NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Conscription Fairness Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:47 am

Cossack Khanate wrote:OOC: I would specify more on Clause 3b, because it may be within reason for nations to conscript, for example, Green Card holders during very dire emergencies. What are people’s thoughts on this?

OOC: ...or instituting a "serve or leave" kind of thing (and for IA and others, I'm thinking of like existential level of severity of conflict, here, where anyone not involved in the war effort being a drain on limited resources).
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Inhorto
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inhorto » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Araraukar wrote:Perhaps you or author can tell me if clause 4 means that if the war lasts longer than 4 years, you can't have the soldiers/sailors serving for the duration of the war, but instead a completely arbitrarily decided 4 years?

There are always new recruits and people into the population that can be brought into the army. As people who have fully served their four years leave, a new class of recruits will be able to take their place.

Oh and does clause 5 ban "rehearsal drills"? I can't dig out the English term from my memory right now, but like, say you are conscripted right out of school, serve your time, go home, have a life, and when you turn 35, you're asked to come back for a couple of weeks to rehearse the skills you learned during your original year(s) of service. The point being that if a war does break out, your soldiering skills will be more up to date than as forgotten as what was the capital of Zaire (which, I know, doesn't exist under that name anymore)

No, it only forces nations to budget their conscription time. For example, a country could require conscription from the ages of 18 - 20 (2 years), and then require each person to return for retraining every five years (25, 30, 35, 40, etc.) for a period of, say, three months. At that rate, a country could require retraining until the person is sixty for the maximum time period to be fulfilled. I can do the math in a spreadsheet if you are unconvinced.

Of course, your arguments do not consider that there will surely be many willing citizens who will gladly take up arms to defend their nation.

Cossack Khanate wrote:OOC: I would specify more on Clause 3b, because it may be within reason for nations to conscript, for example, Green Card holders during very dire emergencies. What are people’s thoughts on this?

Otherwise, this proposal is very interesting and, I think, non-partisan. Commendable.

Thank you. I oppose the conscription of non-citizens, but I do understand where you are coming from. I will consider it.
Last edited by Inhorto on Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commonwealth of Auratian Catholic States
Joseph Yu of the Unity and Consolidation Party (UCP), Former Prime Minister (1 May - 1 July)

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." — Albus Dumbledore

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:35 am

OOC
'Green Card' = RL Reference, = Illegal.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:41 am

"This gains my support."
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:16 am

Bears Armed wrote:
OOC
'Green Card' = RL Reference, = Illegal.

(OOC: I think Cossack Khanate was using that as an example, rather than suggesting adding that to the text.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:41 am

Inhorto wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Perhaps you or author can tell me if clause 4 means that if the war lasts longer than 4 years, you can't have the soldiers/sailors serving for the duration of the war, but instead a completely arbitrarily decided 4 years?

There are always new recruits and people into the population that can be brought into the army. As people who have fully served their four years leave, a new class of recruits will be able to take their place.

OOC: I don't think you quite appreciate the death/injury rate of new recruits compared to veterans, nor the fact that just putting a person in uniform and handing them a gun does not a soldier make. Or the fact that in small countries (think population under 5 million) you don't have an unlimited number of fresh recruits anyway, and in the cases where the actual nation's actual existence is threatened by the invading force, requiring nations to let their veterans go and replace them entirely with recruits would in essence mean the loss of the nation (or at least its independence).

No, it only forces nations to budget their conscription time. For example, a country could require conscription from the ages of 18 - 20 (2 years), and then require each person to return for retraining every five years (25, 30, 35, 40, etc.) for a period of, say, three months. At that rate, a country could require retraining until the person is sixty for the maximum time period to be fulfilled. I can do the math in a spreadsheet if you are unconvinced.

So it's the total (not counting war) time, then, not a "single serving". That makes a bit more sense, but still, why 4 years? What is the logic based on?

Of course, your arguments do not consider that there will surely be many willing citizens who will gladly take up arms to defend their nation.

See the bit about small nations above. And yes I'm sure many/most would be willing, but this is likely going to be problematic for you when this gets to voting stage.

Thank you. I oppose the conscription of non-citizens, but I do understand where you are coming from. I will consider it.

Would you consider the active wartime exception for the serving length too, please? You could even specify it for defensive war (nation being invaded) only.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Inhorto
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Inhorto » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Araraukar wrote:[-]

The wording is clunky and I will likely rewrite it, but here is a clause making an exception for purely defensive wars:
ALLOWS Members to retain conscripted soldiers for an indefinite amount of time if and only if that Member is fighting an exclusively defensive war wherein the territorial integrity of that Member is in grievous jeopardy;
Joseph Yu of the Unity and Consolidation Party (UCP), Former Prime Minister (1 May - 1 July)

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." — Albus Dumbledore

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:16 am

Inhorto wrote:
Araraukar wrote:[-]

The wording is clunky and I will likely rewrite it, but here is a clause making an exception for purely defensive wars:
ALLOWS Members to retain conscripted soldiers for an indefinite amount of time if and only if that Member is fighting an exclusively defensive war wherein the territorial integrity of that Member is in grievous jeopardy;

OOC: Use "member states" instead of "Members" (and don't capitalize it), but otherwise that's a good addition. Thank you. :)

Inhorto
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Inhorto » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:06 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Use "member states" instead of "Members" (and don't capitalize it), but otherwise that's a good addition. Thank you. :)

Inhorto wrote:Separatist Peoples capitalized "Member(s)" in his edits. I thought this was odd, so I looked through UN resolutions and they capitalize "Members" as well.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Inhorto wrote:*snip*

OOC: But we're not the UNmentionable organization for a good reason. Capitalizing Nouns that are not Names makes Text look weird.
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inhorto
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Inhorto » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Inhorto wrote:*snip*

OOC: But we're not the UNmentionable organization for a good reason. Capitalizing Nouns that are not Names makes Text look weird.

Sorry for the late reply, but on such a matter I shall hold my position.

La Montevideo
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 29, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby La Montevideo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
La Montevideo wrote:But Aren't You Forgetting About The National Security?

(OOC: The draft explicitly permits conscription, and lots of the groups that are prohibited from conscription wouldn’t be of much use anyway: the disabled, elderly, children and sick. Only those that have dependents could fight just as well, and the war effort would still be helped by the populace being looked after by them.)

Now I See Why.
La Unido Kingdoma de La Montevideo
We Base Our Nation Off Of Stats
Our Current PM Sucks
Basic National Info
A Class 1.142 Civilization according to this index.
Generation 40, the first time you see this copy and paste it to your sig and add 1 to the generation

Inhorto
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Inhorto » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Are there any other criticisms of this proposal?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:30 pm

“In clause 4b, I recommend adding that sailors should also be released upon reaching a friendly shore, if there is a reasonable way for them to return home from that point.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:32 pm

PROHIBITS all Members from conscripting: [...]

Citizens exempted by operation of diplomatic service,

'Why should this be prohibited by international law? Sure, it would be impractical and maybe not very sensible to do so, but if a member nation wants to implement such a policy... why should they not be able to?'
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:13 am

The New Nordic Union wrote:
PROHIBITS all Members from conscripting: [...]

Citizens exempted by operation of diplomatic service,

'Why should this be prohibited by international law? Sure, it would be impractical and maybe not very sensible to do so, but if a member nation wants to implement such a policy... why should they not be able to?'

“It harms international relations for one thing, and could be seen as very disrespectful if interpreted wrongly. I don’t see how the added military aid offsets the large possible global relations problems.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Drystar
Secretary

Founded: May 05, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Drystar » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:17 am

I’m curious how you arrived at the service time of 4 years? Also, you mention purely defensive wars, but for argument sake, let’s assume the defensive action holds out until the offensive negates itself. Are you then saying that a country that then shifts to an offensive stance to prosecute a final ending to the war has to release vast numbers of soldiers and retrain new ones to somehow fill their place?

Inhorto
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Inhorto » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Drystar wrote:I’m curious how you arrived at the service time of 4 years? Also, you mention purely defensive wars, but for argument sake, let’s assume the defensive action holds out until the offensive negates itself. Are you then saying that a country that then shifts to an offensive stance to prosecute a final ending to the war has to release vast numbers of soldiers and retrain new ones to somehow fill their place?

The four-year length was drawn from the approximate length of the First World War, which lasted a few months over four years. The purpose of the purely defensive clause is to allow countries to conscript soldiers who have already served the maximum four years if and only if that country is being invaded. The purpose of any conscription after four years would then solely be in the name of defending the territorial integrity of the nation under purely defensive terms. In this situation, yes, the country who would switch from defense to offense would be obligated to release those serving involuntarily. I see this as a good point, however, as it would discourage nations from prosecuting offensive wars.

Drystar
Secretary

Postby Drystar » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Inhorto wrote:
Drystar wrote:I’m curious how you arrived at the service time of 4 years? Also, you mention purely defensive wars, but for argument sake, let’s assume the defensive action holds out until the offensive negates itself. Are you then saying that a country that then shifts to an offensive stance to prosecute a final ending to the war has to release vast numbers of soldiers and retrain new ones to somehow fill their place?

The four-year length was drawn from the approximate length of the First World War, which lasted a few months over four years. The purpose of the purely defensive clause is to allow countries to conscript soldiers who have already served the maximum four years if and only if that country is being invaded. The purpose of any conscription after four years would then solely be in the name of defending the territorial integrity of the nation under purely defensive terms. In this situation, yes, the country who would switch from defense to offense would be obligated to release those serving involuntarily. I see this as a good point, however, as it would discourage nations from prosecuting offensive wars.

No war is “won” by being fully defensive. You have to be able to force a solution, other wise it just turns into one long bloodbath like the fore mentioned World War. I can’t see how releasing your veteran soldiers and bring up raw recruits will do anything but increase the carnage. Sort of a living (or dying) example of what not to do. Plus depending on the amount of technology involved, it takes time to train soldiers to use weapon systems properly, as a previous post mentioned, being a soldier is more then dropping them in a uniform and handing them arms. While I currently have no suggestions other the the comments I’ve made, I will watch the debate going on here, since service in my nation is a universal obligation for the majority of the population.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:19 pm

You can't win a war by defending. At maximum, it would yield a white peace.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Inhorto
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Inhorto » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:35 pm

Drystar wrote:[-]

Imperium Anglorum wrote:[-]

I don't ostensibly disagree with what either of you is saying; the only problem is that the line has to be drawn somewhere. The exception made here for defensive wars is to allow nations to garrison soldiers in situations wherein the territorial integrity of that country is under serious threat. Once the national territory is secured, if a nation wants to sue for an offensive war, that's their prerogative and their citizens are no longer obligated to fight on foreign soil if their time has already lapsed. If we just allowed all nations to conscript indefinitely during war, then this resolution would be toothless.

Once again, one must consider that there will certainly be willing citizens, arguably more than unwilling citizens, who would take up arms to protect their country. If there aren't, then I would think that that country should rethink why it is going to war in the first place, as well as what sort of authority it can actually command from its citizenry.

Drystar
Secretary

Postby Drystar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:39 am

Inhorto wrote:
Drystar wrote:[-]

Imperium Anglorum wrote:[-]

I don't ostensibly disagree with what either of you is saying; the only problem is that the line has to be drawn somewhere. The exception made here for defensive wars is to allow nations to garrison soldiers in situations wherein the territorial integrity of that country is under serious threat. Once the national territory is secured, if a nation wants to sue for an offensive war, that's their prerogative and their citizens are no longer obligated to fight on foreign soil if their time has already lapsed. If we just allowed all nations to conscript indefinitely during war, then this resolution would be toothless.

Once again, one must consider that there will certainly be willing citizens, arguably more than unwilling citizens, who would take up arms to protect their country. If there aren't, then I would think that that country should rethink why it is going to war in the first place, as well as what sort of authority it can actually command from its citizenry.

OOC: I’m assuming you paid enough attention to the mentioned world war that was defensive in nature on the western front. No decisions were made ultimately, which led to the next world war, where having learned their lessons, the allies demanded unconditional surrender and backed it by offensive actions. All sides used conscription because there were never enough bodies to fill the spaces, but the conscription was open ended, which gave the draftees incentive to finish the war. Only a very few want war, most want to finish it as quick as possible. By assigning a rather arbitrary time period as a limit, that promises to drag out the conflicts that you would rather not happen.

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:35 am

"My nation follows many these proposed rules. Our citizens serve 2 years of conscription and have the choice to stay voluntarily or go back to their lives. We will voting aye if this proposal comes to a vote."
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:You can't win a war by defending. At maximum, it would yield a white peace.

The US Revolutionary war, the war of 1812, and the Vietnam war were won by the team playing defense to name three wars. The Russo-Japanese war was a humiliating defeat for Russia, who declared war on the Japanese.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:00 am

Liberimery wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:You can't win a war by defending. At maximum, it would yield a white peace.

The US Revolutionary war, the war of 1812, and the Vietnam war were won by the team playing defense to name three wars. The Russo-Japanese war was a humiliating defeat for Russia, who declared war on the Japanese.

OOC: Also Finland in 2nd World War. (Well, "winning" is always a bit relative, but not getting annexed by Russia - which was Russia's goal - is counted as a win, despite the loss of some areas and reparations required.)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly