NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] On The Ethics Of Bail Bonds

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The United Peoples of Centrism
Secretary

Founded: Apr 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

[Draft] On The Ethics Of Bail Bonds

Postby The United Peoples of Centrism » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:34 am

This is my first attempt at a resolution, feedback is welcome but please be constructive.
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Mild

Making Bail Bonds Fair
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

The World Assembly,

Believing that there is injustice inherent in the bail bond system;

Understanding that a system must be in place to hold the accused accountable before their trial;

Concerned that the rich can use the bail bond system as a means of escaping justice;

Noting that in many cases a bail bond is not necessary at all and provides undue burden on the poor;

Holding that a person’s financial status does not change their status in the eyes of the law;

Hereby,

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, the following terms:

A “ bail bond”as a formal written agreement by which a person agrees to appear at a court hearing with the understanding that failure to perform the appear obligates the person to pay a sum of money or to forfeit money on deposit.

“Pretrial services” as services intended to assess the risk of the accused fleeing before their trial while out of jail on bond, to seek alternatives to a bailbond to keep the accused from fleeing before their trial, and to ensure that the accused is aware of their trial and has the means and preparation to appear before the court

COMPELS every nation to allow bail bonds only if the accused can afford to pay

REQUIRES that every nation create a Pretrial Services Agency or comparable organization

URGES nations to find other means of holding the accused accountable

The first draft is below
On Money Bonds

The World Assembly,

Believing that there is injustice inherent in the bond system;

Understanding that a system must be in place to hold the accused accountable before their trial;

Concerned that the rich can use the bond system as a means of escaping justice;

Noting that in many cases a bond is not necessary at all and provides undue burden on the poor;

Holding that a person’s financial status does not change their status in the eyes of the law;

Concerned about the proliferation of bounty hunters and their dangers to public order;

Hereby,

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, a bond as a formal written agreement by which a person undertakes to perform a certain act with the understanding that failure to perform the act obligates the person to pay a sum of money or to forfeit money on deposit.

FURTHER DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, bounty hunters as members of the public who, without legal training and often using any means necessary, pursue those who infringe upon their bail

COMPELS every nation to allow money bonds only if the accused can afford to pay

REQUIRES that every nation create a Pretrial Services Agency to determine whether a money bond is feasible or necessary

MANDATES that all nations ban bounty hunting as an infringement of a citizen’s rights

The second draft is below
On The Ethics Of Bail Bonds

The World Assembly,

Believing that there is injustice inherent in the bond system;

Concerned that the rich can use the bond system as a means of escaping justice;

Noting that in many cases a bond is not necessary at all and provides undue burden on the poor;

Concerned about the proliferation of bounty hunters who abuse the bond system and seek money instead of justice;

Outraged at the existence of bail bond companies that exist to take advantage of those who can not afford their bond in an effort to turn a profit

Hereby,

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, the following terms:

A “bond”as a formal written agreement by which a person undertakes to perform a certain act with the understanding that failure to perform the act obligates the person to pay a sum of money or to forfeit money on deposit.

“Bail bond companies” as companies who offer a loan those who can’t afford to pay their bond in return for giving up their rights

“Bounty hunting” as the process by which independent contractors are hired by bail bond companies to capture individuals, often using force to achieve these means

“Pretrial services” as services intended to assess the risk of the accused fleeing before their trial while out of jail on bond, to seek alternatives to a money bond to keep the accused from fleeing before their trial, and to ensure that the accused is aware of their trial and has the means and preparation to appear before the court

COMPELS every nation to allow money bonds only if the accused can afford to pay

REQUIRES that every nation create a Pretrial Services Agency or comparable organization

MANDATES that all nations end the predatory practices of bail bond companies and protect their citizens from vigilante bounty hunting
Last edited by The United Peoples of Centrism on Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CEO of Cancel Culture
Former Delegate of ASS
Unabashed Cardtel Shill

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 am

The United Peoples of Centrism wrote:MANDATES that all nations ban bounty hunting as an infringement of a citizen’s rights

OOC: This looks like a sneaky rider that has just tagged along at the end...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Peoples of Centrism » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:49 am

The New California Republic wrote:
The United Peoples of Centrism wrote:MANDATES that all nations ban bounty hunting as an infringement of a citizen’s rights

OOC: This looks like a sneaky rider that has just tagged along at the end...

So you're saying that the issues are unrelated and should be addressed separately?
CEO of Cancel Culture
Former Delegate of ASS
Unabashed Cardtel Shill

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:06 am

The United Peoples of Centrism wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:OOC: This looks like a sneaky rider that has just tagged along at the end...

So you're saying that the issues are unrelated and should be addressed separately?

Well it doesn't seem to relate explicitly to anything else in the text, so it should probably either be ditched or expanded upon.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Peoples of Centrism » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 am

The New California Republic wrote:
The United Peoples of Centrism wrote:So you're saying that the issues are unrelated and should be addressed separately?

Well it doesn't seem to relate explicitly to anything else in the text, so it should probably either be ditched or expanded upon.

The United Peoples of Centrism wrote:This is my first attempt at a resolution, feedback is welcome but please be constructive.
Concerned about the proliferation of bounty hunters and their dangers to public order;

Would it help to replace that ^ with
"Concerned about the proliferation of bounty hunters who abuse the bond system and seek money instead of justice;"
Last edited by The United Peoples of Centrism on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
CEO of Cancel Culture
Former Delegate of ASS
Unabashed Cardtel Shill

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:12 am

"I am unsure of how bounty hunting violates any rights. There is no right to be free of detention when the detainor is a government employee, so there is conversely no such detention when the detainor is a government contractor."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:12 am

“Why do you define the term ‘bounty hunters’ if you don’t use it in the proposal?”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Peoples of Centrism » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:18 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"I am unsure of how bounty hunting violates any rights. There is no right to be free of detention when the detainor is a government employee, so there is conversely no such detention when the detainor is a government contractor."

Do you think bounty hunters can be considered contractors? I mean I suppose they are but they are hired by private bail bond companies

Kenmoria wrote:“Why do you define the term ‘bounty hunters’ if you don’t use it in the proposal?”

Last edited by The United Peoples of Centrism on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
CEO of Cancel Culture
Former Delegate of ASS
Unabashed Cardtel Shill

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:26 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"I am unsure of how bounty hunting violates any rights. There is no right to be free of detention when the detainor is a government employee, so there is conversely no such detention when the detainor is a government contractor."

Do you think bounty hunters can be considered contractors? I mean I suppose they are but they are hired by private bail bond companies

Kenmoria wrote:“Why do you define the term ‘bounty hunters’ if you don’t use it in the proposal?”

“That’s bounty hunting, not a bounty hunter. Unless you use the precise term defined there’s no point in defining it in the first place.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Peoples of Centrism » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 am

Kenmoria wrote:
The United Peoples of Centrism wrote:Do you think bounty hunters can be considered contractors? I mean I suppose they are but they are hired by private bail bond companies

“That’s bounty hunting, not a bounty hunter. Unless you use the precise term defined there’s no point in defining it in the first place.”

Oh yeah ok I see what you mean, sure I'll correct that thanks
CEO of Cancel Culture
Former Delegate of ASS
Unabashed Cardtel Shill

Quappe
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Quappe » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:38 am

"We reject this proposal as it sets a dangerous precedent for future restrictions on economic freedoms. We do not believe this proposal, if passed, will be effective at combating genuine poverty. For future drafts, we would like to see the "Pretrial Services Agency" mentioned in the proposal expanded upon and better defined."
Last edited by Quappe on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journalist, WAer, Issues Player.
Feel free to hit me up with a telegram! I'm always on the search for diplomatic allies and friendly debate.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:53 am

I think you need a better name for this proposal. You're talking about bail bonds, right?

When I see the phrase "money bonds", I immediately think Government / Municipal / Corporate / International bonds. The second tier for bonds would be people putting up Surety Bonds as a guarantee of performance. The idea of bail bonds isn't even in the initial list of considerations. You need a more accurate title.

Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Peoples of Centrism » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:I think you need a better name for this proposal. You're talking about bail bonds, right?

When I see the phrase "money bonds", I immediately think Government / Municipal / Corporate / International bonds. The second tier for bonds would be people putting up Surety Bonds as a guarantee of performance. The idea of bail bonds isn't even in the initial list of considerations. You need a more accurate title.

Any better or should it be more/less specific?
CEO of Cancel Culture
Former Delegate of ASS
Unabashed Cardtel Shill

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:57 pm

"The title 'On X' is for essays, not international law."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:00 pm

"I'm still not sure how bounty hunters are violating right, even if they are hired by private bail bondsmen. They're repossessing collateral, and one presumes the recipient of the bail bond consented contractually to the method of repossession."

Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Peoples of Centrism » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
The United Peoples of Centrism wrote:Do you think bounty hunters can be considered contractors? I mean I suppose they are but they are hired by private bail bond companies

"I'm still not sure how bounty hunters are violating right, even if they are hired by private bail bondsmen. They're repossessing collateral, and one presumes the recipient of the bail bond consented contractually to the method of repossession."

Ok so scrap anything pertaining to bounty hunters then I guess sure
CEO of Cancel Culture
Former Delegate of ASS
Unabashed Cardtel Shill

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:04 pm

The United Peoples of Centrism wrote:COMPELS every nation to allow bail bonds only if the accused can afford to pay

OOC: Doesn't this scupper the whole idea, though? Or are you saying that you're fine with nations just keeping everyone imprisoned until trial?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Araraukar wrote:
The United Peoples of Centrism wrote:COMPELS every nation to allow bail bonds only if the accused can afford to pay

OOC: Doesn't this scupper the whole idea, though? Or are you saying that you're fine with nations just keeping everyone imprisoned until trial?

This. The point of a bond, i.e a loan, is to get money that you need now, in exchange for a stream of payments in the future. People do not borrow because they are forced to (except under certain circumstances, like when Charles I's ever popular forced loans come around), but because they want to spend money they do not have in the moment. Economists call this liquidity preference, when talking about credit markets.

If you could just pay it, what's the point of the bond?

Unless you are saying that bonds should only be given if the accused can afford to pay the stream of income associated with the bond. That also has some problems. If the accused can default, why would anyone give them a loan at a rate set solely be their ability to pay? They could strategically default on the loan, which means the lender is out a lot of money. This is a risk premium, and (generously, for the argument) prohibiting it from being considered means that far fewer people can raise money for bail and instead are stuck in jail until trial. That has associated knock-on effects for their dependents, etc.

The actual way to solve this is to reform bail as a system. Perhaps pegging it to one's income and wealth. But that doesn't seem to be inside the scope of this proposal.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:[Lots of words]

OOC: I think you may have sort of said it somewhere in there, but my point was more "if the accused can afford to lose the money, what's to stop them from just running off?" In my understanding the bail amounts are generally set to be high enough that you'll be discouraged from running away as you can't really afford to lose that much money. And that if that (high amount you can't afford to lose) is being banned, then it'd be in the interests of the justice system to just keep them imprisoned until the trial, to avoid them fleeing. Which could then, like you said, have serious issues for their finances in general, or children or other dependants.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am

Most people don't run, whatever figure you set bail at. Obviously there are some, but that's not as many. I'm concerned more about the supply of loanable funds to bail bonds and the reason why one would even take one out in the first place.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:27 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Most people don't run, whatever figure you set bail at.

OOC: And most people don't break the laws enough to need a bail set in the first place. That's kinda besides the point.

I'm concerned more about the supply of loanable funds

I hope that one of these days you come to realize that there's more to life than money. :P

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:22 am

OOC
Americocentric. The specific system of 'Bail Bondsmen' and bounty-hunters about which you're complaining is not used in every country that allows bail, not even in RL.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:23 am

Araraukar wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Most people don't run, whatever figure you set bail at.

OOC: And most people don't break the laws enough to need a bail set in the first place. That's kinda besides the point.

I'm concerned more about the supply of loanable funds

I hope that one of these days you come to realize that there's more to life than money. :P

Ooc: true. Sometimes you need power, too.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: true. Sometimes you need power, too.

OOC: That reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson... "More power!"

Maowi
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:49 am

A “ bail bond”as a formal written agreement by which a person agrees to appear at a court hearing with the understanding that failure to perform the appear obligates the person to pay a sum of money or to forfeit money on deposit.

OOC: This might be some legal terminology that I'm ignorant of, but shouldn't this just say '...with the understanding that failure to appear obligates the person...'?

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: true. Sometimes you need power, too.

OOC: That reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson... "More power!"

And on that bombshell... :p
THE SUPINE SOCIALIST SLOTHLAND OF MAOWI

hi!LETHARGY ⭐️ LANGUOR ⭐️ LAZINESShi!

Home | Guide for Visitors | Religion | Fashion

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly