NATION

PASSWORD

[FINAL DRAFT] Sex Workers' Concessions Act.

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should this resolution come to a vote, how will you vote?

Yes, this establishes a sound policy that I agree with
25%
Yes, even though my nation morally opposed to prostitution we feel it is necessary to mitigate some of it's negative effects.
14%
No, we are opposed to prostitution and any resolution which might seek to legitimize it.
39%
No, we feel this doesn't do enough, or we think it should mandate universally legal prostitution.
22%

Total votes : 36

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:53 pm

Krioval wrote:
Aabceef wrote:I would make the case that by having my proposed resolution pass first we could convince nations that prostitution can be legal, safe and humane by being model nations and leading by example. Passing the legalization resolution first would have political ramifications, as widespread unregulated and decriminalized prostitution among all nations would give the wrong impression and cause political backlash possibly setting back our goals indefinitely. The legalization resolution would very likely fail and whenever we try passing anything similar (i.e., my resolution) people will look at it skeptically and say "oh no, not this again". Getting my resolution passed will be arguably easier since it incorporates ideas that more people can agree with first. Then the nations will start seeing the huge difference that protected and regulated legalization makes versus those countries in which deregulated illegal prostitution is the standard. This will put those nations which illegalize prostitution in the negative light as being oppressors of the rights of sex workers and supporters of inhumane and unsafe conditions for their citizens. Not only would this put us on the high moral ground but this would also put enough pressure on some countries to on their own accord switch over to legalization. Then when the legalization movement has built up enough strength and we have enough of the swing votes we can go for the home run. It's comparable to the way the marijuana anti-prohibition movement in California has moved from medical marijuana to now on the verge of possibly passing a resolution decriminalizing it completely for all citizens :twisted: political strategy my friend :bow:

I would make the case that you should grow a set, politically speaking. It seems that you are in favor of regulating sex workers only where sex work is legal, completely ignoring the plight of sex workers in other nations, and that you are willing to ignore those individuals to score a passed resolution. Either the legislation is important enough to improve the condition of sex workers in all nations, including those nations banning sex work, or it shouldn't be proposed in the first place. Even in those nations choosing to prohibit sex work, those nations should be compelled to provide other options for those individuals to work legally. That might convince some nations to legalize and regulate sex work when faced with the bill for providing legal jobs for all the sex workers in their nation.

Also, we do not know of this "California" of which you speak, though many nations have names similar to "California". Are you suggesting that we legalize "medical sex work"? Somehow I doubt that that would fly. Besides, either do something that makes a strong impact or don't bother.

Aleksei-kan Volkov
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

OCC: oh crap, you just made a really good point. sorry bout the california bit. I'm really bad at rp. will think on what you said

IC: Would the esteemed ambassador make some specific suggestion as to how they would change the language of this resolution or perhaps even a draft of some of the provisions he would like to be added to protect sex workers in nations in which it is illegal? It is my belief that work programs like the one you speak of could run into many problems as it would go beyond the scope of this resolution (human rights) as well as having to defer to some of the already passed labor resolutions to make sure it wouldn't cause a contradiction or violation. It is my belief that many of the anti-prostitution member states would see any move on our part to subvert their jail penalties and replace them with prostitution rehabilitation and work centers as going too far and would gather enough opposition to defeat the entire resolution completely. :geek:
The ambassador of Aabceef humbly requests your excellency to shove it.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 pm

Aabceef wrote:prostitution rehabilitation

Oh please, that is just too patronizing; has it ever occured to Your Excellency some, if not a lot of sex workers actually enjoy their work, and not only because of the money? And what about religions that revere prostitution as sacred, where sex priests & priestesses are held in the most high esteem, as a conduit to the Gods?

L'Chaim,
Last edited by Sionis Prioratus on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:32 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Aabceef wrote:prostitution rehabilitation

Oh please, that is just too patronizing; has it ever occured to Your Excellency some, if not a lot of sex workers actually enjoy their work, and not only because of the money? And what about religions that revere prostitution as sacred, where sex priests & priestesses are help in the most high esteem, as a conduit to the Gods?

L'Chaim,

Dude, chill out, I wasn't even seriously considering adding this to the resolution. I was just asking exactly what it is the ambassador wants. Chill out ambassador.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:51 pm

Aabceef wrote:Dude, chill out, I wasn't even seriously considering adding this to the resolution. I was just asking exactly what it is the ambassador wants. Chill out ambassador.

*fainting in horror*

Honorable Ambassador, who is this person Your Excellency is calling "Dude"?

L'Chaim,
In the Name of
A simple truth

WA Mission of NERV-UN
Secretary

Founded: Apr 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby WA Mission of NERV-UN » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 pm

An, interesting, proposal to say the very least. I do wonder about this though:
b) No sex worker may be liable in any court, be it criminal or civil, for having provided sexual services to someone else's spouse wherever having consensual sex with someone else's adult spouse is legal. If extra-marital affairs are illegal in the sex worker's member nation then before charges can be brought it must be proven that the sex worker knew their client was married.

If I am reading this right, you are not actually doing anything. In Astan, having consensual sex with another's spouse is legal. If so, how could a sex worker be charged for doing so in any of Astan's courts? The second part seems to actually be affording some pretections that are acceptable.
Delegation to the World Assembly from the Protectorate Organization of NERVUN
Yes, I am a puppet

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:56 am

We agree with those of our colleagues who believe that all sex workers deserve these protections, not just those in nations that are willing to go to the trouble of implementing this resolution instead of criminalizing prostitution. We are in agreement with the spirit of the proposal, but would like to see prostitution legalized entirely; this proposal as written may make full legalization more difficult in the future.

I think the politics of the WA are such that a proposal outright legalizing prostitution would stand a very good chance of passage (unlike a proposal prohibiting the death penalty, for example).
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:02 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:Oh please, that is just too patronizing; has it ever occured to Your Excellency some, if not a lot of sex workers actually enjoy their work, and not only because of the money?
Is that what they tell you ambassador?

I jest sir. However, whilst I'm sure there is a minority as you described, you don't think that the vast, vast, vast number fall into the occupation out of desperation?
Last edited by Hirota on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:31 am

Hirota wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:Oh please, that is just too patronizing; has it ever occured to Your Excellency some, if not a lot of sex workers actually enjoy their work, and not only because of the money?
Is that what they tell you ambassador?

I jest sir. However, whilst I'm sure there is a minority as you described, you don't think that the vast, vast, vast number fall into the occupation out of desperation?

Oh yes, indeed I do Your Excellency; but I also believe automatic victimization is patronizing, and a form of deprive the ones who belong to that minority of their dignity as persons.

L'Chaim,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:40 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:Oh yes, indeed I do Your Excellency; but I also believe automatic victimization is patronizing, and a form of deprive the ones who belong to that minority of their dignity as persons.

L'Chaim,
Do you agree that every effort must be made to assist those who have fell into this occupation out of desperation or coercion? We can argue about the semantics about how that is going to be accomplished without annoying too many who enter the occupation out of choice - although I'd take the argument that it is fundamentally impossible to consent to prostitution, and therefore impossible to actually want to be in the career by choice.

Incidentally, Hirota maintained the law permitting prostitution since the pre-World Assembly days when it was enshrined in international law - although the procurement of such services remained illegal, as did solicitation. Happily I don't see anyone trying to address that.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:53 am

WA Mission of NERV-UN wrote:An, interesting, proposal to say the very least. I do wonder about this though:
b) No sex worker may be liable in any court, be it criminal or civil, for having provided sexual services to someone else's spouse wherever having consensual sex with someone else's adult spouse is legal. If extra-marital affairs are illegal in the sex worker's member nation then before charges can be brought it must be proven that the sex worker knew their client was married.

If I am reading this right, you are not actually doing anything. In Astan, having consensual sex with another's spouse is legal. If so, how could a sex worker be charged for doing so in any of Astan's courts? The second part seems to actually be affording some pretections that are acceptable.

In a country were it is legal to have sex with a married person one can still be sued by the person's spouse, this would put a stop to that.

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:57 am

Quelesh wrote:We agree with those of our colleagues who believe that all sex workers deserve these protections, not just those in nations that are willing to go to the trouble of implementing this resolution instead of criminalizing prostitution. We are in agreement with the spirit of the proposal, but would like to see prostitution legalized entirely; this proposal as written may make full legalization more difficult in the future.

I think the politics of the WA are such that a proposal outright legalizing prostitution would stand a very good chance of passage (unlike a proposal prohibiting the death penalty, for example).

The aim of this resolution is not to legalize prostitution, I've already gone over this. If you wish to do that you're more than welcome to try on your own resolution, however I would very much appreciate whatever suggestions you have of how I could change this resolution so it has some minimum protections for sex worker's in countries where it is illegal.

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Aabceef wrote:Dude, chill out, I wasn't even seriously considering adding this to the resolution. I was just asking exactly what it is the ambassador wants. Chill out ambassador.

*fainting in horror*

Honorable Ambassador, who is this person Your Excellency is calling "Dude"?

L'Chaim,

aren't you supposed to be unconscious after fainting? How are you still talking then?

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:12 am

Hirota wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Oh yes, indeed I do Your Excellency; but I also believe automatic victimization is patronizing, and a form of deprive the ones who belong to that minority of their dignity as persons.

L'Chaim,
Do you agree that every effort must be made to assist those who have fell into this occupation out of desperation or coercion? We can argue about the semantics about how that is going to be accomplished without annoying too many who enter the occupation out of choice - although I'd take the argument that it is fundamentally impossible to consent to prostitution, and therefore impossible to actually want to be in the career by choice.

Incidentally, Hirota maintained the law permitting prostitution since the pre-World Assembly days when it was enshrined in international law - although the procurement of such services remained illegal, as did solicitation. Happily I don't see anyone trying to address that.

Good point, how do you suggest we address this issue in the current resolution? I could see that defining legalization in terms of being a state that doesn't ban procurement and solicitation could be problematic since it creates a loophole. Any suggestion as to how to address this in this resolution? I think that this would have to fall under things to pass under a second resolution since it doesn't grant a sex worker any extra rights or protections.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 am

OOC: Why is this any of the World Assembly's business, rather than a matter that should be determined at the national or local levels instead? It hardly affects the interactions between this organisation's member nations, after all...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:24 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Why is this any of the World Assembly's business, rather than a matter that should be determined at the national or local levels instead? It hardly affects the interactions between this organisation's member nations, after all...

OCC: the same could be said of the Charter of Civil Rights.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:28 am

OOC: They are not the same. This is selective enforcement, of an issue which really has no international standing.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:OOC: They are not the same. This is selective enforcement, of an issue which really has no international standing.

OOC: Unless someone has built a brothel on an international border. ;)

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:OOC: They are not the same. This is selective enforcement, of an issue which really has no international standing.

:palm: OOC: how the hell do you propose this be enforced in countries where prostitution is illegal? It's impossible. And how can it have no international standing if many countries have legalized prostitution? Could you please cite the specific rules which make this resolution illegal? The resolution "Restrictions on Child Labor" doesn't require that the complying sweatshops that are affected by it's legislation be on international borders or that they be involved in international trade, it affects ALL child labor in "certain nations [that] may wish to employ or allow the employment of children". selective enforcement since it would only apply to countries that permit child labor. Have you read any of the previous posts in this forum?
Last edited by Aabceef on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Flibbleites wrote:

OOC: Unless someone has built a brothel on an international border. ;)

OOC: Soooooooo many bad jokes can be made here. Sooooooooooooooooo many.

Edit: Also, Grays Harbor, this could be said to have international standing. If you look at the RW (Shock and horror I know), there is a rather large sex tourism industry out there that causes problems between nations. This could be looked at from that angle.
Last edited by NERVUN on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Sex Worker Rights are Human Sentient Rights. Whilst I would prefer a stronger proposal, mandating decriminalising of sex work (for seller and buyer), this does look to have some promise.

Stephanie Fulton,
WA Ambassador for Enn
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 am

Aabceef wrote:2. Establishes the following immunities for any sex worker participating in the trade legally as defined under their member nation's laws,

a) No sex workers shall be levied any unfairly targeted tax on their income solely because of their profession.

The representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn objects to this section. This clause infringes upon our right to tax and raise revenue as our sovereign sees fit. Additionally, unlike spirituous beverages or other tangible substances there is no practical way to tax the service that is rendered; therefore an additional tax on the providers may be the best way for independent nations to regulate the trade.

OOC: I object to anything in the forum being listed as a "Final" draft. I don't think the draft should be considered final until it is actually in the proposal queue.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:33 am

Aabceef wrote:I'm attempting to put together a proposal that would afford sex workers, wherever prostitution is legal or not prohibited, a minimum level of protections.

This is the final draft. If you've already read the old one please review the changes made to this one. I've tried to keep everyone's suggestions in mind as well as doing some extra work to clean it up, but if I forgot somebody or something please remind me

You have failed to improve the lot of sex workers in those nations where their profession is illegal. Utterly and completely failed. That this draft is even being labeled "final" is a slap in the face of those sex workers whose lives will not be improved in the slightest by this hastily cobbled together proposal. One wonders if the synergy between the proposing nation's flag and the twentieth of April has imbued the author with a strong desire to partake in copious amounts of certain substances, and that the very obvious material defects in this legislation will be corrected once the drug-induced haze has receded. Until then, I oppose this.

Aleksei-kan Volkov

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:45 am

Krioval wrote:
Aabceef wrote:I'm attempting to put together a proposal that would afford sex workers, wherever prostitution is legal or not prohibited, a minimum level of protections.

This is the final draft. If you've already read the old one please review the changes made to this one. I've tried to keep everyone's suggestions in mind as well as doing some extra work to clean it up, but if I forgot somebody or something please remind me

You have failed to improve the lot of sex workers in those nations where their profession is illegal. Utterly and completely failed. That this draft is even being labeled "final" is a slap in the face of those sex workers whose lives will not be improved in the slightest by this hastily cobbled together proposal. One wonders if the synergy between the proposing nation's flag and the twentieth of April has imbued the author with a strong desire to partake in copious amounts of certain substances, and that the very obvious material defects in this legislation will be corrected once the drug-induced haze has receded. Until then, I oppose this.

Aleksei-kan Volkov

I already explained this and specifically addressed it at the bottom below my proposed draft.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:59 am

Aabceef wrote:I already explained this and specifically addressed it at the bottom below my proposed draft.

Oh, really? Let's see, then.

TO THOSE WHO WISH TO MAKE PROSTITUTION UNIVERSALLY LEGAL IN ALL WA MEMBER STATES, PLEASE DO IT AS A SEPARATE RESOLUTION. SUCH A RESOLUTION WOULD HAVE TO BE SPECIFICALLY DRAFTED FOR THAT PURPOSE IN MIND AS IT WOULD HAVE TO ADDRESS DIFFERENT ISSUES AND WOULD HAVE TO INCLUDE ALL SORTS OF PROVISIONS THAT WOULD NOT FALL UNDER THE CATEGORY OF HUMAN RIGHTS. THESES PROVISIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO TRADE REGULATIONS, CLIENT PROTECTIONS TO MAKE SURE THEY DON'T GET SCAMMED, LIMITS ON WHAT RESTRICTIONS THE GOVERNMENT CAN IMPOSE (e.g., can a government place restrictions not allowing sex workers to advertise publicly, can they place restrictions on where brothels can be built and if so how far can they go?). THESE ARE ALL MATTERS WHICH CAN BE QUITE CONTENTIOUS AND REQUIRE MUCH MORE DEBATE BUT DO NOT FALL UNDER THE PURVIEW OF HUMAN RIGHTS (perhaps free trade?). THE NEED FOR THESE SPECIALIZED PROVISIONS WOULD MAKE IT IMPRACTICAL TO CRAM THEM ALL IN TO MY PROPOSED RESOLUTION. THERE IS ALSO A DANGER THAT SHOULD THE LEGALIZATION MANDATE BE ADDED TO THIS RESOLUTION, WERE IT TO BE REPEALED SOLELY BECAUSE OF COUNTRIES THAT WISH TO NOT HAVE LEGAL PROSTITUTION, SUCH AN ACTION WOULD HAVE THE UNWANTED CONSEQUENCE OF ALSO TAKING AWAY THE RIGHTS AND PROTECTIONS OF SEX WORKERS IN ALL NATIONS INCLUDING THOSE WHERE PROSTITUTION WOULD STILL BE LEGAL. AS SUCH I HUMBLY SUBMIT THIS FINAL DRAFT FOR FURTHER DEBATE BEFORE SUBMISSION.

Now to paraphrase. "I don't want to deal with universal legalization". Doesn't address my point. "I don't want to deal with economic regulation". Fair enough, but doesn't address my point. "Dealing with anything in detail is hard". Yes, it is, and if you were really up to the task instead of glory hounding, you'd address my point instead of whining about how hard it is to do so.

You don't address the plight of illegal sex workers either in your draft or afterward. Is it because you don't care what happens to those individuals, or that you're too busy trying to get a passed resolution by pandering to the anti-sex work crowd that you didn't consider my earlier suggestion? In the case that it's the latter, I recommended clauses that would compel governments banning sex work to create opportunities for sex workers to change their profession - it should also eliminate harsh penalties for sex workers in those nations if they choose to cooperate with their national government on that issue.

Without mentioning anything that would improve the state of sex workers in those nations where such work is illegal, not only will I vote against this proposal, but I will reserve the right to actively campaign against it while it is on the proposal list.

Aleksei-kan Volkov

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Krioval wrote:
Aabceef wrote:I already explained this and specifically addressed it at the bottom below my proposed draft.

Oh, really? Let's see, then.
TO THOSE WHO WISH TO MAKE PROSTITUTION UNIVERSALLY LEGAL IN ALL WA MEMBER STATES, PLEASE DO IT AS A SEPARATE RESOLUTION. SUCH A RESOLUTION WOULD HAVE TO BE SPECIFICALLY DRAFTED FOR THAT PURPOSE IN MIND AS IT WOULD HAVE TO ADDRESS DIFFERENT ISSUES AND WOULD HAVE TO INCLUDE ALL SORTS OF PROVISIONS THAT WOULD NOT FALL UNDER THE CATEGORY OF HUMAN RIGHTS. THESES PROVISIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO TRADE REGULATIONS, CLIENT PROTECTIONS TO MAKE SURE THEY DON'T GET SCAMMED, LIMITS ON WHAT RESTRICTIONS THE GOVERNMENT CAN IMPOSE (e.g., can a government place restrictions not allowing sex workers to advertise publicly, can they place restrictions on where brothels can be built and if so how far can they go?). THESE ARE ALL MATTERS WHICH CAN BE QUITE CONTENTIOUS AND REQUIRE MUCH MORE DEBATE BUT DO NOT FALL UNDER THE PURVIEW OF HUMAN RIGHTS (perhaps free trade?). THE NEED FOR THESE SPECIALIZED PROVISIONS WOULD MAKE IT IMPRACTICAL TO CRAM THEM ALL IN TO MY PROPOSED RESOLUTION. THERE IS ALSO A DANGER THAT SHOULD THE LEGALIZATION MANDATE BE ADDED TO THIS RESOLUTION, WERE IT TO BE REPEALED SOLELY BECAUSE OF COUNTRIES THAT WISH TO NOT HAVE LEGAL PROSTITUTION, SUCH AN ACTION WOULD HAVE THE UNWANTED CONSEQUENCE OF ALSO TAKING AWAY THE RIGHTS AND PROTECTIONS OF SEX WORKERS IN ALL NATIONS INCLUDING THOSE WHERE PROSTITUTION WOULD STILL BE LEGAL. AS SUCH I HUMBLY SUBMIT THIS FINAL DRAFT FOR FURTHER DEBATE BEFORE SUBMISSION.

Now to paraphrase. "I don't want to deal with universal legalization". Doesn't address my point. "I don't want to deal with economic regulation". Fair enough, but doesn't address my point. "Dealing with anything in detail is hard". Yes, it is, and if you were really up to the task instead of glory hounding, you'd address my point instead of whining about how hard it is to do so.

You don't address the plight of illegal sex workers either in your draft or afterward. Is it because you don't care what happens to those individuals, or that you're too busy trying to get a passed resolution by pandering to the anti-sex work crowd that you didn't consider my earlier suggestion? In the case that it's the latter, I recommended clauses that would compel governments banning sex work to create opportunities for sex workers to change their profession - it should also eliminate harsh penalties for sex workers in those nations if they choose to cooperate with their national government on that issue.

Without mentioning anything that would improve the state of sex workers in those nations where such work is illegal, not only will I vote against this proposal, but I will reserve the right to actively campaign against it while it is on the proposal list.

Aleksei-kan Volkov

You've made some fairly good points as well as giving some more specifics as to what kinds of protections you would like to be added. I will consider this and attempt to address some of the provisions you mentioned as they are the first truly practical and specific propositions to protect sex workers in nations where prostitution is illegal I've heard which can actually be put to effect. I might have to change the title or even the category of my proposal, but as you said we also need to address the plight of sex worker's in countries where it is illegal, and your proposals are the first ones that have convinced me that this is practically possible to do in this proposal. I would respectfully like to inquire though, as to the strength of the mandate to create work programs for former prostitutes. This would be a social program that might hinder the acceptance of this proposal. It is one that I would agree we must implement, and I am fully committed to implementing it into this resolution, however should it be phrased as "encourages the creation of work programs" or "requires the creation of work programs"?

PreviousNext