NATION

PASSWORD

Ideas for General Assembly Proposals

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

U S Eh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Inappropriate, Chauvinistic, & Sexist?!

Postby U S Eh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Hello Fellow Brethren of the WA!

It has come to my nations attention, that this proposal:
Banning Females From Frontline Combat Roles; isn't deemed, illegal.
https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_view_proposal/id=unitedamericanstate_1565658438

It is considered to be a legal proposal.
However, to my knowledge, it seems to belittle, and insult the opposite sex.

Could you guys correct me if I'm wrong in this matter?

Thanking in advance, Anonymous.
The meaning of life is 42. ASCII says so.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:35 am

Gorblon wrote:*snip*

U S Eh wrote:*snip*

Wrong thread, both of you.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

U S Eh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby U S Eh » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:43 am

Araraukar wrote:
Gorblon wrote:*snip*

U S Eh wrote:*snip*

Wrong thread, both of you.

Sorry about that.
Thanks for the info. I'll make my correction, right away.
The meaning of life is 42. ASCII says so.

The New Sicilian State
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sicilian State » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:54 am

Crawford: Now this looks interesting... Pardon my lateness to the party, I wasn't aware this was here. So any of these ideas are viable to be taken? The OP was written by an ex-nation so surely some of these have been tackled already. Also, if you mind me asking, why are the heroic legislature ideas recorded if no one should attempt them? A friend attempted to write a replacement for the Charter on Civil Rights ages ago and I'm fairly sure Auralia (pardon if the name was wrong) was attempting to repeal it.
From the office of: John Crawford
Ambassador of Foreign Affairs
Office: the floor between the copier and the water fountain
Palermo Parliamentary Building
Ideological Bullshark # -26

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:07 am

The New Sicilian State wrote:Crawford: Now this looks interesting... Pardon my lateness to the party, I wasn't aware this was here. So any of these ideas are viable to be taken? The OP was written by an ex-nation so surely some of these have been tackled already. Also, if you mind me asking, why are the heroic legislature ideas recorded if no one should attempt them? A friend attempted to write a replacement for the Charter on Civil Rights ages ago and I'm fairly sure Auralia (pardon if the name was wrong) was attempting to repeal it.

Somebody is having a go at idea #3, drafting in this forum, and somebody else likewise idea #11; and interest has been expressed in idea #9; but all of the others are totally free and it's even legal -- although some people might not like it -- to start work on a topic that somebody else is already looking at.
For the 'Heroic' ones, the warning is really for newcomers: The most experienced players, of whom Auralia is one, might be able to handle them but we doubt that anybody could do so as a first project here.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The New Sicilian State
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sicilian State » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:48 am

Bears Armed wrote:
The New Sicilian State wrote:Crawford: Now this looks interesting... Pardon my lateness to the party, I wasn't aware this was here. So any of these ideas are viable to be taken? The OP was written by an ex-nation so surely some of these have been tackled already. Also, if you mind me asking, why are the heroic legislature ideas recorded if no one should attempt them? A friend attempted to write a replacement for the Charter on Civil Rights ages ago and I'm fairly sure Auralia (pardon if the name was wrong) was attempting to repeal it.

Somebody is having a go at idea #3, drafting in this forum, and somebody else likewise idea #11; and interest has been expressed in idea #9; but all of the others are totally free and it's even legal -- although some people might not like it -- to start work on a topic that somebody else is already looking at.
For the 'Heroic' ones, the warning is really for newcomers: The most experienced players, of whom Auralia is one, might be able to handle them but we doubt that anybody could do so as a first project here.

Thanks so much for your help! Any tips for coming up with ideas for legislature, and do you know of any mediums to discuss whether the ideas have already been passed into law? It seems a little awkward to just create a new forum topic. Should I just sort of memorize all of the passed resolutions?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:28 pm

The New Sicilian State wrote:Should I just sort of memorize all of the passed resolutions?

Not memorize, but reading through them is helpful. Also remember that the categories (and areas of effect that some categories have) that proposals must be submitted in, place some restrictions on what can be tackled and what really can't. For instance, there's no "bookkeeping" category for real (only Resolution #1, but that was specially coded for the owner of NationStates), so you can't just create regulations for the WA itself, unless you also add solid effects on the member nations.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Araraukar wrote:
The New Sicilian State wrote:Should I just sort of memorize all of the passed resolutions?

Not memorize, but reading through them is helpful. Also remember that the categories (and areas of effect that some categories have) that proposals must be submitted in, place some restrictions on what can be tackled and what really can't. For instance, there's no "bookkeeping" category for real (only Resolution #1, but that was specially coded for the owner of NationStates), so you can't just create regulations for the WA itself, unless you also add solid effects on the member nations.

And bookkeeping will never be added as resolutions using that category will most likely be blocker only or committee only
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:37 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:And bookkeeping will never be added

Unless you have the "Site Admin" title on you, don't make absolute statements like that. They added Regulation category. Wouldn't be big of a stretch to make Bookkeeping an area of effect of that.

The New Sicilian State
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sicilian State » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:44 pm

Araraukar wrote:

Got it, I'll take a read! I hope to be of some use around here.

The Greater Soviet North America
Attaché

Founded: Oct 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Hello! I need some advice.

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:48 am

Hello! I am a new member of NationStates and the World Assembly. Recently, I’ve created two resolutions that have been turned down and declared illegal for several reasons. And i have yet decided if it isn’t worth creating another WA proposal. My third proposal is about the establishment of military commissions similar to those established by the George W Bush Administration. Tell me, is this a good idea? I would love to know your thoughts about it.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:07 am

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:Hello! I am a new member of NationStates and the World Assembly. Recently, I’ve created two resolutions that have been turned down and declared illegal for several reasons.

This is probably a sign that you should a) hang around a while looking at proposal draft threads and seeing what goes into making a legal and high-quality proposal, and b) have a look through the proposal rules and the passed resolutions list (both linked at the bottom of my signature below). The General Assembly is the hardest game within NationStates and takes patience, willingness to take criticism, patience, ability to learn, and patience. Good luck!

My third proposal is about the establishment of military commissions similar to those established by the George W Bush Administration. Tell me, is this a good idea? I would love to know your thoughts about it.

You'll face a hell of a lot of resistance In Character as well as Out Of Character. There is also a strong possibility that such commissions would violate existing resolutions on the treatment of prisoners generally and prisoners of war specifically - you'll need to look at the appropriate existing resolutions to make sure you're clear of duplication and of contradiction.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:49 am

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:Hello! I am a new member of NationStates and the World Assembly. Recently, I’ve created two resolutions that have been turned down and declared illegal for several reasons. And i have yet decided if it isn’t worth creating another WA proposal. My third proposal is about the establishment of military commissions similar to those established by the George W Bush Administration. Tell me, is this a good idea? I would love to know your thoughts about it.

Adding to what Sierra Lyricalia said, you should always draft here on the forums before submitting a proposal. That way, other players can tell whether or not it is illegal and give recommendations about the content. Creating a WA military or having the WA endorse military action are both contradictions of GA #002, so you might run into some problems with your proposal.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Byzantium 1
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 11, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Sugestion for wa resolution

Postby Byzantium 1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:41 pm

Mandatory nuclear weapons

Notes: that only 1 in 8 nations are part of the world assemble.
Also: concerned by the general pacifism of some members.
Concerned: In a scuffle if a major amount of non wa nations were to band together, then we would loose.
Also concerned: if a minority group of nations equipped with nuclear or chemical weapons were to coup, then it would be devestating.
Hereby declares:
-All nations must be equipped with nuclear weapons, including means of transporting said weapons to a enemy.
-All nations unable to get nuclear weapons must ask for donations.
-All nations refusing to have nukes must ally with a nuclear power.
Clarifies that this is a necessary procation, and that res. 418 still applies during this.

Byzantium 1
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 11, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

ideas for resouloutions

Postby Byzantium 1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Mandatory nuclear weapons

Notes: that only 1 in 8 nations are part of the world assemble.
Also: concerned by the general pacifism of some members.
Concerned: In a scuffle if a major amount of non wa nations were to band together, then we would loose.
Also concerned: if a minority group of nations equipped with nuclear or chemical weapons were to coup, then it would be devestating.
Hereby declares:
-All nations must be equipped with nuclear weapons, including means of transporting said weapons to a enemy.
-All nations unable to get nuclear weapons must ask for donations.
-All nations refusing to have nukes must ally with a nuclear power.
Clarifies that this is a necessary procation, and that res. 418 still applies during this.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:55 pm

This is not a thread for drafts, it is only a thread for suggestions for WA proposals and discussion about those suggestions. Nonetheless, your "proposal" would be illegal (see GAR#10) and is bloody stupid.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
The Greater Soviet North America wrote:Hello! I am a new member of NationStates and the World Assembly. Recently, I’ve created two resolutions that have been turned down and declared illegal for several reasons.

This is probably a sign that you should a) hang around a while looking at proposal draft threads and seeing what goes into making a legal and high-quality proposal, and b) have a look through the proposal rules and the passed resolutions list (both linked at the bottom of my signature below). The General Assembly is the hardest game within NationStates and takes patience, willingness to take criticism, patience, ability to learn, and patience. Good luck!

My third proposal is about the establishment of military commissions similar to those established by the George W Bush Administration. Tell me, is this a good idea? I would love to know your thoughts about it.

You'll face a hell of a lot of resistance In Character as well as Out Of Character. There is also a strong possibility that such commissions would violate existing resolutions on the treatment of prisoners generally and prisoners of war specifically - you'll need to look at the appropriate existing resolutions to make sure you're clear of duplication and of contradiction.

Thank you

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
The Greater Soviet North America wrote:Hello! I am a new member of NationStates and the World Assembly. Recently, I’ve created two resolutions that have been turned down and declared illegal for several reasons. And i have yet decided if it isn’t worth creating another WA proposal. My third proposal is about the establishment of military commissions similar to those established by the George W Bush Administration. Tell me, is this a good idea? I would love to know your thoughts about it.

Adding to what Sierra Lyricalia said, you should always draft here on the forums before submitting a proposal. That way, other players can tell whether or not it is illegal and give recommendations about the content. Creating a WA military or having the WA endorse military action are both contradictions of GA #002, so you might run into some problems with your proposal.

Thanks

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Bananaistan wrote:This is not a thread for drafts, it is only a thread for suggestions for WA proposals and discussion about those suggestions. Nonetheless, your "proposal" would be illegal (see GAR#10) and is bloody stupid.

I understand that my proposal would be hard to pass the World Assembly, but that is no reason to be so offensive. You dont deserve to be a GA Secretariat because you're so offensive.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:40 pm

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:This is not a thread for drafts, it is only a thread for suggestions for WA proposals and discussion about those suggestions. Nonetheless, your "proposal" would be illegal (see GAR#10) and is bloody stupid.

I understand that my proposal would be hard to pass the World Assembly, but that is no reason to be so offensive. You dont deserve to be a GA Secretariat because you're so offensive.

1. Triple posting is bad form.
2. That post was addressed at the two posts directly proceeding it, not yours which was five posts above it.
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Ideas for General Assembly Proposals

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:10 pm

I have a question. Has there ever been a General Assembly Proposal that focuses on chemical weapons or the cruel and inhumane treatment of prisoners?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 pm

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:I have a question. Has there ever been a General Assembly Proposal that focuses on chemical weapons or the cruel and inhumane treatment of prisoners?

Chemicals Weapons Accord deals with chemical weapons, and Medical Standards in Prisons covers treatment of prisoners.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
The Greater Soviet North America wrote:I have a question. Has there ever been a General Assembly Proposal that focuses on chemical weapons or the cruel and inhumane treatment of prisoners?

Chemicals Weapons Accord deals with chemical weapons, and Medical Standards in Prisons covers treatment of prisoners.

The General Assembly Q&A thread is the most suitable thread for asking this sort of question.

Also note the difference between proposal and resolution. There have been many proposals on many topics that have never made it to vote or even been submitted. And there is no full record of all submitted proposals although IA now maintains a record dating back to the start of this year. Proposals on the forum can be found using the search function and appropriate key words.

If you're actually referring to resolutions, IA also maintains the passed resolutions thread (previously maintained by Kenny) which is also stickied in this forum. The thread is also searchable using appropriate key words.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:03 am

Has there ever been a General Assembly proposal that focuses on reconstruction of nations’s economies? Like resolutions that are meant to create organizations that promote economic and trade cooperation between nation-states.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly