NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal GAR#8 "World Assembly Headquarters"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
User avatar
Jocospor
Diplomat
 
Posts: 563
Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

[DRAFT] Repeal GAR#8 "World Assembly Headquarters"

Postby Jocospor » Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 pm

This General Assembly,

Of the opinion that, as this World Assembly has dramatically evolved since the time of GAR#8's enactment, the parameters outlined within GAR#8 are insufficient, pertaining to the following:

  • This World Assembly's membership has increased near threefold since GAR#8's enactment;
  • GAR#8 makes no distinction between the General Assembly or the Security Council; and
  • GAR#8 is purely practical, and while supposedly its facilities are appropriate, it would seem to neglect any ethical consideration of World Assembly diplomats, including but not limited to:

    • circumstances involving those afflicted by disability;
    • circumstances involving those belonging to any particular minority;
    • circumstances involving those subscribing to the traditions and practises of various religions or cultures, those being either national or ethnic; and
    • circumstances involving World Assembly diplomats that are, for whatever reason, unable to work alongside other World Assembly diplomats;
Thus, reaffirming that GAR#8's World Assembly Headquarters are, vague and outdated for this World Assembly.

Furthermore, resenting the fact that international legislation can label its "envoys" as "drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, inmates"; albeit somewhat humorous, finding this claim to be most insulting, slanderous and unfounded, levelled against member nations whose staff have dedicated many hours to perpetuating the advancement of this World Assembly.

Hereby, for that advancement of this World Assembly, repeals GAR#8.
HAIL THE CONFEDERATION!
CONFEDERATION OF CORRUPT DICTATORS | OFFICE OF THE VICEROY | DELEGATE'S OFFICE
JOCOSPOR | FOREIGN AFFAIRS OFFICE


"Destroy democracy. End degeneracy. Love your Emperor. Thou shalt know no fear."
- Farland Macmillan, Grand High Direktor of the Empire, addressing the 3rd Imperial Cabinet

(All posts IC unless marked otherwise)

User avatar
Tinfect
Senator
 
Posts: 4663
Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Tinfect » Fri May 17, 2019 6:59 pm

OOC:
You can't mention the Security Council in a GA resolution, for one.

Two, clause three, honestly doesn't make any sense, are you trying to argue that the WA Headquarters is legally prohibited from having accommodations, or that it isn't required to? Either way, I don't really see it as a credible argument, assuming the builders have any sense, and we must, accessibility would be handled by the OBM, or by request by Member-States regarding their offices. Please stop trying to gain Social Justice points by hamfistedly shoving vaguely inclusive-sounding arguments into your legislation, no one believes you.

Your first argument, by the way, is, just silly, the number of Member-States is utterly meaningless as an argument.
Last edited by Tinfect on Fri May 17, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, Male
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, Male
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, Female


Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: Aeravahn occupy 1/5 of Exterior Territories, battered Third Fleet withdrawn from combat | Dejected Intelligence Operative enrolled in children's school, claims 'punishment for disobeying orders' | Experimental agricultural fungus accidentally released in New Kol, infects plant life, HLE teams deployed to remove infected plants | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Jocospor
Diplomat
 
Posts: 563
Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jocospor » Fri May 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Tinfect wrote:OOC:
You can't mention the Security Council in a GA resolution, for one.

Two, clause three, honestly doesn't make any sense, are you trying to argue that the WA Headquarters is legally prohibited from having accommodations, or that it isn't required to? Either way, I don't really see it as a credible argument, assuming the builders have any sense, and we must, accessibility would be handled by the OBM, or by request by Member-States regarding their offices. Please stop trying to gain Social Justice points by hamfistedly shoving vaguely inclusive-sounding arguments into your legislation, no one believes you.

Your first argument, by the way, is, just silly, the number of Member-States is utterly meaningless as an argument.

*the Delegate's Office passes glances, raises eyebrows and takes a collective breath*

Truly, we're touched for your overwhelmingly polite response.

The number of member nations is highly relevant. Unless you're willing to be quite imaginative - and, honestly, international legislation should leave nothing to the imagination - a building that was designed nearly eleven years ago when the World Assembly was ~9,000 nations strong fundamentally cannot support a World Assembly that is now about ~22,000 (we haven't checked the precise number) strong.

Regarding our ethical concerns, there is no direct stipulation within GAR#8 that covers any of what our repeal outlines. As GAR#8, for the most part, is comprehensive, we think it's safe to assume that the ethical and social workings of its World Assembly Headquarters were not properly (if at all) considered. Needless to say, they should be.

Lastly, this is the "World Assembly Headquarters." Last time we checked, the World Assembly comprised of both the General Assembly and the Security Council. Not mentioning the Security Council in this instance, then, seems preposterous. Could we please have many an opinion on this front?
HAIL THE CONFEDERATION!
CONFEDERATION OF CORRUPT DICTATORS | OFFICE OF THE VICEROY | DELEGATE'S OFFICE
JOCOSPOR | FOREIGN AFFAIRS OFFICE


"Destroy democracy. End degeneracy. Love your Emperor. Thou shalt know no fear."
- Farland Macmillan, Grand High Direktor of the Empire, addressing the 3rd Imperial Cabinet

(All posts IC unless marked otherwise)

User avatar
Araraukar
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12945
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri May 17, 2019 8:52 pm

Jocospor wrote:The number of member nations is highly relevant. Unless you're willing to be quite imaginative - and, honestly, international legislation should leave nothing to the imagination - a building that was designed nearly eleven years ago when the World Assembly was ~9,000 nations strong fundamentally cannot support a World Assembly that is now about ~22,000 (we haven't checked the precise number) strong.

OOC: We've all been roleplaying in it quite a bit longer than you. There are multiple reasons for why it works, but if you're not already familiar with the elasticity of "reality" when it comes to the WAHQ, then I don't think you've really paid any attention at all... :rofl:

IC: "I've never even heard of a security council. If a committee by that name needs to exist, I'm sure they'll be housed wherever the gnomes are housed. WAHQ is for diplomats and their staff."

OOC: The SC is an OOC construct, as far as GA resolutions are concerned.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri May 17, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.

User avatar
Tinfect
Senator
 
Posts: 4663
Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Tinfect » Sat May 18, 2019 12:03 am

Jocospor wrote:*the Delegate's Office passes glances, raises eyebrows and takes a collective breath*

Truly, we're touched for your overwhelmingly polite response.

The number of member nations is highly relevant. Unless you're willing to be quite imaginative - and, honestly, international legislation should leave nothing to the imagination - a building that was designed nearly eleven years ago when the World Assembly was ~9,000 nations strong fundamentally cannot support a World Assembly that is now about ~22,000 (we haven't checked the precise number) strong.

Regarding our ethical concerns, there is no direct stipulation within GAR#8 that covers any of what our repeal outlines. As GAR#8, for the most part, is comprehensive, we think it's safe to assume that the ethical and social workings of its World Assembly Headquarters were not properly (if at all) considered. Needless to say, they should be.

Lastly, this is the "World Assembly Headquarters." Last time we checked, the World Assembly comprised of both the General Assembly and the Security Council. Not mentioning the Security Council in this instance, then, seems preposterous. Could we please have many an opinion on this front?


OOC:
Please do not respond to out of character comments in-character.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, Male
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, Male
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, Female


Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: Aeravahn occupy 1/5 of Exterior Territories, battered Third Fleet withdrawn from combat | Dejected Intelligence Operative enrolled in children's school, claims 'punishment for disobeying orders' | Experimental agricultural fungus accidentally released in New Kol, infects plant life, HLE teams deployed to remove infected plants | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Kenmoria
Senator
 
Posts: 4581
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Sat May 18, 2019 1:25 am

(OOC: Mentioning the Security Council has been confirmed to be metagaming by a lot of precedent. The SC can mention the GA, but the GA can’t mention the SC.)

“All of the problems you describe are quite easily fixable. Disabilities can be accounted for, and GA #008 suggests they would be. The same applies to minorities and religions. Lastly, if somebody cannot work with other people, in my view, that is their problem. Also, I am certain at least three of the terms you describe as insulting apply to me, and debatably a few of the others.

Furthermore, there is the more obvious problem of what would happen next. How are we supposed to debate if there isn’t a place in which to do so? What about the many ambassadors who have been exiled or otherwise have no place to go to in their home nation? I’m almost certain a few nations exist entirely within the confines of the WAHQ.”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sat May 18, 2019 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 14225
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat May 18, 2019 5:04 am

Ooc: GenSec's first ruling was to declare references to the SC Metagaming violations. Best decision we ever made.

Visit the GA, land of populist elitists!


User avatar
Lord Dominator
Senator
 
Posts: 4310
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat May 18, 2019 8:29 pm

IC:"Hahahahahahahahahaha. No."
Osiris Vizier of WA AffairsDee Vytherov-SkollvaldrDeputy Forest KeeperLieutenant in The Black HawksWA Minister of Lazarus

User avatar
Dirty Americans
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 155
Founded: Jun 23, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dirty Americans » Mon May 20, 2019 12:31 pm

Jocospor wrote:The number of member nations is highly relevant. Unless you're willing to be quite imaginative - and, honestly, international legislation should leave nothing to the imagination - a building that was designed nearly eleven years ago when the World Assembly was ~9,000 nations strong fundamentally cannot support a World Assembly that is now about ~22,000 (we haven't checked the precise number) strong.


For the purposes of this discussion, I will consider your argument. However, there is nothing in the resolution that says "a building."

Establishes the World Assembly Office of Building Management (OBM), the duties of which shall entail:
- locating suitable real estate for the establishment of international headquarters for the NationStates World Assembly
- constructing and maintaining the facilities necessary to house these headquarters


Thus it is intuitively obvious to the casual observer (don't blame me here, Bill Nye, Science Guy, made me say that) that as the World Assembly has grown and advanced the OMB would be in a constant state of locating and expanding the existing facilities in order to house the ever growing population.

Now I understand that the roster of nations is indeed impressive. Unfortunately, with the establishment of electronic voting, half of the nations don't even have offices here. Out of that half, less than 1% actually take the time to debate. Yes you heard that right, we are talking abut a debating hall that needs to hold 120 people, half of whom are actually asleep and one ... right over there ... knocked over his pickle jar.
Dirty Americans of The East Pacific
Member of the Tzorsland Puppet Federation
Mike Rowe, Leader / John Henry, Ambassador
Bill Nye Science Guy / Rosie O'Donnel Social Warrior/ Michelle Obama Food Expert

User avatar
Ransium
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 5871
Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ransium » Mon May 20, 2019 1:17 pm

*quietly eats his pickle*

Common Jocospor this is one of the most fun resolutions on the books.

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest since March 20th, 2007.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017.
Author of 22 issues. First editor of 44.
Forum Moderator since November 10th, 2017. Game Moderator since March 15th, 2018.

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Senator
 
Posts: 4310
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon May 20, 2019 4:09 pm

"Would you like some more? I, uh, borrowed some from the gnomes."

OOC: 'common' is not how you spell 'come on' Ransium :p
Osiris Vizier of WA AffairsDee Vytherov-SkollvaldrDeputy Forest KeeperLieutenant in The Black HawksWA Minister of Lazarus

User avatar
Kardashev III Civilization
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 24
Founded: Apr 07, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kardashev III Civilization » Thu May 23, 2019 9:26 pm

The tall metal obelisk smashes through the wall of one debate hall into this one, sending asbestos-ridden concrete spewing across the floor.
Jocospor wrote:
  • circumstances involving those afflicted by disability;
  • circumstances involving those belonging to any particular minority;
  • circumstances involving those subscribing to the traditions and practises of various religions or cultures, those being either national or ethnic; and

"No language in the target resolution even suggests circumstances that would impose on these individuals. I have encountered throughout these headquarters many facilities made accessible to disabled individuals, the facilities hardly segregate or withhold services from minority groups, and the infrastructure supports a wide range of cultural practices, particularly when concerning delegations' offices.
circumstances involving World Assembly diplomats that are, for whatever reason, unable to work alongside other World Assembly diplomats;

"The Stellonian delegation has not appeared in these halls for some time. I do not think this is a valid concern."
Furthermore, resenting the fact that international legislation can label its "envoys" as "drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, inmates"; albeit somewhat humorous, finding this claim to be most insulting, slanderous and unfounded, levelled against member nations whose staff have dedicated many hours to perpetuating the advancement of this World Assembly.

"Resentment toward unfavorable but accurate factual statements, while predictable, is not justified."

User avatar
Marxist Germany
Diplomat
 
Posts: 709
Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri May 24, 2019 9:12 am

OOC:This isn't needed
"Marxist" no longer applies to this country. This country was made back when I was a leftist.
Author of GA#461

IC:
RP name: Germany
The National Factbook (WIP)
Ambassador Klaus Schmidt
Political Compass
Pro:Laissez-faire, Nationalism, Guns, Free speech, Christianity, Same-sex marriage, United Ireland.
Anti:Transgenderism, Abortion, Socialism, Interventionism, Mass-migration.

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Senator
 
Posts: 4310
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri May 24, 2019 10:35 am

Jocospor wrote:Furthermore, resenting the fact that international legislation can label its "envoys" as "drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, inmates"; albeit somewhat humorous, finding this claim to be most insulting, slanderous and unfounded, levelled against member nations whose staff have dedicated many hours to perpetuating the advancement of this World Assembly.

"Speak for yourself, this is the most factual clause in all the GA."
Osiris Vizier of WA AffairsDee Vytherov-SkollvaldrDeputy Forest KeeperLieutenant in The Black HawksWA Minister of Lazarus

User avatar
Dirty Americans
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 155
Founded: Jun 23, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dirty Americans » Fri May 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:"Speak for yourself, this is the most factual clause in all the GA."

"Well, technically, there is a slight credibility to the argument. All the 'drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, and inmates' have long left the organization and the ones who remain are actually several orders of magnitude worse. At least they had a sense of humor because they were the ones who wrote the resolution in the first place."
Dirty Americans of The East Pacific
Member of the Tzorsland Puppet Federation
Mike Rowe, Leader / John Henry, Ambassador
Bill Nye Science Guy / Rosie O'Donnel Social Warrior/ Michelle Obama Food Expert

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Senator
 
Posts: 4310
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri May 24, 2019 1:35 pm

Dirty Americans wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:"Speak for yourself, this is the most factual clause in all the GA."

"Well, technically, there is a slight credibility to the argument. All the 'drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, and inmates' have long left the organization and the ones who remain are actually several orders of magnitude worse. At least they had a sense of humor because they were the ones who wrote the resolution in the first place."

"Repeal to replace with more appropriate descriptions, I think I can get behind that."
Osiris Vizier of WA AffairsDee Vytherov-SkollvaldrDeputy Forest KeeperLieutenant in The Black HawksWA Minister of Lazarus

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 14225
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri May 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Dirty Americans wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:"Speak for yourself, this is the most factual clause in all the GA."

"Well, technically, there is a slight credibility to the argument. All the 'drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, and inmates' have long left the organization and the ones who remain are actually several orders of magnitude worse. At least they had a sense of humor because they were the ones who wrote the resolution in the first place."

'Hey now, I'm at least three of those."

Visit the GA, land of populist elitists!


User avatar
Wallenburg
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19959
Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Fri May 24, 2019 3:25 pm

Dirty Americans wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:"Speak for yourself, this is the most factual clause in all the GA."

"Well, technically, there is a slight credibility to the argument. All the 'drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, and inmates' have long left the organization and the ones who remain are actually several orders of magnitude worse. At least they had a sense of humor because they were the ones who wrote the resolution in the first place."

"I can personally name at least one person currently working in these headquarters for each of those categories. Some of them more common than others."
PROFESSIONAL CRITIC OF ALL THINGS GENSEC
There never has been, nor will there ever be, such thing as a wallenburger.
grestin went through the MKULTRA program and he has more of a free will than wallenburg does - Imperial Idaho
PRO: GOOD || ANTI: BAD
Minister of World Assembly Affairs for The East Pacific

User avatar
Maowi
Diplomat
 
Posts: 509
Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Sat May 25, 2019 6:52 am

Jocospor wrote:GAR#8 is purely practical, and while supposedly its facilities are appropriate, it would seem to neglect any ethical consideration of World Assembly diplomats, including but not limited to:

  • circumstances involving those afflicted by disability;
  • circumstances involving those belonging to any particular minority;
  • circumstances involving those subscribing to the traditions and practises of various religions or cultures, those being either national or ethnic; and
  • circumstances involving World Assembly diplomats that are, for whatever reason, unable to work alongside other World Assembly diplomats;

'I believe this ...
GAR #8 wrote:- constructing and maintaining the facilities necessary to house these headquarters

...should suffice to deal with your complaints, right? If certain WA diplomats are 'afflicted by disability', then it is necessary for the headquarters to contain facilities to accommodate them, and thus the OBM must construct and maintain such facilities. The same goes for your other points, although I am not sure why belonging to a particular minority necessarily results in problematic circumstances for them at the headquarters.
Jocospor wrote:Thus, reaffirming that GAR#8's World Assembly Headquarters are, vague and outdated for this World Assembly.

'I'll just notify you of the slightly jarring comma splice here, ambassador...'
Furthermore, resenting the fact that international legislation can label its "envoys" as "drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, inmates"; albeit somewhat humorous, finding this claim to be most insulting, slanderous and unfounded, levelled against member nations whose staff have dedicated many hours to perpetuating the advancement of this World Assembly.

OOC: I have been meaning to write a factbook for my WA delegation for ages; I will ensure that the description you mention is not outdated, saving you the need to repeal GAR #8. Although really, it's still pretty accurate.
Maowi



Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Caretaker Yulia Tymoshenko

Advertisement

Remove ads