NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Rights of Religious Travellers

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:26 pm

"This proposal has our enthusiastic support. One of the core pillars of Brukean foreign policy is to protect the rights of religious travelers, and we have negotiated a series of agreements known as 'Treaties for the Protection of Ascetics, Clergy, and Pilgrims' with countries around the world. With that being said, we want to know whether or not ascetics who inadvertently travel will be protected from unnecessary attention from authorities- for example, institutionalization in a mental hospital."

OOC:

The Brukean ascetics in question are the bahtawi, Orthodox hermits that are described here... https://citydesert.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... -ethiopia/

A real hermit somehow made his way to New York in the winter and was taken to a mental hospital- that's what I'm basing this off of.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:14 am

United Massachusetts wrote:Further, and unrelated to SL's post, I shall ignore any comments insinuating that Christianity, or any other religion, is fundamentally wrong/imperialist/bigoted. Hatred deserves no reply.

OOC: Not one of the critics here even mentioned Christianity. It says more about your opinion of Christianity that you automatically assume we speak to Christianity than it does about us.

Hatred is exactly what the critics of this proposal are fighting against. You are ignoring that some religions, including parts of Christianity, preach hate and want to set a right of the NS version of the Westboror Baptist Church to travel the land "teaching about religious belief", even if that particular religious belief is obnoxious and fundamentally violent/wrong/bigoted/imperialist.

It's always worth pointing out once again, you're a hypocrite. It's on record that you do not follow all resolutions. Yet you want to pass resolutions that you expect everyone else to follow.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

The Galactic Supremacy
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 20, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Galactic Supremacy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:44 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Not one of the critics here even mentioned Christianity. It says more about your opinion of Christianity that you automatically assume we speak to Christianity than it does about us.

Hatred is exactly what the critics of this proposal are fighting against. You are ignoring that some religions, including parts of Christianity, preach hate and want to set a right of the NS version of the Westboror Baptist Church to travel the land "teaching about religious belief", even if that particular religious belief is obnoxious and fundamentally violent/wrong/bigoted/imperialist.

Oopsie. What do we have here? A militant New Atheist anti-theist? Let's be honest ambassador, tolerance — as much as it is a wishy-washy concept — appears to only be a matter of perspective. I mean, you don't seem to be very tolerant of the supposedly intolerant. Are ya now? At the end of the day, both you and your Heathen partisans, as well as the very religious partisans you claim to oppose, aim for one and the same. Compliance.

Just of different ideas thereof.

Though I beg your views much weight and esteem, I do expect you to return such a favor upon others, even if you may vehemently disagree. For isn't that the very core of your convictions? Of tolerance?
The Galactic Supremacy
"Through victory, our chains are broken. Our ambitions shall set us free!"
A 10.2 civilization, according to this index.
OOC: This User || Negative Income Tax

“God does not change the condition of a people unless they change what is in themselves.” (Quran 13:11)

Pro: Palestine, Free Markets, Free Speech, Negative Income Tax, Nationalised Banks, Land Value Tax, Universal Healthcare, Civic 'Melting-Pot' Nationalism, Social Conservatism, etc.
Neutral: The Australian Labor Party, etc.
Very Anti: Israel, Climate Alarmism, Militant Atheism, Goods and Services Tax, Fuel Excise Tax, Multiculturalism, the Greens, 'Teal' Independents, etc.
9Axes

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 28, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:54 am

Aozora Chiyumi, Supreme Overlady of All Reality, sighed as she stood up. She didn’t want to be here for this. But even more, she didn’t want this to pass. Allowing foreign missionaries to go spread their delusions to her nation so easily? A nation that, so tormented on the past by fanatics, was likely to take hostile action against such people even without any official order? She was not pleased at the possibility.

“Kyoki Chudoku is a nation that has suffered extensively at the hands of fanatics,” she began. “There is simply not any way to prevent violence on such occasions as missionary expeditions. The people don’t want them here. The police don’t want them here. I don’t want them here. And for goodness sake, define for me what ‘non-coercive’ means, or we’ll have cult leaders masquerading as missionaries all over the country, and I’m not shedding a single tear when they all drop dead for annoying some Nightmare veteran by indoctrinating a bunch of innocent children. I refuse the desecrate the deaths of 101 million people, of three fifths of our population, by allowing foreign fanatics free reign.”

She paused for a second. “I guess we quality for a place where it’s dangerous for them to work in, don’t we? Still opposed. But maybe this won’t end up as problematic as calamity as I fear.”
Last edited by Kyoki Chudoku on Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
This nation exists for fun and insanity, not to represent my actual views which are much more mundane and boring.
Also, I don't use NS stats. So please ignore them.
Current Status (yes, I'm bad at keeping this updated): Immaterial

TG me for a free cookie. May contain traces of hydrogen cyanide.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:12 am

The Galactic Supremacy wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Not one of the critics here even mentioned Christianity. It says more about your opinion of Christianity that you automatically assume we speak to Christianity than it does about us.

Oopsie. What do we have here? A militant New Atheist anti-theist? Let's be honest ambassador, tolerance — as much as it is a wishy-washy concept — appears to only be a matter of perspective. I mean, you don't seem to be very tolerant of the supposedly intolerant. Are ya now? At the end of the day, both you and your Heathen partisans, as well as the very religious partisans you claim to oppose, aim for one and the same. Compliance.

Just of different ideas thereof.

Though I beg your views much weight and esteem, I do expect you to return such a favor upon others, even if you may vehemently disagree. For isn't that the very core of your convictions? Of tolerance?

OOC: OOC means out of character. Don't construct in character replies to out of character comments.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Previous

Return to General Assembly