NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONDED] Furtherment of Education

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:38 am

I see no reason why you need to create a separate type of schools for this. If you want students to benefit, why not implement this on all schools in the WA?

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:49 am

East Meranopirus wrote:I see no reason why you need to create a separate type of schools for this. If you want students to benefit, why not implement this on all schools in the WA?

I beleive that it would infringe on the rights of all countries to operate educational facilities in their countries, the difference in my resolutiuon and this argument is just what you are suggesting that I remove. The ability for the country to operate educational facilities as they see fit.

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:06 am

United Civil Republic wrote:
East Meranopirus wrote:I see no reason why you need to create a separate type of schools for this. If you want students to benefit, why not implement this on all schools in the WA?

I beleive that it would infringe on the rights of all countries to operate educational facilities in their countries, the difference in my resolutiuon and this argument is just what you are suggesting that I remove. The ability for the country to operate educational facilities as they see fit.

Under your line of reasoning, forcing countries to operate a certain type of school, even if it's not for all schools, would also be infringing their rights. Especially since it literally lets the committee force governments to spend a certain amount of money on this thing.
Last edited by East Meranopirus on Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 am

East Meranopirus wrote:

Under your line of reasoning, forcing countries to operate a certain type of school, even if it's not for all schools, would also be infringing their rights. Especially since it literally lets the committee force governments to spend a certain amount of money on this thing.

I believe that the partial sacrifice of a nation's rights is necessary for the betterment of society.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 am

OOC: This was submitted. I can't for the life of me see any operative clause in it and have marked it illegal as such.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:09 am

United Civil Republic wrote:theoretically the committee would be culturualy diverse. That is as much as I can say without trying to meta-game my resolution.

OOC: Actually, that would violate the commmittee rule.

In places the proposal sentences are not constructed in the way English sentences are, or simply don't make sense. Is English your first language?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:26 am

Well, I knew you would rush to resubmit it. Let me be the first to tell you that's a very bad idea. For your information, most resolutions take at least weeks, a lot of them months, from start to completion. Your proposal has multiple problems, the most important one being it's illegal. Judging from what you have said in this thread, I'm inclined to believe that you thought people are only objecting your proposal on principle, believing it's unnecessary or something of the sort, and don't actually have anything to criticize over your actual text. Well, unfortunately your proposal is, first and foremost, not written to the normal General Assembly standard (I suggest you look at passed resolutions to get an idea of what the standard is), as well as having problems with wording and structure. There's also issues with implementation etc, which people would have pointed out if they believed it was a viable proposal and looked at the specifics. Unfortunately, as most people understand it's not a viable proposal, they simply are trying to tell you why it's not viable and prevent you from wasting time. Now to respond to your statement:
United Civil Republic wrote:I believe that the partial sacrifice of a nation's rights is necessary for the betterment of society.

Anything that compels a nation to spend money on something is undoubtedly more of an "infringement" than implementing standards with something like the curriculum.
Last edited by East Meranopirus on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:32 am

East Meranopirus wrote:For your information, the fastest that a passed resolution has gone from scratch to submission is about a month.

OOC: Untrue, but the rest of what you say is valid.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:34 am

Araraukar wrote:
East Meranopirus wrote:For your information, the fastest that a passed resolution has gone from scratch to submission is about a month.

OOC: Untrue, but the rest of what you say is valid.

Oh right, I suppose. But those tend to be from the more experienced authors, and even some of them still take months. But I was trying to make a point. I'll change it.
Last edited by East Meranopirus on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: This was submitted. I can't for the life of me see any operative clause in it and have marked it illegal as such.

Please see the third line and tell me what I could have improved as the operative clause.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: This was submitted. I can't for the life of me see any operative clause in it and have marked it illegal as such.

Please see the third line and tell me what I could have improved as the operative clause.

(OOC: Currently, member nations are not required or encouraged to do anything. Merely allowing them to do something is not sufficient.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Youssath
Envoy

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Youssath » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:53 pm

IC: "What?", the Youssathian Ambassador exclaims, spitting his coffee as he slowly recomposes himself. "You want to implement a second educational system on top of the old one for non-traditional learning? Jolly, it would surely blow our national budget out of proportion!". The Ambassador laughs, before taking another sip of his coffee. "May I suggest an articulation on how these schools actually work, and what the students are supposed to achieve upon graduation? For me, I certainly fear the social stigma coming from the 'World School education system' since it feels more grandeur, especially those smart nerdy computer geeks!"

OOC: I wouldn't foresee this draft moving forward if it maintains at this pace of progress. As much as this idea seems well-articulated and such, you will need to remember that these are international laws you are writing, not your own national laws. Having to write international laws and insisting on your course of interpretation only sets to isolate your own thinking as nations around you do not wish to ratify a law if they have no say in it and that it impedes its precedent. As such, I think this will need to head back to the drawing board for further review.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Youssath wrote:IC: "What?", the Youssathian Ambassador exclaims, spitting his coffee as he slowly recomposes himself. "You want to implement a second educational system on top of the old one for non-traditional learning? Jolly, it would surely blow our national budget out of proportion!". The Ambassador laughs, before taking another sip of his coffee. "May I suggest an articulation on how these schools actually work, and what the students are supposed to achieve upon graduation? For me, I certainly fear the social stigma coming from the 'World School education system' since it feels more grandeur, especially those smart nerdy computer geeks!"

OOC: I wouldn't foresee this draft moving forward if it maintains at this pace of progress. As much as this idea seems well-articulated and such, you will need to remember that these are international laws you are writing, not your own national laws. Having to write international laws and insisting on your course of interpretation only sets to isolate your own thinking as nations around you do not wish to ratify a law if they have no say in it and that it impedes its precedent. As such, I think this will need to head back to the drawing board for further review.

In reply to the Ambassador's concerns, the young, blonde assistant to the Representative replies, "While your concerns have been noted, please realize that we did not want to impede on the right of the committee to form the schools in a way that it would see fit."

OOC: I understand where you are coming from, but it is my idea that the committee would design the system in the way that you are looking at it. I am going to correct a bit of wording to identify that now. Please check article 2 at your next convenience for the change.
Last edited by United Civil Republic on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Youssath wrote:IC: "What?", the Youssathian Ambassador exclaims, spitting his coffee as he slowly recomposes himself. "You want to implement a second educational system on top of the old one for non-traditional learning? Jolly, it would surely blow our national budget out of proportion!". The Ambassador laughs, before taking another sip of his coffee. "May I suggest an articulation on how these schools actually work, and what the students are supposed to achieve upon graduation? For me, I certainly fear the social stigma coming from the 'World School education system' since it feels more grandeur, especially those smart nerdy computer geeks!"

In reply to the Ambassador's concerns, the young, blonde assistant to the Representative replies, "While your concerns have been noted, please realize that we did not want to impede on the right of the committee to form the schools in a way that it would see fit."

OOC: I understand where you are coming from, but it is my idea that the committee would design the system in the way that you are looking at it. I am going to correct a bit of wording to identify that now. Please check article 2 at your next convenience for the change.

OOC: I have reveiwed my resolution, added a clause and I will now ask for any assitance that you are willing to provide in stating that the matters that you have addressed are matters of the committee and not of the resolution itself.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Kenmoria wrote:

(OOC: Currently, member nations are not required or encouraged to do anything. Merely allowing them to do something is not sufficient.)

Ok. I will correct that line for clarification purposes.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Araraukar wrote:
United Civil Republic wrote:theoretically the committee would be culturualy diverse. That is as much as I can say without trying to meta-game my resolution.

OOC: Actually, that would violate the commmittee rule.

In places the proposal sentences are not constructed in the way English sentences are, or simply don't make sense. Is English your first language?

OOC: That's why I don't include it.

Also, if you would include examples of your claim, and yes English is my first language.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Actually, that would violate the commmittee rule.

Also, if you would include examples of your claim, and yes English is my first language.

OOC: Presumably sentences like 'An example of non-traditional learning techniques as used in this document, is a physics course that focuses on how to algebraic skills to create formulas to demonstrate theories.' or 'Finance is not used to describe how much should be allotted, but where it is allotted from.'
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:24 pm

The New Nordic Union wrote:

OOC: Presumably sentences like 'An example of non-traditional learning techniques as used in this document, is a physics course that focuses on how to algebraic skills to create formulas to demonstrate theories.' or 'Finance is not used to describe how much should be allotted, but where it is allotted from.'

OOC: Please clarify how those examples break the constraints of the English language?

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:31 pm

The New Nordic Union wrote:

OOC: Please clarify how those examples break the constraints of the English language?

OOC:
'focuses on how to algebraic skills' is clearly missing a verb, like 'use' or 'employ'.

The latter may be a correct sentence, grammatically, but not regarding its contents: Of course finance is not used to describe these things, as finance is the management of large amounts of money, especially by governments or large companies if used as a noun, or to provide funding, when used as a verb. It does not describe.

But maybe Ara had other examples in mind, as well.
Last edited by The New Nordic Union on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:30 pm

"Focuses" is a verb.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:50 pm

United Civil Republic wrote:"Focuses" is a verb.

OOC: But there should be another verb after "how to".
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:57 pm

Araraukar wrote:
United Civil Republic wrote:"Focuses" is a verb.

OOC: But there should be another verb after "how to".

I did miss the word use. Thank you for commenting. I will make sure to get that corrected.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:26 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: But there should be another verb after "how to".

I did miss the word use. Thank you for commenting. I will make sure to get that corrected.

OOC: This still makes no sense:
Finance is not used to describe how much should be allotted, but where it is allotted from.

"Finance" is not used to describe anything, as it's a noun, not an adjective. The umbrella clause uses the verb form but if you were referring to that, the base form would be "to finance", and still wouldn't be an adjective. Also, even if the grammar was corrected, it would still make no sense, as you seem to be referring to funding, not financing. And even then there's no "allotted from" anywhere else that I can see, so the subclause is referring to something that isn't mentioned.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 pm

Araraukar wrote:
United Civil Republic wrote:I did miss the word use. Thank you for commenting. I will make sure to get that corrected.

OOC: This still makes no sense:
Finance is not used to describe how much should be allotted, but where it is allotted from.

"Finance" is not used to describe anything, as it's a noun, not an adjective. The umbrella clause uses the verb form but if you were referring to that, the base form would be "to finance", and still wouldn't be an adjective. Also, even if the grammar was corrected, it would still make no sense, as you seem to be referring to funding, not financing. And even then there's no "allotted from" anywhere else that I can see, so the subclause is referring to something that isn't mentioned.

Thank you again for your wonderful comments. All of your concerns have been addressed. Please feel free to issue any others.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 pm

United Civil Republic wrote:All of your concerns have been addressed.

OOC: I don't see any improvement in the "finance" clause. Are you updating the draft in the first post?

There are also a bunch of other linguistic oddities.

First clause, "professional development that improves pedagogy and leadership" - what are you trying to say with that? Like, don't edit the proposal but explain as a reply post what the idea behind that is.

Not an oddity, but "should" in 2.A. doesn't actually establish the committee.

2.B., "curriculum that executes non-traditional learning techniques" reads oddly (as the curriculum is just a plan, it doesn't do anything on its own).

Which leads to 2.Ba. and Bb., which do not actually explain anything about the non-traditional learning techniques, as algebra isn't a learning technique, nor are the other study areas you mention in Ba. Additionally, I spent school years 7-9 as a guinea-pig for all kinds of "non-traditional learning techniques" because our school was one of the test schools, and they all sucked and made learning more difficult, especially for people who already struggled with the traditional ways. (Our history teacher got a great big hurraa from us when she decided to ditch them in her classes for years 8 and 9.)

2.C., "school year period" sounds odd. Don't you mean just "school year"?

2.Da., is the school partially funded by something else but the state (and use "state", not "government" and talk of "funding" instead of "spending", if you want more support for this)? If yes, where does the rest of the funding come from?

Article 3 has a weird headline, as national independence is not actually discussed.

3.A. is internal contradiction with 2.D.

3.Ab., if that's so, then where does the rest of the funding come from? Because if you say "WA", then you're lying in this clause as the WA's funds are collected from all the member nations, so nations would inevitably end up assisting in the funding of another nation's school.

Article 4 header, "addressment" is not a word.

4.A., should have "its" instead of "it's", mention of Regional specifically in that manner is a Metagaming violation (making this illegal), "assistance" is mis-spelled, and in general it's a really stupid idea that sets up poor nations to be in violation of this proposal if their neighbours don't want to fund them. And I would say that most non-WA nations wouldn't want to fund a hairbrained WA scheme, and you've literally excused WA nations from having to do so.

Also, this "World School" seems to have no curriculum that would agree with the existing requirements of an existing resolution, so might be contradiction.

Who would teach in these schools? Why should parents want to send their kids to a strange brainwashing cult of an experimental school that's not answerable to the nation they live in? Why do you think this is a good idea to begin with? Like seriously, why?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly