NATION

PASSWORD

[FINAL DRAFT] Sex Workers' Concessions Act.

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should this resolution come to a vote, how will you vote?

Yes, this establishes a sound policy that I agree with
25%
Yes, even though my nation morally opposed to prostitution we feel it is necessary to mitigate some of it's negative effects.
14%
No, we are opposed to prostitution and any resolution which might seek to legitimize it.
39%
No, we feel this doesn't do enough, or we think it should mandate universally legal prostitution.
22%

Total votes : 36

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:37 pm

Manticore Reborn wrote:
Aabceef wrote:2. Establishes the following immunities for any sex worker participating in the trade legally as defined under their member nation's laws,

a) No sex workers shall be levied any unfairly targeted tax on their income solely because of their profession.

The representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn objects to this section. This clause infringes upon our right to tax and raise revenue as our sovereign sees fit. Additionally, unlike spirituous beverages or other tangible substances there is no practical way to tax the service that is rendered; therefore an additional tax on the providers may be the best way for independent nations to regulate the trade.

OOC: I object to anything in the forum being listed as a "Final" draft. I don't think the draft should be considered final until it is actually in the proposal queue.

OCC: Fix'd

IC: The exact goal of this provision is to prevent nations from effecting a de facto ban on prostitution by exerting unfair or excessive taxes on the profession. This would force sex workers in a nation in which prostitution is de jure legal to move their services into the black market in which the trade would be unregulated and they would not benefit from the rights and protections of this resolution therefore defeating the purpose of this resolution entirely. The ambassador of Aabceef humbly queries the representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn as to how specifically we can add provisions that address your concerns without creating a loophole that could be used to undermine the rights of sex workers?
The ambassador of Aabceef humbly requests your excellency to shove it.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Your Excellency, just submit (first and/or jointly) that prostitution be legalized and regulated worldwide. This piecemeal strategy will get nowhere. Or just halfway there, which is worse.

L'Chaim,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:Your Excellency, just submit (first and/or jointly) that prostitution be legalized and regulated worldwide. This piecemeal strategy will get nowhere. Or just halfway there, which is worse.

L'Chaim,

I've already discussed my reasons for not doing this. I would not object to a resolution legalizing prostitution universally passing first, however I cannot make any definitive statements without first seeing the draft for your legalization resolution first.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Aabceef wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:Your Excellency, just submit (first and/or jointly) that prostitution be legalized and regulated worldwide. This piecemeal strategy will get nowhere. Or just halfway there, which is worse.

L'Chaim,

I've already discussed my reasons for not doing this. I would not object to a resolution legalizing prostitution universally passing first, however I cannot make any definitive statements without first seeing the draft for your legalization resolution first.

Sir, make whatever Your Excellency wants of the following statement:

This smells like political expediency. Passing a Resolution for Passing a Resolution's sake. Only to have Your Excellency's name in the Olympian Hall of Resolution Writers, if such a thing even exists.

In the process, leaving behind a world in a worse shape than what Your Excellency found it. For it is a fact.

It is distasteful, shameful, and an exercise in cowardice. Do it or do not. But do not try to do it by half and expect our respect.

Yours,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:17 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Aabceef wrote:

L'Chaim,

Sir, make whatever Your Excellency wants of the following statement:

This smells like political expediency. Passing a Resolution for Passing a Resolution's sake. Only to have Your Excellency's name in the Olympian Hall of Resolution Writers, if such a thing even exists.

In the process, leaving behind a world in a worse shape than what Your Excellency found it. For it is a fact.

It is distasteful, shameful, and an exercise in cowardice. Do it or do not. But do not try to do it by half and expect our respect.

Yours,

It would seem that given the results of the poll more people would be for universal legalization than I originally thought. I don't see why you place such great importance on glory and this so called "Olympian Hall of Resolution Writers". I frankly think that a legalization mandate being added to this resolution would be grossly negligible as it would leave out so many things that are required and couldn't be covered under human rights. I do not see prostitution itself as a human right, the ability to provide sexual services for money is not a human right. I merely seek to improve the conditions for states which seek to have legal prostitution as sex workers ARE humans and they DO have rights. I have added provisions in this legislation that would incentivize sex workers in nations where prostitution is illegal and whose human rights are being infringed to seek a different career therefore addressing their concerns. I believe these provisions for illegal sex workers would improve conditions for sex workers who are being exploited and welcome any suggestions to help strengthen these provisions. I do not see this resolution as a personal victory, if that were my goal I wouldn't have bothered to come on the forums and would've just posted the damn thing up as a proposal. I see this resolution as a victory for all of us especially those who contributed to it's formation. I appreciate any suggestions you have as to changes we can make to this resolution to help protect sex workers in countries where it is illegal or any other changes not related to the universal legalization mandate. If you ever propose a draft for legalization I would be more than willing to pitch in and help.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Sex workers are workers. Being able to seek employment, and earn income, is often considered a right within a capitalist framework. The right to support oneself, as it were. I do not see how sex work differs from other forms of work in this respect. So I do not see why HR wouldn't work as a category for the decriminalising of sex work.

Please note my use of decriminalising. It is different to legalising.
Last edited by Enn on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Enn wrote:Sex workers are workers. Being able to seek employment, and earn income, is often considered a right within a capitalist framework. The right to support oneself, as it were. I do not see how sex work differs from other forms of work in this respect. So I do not see why HR wouldn't work as a category for the decriminalising of sex work.

Please note my use of decriminalising. It is different to legalising.

This could work, unfortunately the same argument could be made for other illegal professions. If you wanted to use this argument you would have to decriminalize homicide work, as assassins are workers and all the same rights would apply. It is the moral imperative which drives some nations to ban sex work and as such they make decisions on which forms of employment are legitimate. The same slippery slope argument applies if you make it some feminist issue about the right to do what you want with your body. Such an argument for the legalization of prostitution would not hold up since it would necessarily have to open up the door to abortion, and we all know how horrendous the debates for those resolutions can be. Given such contentiousness a universal legalization mandate would be extremely unstable. I would not be opposed to a resolution legalizing sex work and that is why I specifically wrote this resolution to give any legalization or decriminalization resolution room to operate independently so that any changes, repeals, or failure to pass a universal legalization mandate would not cause sex workers the loss of their rights everywhere as well as adding provisions that would encourage legalization by establishing work programs in member states where sex work is illegal. I look forward to any draft for a universal decriminalization or legalization proposal and will actively participate in the constructive debate for it's refinement and submission.

Enn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Then we come to the harm argument. Does an assassin cause harm to others? Yes, that being the foundation of the 'job'.

Does a sex worker? Can you truly claim it so? If so, what harm is done? Sex workers have a vested interest in not contracting STIs, as being infected lowers their chances of working considerably. Are you to blame sex workers for adultery? Surely that is the client's responsibility.

How can you protect the rights of sex workers if their work is neither legalised or decriminalised?

When it comes to moral arguments, do not make the mistake of assuming that the only moral position is to oppose sex work.

I am fully aware of the moral arguments that have been made over issues such as abortion; I was present for many of them during the UN's time. I maintain that abortion ought to be decriminalised throughout all WA nations, but I doubt it ever will. That does not change my opinion that it should be.
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Enn wrote:Then we come to the harm argument. Does an assassin cause harm to others? Yes, that being the foundation of the 'job'.

Does a sex worker? Can you truly claim it so? If so, what harm is done? Sex workers have a vested interest in not contracting STIs, as being infected lowers their chances of working considerably. Are you to blame sex workers for adultery? Surely that is the client's responsibility.

How can you protect the rights of sex workers if their work is neither legalised or decriminalised?

When it comes to moral arguments, do not make the mistake of assuming that the only moral position is to oppose sex work.

I am fully aware of the moral arguments that have been made over issues such as abortion; I was present for many of them during the UN's time. I maintain that abortion ought to be decriminalised throughout all WA nations, but I doubt it ever will. That does not change my opinion that it should be.

I do not oppose sex work, in fact, earlier I made the argument for legalizing it on moral grounds. But that argument only holds up if this resolution is in place. I would be in full support of a sex workers' free trade act and look forward to supporting it and campaigning for it. I cannot make the claim that a sex worker causes harm, but I'm pretty sure someone morally opposed to it could. We cannot let such moral opposition stand in the way of doing what's right for as many sex worker's as we can by holding stubbornly to our lofty ideals, and being unwilling to compromise to bring about as much good as possible. By making this stand independently of a legalization mandate we would be doing just that. I look forward to the day when sex workers everywhere can operate legally, but unless we're willing to compromise with baby steps, I'm convinced we'll never get there. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Last edited by Aabceef on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 pm

From a wording point of view, you mention testing 'bimonthly'. That could be interpreted differently - twice a month, or every two months? If twice a month, then you'll run into the problem that HIV is undetectable within 6 weeks of infection, so having tests every two weeks won't tell much.

If you mean every two months, I would suggest changing the wording to make it clearer.
Last edited by Enn on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Enn wrote:From a wording point of view, you mention testing 'bimonthly'. That could be interpreted differently - twice a month, or every two months? If twice a month, then you'll run into the problem that HIV is undetectable within 6 weeks of infection, so having tests every two weeks won't tell much.

If you mean every two months, I would suggest changing the wording to make it clearer.

I meant it to say twice a month since weekly would seem too much to gain much support for passage and the standard for HIV testing in our nation is once a month and those controls have shown to be quite effective; not a single report of infection from our 20 year history since we've legalized and regulated sex work.

EDIT: New text reads "b) Sex workers must be regularly tested for all STIs/STDs at least twice a month, and positive results of such tests must be used as a condition for the termination of their sex work until the sex worker tests come back negative. The pricing or taxation of these tests may not be unfairly manipulated by government to impose an unfair burden on sex workers that would not be present for someone not participating in the sex trade." added some extra goodies in there.
Last edited by Aabceef on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:34 am

I'll admit, I really didn't read past the title on this one simply because I knew from the title exactly how I was going to vote on it. But now I have and I think you might have submitted this prematurely.
Aabceef wrote:DEFINING "sex work" as the act of providing sexual services in exchange for renumeration of a tangible benefit, and that the ability to participate in sex work, unless it be granted by an active WA resolution, is not itself a civil right.

Now, if I'm reading the bolded section of that clause correctly, you just said that nations can't make prostitution legal on their own which is wrong since there's nothing currently stopping a nation from making prostitution either legal or illegal.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:53 am

Flibbleites wrote:I'll admit, I really didn't read past the title on this one simply because I knew from the title exactly how I was going to vote on it. But now I have and I think you might have submitted this prematurely.
Aabceef wrote:DEFINING "sex work" as the act of providing sexual services in exchange for renumeration of a tangible benefit, and that the ability to participate in sex work, unless it be granted by an active WA resolution, is not itself a civil right.

Now, if I'm reading the bolded section of that clause correctly, you just said that nations can't make prostitution legal on their own which is wrong since there's nothing currently stopping a nation from making prostitution either legal or illegal.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Just because it's not a civil right does not in any way prohibit countries from legalizing it. Something doesn't have to be a a civil right for a member nation to legalize it. This merely clarifies the legalization issue as not something falling under the purview of human rights, but should the drafters of a legalization resolution disagree it allows room for a separate WA resolution legalizing all sex work in all member states to make it a civil right without having to contradict this one.
Last edited by Aabceef on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:19 am

My country's government opposes this proposal as currently written. We have problems with Sections 1 (c), 3 (a), and 3(b).

First, Section 1 (c) states,
c) The right of sex workers or their family members to not be discriminated by any openly available, private or public service provider and institution solely based on their profession shall not be infringed.

This infringes on the rights of private providers of openly available services to associate with persons of their choosing. Suppose a hotelier has a policy of refusing to rent rooms to known prostitutes, for fear that his or her establishment would become known as a venue for prostitution. Such a policy would be made illegal by this proposal.

Section 3, quoted below, is also problematic.
3. Institutes a set of regulations to provide for the welfare of sex workers.
a) Whenever servicing a client, a legal sex worker must always use all forms of sexual protection deemed necessary by the World Health Authority. This regulation may not be used politically to make sex work de facto illegal.
b) Sex workers must be regularly test cleanly for all STIs/STDs at least twice a month as a condition of employment.
This should be a private matter to be decided not by the World Assembly, but by individual prostitutes and their customers.

Furthermore, the twice-a-month requirement seems problematic for another reason. This assembly consists of nations on many different planets, each of which might have one moon, several moons, or no moon at all. How long is a month on a planet with no moon? On a planet with several moons, each of which orbits the planet at a different rate, which month should be used to interpret the twice-a-month requirement?

-Silvana Rossi
Ambassador to the General Assembly
Federal Republic of New Rockport
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:05 pm

New Rockport wrote:My country's government opposes this proposal as currently written. We have problems with Sections 1 (c), 3 (a), and 3(b).

c) The right of sex workers or their family members to not be discriminated by any openly available, private or public service provider and institution solely based on their profession shall not be infringed.

This infringes on the rights of private providers of openly available services to associate with persons of their choosing. Suppose a hotelier has a policy of refusing to rent rooms to known prostitutes, for fear that his or her establishment would become known as a venue for prostitution. Such a policy would be made illegal by this proposal.

a) Whenever servicing a client, a legal sex worker must always use all forms of sexual protection deemed necessary by the World Health Authority. This regulation may not be used politically to make sex work de facto illegal.
b) Sex workers must be regularly test cleanly for all STIs/STDs at least twice a month as a condition of employment.
This should be a private matter to be decided not by the World Assembly, but by individual prostitutes and their customers.

Furthermore, the twice-a-month requirement seems problematic for another reason. This assembly consists of nations on many different planets, each of which might have one moon, several moons, or no moon at all. How long is a month on a planet with no moon? On a planet with several moons, each of which orbits the planet at a different rate, which month should be used to interpret the twice-a-month requirement?

-Silvana Rossi

The first issue is addressed by the fact that this provision says discrimination based "solely on their profession" and not whether they are participating in sex work on private property. Such an issue is covered by any legislation in the nation that would forbid the use of hotel rooms (and any other private property) to operate a business, solicit or procure sex services without the permission of the owner. (OCC: I used to work illegally passing out fliers in hotel rooms i.e. soliciting. So even though hotels could not deny me entry because of my profession they could throw me out for conducting solicitation and business on their private property if they caught me in the act and effectively banning me from their hotel) This kind of legislation would work since not only is it not under the purview of civil rights, therefore not conflicting with this resolution, but it would not be targeted against sex workers since it would ban all businesses operating without permission. Offenders could be banned from the hotel or arrested for operating business on private property without permission and not be in violation of any civil rights. A majority of countries already have legislation like this and those who don't could easily pass it. Since it is private property the hotel owners can set rules on what their rooms can be used for, but not to whom they may be rented to if the person can pay for the room. Just like they can't ban black people from their hotels they can't ban sex workers seeking rooms for their intended purpose. The sti/std testing requirements would fall under the purview of the World Health Authority, please address any inquiries of the bimonthly requirement to the WHA. Ultimately I do not believe that these protections should be left between individual sex workers and their clients, as these protections are meant to safeguard sex workers against the market incentive to have unprotected sex.
Last edited by Aabceef on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:02 pm

Aabceef wrote:
New Rockport wrote:My country's government opposes this proposal as currently written. We have problems with Sections 1 (c), 3 (a), and 3(b).

-Silvana Rossi

The first issue is addressed by the fact that this provision says discrimination based "solely on their profession" and not whether they are participating in sex work on private property. Such an issue is covered by any legislation in the nation that would forbid the use of hotel rooms (and any other private property) to operate a business, solicit or procure sex services without the permission of the owner. (OCC: I used to work illegally passing out fliers in hotel rooms i.e. soliciting. So even though hotels could not deny me entry because of my profession they could throw me out for conducting solicitation and business on their private property if they caught me in the act and effectively banning me from their hotel) This kind of legislation would work since not only is it not under the purview of civil rights, therefore not conflicting with this resolution, but it would not be targeted against sex workers since it would ban all businesses operating without permission. Offenders could be banned from the hotel or arrested for operating business on private property without permission and not be in violation of any civil rights. A majority of countries already have legislation like this and those who don't could easily pass it. Since it is private property the hotel owners can set rules on what their rooms can be used for, but not to whom they may be rented to if the person can pay for the room. Just like they can't ban black people from their hotels they can't ban sex workers seeking rooms for their intended purpose.
The difference is that individuals are protected from racial discrimination by the Charter of Civil Rights and by my country's domestic law. Race is an immutable characteristic that an individual does not choose. A profession, by contrast, is chosen by an individual and can be changed. To create yet another class to be protected from private discrimination would place an undue restriction on our residents' freedom of association.

Furthermore, why should just one occupational classification be protected from private discrimination? If sex workers are protected from discrimination based on their profession, then why not accountants, secretaries, or punch press operators? To extend such protection to only one occupational classification and not others is itself a form of unfair discrimination against members of the professions that are not afforded this protection.
Aabceef wrote:The sti/std testing requirements would fall under the purview of the World Health Authority...
That's not what this proposal says.
Aabceef wrote:...please address any inquiries of the bimonthly requirement to the WHA.
The bimonthly requirement is in the text of the proposal, not in a WHA regulation. The law means what the law says.
Aabceef wrote:Ultimately I do not believe that these protections should be left between individual sex workers and their clients, as these protections are meant to safeguard sex workers against the market incentive to have unprotected sex.

Sex workers and their clients are smart enough to evaluate the risks and benefits for themselves. They do not need a paternalistic government to protect them from their own choices. Furthermore, this would create a consensual crime which would be impossible for governments to enforce without invading the privacy of their citizens.

-Silvana Rossi
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Nullarni
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:11 pm

I do not understand why you feel the need to sigle out "sex workers" for anti-discrimination. What about discrimination against lawyers, or postal workers? You are extending rights to a very specific group that are not necissarily granted to other just as valid groups. That in and of itself is discrimination.

I say that you should take the big leap and turn this into the "Workers' Concessions Act", and extend these rights and privledges to all workers.
Proud founder of the NEW WARSAW PACT. Visitors welcome.

George Hillow
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby George Hillow » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Laugh out loud (LOL), gay people working together? That is mucho disgusting

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:53 am

With slight difficulty, Deputy Ambassador Alexandria Yadoru stands from the Quelesian delegation's table, left hand over her pregnant abdomen, right hand holding a crinkled copy of the proposal in question. She wrinkles her nose in disdain.

"This proposal is a horrible idea, and I don't think anyone should approve it!

I mean, like, look at this phrase right here, it's really bad:"

DEEMS any form of sex work that does not meet the requirements of this resolution to be illegal

"Is this written by someone who really cares about prostitutes or by someone who wants to make it illegal? If this one is passed, we wouldn't have any way to pass one, you know, legalizing prostitution, unless this one is repealed. It contradicts!

I just think that, you know, we shouldn't be limiting our options here, especially when the plight of sex workers is, like, so important.

I just think maybe the author wants to limit our options."

Yadoru glares briefly across the room at the ambassador from Aabceef before clearing her throat.

"Please don't approve it! Thank you."

Yadoru lowers herself back down into her chair and takes a big gulp of orange juice, tossing the proposal copy onto the floor in front of the table.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Gordonopia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordonopia » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:59 am

I would never approve this resolution. Sex work is 100% illegal in Gordonopia. Engaging in this type of despicable practice constitutes high treason and is punishable by death.
President of the World Assembly Conservative Union. Founder and WA Delegate of Moralistic Autocracies .

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:07 am

Aabceef wrote: The exact goal of this provision is to prevent nations from effecting a de facto ban on prostitution by exerting unfair or excessive taxes on the profession. This would force sex workers in a nation in which prostitution is de jure legal to move their services into the black market in which the trade would be unregulated and they would not benefit from the rights and protections of this resolution therefore defeating the purpose of this resolution entirely. The ambassador of Aabceef humbly queries the representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn as to how specifically we can add provisions that address your concerns without creating a loophole that could be used to undermine the rights of sex workers?

The representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn is grateful for the expanded explanation from the Ambassador from Aabceef but humbly objects to the current revision of this clause and suggests the following change:

a) No sex workers shall be levied any excise on their income solely because of their profession excluding taxes, fees or other costs, including but not limited to, licensing, health insurance, union dues and other regulatory fees to insure no government will be responsible for subsidizing said trade.

Also, upon further review, and with the understanding that the honored Ambassador from Aabceef has also put forth a resolution to legalize the profession throughout the world, the humble representative from Manticore Reborn suggests the following changes to the opening of this resolution:

RECOGNIZING that each nation is an independent sovereign entity that may regulate trade and commerce within it's territory as it sees fit
DECLARES that the World Assembly may pass no law to infringe upon the right of member nations to legalize, decriminalize, regulate or criminalize sex work as it sees fit.
MANDATES that all nations who sanction sex work provide for their sex workers the following rights...

The humble representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn yields the floor.

Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Thirteenth Earl of White Haven
Last edited by Manticore Reborn on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 am

The honoured ambassador from Charlotte Ryberg cannot support a resolution that legalises prostitution in all member states. The issue should on our opinion be left to the member state to decide. We also note that the resolution "Ban on Slavery and Trafficking" should be sufficient enough to tackle sex slavery,

BUT, I must agree that there should be a resolution focusing on the tackling and awareness of sexually transmitted diseases. I cannot see how sex work is going to be the only cause of STDs, but this draft should focus more on tackling sexually transmitted diseases: which would be effective to member states whether they've legalised prostitution or not. Worth a try on that.

Yours etc,

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The honoured ambassador from Charlotte Ryberg cannot support a resolution that legalises prostitution in all member states. The issue should on our opinion be left to the member state to decide. We also note that the resolution "Ban on Slavery and Trafficking" should be sufficient enough to tackle sex slavery,

BUT, I must agree that there should be a resolution focusing on the tackling and awareness of sexually transmitted diseases. I cannot see how sex work is going to be the only cause of STDs, but this draft should focus more on tackling sexually transmitted diseases: which would be effective to member states whether they've legalised prostitution or not. Worth a try on that.

Yours etc,

Actually, Ms. Harper, if you read this proposal closely you'll see that it actually does everything but legalize prostitution. The author of this proposal intends to write a seperate prostitution resolution to legalize it, which considering the length to the draft of the other prostitution resolution could easily be included in this one thereby preventing the need for the WA to have to vote on two prostitution resolutions.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:16 am

Flibbleites wrote:Actually, Ms. Harper, if you read this proposal closely you'll see that it actually does everything but legalize prostitution. The author of this proposal intends to write a seperate prostitution resolution to legalize it, which considering the length to the draft of the other prostitution resolution could easily be included in this one thereby preventing the need for the WA to have to vote on two prostitution resolutions.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

The humble representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn would like to point out to the World Assembly representative for The Rogue Nation of Flibbleites to the recommended changes authorized by his government and ask for opinions from all members of this august body.

The humble representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn yields the floor.

Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Thirteenth Earl of White Haven
Last edited by Manticore Reborn on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 am

Flibbleites wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The honoured ambassador from Charlotte Ryberg cannot support a resolution that legalises prostitution in all member states. The issue should on our opinion be left to the member state to decide. We also note that the resolution "Ban on Slavery and Trafficking" should be sufficient enough to tackle sex slavery,

Yours etc,

Actually, Ms. Harper, if you read this proposal closely you'll see that it actually does everything but legalize prostitution. The author of this proposal intends to write a seperate prostitution resolution to legalize it, which considering the length to the draft of the other prostitution resolution could easily be included in this one thereby preventing the need for the WA to have to vote on two prostitution resolutions.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

We understand already that the draft does not affect the member state's stance on prostitution but our concern is that the draft is missing out on a very important topic regarding the awareness of sexually transmitted diseases like AIDS and HIV. Things like sex education to those who seek it and promotion of safe sex, etc.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly