NATION

PASSWORD

Ideas for General Assembly Proposals

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri May 19, 2023 7:17 pm

Barfleur wrote:
Southern Miska wrote:Trying to see if this isn't a illegal idea, but I have been brainstorming a proposal that I have in mind would give the right for members of the WA:

1. To establish an oversight board to monitor internet activities of their citizens.

2. To regulate internet content that the WA member determines to be "extremist" content

3. To allow WA members to determine their own definitions of what they consider "extremist" content without fear of reprisal.

Again, the above is just a brainstorm, not an actual draft of a proposal.

Also note that "Protecting Free Expression" protects, well, most forms of free expression, including extremist content. The rule is, if a certain category of speech is not mentioned in section 2, it is protected from national or international infringement.

It does the opposite of that. What is in section 2 is the maximum; further legislation can regulate but not broaden what is in PFE.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019

Postby Barfleur » Fri May 19, 2023 7:23 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Barfleur wrote:Also note that "Protecting Free Expression" protects, well, most forms of free expression, including extremist content. The rule is, if a certain category of speech is not mentioned in section 2, it is protected from national or international infringement.

It does the opposite of that. What is in section 2 is the maximum; further legislation can regulate but not broaden what is in PFE.

Having reread GA#436, I understand that now. Sorry for the mistaken advice.

Seeing as I wasn't there for GA#436's debate and passage, I'll ask: what was the point of the last clause of section 3? That seems to drill a huge hole in the rest of the resolution.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri May 19, 2023 7:25 pm

Barfleur wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:It does the opposite of that. What is in section 2 is the maximum; further legislation can regulate but not broaden what is in PFE.

Having reread GA#436, I understand that now. Sorry for the mistaken advice.

Seeing as I wasn't there for GA#436's debate and passage, I'll ask: what was the point of the last clause of section 3? That seems to drill a huge hole in the rest of the resolution.

So you didn't need to repeal the whole resolution just to enact something like "no advertising cigarettes to children". There are a few instances of this in the status quo. I, for example, am rather sure that fraud is not one of the bases for permitting regulation contra GA 436. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=514812&p=39303306&hilit=speech#p39303306.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Deathfall
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Deathfall » Sat May 20, 2023 4:45 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Deathfall wrote:
Something like this perhaps--

"The General Assembly recognizes the inherent right of member states to defend themselves or other member states in self-defense or collective self-defense against invasion or attack from a hostile force or state."

/shrug

That would be a possible clause. On account of the operative-clause rule, there needs to be some mandate or encouragement upon member-nations, so there would need to be other clauses. This could include an encouragement to lend aid to a member-nation under attack in a hostile incursion.

Bumping this.
Need something from me? Send me a Telegram!
Deathfall Jacob They/Them/Theirs Pronouns
Centre-left moderate Austin, Texas, United States of America
Former Principal-Agent primus inter pares of Anarchy
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat May 20, 2023 5:02 pm

Deathfall wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:That would be a possible clause. On account of the operative-clause rule, there needs to be some mandate or encouragement upon member-nations, so there would need to be other clauses. This could include an encouragement to lend aid to a member-nation under attack in a hostile incursion.

Bumping this.

My question would be, how are member states (or how could they be) constrained from doing this already? Is there a nefarious group of conquering nations who wish to impose passivity and acceptance on potential victim states? Once you have a clear statement of what problem or hazard you're trying to solve (summarized in the preamble), Kenmoria's advice is accurate: a "pure blocker" (i.e. only guaranteeing a power that member states essentially already possess) would be illegal, so whatever draft you write ought to have some positive requirement or at least encouragement for member states.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Deathfall
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Deathfall » Sun May 21, 2023 3:08 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Deathfall wrote:
Bumping this.

My question would be, how are member states (or how could they be) constrained from doing this already? Is there a nefarious group of conquering nations who wish to impose passivity and acceptance on potential victim states? Once you have a clear statement of what problem or hazard you're trying to solve (summarized in the preamble), Kenmoria's advice is accurate: a "pure blocker" (i.e. only guaranteeing a power that member states essentially already possess) would be illegal, so whatever draft you write ought to have some positive requirement or at least encouragement for member states.

Mmmmmm, yeah.

Code: Select all

The General Assembly--

Noting that since the repeal of General Assembly Resolution 2, that the right to self-defense or collective-self defense guaranteed therein was repealed by General Assembly Resolution 637,

Asserting that every sovereign state has the inherent right to defend itself against armed attack or to have other sovereign states come to their aid in collective self-defense,

Concerned that without an explicit resolution encouraging the exercise of that right, if necessary, that member states may find that the repeal of General Assembly Resolution 2 may be interpreted as denying the right to self-defense and collective self-defense,

Remarking that the right to self-defense and collective self-defense is inherent and may not be denied by any member state or this Assembly,

Hereby encourages all member states to defend themselves against armed attack, whether on their own or with the aid of other member states.

Not the perfect resolution, but it might be good enough for a draft thread?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 21, 2023 4:37 pm

Deathfall wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

Mmmmmm, yeah.

Code: Select all

The General Assembly--

Noting that since the repeal of General Assembly Resolution 2, that the right to self-defense or collective-self defense guaranteed therein was repealed by General Assembly Resolution 637,

Asserting that every sovereign state has the inherent right to defend itself against armed attack or to have other sovereign states come to their aid in collective self-defense,

Concerned that without an explicit resolution encouraging the exercise of that right, if necessary, that member states may find that the repeal of General Assembly Resolution 2 may be interpreted as denying the right to self-defense and collective self-defense,

Remarking that the right to self-defense and collective self-defense is inherent and may not be denied by any member state or this Assembly,

Hereby encourages all member states to defend themselves against armed attack, whether on their own or with the aid of other member states.

Not the perfect resolution, but it might be good enough for a draft thread?

That looks legal to me, and I do think that it is a good starting point for a drafting thread.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Southern Miska
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 30, 2023
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Southern Miska » Tue May 23, 2023 1:57 pm

Another silly idea from Southern Miska:

A World Assembly Customs Union, with a base tariff on imports from non-WA nations.

Deathfall
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Deathfall » Tue May 23, 2023 2:18 pm

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:34 pm

Is there any current resolution that would restrict or prohibit official limits on the number of children that a couple may give birth to (such as various policies that have been pursued by the People's Republic of China over the decades)?
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:39 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Is there any current resolution that would restrict or prohibit official limits on the number of children that a couple may give birth to (such as various policies that have been pursued by the People's Republic of China over the decades)?

Alas not.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Semoro
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 03, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Semoro » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:03 pm

A resolution that calls for the creation of a international police force of police from all member nations of the WA that will be able to be used on cases involving member countries via majority vote.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:07 pm

Semoro wrote:A resolution that calls for the creation of a international police force of police from all member nations of the WA that will be able to be used on cases involving member countries via majority vote.

This is very topical, since the current resolution-at-vote arguably establishes a police for the GA. The main issue that I can see is one of game-mechanics, insofar as it is not possible for there to be an actual vote on whether to authorise police action, and it would be difficult to word that sort of process in a rules-compliant manner.

If a GA police were to exist, then the best way to handle it would be to have a committee, operating through very strict guidelines, which authorises action according to certain objective criteria. Actually drafting that, of course, would be a tremendous challenge, albeit one that I think authors will increasingly be attempting.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Iowa
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 06, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby The Iowa » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:02 pm

What if we proposed an idea to expand the oil industry so nations had a better economy?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:58 am

The Iowa wrote:What if we proposed an idea to expand the oil industry so nations had a better economy?

Promoting a certain industry is something that the GA can do. Trying to do so with an industry known for environmental harm will be an uphill battle, since the GA has a strong environmentalist leaning, but you can post a draft to the forums and see how the idea goes.
My pronouns are he/him.

CANDESIA
Attaché

Founded: Apr 04, 2023
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Working Hours Reduction Act

Postby CANDESIA » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:02 am

Category : Regulation
Area of Effect : Safety

The General Assembly,

Occupation is a person's usual or principal work or business, especially as a means of earning a living. This help the people, economy, government, etc.

But since the summer season came, the following situations get started to execute :-

Knowing that work, occupation, job, etc. help the countries in various fields like economy, people's rights, government, educational and many more,
Realizing that scorching heat of the Sun exhaust the people in various reasons,
Stressing that several people suffer and die due to long workforce hours during the summer time, which causes the mental and physical health issues,
Noting the situations when people are laid off because of long-time own decided vacations and leaves without any reasons,

Hereby enacts the following :

Confirms that people of the member states get less working hours in order to maintain their health, so they could work more in the future;
Requests the member states to encourage people to write a leave note or absent note to state the reason of being absent by the individual.
--- From The Telegrammer, approved by Tomkins MacJohan, Governor Of Candesia.
Contact The North Pacific, if the telegrammer of Candesia cannot answer about The North Pacific.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:56 am

Candesia wrote:[DRAFT] Working Hours Reduction Act

Any actual drafts should be posted in separate threads on the forum. This thread is for ideas that are in the pre-drafting stage.
My pronouns are he/him.

Bohemia-Utopia
Civil Servant

Founded: May 06, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Bohemia-Utopia » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:27 pm

The churning of card values concerns me enough to want a Robin Hood tax of 0.01 per card level per trade. Is that something we can legislate on? It won't solve the problem, but it will reduce speculative buying and selling for profit. I'd also like to see some measure that prevents puppet governments as a means to fraud the system. I am a complete nube at legislation. I recognise that this is beyond me. It is just something I want to see acted upon from a great height.
Last edited by Bohemia-Utopia on Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:17 pm

Bohemia-Utopia wrote:The churning of card values concerns me enough to want a Robin Hood tax of 0.01 per card level per trade. Is that something we can legislate on? It won't solve the problem, but it will reduce speculative buying and selling for profit. I'd also like to see some measure that prevents puppet governments as a means to fraud the system. I am a complete nube at legislation. I recognise that this is beyond me. It is just something I want to see acted upon from a great height.

Illegal for Game Mechanics. All trades above 10 are subject to a luxury tax already.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Hochi Junerland
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 25, 2023
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hochi Junerland » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:50 pm

Does the General Assembly already possess resolution(s) regarding international quality standardization of mayonnaise? Does the General Assembly even engage in these sorts of affairs?
Following new policy by the Executive, this short signature is now freely editable by any Hochi citizen, effective immediately.

"This city is so nice! I can attend mass and go to the new gentleman's club across the street afterward."

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:55 pm

Hochi Junerland wrote:Does the General Assembly already possess resolution(s) regarding international quality standardization of mayonnaise? Does the General Assembly even engage in these sorts of affairs?

No and no. People still lampoon Mahaj's effort to regulate the colour of toothpaste, which happened some twelve years ago, to this day.

Hochi Junerland
Lobbyist

Postby Hochi Junerland » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:02 pm

Tinhampton wrote:No and no. People still lampoon Mahaj's effort to regulate the colour of toothpaste, which happened some twelve years ago, to this day.

So food regulation is mostly a no-go then? Hmm, it would have been beneficial for us so we could have better trust in the international mayonnaise trade.

Wouldn't the GA be interested in food safety for health reasons, though? Perhaps there's already a resolution regarding the cross-border trade of meat products?
Following new policy by the Executive, this short signature is now freely editable by any Hochi citizen, effective immediately.

"This city is so nice! I can attend mass and go to the new gentleman's club across the street afterward."

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:16 pm

Hochi Junerland wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:No and no. People still lampoon Mahaj's effort to regulate the colour of toothpaste, which happened some twelve years ago, to this day.

So food regulation is mostly a no-go then? Hmm, it would have been beneficial for us so we could have better trust in the international mayonnaise trade.

Wouldn't the GA be interested in food safety for health reasons, though? Perhaps there's already a resolution regarding the cross-border trade of meat products?

Is there any reason why you are focused on particular food products? The World Assembly is more likely to pass a resolution on general food quality than it will about the quality of mayo, and it is more likely to pass a resolution about trade in food generally than it will about trade in meat, for the primary (if not sole) reason that mayonnaise does not face unique quality or safety challenges, and meat does not face unique trading challenges, which cannot be met by regulations that apply to all food.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hochi Junerland
Lobbyist

Postby Hochi Junerland » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:31 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Is there any reason why you are focused on particular food products? The World Assembly is more likely to pass a resolution on general food quality than it will about the quality of mayo, and it is more likely to pass a resolution about trade in food generally than it will about trade in meat, for the primary (if not sole) reason that mayonnaise does not face unique quality or safety challenges, and meat does not face unique trading challenges, which cannot be met by regulations that apply to all food.

Well, have you taken a look at our national currency? On the note of meat, it is not entirely in the realm of fiction that one WA member's lack of meat safety standards turns into a pandemic that wreaks the populations and economies of other member states. Although, I do concede that such scenario is not exclusive to meat, only that it is the most likely source of a food-borne pandemic.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:40 pm

Hochi Junerland wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Is there any reason why you are focused on particular food products? The World Assembly is more likely to pass a resolution on general food quality than it will about the quality of mayo, and it is more likely to pass a resolution about trade in food generally than it will about trade in meat, for the primary (if not sole) reason that mayonnaise does not face unique quality or safety challenges, and meat does not face unique trading challenges, which cannot be met by regulations that apply to all food.

Well, have you taken a look at our national currency? On the note of meat, it is not entirely in the realm of fiction that one WA member's lack of meat safety standards turns into a pandemic that wreaks the populations and economies of other member states. Although, I do concede that such scenario is not exclusive to meat, only that it is the most likely source of a food-borne pandemic.

Meat-based pathogens are, generally, either zoonotic or the result of poor food preparation. The handling of diseases (GA#53) and food safety (GA#64) are already covered by resolutions.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly