NATION

PASSWORD

[RESUMED] Repeal: “Affordable Transgender Hormone Therapy”

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:27 pm

All replies OOC.

Youssath wrote:Alarmed at the resolution's lack of clarity on affordable hormone therapy on all consenting individuals, including those medically unfit or ineligible to receive it

Such as...who, exactly?

Youssath wrote:Worried that the resolution fails to tackle any misinformation that transgenders are signing up for, and its long-term implications and side effects

Misinformation? Such as what? What specifically are you referring to here?

Youssath wrote:Regretting that the resolution fails to cover that hormone therapy is simply a temporary measure, and that continued hormone therapy is required for transgenders similar to that of medication

This is contradictory. How is it a "temporary measure" if it can be continued...? Your argument makes no sense here.

Youssath wrote:Further regretting that the resolution does not address nations with different religious practices or values

Irrelevant. WA Resolutions are binding on all members.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:16 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I've got multiple chapters on state capture and public choice in my textbooks. Turns out government, state-owned enterprises, etc aren't always the best.

OOC: Funnily enough, in Finland (mostly public healthcare with affordable pricing and with a state welfare system to ensure you can afford it even if you otherwise couldn't) you have to go out of your way to die of something easily curable/fixable, and do not end up in life-long debt, if you need to get treated for something that requires surgeries and expensive treatments. Whereas in USA (mostly for-profit healthcare with no welfare systems worth mentioning) ^that is all too easy and happens to a lot of people all the time.

So in terms of healthcare, reality would like to disagree with you.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:19 am

Ara, aren't always the best doesn't mean never effective.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Ara, aren't always the best doesn't mean never effective.

OOC: So why do you even post here?
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

OOC

Postby Grenartia » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:40 am

Youssath wrote:Given the confusion of the referral of the drafts, I have decided to place the most relevant draft in the front post.

Acknowledging that Affordable Transgender Hormone Therapy legalizes affordable hormone therapy to transgender individuals,

Understanding that the Affordable Transgender Hormone Therapy aims to resolve the distress of gender dysphoria,

Alarmed at the resolution's lack of clarity on affordable hormone therapy on all consenting individuals,

"Lack of clarity"? :eyebrow:

including those medically unfit or ineligible to receive it,

The WA has member nations that are of tech levels that would conceivably have alternatives that are just as effective as RL (or even moreso). Also, the target resolution does not mandate anyone receive any treatment. Simply that it be available, affordable, not unreasonably restricted, and not forced on anyone.

Worried that the resolution fails to tackle any misinformation

Misinformation such as...?

that transgenders

You shouldn't express concern for the health and safety of a group of people (even if it's fake concern) and refer to them with backwards terminology.

are signing up for, and its long-term implications and side effects,

This is all covered by the phrase "consenting individuals" in the resolution.

Regretting that the resolution fails to cover that hormone therapy is simply a temporary measure, and that continued hormone therapy is required for transgenders similar to that of medication,

And...? That's like criticizing an education resolution because it doesn't cover the fact that 2+2=4.

Further regretting that the resolution does not address nations with different religious practices or values,

"Different religious practices or values" do not justify civil rights abuses, and if those nations don't like that, they can always leave the WA.

Noting that the resolution failed to recognize the consequences of hormone therapy to a transgender minor, and that it can negatively impact the child's puberty and developmental stages should he/she chooses not to follow through his/her hormone therapy course,

Again, covered by "consenting individuals".

Further noting that the resolution fails to address transgenders living in poor infrastructural zones, and that specialized medical services such as hormonal therapy may be unavailable to them,

Only failed states would have that level of structural inability. Although, one could argue this to be a way of implementing creative noncompliance. And I'm pretty sure there's some low-numbered resolution that helps fund medical aid in underdeveloped countries and the like.

Calling for a more articulate and well-thought out resolution to better clarify and serve transgenders with gender dysphoria.

Translation: no new resolution at all. At least be honest about your intentions with this repeal.

The current one does everything one could possibly reasonably want it to do (unless one hates trans people), and I challenge everyone who supports repealing it to draft a better replacement before even drafting a repeal.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Lichpocalypsis
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

The simple opinion

Postby Lichpocalypsis » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:21 am

The Chief Prosecutor of Empire of Lichpocalypsis and the Chairman of the Attorney League are agreeing with presented contradictions of resolution in question.

We are lending our support to this repeal.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:34 am

Araraukar wrote:Additionally, if you think that WHA help accounts for hormone therapy in nations too poor to arrange it otherwise, then the argument that nations can be too poor to arrange it, is... null.
OOC
What I was saying is:
1. Some people have complained that the passage of ATHT will require their nations to raise taxes in order to make these treatments “affordable”.
2. Some people have rejected those complaints on the basis that earlier GA legislation already effectively requires the member nations to make the substances available for other purposes, meaning that they must have had “affordable” supplies already available before ATHT was passed.
3. In the case of those earlier supplies, however, in some member nations that affordability might have been possible only due to the WHA funding for medicines available to poor nations under that same earlier legislation.
4. Some people, including ATHT’s author Morover, expressed concern that the wording of that earlier legislation might not guarantee the availability of WHA-funded hormones for this purpose, because it would be counted as insufficiently essential, and that some member nations might respond to that lack of WHA funding by not making the hormones available for this purpose… which was actually one of the reasons why the drafting & passage of ATHT was considered necessary by them.
5. If those people were correct about the risk that the WHA would not help member nations to acquire the hormones for this purpose, then the availability of WHA-subsidized hormone supplies for other purposes is irrelevant. No WHA contribution towards making the hormones “affordable” for this purpose specifically, rather than for purposes that it considers more essential, means that as the price of making the hormones wanted for this purpose would therefore fall solely on the nations themselves (unless some nations are going to divert WHA-funded supplies illegally from the uses for which the WHA did approve that funding to this use instead, of course…) it could require [slightly] higher taxation to pay for the subsidy needed in order to bring the cost within would-be consumers’ budgets.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 am

Grenartia wrote:
Youssath wrote:Calling for a more articulate and well-thought out resolution to better clarify and serve transgenders with gender dysphoria.

Translation: no new resolution at all. At least be honest about your intentions with this repeal.

OOC: Tbh I thought exactly the same when I read that.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Bears Armed wrote:OOC What I was saying is:
1. Some people have complained that the passage of ATHT will require their nations to raise taxes in order to make these treatments “affordable”.

5. ...it could require [slightly] higher taxation to pay for the subsidy needed in order to bring the cost within would-be consumers’ budgets.

OOC: Could =/= must. But if the OP has the most current draft, it doesn't mention taxes at all. It just complains of not understanding the word "affordable", not understanding "consenting", moaning about not being allowed to use religion as a reason to discriminate, not - again - understanding "consenting" and not understanding the concept of hormone therapy in practice (there's no reason to have "specialized medical services" at all).

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly