NATION

PASSWORD

Ideas for General Assembly Proposals

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Jutsa
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5015
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:20 am

Well, a quick google search definitions confirms more-or-less what I thought the GA proposal said:
a writ requiring a person under arrest to be brought before a judge or into court, especially to secure the person's release unless lawful grounds are shown for their detention.


So, this protects people from being arrested without breaking the law, but it doesn't exactly protect people who are arrested for breaking a law that is impossible to not break.
I mean, it might to an extant, but... if a court is judging strictly off of legality, which hypothetically would be the definition of an "impartial judicial body",
then technically anyone can be detained for breaking an easily breakable law and be prosecuted.
Unless I'm reading into this wrong. Which, I hope I am, but if I'm not... :P
Here is a list containing a bunch of factbooks I created that are Got Issues? related.
>List of issue ideas
>List of missing issues/options
>List of accepted issues~
^ I know this is hardly a flashy signature, but at least I have one now.

User avatar
Graintfjall
Envoy
 
Posts: 256
Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Graintfjall » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:31 am

I don't know which proposal you're alluding to or what that external definition has to do with the WA, but here is the WA resolution on Habeas Corpus (passed after some of the most boring succession of repeal/replace/repeal/replace ever). It's not particularly good but it at least put an end to the ping-ponging that was driving everyone crazy.

What you seem to be suggesting is that a nation might, in bad faith, pass laws against trivial transgressions, so they had an excuse to lock up their citizens. Which seems to meet the condition of being "arbitrary". If you're just going to ignore that word, and setting aside why they'd do that and whether a state with that kind of mindset would be otherwise able to remain in compliance with other WA resolutions, it's not a "loophole", because it's not something Habeas Corpus is intended to protect against.
Last edited by Graintfjall on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jutsa
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5015
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 am

Fair points! Many thanks for clarifying that. :)
Here is a list containing a bunch of factbooks I created that are Got Issues? related.
>List of issue ideas
>List of missing issues/options
>List of accepted issues~
^ I know this is hardly a flashy signature, but at least I have one now.

User avatar
Barfleur
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 373
Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Barfleur » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:25 am

I've read GA#23, which prohibits (in addition to slavery, forced labor, and human trafficking) refouling refugees fleeing servitude and ends investment in businesses and nations which practice slavery. Would it count as duplication to write a resolution prohibiting member nations and the people and corporations doing business therein from engaging in the slave trade?
Barfleur, Where Blue Seas Meet Golden Sands
Citizen of The East Pacific
“Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.”
― Karl Lagerfeld
Ambassador: Roger MacGeorge
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission can be found at Room 1903, Floor 19, WAHQ

User avatar
Kenmoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6368
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:50 am

Barfleur wrote:I've read GA#23, which prohibits (in addition to slavery, forced labor, and human trafficking) refouling refugees fleeing servitude and ends investment in businesses and nations which practice slavery. Would it count as duplication to write a resolution prohibiting member nations and the people and corporations doing business therein from engaging in the slave trade?

If you just prohibit member nations, their people and their corporations from engaging in the slave trade then that would be duplication. You wouldn’t be adding any substantial new mandates to member states.
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Graintfjall
Envoy
 
Posts: 256
Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Graintfjall » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:55 am

Barfleur wrote:I've read GA#23, which prohibits (in addition to slavery, forced labor, and human trafficking) refouling refugees fleeing servitude and ends investment in businesses and nations which practice slavery. Would it count as duplication to write a resolution prohibiting member nations and the people and corporations doing business therein from engaging in the slave trade?

The resolution was intended to prevent that already:
Goods produced, in whole or in part, through servitude shall be permanently embargoed, and all investment and material support to nations, legal entities and persons practicing servitude immediately ended, except as transition assistance or compensated manumission to free people from such conditions;

If you don't think it successfully does that, there might be scope for a proposal on the subject. (Not to pimp my proposal unduly, but because Restrictions on Child Labor doesn't do that I've been seeking to legislate thereon.)

In the long run a repeal and replace might be better, though.
Last edited by Graintfjall on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Barfleur
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 373
Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Barfleur » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:25 pm

Graintfjall wrote:
Barfleur wrote:I've read GA#23, which prohibits (in addition to slavery, forced labor, and human trafficking) refouling refugees fleeing servitude and ends investment in businesses and nations which practice slavery. Would it count as duplication to write a resolution prohibiting member nations and the people and corporations doing business therein from engaging in the slave trade?

The resolution was intended to prevent that already:
Goods produced, in whole or in part, through servitude shall be permanently embargoed, and all investment and material support to nations, legal entities and persons practicing servitude immediately ended, except as transition assistance or compensated manumission to free people from such conditions;

If you don't think it successfully does that, there might be scope for a proposal on the subject. (Not to pimp my proposal unduly, but because Restrictions on Child Labor doesn't do that I've been seeking to legislate thereon.)

In the long run a repeal and replace might be better, though.

Now way I'm going to repeal "Ban on Slavery and Trafficking". What that clause does is prohibit member nations from purchasing slave-made goods, or investing or supporting slavers. It does not prohibit transporting a person against their will to a nation that practices slavery. Unless, of course, I'm misreading, which could very well be the case because I'm tired and sick.
Barfleur, Where Blue Seas Meet Golden Sands
Citizen of The East Pacific
“Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.”
― Karl Lagerfeld
Ambassador: Roger MacGeorge
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission can be found at Room 1903, Floor 19, WAHQ

User avatar
Graintfjall
Envoy
 
Posts: 256
Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Graintfjall » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:38 pm

Barfleur wrote:Now way I'm going to repeal "Ban on Slavery and Trafficking".

Why not? All things must pass.
Barfleur wrote:What that clause does is prohibit member nations from purchasing slave-made goods, or investing or supporting slavers. It does not prohibit transporting a person against their will to a nation that practices slavery. Unless, of course, I'm misreading, which could very well be the case because I'm tired and sick.

No, that's covered by the non-refoulement clause in Article 7...oh, wait. I see what you mean now. That covers escaped slaves, but not someone who's never been enslaved before. Interesting!

I guess I'd argue providing people to be enslaved does constitute 'material support', but there might be room for something.

User avatar
Barfleur
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 373
Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Barfleur » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:54 pm

Graintfjall wrote:
Barfleur wrote:Now way I'm going to repeal "Ban on Slavery and Trafficking".

Why not? All things must pass.
Barfleur wrote:What that clause does is prohibit member nations from purchasing slave-made goods, or investing or supporting slavers. It does not prohibit transporting a person against their will to a nation that practices slavery. Unless, of course, I'm misreading, which could very well be the case because I'm tired and sick.

No, that's covered by the non-refoulement clause in Article 7...oh, wait. I see what you mean now. That covers escaped slaves, but not someone who's never been enslaved before. Interesting!

I guess I'd argue providing people to be enslaved does constitute 'material support', but there might be room for something.

TBH I have a bunch of proposals I've been thinking about, so I have no idea if I plan on going along with this one. Whenever I think of an idea for a GA proposal, I first check to make sure there is no duplication/contradiction with existing law, and then I spend a couple days thinking about it. If after that time the proposal still sounds like a good idea, then I might write it.
Barfleur, Where Blue Seas Meet Golden Sands
Citizen of The East Pacific
“Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.”
― Karl Lagerfeld
Ambassador: Roger MacGeorge
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission can be found at Room 1903, Floor 19, WAHQ

User avatar
Araraukar
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15254
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:21 am

Since it seems nobody answered this...

Jutsa wrote:No legislation covering b though? :P

You mean, allowing people to keep on breathing and eating and sleeping, etc.? Aside from Minimum Standards of Living, Patients' Rights Act and Charter of Civil Rights, no, because the resolutions are written with the Reasonable Nation Theory in mind, and no reasonable nation would ever require a law to allow for such basic necessities to life, WA or national.

As for the freedom to move around and meet with people, as we've recently seen in RL, that's not always a right when there is a national or global emergency such as a pandemic to deal with, even in nations that in RL have high civil liberties and which comply with RL human rights declarations.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Coronavirus related. This too. And this. These are all jokes. This isn't. This is, again, but it's also the last one.

User avatar
Riverpost
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 55
Founded: Jul 11, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Riverpost » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:31 am

Are there any resolutions which cover the use of deep-fake technology on social media?

User avatar
Kenmoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6368
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:38 am

Riverpost wrote:Are there any resolutions which cover the use of deep-fake technology on social media?

There are none that directly cover that topic, and I can’t see any extant resolutions which would include it in their scope, so it looks like a prime opportunity for new legislation.
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Grey County
Attaché
 
Posts: 67
Founded: Jun 08, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Is it possible to establish a new council in the WA

Postby Grey County » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:43 pm

Hey I want to esytablsih a new council. Is that illegal. I would call it the economic council and people could request funding and loans. What do you guys think

User avatar
Tinhampton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7190
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:03 pm

Grey County wrote:Hey I want to esytablsih a new council. Is that illegal. I would call it the economic council and people could request funding and loans. What do you guys think

You can write a resolution establishing a committee within the WA/GA from which people can "request funding and loans" (we've had a fair few over the years), but you cannot write one establishing the Economic Council as a third branch of the WA separate from the GA and the Other Place.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador ~ Achievements
3 SC Resolutions + 0 co-authored:
A: SC#250, Repeal "Liberate Femdom Empire" (87%)
A: SC#251, Commend Alasdair I Frosticus (91%)
A: SC#267, Repeal "Liberate The East Pacific" (90%)

1 GA Resolution + 1 co-authored:
A: GA#484, Disease Naming Compact (54%)
C: GA#491, Rights of the employed (54%)

1 Issue:
C: #1115, One in the Arm for @@LEADER@@?

Cup of Harmony 73 CHAMPIONS

User avatar
Grey County
Attaché
 
Posts: 67
Founded: Jun 08, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grey County » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:07 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Grey County wrote:Hey I want to esytablsih a new council. Is that illegal. I would call it the economic council and people could request funding and loans. What do you guys think

You can write a resolution establishing a committee within the WA/GA from which people can "request funding and loans" (we've had a fair few over the years), but you cannot write one establishing the Economic Council as a third branch of the WA separate from the GA and the Other Place.

Oh ok

User avatar
Random Country 453632
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 55
Founded: Jun 09, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Random Country 453632 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:14 am

Can I make a proposal to improve safety for people who are crossing streets?

User avatar
Kenmoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6368
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:50 am

Random Country 453632 wrote:Can I make a proposal to improve safety for people who are crossing streets?

I can’t see anything that would make that proposal illegal. However, some people might consider it micromanagement to legislate on such a local concern.
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Prorescia
Secretary
 
Posts: 33
Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Prorescia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:16 am

So this is just an idea and I am not sure if this already exists, but a law limiting the amount of fossil fuel use per capita and per corporation. Does a resolution like this already exist?
Someday, the capitalist system will disappear in the United States, because no social class system has been eternal. One day, class societies will disappear.
- Fidel Castro
Political Compass: -5.75, -4.87
Prorescia is a Social Partial-Direct Democracy. This is a new type of government in which most issues are voted on by the people with some types of laws being unchangeable. The people will get to change almost any law, but the general outlines of a Scandinavian Welfare country will not be able to be removed as well as certain substances like heroine being banned.

User avatar
Refuge Isle
Envoy
 
Posts: 346
Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:13 pm

Prorescia wrote:So this is just an idea and I am not sure if this already exists, but a law limiting the amount of fossil fuel use per capita and per corporation. Does a resolution like this already exist?

Cap and Trade comes to mind, but there may be room to target corporations specifically.
Last edited by Refuge Isle on Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Araraukar
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15254
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Refuge Isle wrote:
Prorescia wrote:So this is just an idea and I am not sure if this already exists, but a law limiting the amount of fossil fuel use per capita and per corporation. Does a resolution like this already exist?

Cap and Trade comes to mind, but there may be room to target corporations specifically.

Given duplication/contradiction issues, what's left unlegislated on the topic might be too narrow to really warrant a separate resolution. I'd suggest thinking of something else.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Coronavirus related. This too. And this. These are all jokes. This isn't. This is, again, but it's also the last one.

User avatar
Random Country 453632
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 55
Founded: Jun 09, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Random Country 453632 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:30 pm

Is there any resolution to regulate and strenghten the rules of local safety?

User avatar
Tinhampton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7190
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:06 am

Random Country 453632 wrote:Is there any resolution to regulate and strenghten the rules of local safety?

What do you seek to make safe? :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador ~ Achievements
3 SC Resolutions + 0 co-authored:
A: SC#250, Repeal "Liberate Femdom Empire" (87%)
A: SC#251, Commend Alasdair I Frosticus (91%)
A: SC#267, Repeal "Liberate The East Pacific" (90%)

1 GA Resolution + 1 co-authored:
A: GA#484, Disease Naming Compact (54%)
C: GA#491, Rights of the employed (54%)

1 Issue:
C: #1115, One in the Arm for @@LEADER@@?

Cup of Harmony 73 CHAMPIONS

User avatar
Picairn
Diplomat
 
Posts: 904
Founded: Feb 21, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Picairn » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:33 am

Random Country 453632 wrote:Is there any resolution to regulate and strenghten the rules of local safety?

"Local safety" sounds too much like micro-managing tbh.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Relations
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Pauline M. Warburton (Staff)
Long live the Emperor!
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Ayn Rand is a war criminal

Vivian James wrote:It is sophistry to try to redefine your opponent's arguments. It might feel good...

But so can jerking off in a subway.

The Emerald Legion wrote:Nobody generates wealth. Wealth exists. You simply shift it around, or sometimes discover more.

Atheris wrote:Blaming religion for Trump is like blaming science for tear gas.

User avatar
Random Country 453632
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 55
Founded: Jun 09, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Random Country 453632 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:00 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Random Country 453632 wrote:Is there any resolution to regulate and strenghten the rules of local safety?

What do you seek to make safe? :P


driving/crossing

User avatar
Araraukar
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15254
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Random Country 453632 wrote:driving/crossing

If crossing means crossing roads, like pedestrian crossing, then DEFINITELY a local issue, not international. Driving sounds also like a national issue with very few (if any) international reasons.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Coronavirus related. This too. And this. These are all jokes. This isn't. This is, again, but it's also the last one.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aya Democratic Republic, Free Las Pinas

Advertisement

Remove ads