NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Prohibit Private Prisons"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Repeal "Prohibit Private Prisons"

Postby Marxist Germany » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:25 am

Link to target

Repeal "Prohibit Private Prisons"
Category:Repeal | Proposed by: Germany

The World Assembly,

Applauding the efforts of this assembly to improve the standards and conditions of incarceration by prohibiting private prisons in the aforementioned resolution;

Quoting clause 2 which states " Further defines a "private prison" as a prison that is entirely owned and operated or primarily owned and operated by a nongovernmental corporation, a private individual, or any other private actor or actors";

Noting that the aforementioned clause states that a prison can only be considered private if it is wholly or primarily owned by a private proprietor;

Recognising that this therefore means governments can exploit this loophole through purchasing 51% of a private prison to avoid the ban;

Further Noting that a government can own a prison and lease it to a private proprietor as the resolution does not prohibit this;

Further Quoting clause 3 which states "Requires all member states and their political subdivisions, within two calendar years of this resolution's passage and in perpetuity thereafter, to discontinue their use of private prisons for the incarceration of individuals convicted of crimes and serving criminal sentences";

Observing that the aforementioned clause does not ban private prisons in member states but instead, allows them to operate as long as they receive criminals convicted in foreign non-member countries;

Discerning that member states can arrest individuals and place them in private prisons whilst they await their trial due to the aforementioned clause stating "discontinue their use of private prisons for the incarceration of individuals convicted of crimes and serving criminal sentences";

Concerned that the resolution does not prohibit private prisons in member states but only bars member states from incarcerating their own convicts in them;

Believing that this resolution ought to be repealed and replaced by a resolution that regulates private prisons, or prohibits them properly;

Hereby,

Repeals GA#468 "Prohibit Private Prisons".
Last edited by Ransium on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:26 am

"It is clear that the resolution at vote will pass in the next couple of hours, so here's an attempt at a repeal."

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:37 am

Opposed. Strongly so.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:39 am

United Massachusetts wrote:Opposed. Strongly so.

"Ambassador, there is nothing stopping the delegation from Christian Democrats to write up a better replacement, wouldn't you want a full ban on private prisons?"
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:01 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Opposed. Strongly so.

"Ambassador, there is nothing stopping the delegation from Christian Democrats to write up a better replacement, wouldn't you want a full ban on private prisons?"

"Ambassador, we do not believe it wise to risk a replacement. Further, it remains our opinion that if the government is the main owner of a prison, the perverse incentives of a free market are kept in check."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:19 am

United Massachusetts wrote:"Ambassador, we do not believe it wise to risk a replacement. Further, it remains our opinion that if the government is the main owner of a prison, the perverse incentives of a free market are kept in check."

"So you are happier to have a ban that does not actually ban anything or cause private prisons to go out of business, according to the author?"
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:18 am

United Massachusetts wrote:"Ambassador, we do not believe it wise to risk a replacement. Further, it remains our opinion that if the government is the main owner of a prison, the perverse incentives of a free market are kept in check."

So the government couldn't possibly make themselves an profit maximising state-owned enterprise? An interesting assessment.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:07 am

(OOC: I support this due to the possibility of a full ban on private prisons.)

“I support this due to the potential for a compromise that does not ban private prisons.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Eh. Opposed in part.

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

So the government couldn't possibly make themselves an profit maximising state-owned enterprise? An interesting assessment.

Consider the alternative where the property of the prison is privately owned and the state can rent the space to staff the prison. Also, while private prisons are temporary for emergency situations what is to prevent a government from claiming a fiscal crisis and loopholing out of the whole resolution?

North Johen Ezermard
Secretary

Founded: Apr 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North Johen Ezermard » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:46 pm

You may include the harms of banning private prisons instead of just stating the flaws of the original resolution, such as the fact that it limits the economic freedom of member nations. I believe this will increase the chance of gaining support from not only those who find the original resolution in need for an improvement, but also other member nations who may not be satisfied with the passed resolution at all.

Kranostav
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 am

In support per the IFV I released during the vote of the target resolution
Non-compliance is lame and you should feel bad
The meddling WA Kid of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:11 am

"I have added more clauses detailing further loopholes within the resolution."

North Johen Ezermard wrote:You may include the harms of banning private prisons instead of just stating the flaws of the original resolution, such as the fact that it limits the economic freedom of member nations. I believe this will increase the chance of gaining support from not only those who find the original resolution in need for an improvement, but also other member nations who may not be satisfied with the passed resolution at all.

"In repeals, it is better to point out the objective errors within the resolution being repealed to garner more support."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:31 am

"Support in the hopes of a proper ban
You should write it yourself, if you can
Might ask the author if they'd be willing
To re-consider their text and helping
If not, take notice of the opposition
As you'll need to change their disposition."

OOC: Blame UM for the rhyming. He encouraged me. :P
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Araraukar wrote:"Support in the hopes of a proper ban
You should write it yourself, if you can
Might ask the author if they'd be willing
To re-consider their text and helping
If not, take notice of the opposition
As you'll need to change their disposition."

OOC: Blame UM for the rhyming. He encouraged me. :P

"Unfortunately there will be no proper ban, this is a repeal only effort, the ambassador of CD can write up their own replacement."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:08 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:"Unfortunately there will be no proper ban, this is a repeal only effort, the ambassador of CD can write up their own replacement."

"You will likely find it harder then
As opinions do shift easier when
A promise is made to change the game
Whether it's real or said in vain."

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 28, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:23 pm

Tokiko Suou stepped into the chamber, rubbing her eye from the exhaustion of the day. One more session, then she’d be able to focus on something that wasn’t World Assembly resolutions for a little bit. “Ok, ok...” she said, examining the paper, before tilting her head in confusion. “Since when did this become a poetry session...”

”Anyway. I’m in support of the repeal, in hopes that a resolution that better enforces order might come along. That’s it. All I have to say. Not much else to it, really.”
This nation exists for fun and insanity, not to represent my actual views which are much more mundane and boring.
Also, I don't use NS stats. So please ignore them.
Current Status (yes, I'm bad at keeping this updated): Immaterial

TG me for a free cookie. May contain traces of hydrogen cyanide.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:48 pm

I am afraid that the idea of a "real ban" eludes me. Under any capitalist or mixed economic system, private industry will almost certainly play some role in the nation's prisons. The government, of course, has to award contracts for a wide variety of prison goods and services, including food, water, power, uniforms, beds, cleaning supplies, vehicles, security cameras, etc. There's hardly such a thing as a wholly public prison.

Marxist Germany wrote:Further Quoting clause 3 which states "Requires all member states and their political subdivisions, within two calendar years of this resolution's passage and in perpetuity thereafter, to discontinue their use of private prisons for the incarceration of individuals convicted of crimes and serving criminal sentences";

Observing that the aforementioned clause does not ban private prisons in member states but instead, allows them to operate as long as they receive criminals convicted in foreign non-member countries;

Concerned that the resolution does not prohibit private prisons in member states but only bars member states from incarcerating their own convicts in them;

I don't see the problem. If foreign nations want to send their prisoners to World Assembly nations, such prisoners, by virtue of their new residence, will gain World Assembly rights.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:54 am

Christian Democrats wrote:I am afraid that the idea of a "real ban" eludes me. Under any capitalist or mixed economic system, private industry will almost certainly play some role in the nation's prisons. The government, of course, has to award contracts for a wide variety of prison goods and services, including food, water, power, uniforms, beds, cleaning supplies, vehicles, security cameras, etc. There's hardly such a thing as a wholly public prison.

(OOC: Although private services will play an important role in public prisons, and it would be silly to legislate otherwise, there is not a need for indefinite leases, or 49.95% ownership structures, to be permitted. The current legislation is extremely easy to loophole, since you don’t ban the aforementioned practices.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 am

Christian Democrats wrote:I don't see the problem. If foreign nations want to send their prisoners to World Assembly nations, such prisoners, by virtue of their new residence, will gain World Assembly rights.

OOC: But are they "inhabitants" if they're held against their will and are citizens of a foreign nation?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:46 am

Given the ruling in International Immigration Standard, CD is correct.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:23 am

"I would like to submit this in 2 days if there aren't any glaring issues left to address."

The Great Boom
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Boom » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:51 pm

The loophole regarding clause three of the original is really concerning. Here's hoping that the replacement bars ALL private operation of prisons. Whether it's one contracted service, full ownership, or anything in between.

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:32 am

Araraukar wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:I don't see the problem. If foreign nations want to send their prisoners to World Assembly nations, such prisoners, by virtue of their new residence, will gain World Assembly rights.

OOC: But are they "inhabitants" if they're held against their will and are citizens of a foreign nation?

OOC: If you are vacationing abroad and commit a crime and arrested you are neither a resident of that country nor a citizen during your incarceration. In fact, RL international law acknowledges this by mandating that foreigners so arrested be allowed to make privileged calls the consulate of their country of citizenship in addition to any rights to legal council afforded to the arresting nation’s citizens and residents.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:34 pm

No thanks.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives