NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

[PASSED] Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Mild

Whereas the sterilisation of minors or incompetent persons is not prohibited by the legislation of this most excellent Assembly :

And whereas it would be most safe to entrust the authority to make such a determination to independent medical authorities :

Be it enacted by the World Assembly, by and with the advice and consent of the Delegates and Members, in this present session assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows :——

1. It is unlawful in all member nations to sterilise, in any way, a person below the age of majority or any incompetent person, without the approval of an independent Institutional Review Board, which has certified after review, the necessity of sterilisation for the long-term health of that person.

2. The WACC may make regulations to clarify upon and enforce this resolution.
Last edited by Ransium on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 pm

OOC: If this is legal, then by all means, pass it separately if the resolution at vote does not get redrafted!
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 pm

“Full support. However, your first clause prohibits nations to ‘sterilise, in any way’, which is far more broad than the current legislation at-vote, which bans only permanent sterilisation. Was this intentional?”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:25 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Be it enacted by the World Assembly, by and with the advice and consent of the Delegates and Members, in this present session assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows :——

As per Bananas ruling here "Metagaming ("bicameral nature of the World Assembly" and "Delegates" appear to be references to the Security Council and WA delegates - these cannot be mentioned in proposals)".

Therefore illegal.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:37 am

There is also this little gem which states:

"Child abuse as any and/or all of the following:

i. the forcing of unwanted or nonconsensual sexual behaviour and/or desire upon a child,

ii. the causing of excessive physical pain, injury or harm with a malicious intent, or through negligence, outside that which may occur from peer-to-peer bullying,

iii. any deliberate act and/or behaviour which results in serious emotional and mental trauma in a child,

iv. when a guardian deprives, intentionally or otherwise, a child of necessities such as care, nourishment, shelter, and/or healthcare on a long term or continuous basis, if that guardian is capable of providing such;

MANDATES that all acts of child abuse be criminalised;"

I highlighted the relevant parts for you. Forced sterilization of a child is already illegal as it would cause excessive harm to the child.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:09 am

OOC: 1. Don't double post. Edit the first and add the additional info there.

2. The ruling you referred to is specific to that proposal and the surrounding context in that proposal. The particular phrase used here is allowable.

3. It is entirely conceivable that there may be valid medical reasons for the sterilisation of children and thus it would be carried out without malicious intent. This proposal does not duplicate GAR#222.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:32 am

Bananaistan wrote:2. The ruling you referred to is specific to that proposal and the surrounding context in that proposal. The particular phrase used here is allowable.

Really?

"BE IT KNOWN; that this Proposal shall be submitted for the consideration of all Delegates, present in membership of the General Chamber of the World Assembly on this day SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 07, 2019, and shall henceforth be entitled as follows; “THE SECURITIES AND INVESTMENTS LIMITATIONS ACT”."

"Be it enacted by the World Assembly, by and with the advice and consent of the Delegates and Members, in this present session assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows :——"

Show me the difference. Both reference delegates. As your ruling clearly states "Metagaming ("bicameral nature of the World Assembly" and "Delegates" appear to be references to the Security Council and WA delegates - these cannot be mentioned in proposals)".

wait

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:40 am

OOC: What's with the completely unnecessary large text? It's incredibly annoying.

I'm sure you can see that one states "submitted for the consideration of all delegates". The other doesn't. Two different sentences altogether.
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:49 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Ad viewtopic.php?p=36213370#p36213370

Whereas the sterilisation of minors or incompetent persons is not prohibited by the legislation of this most excellent Assembly :

And whereas it would be most safe to entrust the authority to make such a determination to independent medical authorities :

Be it enacted by the World Assembly, by and with the advice and consent of the Delegates and Members, in this present session assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows :——

1. It shall be unlawful in all member nations to sterilise, in any way, any person below the age of majority or any incompetent person, without the approval of an Institutional Review Board, which has certified after review, the necessity of the procedure for the long-term health of that person.

2. The WACC shall, by regulations, have power enforce the provisions of this resolution.

"Its a bit short but I cant see how we can expand upon it. Clause 2 is redundant so I suggest you remove it."
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:52 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: What's with the completely unnecessary large text? It's incredibly annoying.

Just to ensure you are actually reading the statement.

Bananaistan wrote:I'm sure you can see that one states "submitted for the consideration of all delegates". The other doesn't. Two different sentences altogether.

That's semantics and you know it. For instance Investments and Securities states "for the consideration of all Delegates, present in membership", and this one states "by and with the advice and consent of the Delegates and Members, in this present session assembled". It is just a different way of phrasing the exact same thing.

"2. The WACC shall, by regulations, have power enforce the provisions of this resolution."

Compliance Commission is already mandated to enforce the provisions of this resolution, by the very nature of their existence in GAR #390. As the resolution is only two lines long, this should equal out to 50% duplication.

wait

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:54 am

Wayneactia wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:I'm sure you can see that one states "submitted for the consideration of all delegates". The other doesn't. Two different sentences altogether.

That's semantics and you know it. For instance Investments and Securities states "for the consideration of all Delegates, present in membership", and this one states "by and with the advice and consent of the Delegates and Members, in this present session assembled". It is just a different way of phrasing the exact same thing.

OOC: I dont understand how the term "Delegate" is metagaming. Cant delegates exist in an IC world? Also, Bananas ruling isn't official Gensec ruling afaik.
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:57 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:

OOC: I dont understand how the term "Delegate" is metagaming. Cant delegates exist in an IC world? Also, Bananas ruling isn't official Gensec ruling afaik.

Yep it is. It was used by all of GenSec to declare Investments and Securities illegal.

wait

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:59 am

Wayneactia wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: I dont understand how the term "Delegate" is metagaming. Cant delegates exist in an IC world? Also, Bananas ruling isn't official Gensec ruling afaik.

Yep it is. It was used by all of GenSec to declare Investments and Securities illegal.

OOC: An official Gensec ruling involves a legality challenge and a discussion. The secretariat then uses the bolded green text to announce the ruling. Feel free to challenge the legality or illegality of this.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:08 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:

OOC: An official Gensec ruling involves a legality challenge and a discussion. The secretariat then uses the bolded green text to announce the ruling. Feel free to challenge the legality or illegality of this.

I am familiar with the process. When they use a ruling game side to rule something illegal, it is an official ruling. Either way, this looks alarmingly like a case of "double standard" being applied. The fact that it is being brought up in the drafting thread of the actual proposal where it belongs, that really should suffice. If I have to do the song and dance of creating a whole separate thread just to challenge the legality of it, why have the drafting thread in the first place?

wait

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:09 am

Wayneactia wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:OOC: What's with the completely unnecessary large text? It's incredibly annoying.

Just to ensure you are actually reading the statement.

OOC: Ofc it's semantics. That's what we do here. You seem to brush over the word "submission". That indicates to me that the talk in the other proposal is referring to WA delegates because of the nature of the game and how proposals are submitted to the queue and considered by WA delegates for approvals.

Also our control panel rulings do not form binding precedent even when we all agree on a point of illegality. Such rulings generally reflect existing precedent but only rulings arising from challenges where we take time to discuss the issues with the community and among ourselves can be taken to be precedent.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:15 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Ofc it's semantics. That's what we do here. You seem to brush over the word "submission". That indicates to me that the talk in the other proposal is referring to WA delegates because of the nature of the game and how proposals are submitted to the queue and considered by WA delegates for approvals.

Pedantry by the very definition. When the President seeks the advice and consent of the Senate, he submits it to them. Potatoe, potato.

Bananaistan wrote:Also our control panel rulings do not form binding precedent even when we all agree on a point of illegality. Such rulings generally reflect existing precedent but only rulings arising from challenges where we take time to discuss the issues with the community and among ourselves can be taken to be precedent.

My, my my. Is it really that fulfilling playing God? One person has their proposal declared illegal on what is obviously a rule that was pulled out of thin air, yet someone else gets away with it? I much prefer the old system, where the mods were in charge of this. They made some pretty pitiful decisions, but at least they tried to be consistent. Your attempt to justify this is beyond pathetic.

Edit: Further to that, from an RP point, their are no regional delegates to the WA, because the GA doesn't acknowledge the existence of regions. So on those grounds alone both should be illegal for metagaming. I.A. is clearly referencing the regional delegates and not member delegations, or they would have said that.
Last edited by WayNeacTia on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

wait

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:12 am

Wayneactia wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Ofc it's semantics. That's what we do here. You seem to brush over the word "submission". That indicates to me that the talk in the other proposal is referring to WA delegates because of the nature of the game and how proposals are submitted to the queue and considered by WA delegates for approvals.

Pedantry by the very definition. When the President seeks the advice and consent of the Senate, he submits it to them. Potatoe, potato.

Bananaistan wrote:Also our control panel rulings do not form binding precedent even when we all agree on a point of illegality. Such rulings generally reflect existing precedent but only rulings arising from challenges where we take time to discuss the issues with the community and among ourselves can be taken to be precedent.

My, my my. Is it really that fulfilling playing God? One person has their proposal declared illegal on what is obviously a rule that was pulled out of thin air, yet someone else gets away with it? I much prefer the old system, where the mods were in charge of this. They made some pretty pitiful decisions, but at least they tried to be consistent. Your attempt to justify this is beyond pathetic.

Edit: Further to that, from an RP point, their are no regional delegates to the WA, because the GA doesn't acknowledge the existence of regions. So on those grounds alone both should be illegal for metagaming. I.A. is clearly referencing the regional delegates and not member delegations, or they would have said that.

OOC: the previous proposal was illegal regardless of how you feel about "Delegates" because "bicameral" is Metagaming no matter how you slice it. That ruling therefore doesn't necessarily have anything to do with this proposal.

As for "delegates" I would stand by this statement. Meanwhile, the control panel wording was as broad as possible to make sure the author understood that if they were referring to regional delegates, please not to on redrafting.

There are no inconsistencies here. Let's let the actual draft discussion take place.
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:43 am

Wayneactia wrote:

OOC: Well I'm sorry you feel that way but in defence of the current system, you couldn't have had this discussion under the old system when moderators removed proposals from the queue with no discussion of the reasons whatsoever. I also think that you are perhaps over-egging this pudding somewhat considering that this delegates issue was only one of three illegalities in the proposal you refer to. Although if you look at the illegal proposals thread and the thread SL just linked to, you'll see that there has been some discussion of the use of the word delegate in proposals. And you know, having this discussion and plenty more like it that GenSec regularly engages in, is not at all like playing God, which I think is hyperbolic and not becoming of reasoned debate.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 am

Wayneactia wrote:

If you want to nix GenSec, take it up in Technical.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:26 am

Wayneactia wrote:My, my my. Is it really that fulfilling playing God? One person has their proposal declared illegal on what is obviously a rule that was pulled out of thin air, yet someone else gets away with it? I much prefer the old system, where the mods were in charge of this. They made some pretty pitiful decisions, but at least they tried to be consistent. Your attempt to justify this is beyond pathetic.

Nah gensec is fucking trash, but i'm reasonably sure that if someone submitted CP they'd rule it illegal, that makes them at least better then mods.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Well I'm sorry you feel that way but in defence of the current system, you couldn't have had this discussion under the old system when moderators removed proposals from the queue with no discussion of the reasons whatsoever.

This is true, and you do bring up a valid point.

Bananaistan wrote:I also think that you are perhaps over-egging this pudding somewhat considering that this delegates issue was only one of three illegalities in the proposal you refer to.

I am not arguing the other proposal was not illegal. It was. It just annoys me that the delegate issue was used there to justify an illegality, yet it is okay here. I go out of my way to maintain common sense. I also look at the available evidence, and what that evidence, as it is laid out shows that a new author gets dinged for something, yet an accomplished author is scot free. If I am wrong, prove me wrong.

Bananaistan wrote:Although if you look at the illegal proposals thread and the thread SL just linked to, you'll see that there has been some discussion of the use of the word delegate in proposals. And you know, having this discussion and plenty more like it that GenSec regularly engages in, is not at all like playing God, which I think is hyperbolic and not becoming of reasoned debate.

Hyperbolic? This is not exaggerated. The evidence doesn't lie. If you guys want to discuss it, fine. Discuss it out in the open. Don't punish one person, and let someone else get away, all while claiming you need to have secret discussions, because that is playing god.

Separatist Peoples wrote:If you want to nix GenSec, take it up in Technical.

I have far better things to do with my time, than bash my head off of an impervious brick wall thanks. You guys have it in your power to fix things yourselves. Whether you choose to do it or not is up to you.

Aclion wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:My, my my. Is it really that fulfilling playing God? One person has their proposal declared illegal on what is obviously a rule that was pulled out of thin air, yet someone else gets away with it? I much prefer the old system, where the mods were in charge of this. They made some pretty pitiful decisions, but at least they tried to be consistent. Your attempt to justify this is beyond pathetic.

Nah gensec is fucking trash, but i'm reasonably sure that if someone submitted CP they'd rule it illegal, that makes them at least better then mods.

Let's not shall we. It is obvious they do somewhat try. They have made some decent decisions in the past, which is more than can be said about the mods. The problem seems to be the same one that plagued the mods: consistency.

Coincidental that every one of those resoultions is yours, yet another person gets smacked for it?

wait

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Re Delegates. I hold the position that the use of the word in the context of 'there exist Delegates who have more votes than normal WA members' is not metagaming.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Re Delegates. I hold the position that the use of the word in the context of 'there exist Delegates who have more votes than normal WA members' is not metagaming.

That is the definition of metagaming, as that would require the recognition of regions.

wait

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives