NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Repeal (and replace) GAR#27: Freedom of Assembly

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 09, 2019 6:00 am

OOC
I've sent a copy of the Repeal draft that I'd already produced independently to Iciarios, with permission to use any bits of it that they like and to post it here.
The first draft for my suggested replacement is at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464215 .
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu May 09, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Thu May 09, 2019 10:22 am

OOC: Thank you very much to Bears Armed for the suggestions, which brings us now to Draft 3 (which incorporates two additional arguments). Bears Armed has also been credited as co-author.
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu May 09, 2019 10:24 am

Battlion wrote:Considering the importance of GAR 27, I’m personally not willing to support a repeal until I can have a much clearer idea of what would be replacing it.

OOC:Bears armed is writing up a better replacement.
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Thu May 09, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Battlion
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Battlion » Fri May 10, 2019 2:51 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Battlion wrote:Considering the importance of GAR 27, I’m personally not willing to support a repeal until I can have a much clearer idea of what would be replacing it.

OOC:Bears armed is writing up a better replacement.

I’ve seen it, and I’m not remotely happy with it.

So until then, i’m Opposed to repeal as well.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 12, 2019 1:13 pm

“I know that the replacement should be debated in that chamber, but I can’t support any repeal that has such restrictions on a government controlling religion. I would support a replacement that protects the right to assembly, but it one that doesn’t include the restrictions so praised in this repeal.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun May 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Battlion wrote:I’ve seen it, and I’m not remotely happy with it.

So until then, i’m Opposed to repeal as well.

OOC: ^This.

I'd also like the author to tell me exactly what part of the target resolution causes this: "CONCERNED, however, that the manner in which the target resolution has codified these protections allows individuals to assemble in ways that indirectly cause harm or inconvenience, such as by obstructing the movement of emergency services and law enforcement, and obstructing the movement of non-participants in or through the area of assembly,"?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Mon May 13, 2019 4:23 am

OOC: I understand how you all feel. I don't know what the specific rules and etiquette around topic reservations are, but I personally think it would be nice if there multiple different replacement proposals written by different people so people could get the best replacement possible. I obviously have no intention of submitting a repeal attempt until there is a replacement that people are happy with, and multiple options would probably be conducive for that.

On Ara's specific query:

Araraukar wrote:
I'd also like the author to tell me exactly what part of the target resolution causes this: "CONCERNED, however, that the manner in which the target resolution has codified these protections allows individuals to assemble in ways that indirectly cause harm or inconvenience, such as by obstructing the movement of emergency services and law enforcement, and obstructing the movement of non-participants in or through the area of assembly,"?

GAR#27 protects the right of people to assemble, and said protection is only withdrawn under the exceptions in Clause 3. Those exceptions only pertain to the message of the assembly. Without a separate exception so given, it seems that assemblies that obstruct movement in and out of an area are also protected by GAR#27, provided they do not call for violence, rioting or harm in the process of their obstruction.

NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon May 13, 2019 10:16 am

Iciaros wrote:OOC: I don't know what the specific rules and etiquette around topic reservations are, but I personally think it would be nice if there multiple different replacement proposals written by different people so people could get the best replacement possible.

OOC: There are no topic reservations of any kind, but the most likely reason you won't see multiple replacements is that people don't want to replace it and are instead happy with it the way it now is.

GAR#27 protects the right of people to assemble, and said protection is only withdrawn under the exceptions in Clause 3. Those exceptions only pertain to the message of the assembly. Without a separate exception so given, it seems that assemblies that obstruct movement in and out of an area are also protected by GAR#27, provided they do not call for violence, rioting or harm in the process of their obstruction.

Also, I completely fail to see how this explains emergency services being blocked, given that in RL in nations with the same assembly freedoms, people have no problem stepping aside for emergency services. So what's your justification on that not being a thing in NS? (I know that RL =/= NS, but RL is usually a pretty good guide to people behaviour when it comes to existing examples.) EDIT: I'd also say that any assembly stopping emergency services from getting to where they need to, would instantly become harmful and thus no longer protected.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon May 13, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon May 13, 2019 10:21 am

Iciaros wrote:OOC: I understand how you all feel. I don't know what the specific rules and etiquette around topic reservations are, but I personally think it would be nice if there multiple different replacement proposals written by different people so people could get the best replacement possible. I obviously have no intention of submitting a repeal attempt until there is a replacement that people are happy with, and multiple options would probably be conducive for that.

OOC; The only "rules and etiquette around topic reservations" are that topics (and probably even titles, if those are "obvious" ones for the topics) cannot be reserved but that the rule against Plagiarism applies.
In fact, my very first attempt at rafting a proposal (late 2005, for the NS-UN, on rights for non-human sapients) triggered the creation of a rival proposal which reached the floor while mine was still under work.. and was defeated, after which I put that topic on hold for a while.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 am

Araraukar wrote:Also, I completely fail to see how this explains emergency services being blocked, given that in RL in nations with the same assembly freedoms, people have no problem stepping aside for emergency services. So what's your justification on that not being a thing in NS? (I know that RL =/= NS, but RL is usually a pretty good guide to people behaviour when it comes to existing examples.)

OOC: I'm not an expert, but I think (and a quick Google search does turn up quite a few results) that blocking roads, highways, and traffic/transportation generally can and has been used as a tactic to force the targets of certain assemblies to accede to their demands. I don't know for sure, but I'm going to presume that some, if not most, countries do have certain explicit laws to allow such assemblies to be dispersed, or else they wouldn't be able to disperse them. The problem, in my eyes, is that the WA lacks a similar exemption through GAR#27.

In any case, I think the feedback so far, regardless of the viability of Bears Armed's replacement, is that GAR#27 does have its flaws. It may take a more agreeable replacement proposal for a repeal-and-replace to go through, but people could be more satisfied with what might eventually germinate. (I probably used that word wrong, but my brain is a bit too sleepy to correct it.)

Araraukar wrote:OOC: There are no topic reservations of any kind...

Bears Armed wrote:OOC; The only "rules and etiquette around topic reservations" are that topics (and probably even titles, if those are "obvious" ones for the topics) cannot be reserved but that the rule against Plagiarism applies.

OOC: Ah, thanks for the clarification!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue May 14, 2019 5:56 am

Araraukar wrote:Also, I completely fail to see how this explains emergency services being blocked, given that in RL in nations with the same assembly freedoms, people have no problem stepping aside for emergency services. So what's your justification on that not being a thing in NS? (I know that RL =/= NS, but RL is usually a pretty good guide to people behaviour when it comes to existing examples.) EDIT: I'd also say that any assembly stopping emergency services from getting to where they need to, would instantly become harmful and thus no longer protected.
OOC
In the RL UK, at least in the UK during the 'Winter of Discontent' just before Mrs Thatcher became PM, there were a few incidents when NHS ancillary staff picketing at hospitals actually refused to let ambulances past... and some of the 'mass pickets' of that era were too crowded to get out of emergency services' paths even if they'd wanted to do so.
And protesters who chain or (as some 'Extinction Rebellion' members did in London recently did) glue themselves to things -- maybe even to the road surface -- can't step aside very easily either.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue May 14, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed May 15, 2019 3:41 pm

“Your ‘regretting’ clause appears to imply that emotional and financial harm can never be relevant or useful, in spite of the fact that both of these can ruin a person’s life. Although I acknowledge that physical harm may be a more pressing issue, you may wish to reword that statement.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu May 16, 2019 5:23 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
And protesters who chain or (as some 'Extinction Rebellion' members did in London recently did) glue themselves to things -- maybe even to the road surface -- can't step aside very easily either.

OOC: Glue? :lol2: With what?

In a more general sense, any kind of gathering stopping emergency services from getting to people in need of help would mean that the gathering was then by definition a harmful one (denying help from people needing help counts as harming them - just like neglecting to get a child medical attention when they need it, is child abuse) and thus no longer protected.

I would suggest changing "obstructing" to "hampering" - that is, instead of making it impossible (without tear gas coming into play), making it slower (people needing to move out of the way). Slowing down a fire truck or an ambulance can be just as deadly to the people in need of help, but would be more in line with reasonable reading of the target resolution.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 16, 2019 8:31 am

Araraukar wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC

OOC: Glue? :lol2: With what?
OOC
Well, they claimed that it was an "environment-friendly" glue...

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu May 16, 2019 10:41 am

“You use a different way of referring to GA resolutions in your first and last clauses, so you may want to standardise one format throughout your proposal.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Thu May 16, 2019 11:48 pm

OOC: Thanks for your suggestions! I'll work them in to the next draft.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri May 17, 2019 5:01 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Glue? :lol2: With what?
OOC
Well, they claimed that it was an "environment-friendly" glue...

OOC: Then it shouldn't be a big hassle to peel them off. :P I'm still seriously amused by the mental imagery...

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly