NATION

PASSWORD

[FINAL DRAFT] Sex Workers' Concessions Act.

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should this resolution come to a vote, how will you vote?

Yes, this establishes a sound policy that I agree with
25%
Yes, even though my nation morally opposed to prostitution we feel it is necessary to mitigate some of it's negative effects.
14%
No, we are opposed to prostitution and any resolution which might seek to legitimize it.
39%
No, we feel this doesn't do enough, or we think it should mandate universally legal prostitution.
22%

Total votes : 36

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:03 am

Aabceef wrote:
Manticore Reborn wrote:
Aabceef wrote:
Manticore Reborn wrote:
Also, upon further review, and with the understanding that the honored Ambassador from Aabceef has also put forth a resolution to legalize the profession throughout the world, the humble representative from Manticore Reborn suggests the following changes to the opening of this resolution:

RECOGNIZING that each nation is an independent sovereign entity that may regulate trade and commerce within it's territory as it sees fit
DECLARES that the World Assembly may pass no law to infringe upon the right of member nations to legalize, decriminalize, regulate or criminalize sex work as it sees fit
MANDATES that all nations who sanction sex work provide for their sex workers the following rights...

The humble representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn yields the floor.

Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Thirteenth Earl of White Haven

SUch a provision would be so self-contradictory as to render the entire resolution ineffective.

The representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn does not see how this suggestion would be self-contradictory. The suggestions maintain the status quo within the world for the rights of nations to make their own laws in regards to the matter at hand. Furthermore, it give the nations the rights to regulate the "industry" according to their own principals as long as certain rights are guaranteed.

The representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn asks that the honored Ambassador from Aabceef expand upon their comment and show how my government's suggestion would be self-contradictory.

The humble representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn yields the floor.

Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Thirteenth Earl of White Haven

Giving such great amount of power to the nations to decide what laws to implement would defeat the whole point of this resolution. You can give the nations full autonomy while at the same time setting rights that they can't infringe, there has to be a balance and I've done more than enough to provide for that. Giving the nations full power to determine which regulations are necessary would not only create an optionality problem but it would also create a race to the bottom to see who can deregulate the sex trade more so as to bring in all the business at the expense of the sex workers.

The question of the legality of "sex work" should be left to the individual nations. The focus of this legislation should be to protect those people who have chosen to legally work in the "sex industry" and therefore set a minimum bar of protection and regulation. If nations chose to "race to the bottom" this legislation should set the bar low enough to satisfy all governments but high enough that "sex workers" are protect. I see no contradiction in that philosophy.

Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Aabceef
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aabceef » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:08 pm

Maul-5 wrote:Can't you space it out a bit? My eyes can't really see through that block of text.

If the proposal doesn't reach quorum, I'd advise the next one has more space.

Unfortunately I had to do that given the character limit. I'll be looking forward to reworking this proposal for resubmittal with a more active campaigning process for delegate approval. I recognize a lot of the objections and will be taking them into consideration.
The ambassador of Aabceef humbly requests your excellency to shove it.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!

Previous