NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Microcredit and Microgrants

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Microcredit and Microgrants

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Microcredit and Microgrants
Category: Free Trade | Strength: Mild

BELIEVING that through focused initiatives and international cooperation, poverty and suffering can be ended,

NOTICING that microfinance allows the impoverished access to much-needed financial assistance,

RECOGNIZING that those living in poverty may be targeted by unfair, deceptive, and fraudulent lending practices,

SEEKING to protect those persons from predatory lending through specialized, safe credit opportunities,

The World Assembly therefore

DEFINES microcredit as the extension of loans for small sums of money, by lenders to those in poverty, for the purpose of sustaining livelihood and encouraging entrepreneurship;

DEFINES microgrant as a gift of a small sum of money, for the purpose of sustaining livelihood and encouraging entrepreneurship;

DEFINES solidarity lending as practice of lending microcredit collectively to a group of persons, to decrease risk for lenders by increasing the probability of debt repayment;

DEFINES a defaulted loan as one that the borrower has failed to make scheduled debt payments for at least a year;

DEFINES borrower insolvency as the inability of a borrower to make scheduled debt payments, after all reasonable payment plans have been tried;

ENCOURAGES nations to strive to eliminate poverty through microcredit, social welfare, and other forms of assistance directed at the impoverished;

ESTABLISHES the World Microcredit Foundation (WMF) as a global resource for microcredit lenders and the world’s impoverished persons, which is tasked with establishing WMF chapters in willing nations and ensuring the safety and efficiency of microcredit by:
- Determining credible, honest, and fair microcredit lenders and authorizing such lenders to participate in the WMF initiative, a global effort to provide microcredit and stimulate entrepreneurship;
- Forming lending standards to which all authorized WMF lenders are bound, and routinely inspecting the practices and finances of authorized WMF lenders;
- Disseminating information about WMF lenders, the WMF initiative, and microcredit in general, to microcredit lenders and borrowers;
- Educating the general populace about the safe and responsible use of credit;
- Working with borrowers to ensure the repayment of loans;
- Reimbursing lenders the balance of the principle investment in cases of defaulted loans and borrower insolvency;

CLARIFYING that the WMF shall not be the originator of any loans;

ENCOURAGES WMF lenders to practice solidarity lending, believing it to be a building block of successful microcredit lending;

ENCOURAGES nations with areas of large numbers of impoverished citizens to inquire about and establish WMF chapters in those areas;

ENCOURAGES credit lenders to research and participate in the WMF initiative;

ESTABLISHES the Microgrant Institute as a subset of the WMF, which shall:
- Accept monetary donations from individuals, governments, organizations, corporations, or other entities;
- Determine individuals living in extreme poverty who are too risk-averse to seek out a loan or have been denied access to microcredit;
- Review applications and determining if those individuals genuinely require assistance;
- Distribute a microgrant, through the monies obtained through donations, to those persons, for the purpose of sustaining livelihood and encouraging entrepreneurship.

Dr. Bradford William Castro

Ambassador-at-Large,
Permanent Chief of Mission for World Assembly affairs,
the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Tue May 11, 2010 4:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm

This would be considered to be a improvement to the draft, honoured ambassador. I have taken this draft seriously for consideration.

We also note the vanishing of the IMF typo. That is a good thing.

Oh, and just to be on the safe side:

BELIEVING that through focused initiatives and international cooperation, poverty and suffering can be ended;

NOTICING that microfinance allows the impoverished access to much-needed financial assistance;

RECOGNIZING that those living in poverty may be targeted by unfair, deceptive, and fraudulent lending practices;

SEEKING to protect those persons from predatory lending through specialized, safe credit opportunities;

The World Assembly therefore,

Yours etc,
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:45 am

I will submit this for a test run later today, so if there are any delegations wishing to comment, now would be the time.

Ambassador-at-Large,

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:49 am

Apart from our "safe side" suggestions, that should be it, Dr. Castro. ;)

Ms. Sarah Harper

Pencil-Chewing Delegate to the World Assembly,
The Mind of Charlotte Ryberg

Diatraba
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Diatraba » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:57 am

ah - I presume that this is version two of the same resolution that was drafted, submitted and defeated about three months ago? In which case:

a) I see no change
b) In light of current economic troubles, I am wholeheartedly supporting this Resolution

Supongo que se trata de la versión dos de la misma resolución que fue elaborado, presentado y derrotado hace unos tres meses? En cuyo caso:

a) No veo ningún cambio
b) Con respecto a los actuales problemas económicos, estoy totalmente de apoyo a la presente Resolución

Je suppose que ceci est une version deux de la même résolution qui a été rédigé, présenté et défait il ya trois mois? Dans ce cas:

a) Je ne vois pas de changement
b) En ce qui concerne les difficultés économiques actuelles, je suis de tout coeur l'appui de cette résolution

Ich vermute, dass diese Version zwei der gleichen Auflösung, die entworfen wurde, vorgelegt wird und besiegte vor etwa drei Monaten? In diesem Fall:

a) Ich sehe keine Veränderung
b) In Bezug auf aktuelle wirtschaftliche Sorgen, ich bin von ganzem Herzen unterstützen diese Resolution
Dimitri MacCarinson - Honourary Chief Ambassador on behalf of the Communist State of Diatraba (PMT)- One nation, one vision!
DEFCON: 3 - army at rediness - rediness levels above normal
UK Threat Level: Substantial - an attack is a strong possibility
REDCON: 2 - Full Alert - Army ready to fight
My Nation's Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian Authoritarian: 3.69
My Political Compass
Our economic report

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:06 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I will submit this for a test run later today, so if there are any delegations wishing to comment, now would be the time.

Oh yes, indeed. This time it would be nice if Your Most Sublime & Extolled Holiness would actually read the proposal, before deluding yourself that the proposal queue is some kind of sewer.

Respectfully yours,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:16 am

Diatraba wrote:a) I see no change

Very little change was needed, to be clear. But there are some changes:
BELIEVING that through focused initiatives and international cooperation, poverty and suffering can be ended,

NOTICING that microfinance allows the impoverished access to much-needed financial assistance,

RECOGNIZING that those living in poverty may be targeted by unfair, deceptive, and fraudulent lending practices,

SEEKING to protect those persons from predatory lending through specialized, safe credit opportunities,

The World Assembly therefore

DEFINES microcredit as the extension of loans for small sums of money, by lenders to those in poverty, for the purpose of sustaining livelihood and encouraging entrepreneurship;

DEFINES microgrant as a gift of a small sum of money, for the purpose of sustaining livelihood and encouraging entrepreneurship;

DEFINES solidarity lending as practice of lending microcredit collectively to a group of persons, to decrease risk for lenders by increasing the probability of debt repayment;

DEFINES a defaulted loan as one that the borrower has failed to make scheduled debt payments for at least a year;

DEFINES borrower insolvency as the inability of a borrower to make scheduled debt payments, after all reasonable payment plans have been tried;

ENCOURAGES nations to strive to eliminate poverty through microcredit, social welfare, and other forms of assistance directed at the impoverished;

ESTABLISHES the World Microcredit Foundation (WMF) as a global resource for microcredit lenders and the world’s impoverished persons, which is tasked with establishing WMF chapters in willing nations and ensuring the safety and efficiency of microcredit by:
- Determining credible, honest, and fair microcredit lenders and authorizing such lenders to participate in the WMF initiative, a global effort to provide microcredit and stimulate entrepreneurship;
- Forming lending standards to which all authorized WMF lenders are bound, and routinely inspecting the practices and finances of authorized WMF lenders;
- Disseminating information about WMF lenders, the WMF initiative, and microcredit in general, to microcredit lenders and borrowers;
- Working with borrowers to ensure the repayment of loans;
- Reimbursing lenders the balance of the principle investment in cases of defaulted loans and borrower insolvency;

CLARIFYING that the WMF shall not be the originator of any loans;

ENCOURAGES WMF lenders to practice solidarity lending, believing it to be a building block of successful microcredit lending;

ENCOURAGES nations with areas of large numbers of impoverished citizens to inquire about and establish WMF chapters in those areas;

ENCOURAGES credit lenders to research and participate in the WMF initiative;

ESTABLISHES the Microgrant Institute as a subset of the WMF and charges it with:
- Determining individuals living in extreme poverty who are too risk-averse to seek out a loan or have been denied access to microcredit;
- Reviewing applications and determining if those individuals genuinely require assistance;
- Distributing a microgrant to those persons, for the purpose of sustaining livelihood and encouraging entrepreneurship.

Ambassador-at-Large,

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:34 am

"So the WA itself is not to be a source of loans -- which makes sense, I agree -- but is to hand out grants to people who'd prefer those instead? Bah, my government's vote will be "Against", at least unless and until you include a clause setting a suitable upper limit for the total sum that could be disbursed in this way per year... which I seriously suggest should not exceed 01% of the Assembly's budget.
"Incidentally, I would suggest adding another option alongside the
loans, too: There are some cultures within which the payment of interest is taboo, and where equivalent arrangements therefore include instead a period of shared ownership of the resources involved which the person being helped then "buys" from the person or organisation who's supplying the funds at a high enough price to give the latter a comparable profit to the one that they'd have gained on an interest-paying loan for the same investment..."

Borrin o Redwood,
Chairbear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly
for
The High Council of Clans,
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:12 pm

Bears Armed wrote:"So the WA itself is not to be a source of loans -- which makes sense, I agree -- but is to hand out grants to people who'd prefer those instead? Bah, my government's vote will be "Against", at least unless and until you include a clause setting a suitable upper limit for the total sum that could be disbursed in this way per year... which I seriously suggest should not exceed 01% of the Assembly's budget.

My stance on placing a ceiling on the distribution of grants still has not changed. I would like to keep the grant initiative, but I am open to other sources of funds, like private donations. My only concern is that those donations may not be able to cover the demand for grants.

Bears Armed wrote:"Incidentally, I would suggest adding another option alongside the loans, too: There are some cultures within which the payment of interest is taboo, and where equivalent arrangements therefore include instead a period of shared ownership of the resources involved which the person being helped then "buys" from the person or organisation who's supplying the funds at a high enough price to give the latter a comparable profit to the one that they'd have gained on an interest-paying loan for the same investment..."

I'm not sure how to put that explicitly into law, but I do not think that scenario is incompatible with the WMF initiative. The regulation of interest rates is only to prevent them from becoming too high, not to prevent them from becoming too low. The lending standards devised by the WMF are not statutorily required to be global, either. So, the WMF should easily be able to blend in with whatever cultural rules about credit and loans apply, while still preventing harmful practices. For instance, the WMF could prevent lenders in the culture you've described from gaining an unfairly proportioned profit by selling the shared resources to the borrower at falsely inflated rates.

Ambassador-at-Large,

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:45 pm

"Microgrant Institute" sounds a bit boring. How about renaming it the "Global Initiative Making Microgrants Everywhere?"
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:35 pm

New Rockport wrote:"Microgrant Institute" sounds a bit boring. How about renaming it the "Global Initiative Making Microgrants Everywhere?"

In keeping with the overall spirit & quality of the text, we would suggest "Supporting Honourable Initiatives Today"

Respectfully submitted,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:54 pm

The economic recession in our country has brought the Republic of Quadrimmina in full support of this legislation.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:14 am

New Rockport wrote:"Microgrant Institute" sounds a bit boring. How about renaming it the "Global Initiative Making Microgrants Everywhere?"

I think the "Microgrant Institute" should do fine honoured ambassador, at least it's a name we won't regret later... semi-colon, closing parenthesis.

Yours etc,

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:31 pm

I have changed the funding mechanism for the Microgrant Institute. My original thoughts were that microgrants would not be a major source of capital, which is why is it tacked on at the end of the resolution, rather than being a prominent component. I feel that it is likely that there are enough altruistic donators in the vast worlds, that there shouldn't be any significant shortage of funds. Upon Ambassador Redwood's comments, I believe this is ready for submission.

Ambassador-at-Large,

Sionis Prioratus wrote:In keeping with the overall spirit & quality of the text, we would suggest "Supporting Honourable Initiatives Today".

OOC: If the only thing you're capable of offering is a thinly-veiled flame-bait, please don't post.

Welfare Queens
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Welfare Queens » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:19 pm

Oh, the joy! We, the Welfare Queens, wholeheartedly endorse this legislation!

Welfare Queens everywhere jump in joy! ...as another source of government money, with not a really that serious mandate to give it back is available!

Thank you World Assembly, for more free money to us, with even less work!

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Welfare Queens wrote:Oh, the joy! We, the Welfare Queens, wholeheartedly endorse this legislation!

Welfare Queens everywhere jump in joy! ...as another source of government money, with not a really that serious mandate to give it back is available!

Thank you World Assembly, for more free money to us, with even less work!

OOC: Would be funny if (a) it was actually 'government money' and (b) the money would actually be able to go to buying nice cars, manicures, pearls, etc etc... let alone to people in nations that even have those things for sale! ;-) You're really making a stretch, here.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:22 am

In my opinion there is no need to go about defining or determining every bit of this quality, carefully planned and well-written proposal. I think Dr. Castro has pretty much done everything that's possible. I'm ready when you are, honoured ambassador.

Welfare Queens
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Welfare Queens » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:44 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:In my opinion there is no need to go about defining or determining every bit of this quality, carefully planned and well-written proposal. I think Dr. Castro has pretty much done everything that's possible. I'm ready when you are, honoured ambassador.

Yo, indeed! I'm also ready wiff ya, Glenrhodes an' Charlote! We need dat fat money already!! How be I suppose ta pay da rent an' take care o' muh ma fuckin nine lil' bastards? I'd git child support, if I only knew who da fathers iz. Hopefully dere'sdis here World assembly, ta make up fo' muh ma fuckin mistakes. I won't do it ag'in, I promise! otay buh-weet

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:40 am

OOC: Players are reminded that use of more than one nation in a discussion thread can give an unbalanced view of the level of support for or opposition to a proposal, and is therefore not cricket discouraged.
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Got it, Dr. Castro. Good luck on it reaching quorum!

Yours etc,

Virtualila
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Virtualila » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:04 pm

Virtualila will refuse to support this bill if it should reach quorum. As we said during the last attempt, we believe that the solution to fighting poverty is not through the installation of more credit, as it is oftentimes credit that places these unfortunate individuals in the position of poverty in the first place.
When you are too far to one side that you can no longer see even the near borders of the other, regardless of the cause, you have gone too far.

Proud Centrist Social Libertarian
Political Compass: Left: -3.00, Libertarian: -6.10
Political Spectrum: Left: 0.36, Libertarian: 5.27

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:11 am

Virtualila wrote:Virtualila will refuse to support this bill if it should reach quorum. As we said during the last attempt, we believe that the solution to fighting poverty is not through the installation of more credit, as it is oftentimes credit that places these unfortunate individuals in the position of poverty in the first place.

There are provisions in this proposal for promoting responsible lending, and there is always an option for lenders to give out grants only, which does not need paying back.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat May 01, 2010 8:32 pm

OOC: I don't suppose anybody kept a list of delegates that voted for or approved last time? Thought I did, but I guess I didn't.. :\

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Sun May 02, 2010 6:43 am

We can tentatively support this, despite it's somewhat fluffy language.
-Aram Koopman
Knootian Ambassador to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives