and if you are member nation, your stats change. Henceforth you are in compliance. Is it really that hard to comprehend this?

wait

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:04 am

Wayneactia wrote:It's not "magical compliance", it's the way the game works. The resolution passes, and if you are member nation, your stats change. Henceforth you are in compliance. Is it really that hard to comprehend this?

OOC: That's what I keep saying!!!!!! But IA & co. argue that that's not how it works, and have created an IC method for a nation to be noncompliant via a resolution or two.

Which actually reminds me that if a nation is noncompliant, then the procedure would be legal there, even if banned by a WA resolution, and they wouldn't have to violate PRA, only this particular one (if it passed). Snip someone's balls off, and when compliance committee comes to complain at you, go "oh, so sorry, we'll obey it from now on". And rinse and repeat whenever the new committee doesn't make the decisions you want.

The whole "enforce" clause is also an empty threat, as there's no way for the WA to enforce anything, since the compliance committee resolution made noncompliance possible. :p
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:31 am

Araraukar wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:It's not "magical compliance", it's the way the game works. The resolution passes, and if you are member nation, your stats change. Henceforth you are in compliance. Is it really that hard to comprehend this?

OOC: That's what I keep saying!!!!!! But IA & co. argue that that's not how it works, and have created an IC method for a nation to be noncompliant via a resolution or two.

Which actually reminds me that if a nation is noncompliant, then the procedure would be legal there, even if banned by a WA resolution, and they wouldn't have to violate PRA, only this particular one (if it passed). Snip someone's balls off, and when compliance committee comes to complain at you, go "oh, so sorry, we'll obey it from now on". And rinse and repeat whenever the new committee doesn't make the decisions you want.

The whole "enforce" clause is also an empty threat, as there's no way for the WA to enforce anything, since the compliance committee resolution made noncompliance possible. :p

OOC: Magical enforcement is entirely unrealistic from an IC perspective. It literally doesn't exist anywhere irl, and it takes a great deal of challenge out of writing to ignore enforcement mechanisms.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 am

Ara, I linked above a link to the difference between delegated and primary legislation. Further in it is the difference between self-executing provisions and directives. That difference is an important one which, as a citizen in an EU country, is important directly to your domestic legal framework. That difference is where you will find, with minimal logical leaps that I am confident are within your abilities, the reasons as to why this temporal contradiction claim is illogical.

Re compliance. Supra. Sep.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:19 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: That's what I keep saying!!!!!! But IA & co. argue that that's not how it works, and have created an IC method for a nation to be noncompliant via a resolution or two.

OOC: Magical enforcement is entirely unrealistic from an IC perspective. It literally doesn't exist anywhere irl, and it takes a great deal of challenge out of writing to ignore enforcement mechanisms.

Before the creation of the Compliance Commission,pretty much no resolution had any sort of enforcement mechanism and things weren't a problem. When did it start to become a problem?

wait

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Wayneactia wrote:

Before the creation of the Compliance Commission,pretty much no resolution had any sort of enforcement mechanism and things weren't a problem. When did it start to become a problem?

Other resolutions have included enforcement provisions. No, I am not going to waste my time finding them for you. You're capable of research. No, I'm not trying to conceal anything. Reading the relevant ruling will provide detailed analysis of our decision.

The shift in dealing with compliance has its origins in the repeal of the ICC. Its been considered since. It wasn't a new problem, it was a change in considering the game. Since the genie is out of the bottle on that front, though, its fairly moot as anything but a talking point for dumping on GenSec.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives