NATION

PASSWORD

The Status of Established Religions with GA #15 and #39

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Do States with an Established Religion count as the following?

State (not a religious group, must abide by GA #15 and GA #39)
92%
Religious Group (autonomy protected in GA #15 and GA #39)
8%

Total votes : 13

Farsestan
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

The Status of Established Religions with GA #15 and #39

Postby Farsestan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:41 pm

As a nation with a Zoroastrian established religion, Farsestan would like to ask about the following point:

In GA #15, the Freedom of Marriage Act, it is said that: "No State shall restrict the right to enter into such unions to persons of a certain sex or sexual orientation, nor shall they require that they be of the same or different sex." In GA #39, the Right to a Lawful Divorce, it is said that "Divorce... shall henceforth be available to all inhabitants of the World Assembly member states without let or hindrance."

Obviously, this shows that the WA enforces the tenets of same-sex marriage and divorce on-demand. However, it also declares that religious groups shall not be affected by this in their form of marriage. This assumes that the State is not connected in any way to a religious group, whereas Farsestan and many other nations in fact are.

This leaves a grey area that we Established Religion States have to consider: is the State, through its having an established religion, able to decide on its own policy as pertaining to same-sex marriage and divorce? Or is it that the State, through being the State, is obliged to abide by WA rules on these matters, no matter what ties it has to a faith community? Farsestan's Zarathustrotema, the head of the House of Priests and head of the established Zoroastrian religion in Farsestan, has noted that same-sex marriage and divorce are not compatible with Zoroastrian teaching.

We would like an answer to this problem so that we may sort the matter out in Farsestani law. Thank you all in advance.

((OOC: Yes, I know I still have my April Fools' Day Liberal category next to my normal one.))
Last edited by Farsestan on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poree
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Poree » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:57 pm

The fact that a Nation declares an official religion does not change the fact it is a Nation. I would even go so far as to say even a true theocracy where the state is the religion does not change the fact it is a Nation.

By joining the WA a government accepts the obligation to live by the resolutions of the WA. The fact a particular government may not refer to themselves as a nation does not change their obligation as members of the WA to follow the resolutions. It is therefore my opinion that there is no grey area at all, rather it is clear and precise what your obligation is as a member of the WA.

I yield the floor to the next representative.
Sarah Woodman
Representative of The Empire of Poree
Regional Delegate

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Serrland would suggest two marriages: a Civil marriage, the one recognized by the State, and a religious marriage, recognized the the established religion. The first (civil) marriage would be subject to GA #15, the second (religious) marriage would be protected by the resolutions documenting religious freedoms.
Last edited by Serrland on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:18 pm

The only entities (technically) allowed to join the World Assembly are states. So, if you join the World Assembly, you're joining as a state, not a religious group.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:31 pm

OOC: Partly in line with your question, Brutland and Norden reacted to the passage of this GA Resolution #15 by suspending civil marriage in his country. He claimed that since all marriages were then being carried out by religious groups, he was under no obligation to ensure that the resolution was being enforced. Being simultaneously church and state is bit trickier, and I'm not sure a lot of your colleagues will recognize your claim to be exempt from Resolution #15 because your government is a religious organization. "Privatizing" the institution of marriage to nonprofit churches with no government regulation seems like a safer bet, although B&N's little scheme was not without its critics at the time.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:19 pm

As the author of GA #39, let me point out the last clause of "The Right to a Lawful Divorce":

6) Nothing in this Resolution shall be construed so as to dictate the beliefs or the internal, solely religious procedures and rites any religion should follow.

Religious freedoms are protected.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:15 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:As the author of GA #39, let me point out the last clause of "The Right to a Lawful Divorce":

6) Nothing in this Resolution shall be construed so as to dictate the beliefs or the internal, solely religious procedures and rites any religion should follow.

Religious freedoms are protected.

Absolutely, but also: Freedom of Expression (#30) and anti-discrimination under the CoCR.

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 am

in my opinion I would surmise that it works thusly

A religion may have a faith based edict against such unions or aginst the dissolution of said unions. However such may not extend to the realm of national law.

You may frown upon it for reasons of faith, but cannot criminalize it.

This would seem to me to enforce a small amount of seperation between church and state.
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Sky View
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sky View » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:48 pm

I say repeal them both and try again. or don't try at all.

Farsestan
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Farsestan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:42 am

The government of Farsestan has introduced a 'Civil Contract' which may be broken and is open to two people of any gender match. It is to be an automatic part of the Zoroastrian marital institution, but people of other religions will have to seek a CC separately. Hopefully this is satisfactory to the Assembly?

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:53 am

Sky View wrote:I say repeal them both and try again. or don't try at all.

The Representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn wishes to go on the record as supporting the idea that both resolutions should be repealed.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Manticore Reborn wrote:
Sky View wrote:I say repeal them both and try again. or don't try at all.

The Representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn wishes to go on the record as supporting the idea that both resolutions should be repealed.

Why? Frankly the questions raised by the honoured Ambassador for Farsestan were the result of a poor understanding of both statutes. Calling for their repeal on the basis of such an understanding is absurd.

Yours,
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly