NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Reducing Food Waste

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:35 am

Barfleur wrote:After a long slumber, Ambassador MacGeorge wakes up, gets ready, and walk to WAHQ. He picks up a copy of the proposal and reads it over.

"Ambassador, I support this bill Just one suggestion: you might want to define 'excessively impractical'."

“I have attempted to do so. There isn’t much that can be done about bad-faith compliance, other than hoping that the Compliance Commission deems it worthy of a fine, but the new wording captures more precisely what I was trying to accomplish. It’s not much different, but does shift about some words.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:36 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Barfleur wrote:After a long slumber, Ambassador MacGeorge wakes up, gets ready, and walk to WAHQ. He picks up a copy of the proposal and reads it over.

"Ambassador, I support this bill Just one suggestion: you might want to define 'excessively impractical'."

“I have attempted to do so. There isn’t much that can be done about bad-faith compliance, other than hoping that the Compliance Commission deems it worthy of a fine, but the new wording captures more precisely what I was trying to accomplish. It’s not much different, but does shift about some words.”

OOC: Looks better than anything I could write :clap:
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:54 am

(OOC: I’m looking to submit this relatively soon, pending any major criticisms/rewrites.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:24 am

OOC: The wording "lend assistance to both environments and citizens of member nations" - shouldn't there be a "the" before "environments"? Or drop plural from environment? It just doesn't look quite right.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:51 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: The wording "lend assistance to both environments and citizens of member nations" - shouldn't there be a "the" before "environments"? Or drop plural from environment? It just doesn't look quite right.

(OOC: There should indeed be a ‘the’ before ‘environments’.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:57 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: The wording "lend assistance to both environments and citizens of member nations" - shouldn't there be a "the" before "environments"? Or drop plural from environment? It just doesn't look quite right.

(OOC: There should indeed be a ‘the’ before ‘environments’.)

OOC: Ähäkutti at my old English teacher for saying that "it feels wrong" isn't enough to justify grammar choices in English, if you can't explain the rules... :lol:
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:11 am

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: There should indeed be a ‘the’ before ‘environments’.)

OOC: Ähäkutti at my old English teacher for saying that "it feels wrong" isn't enough to justify grammar choices in English, if you can't explain the rules... :lol:

(OOC: It was a case of the ‘the’ being a dependent shared between the ‘environments’ and ‘citizens’ and therefore connecting both to ‘member nations’ as a noun phrase. Otherwise, ‘environments’ and ‘citizens of member nations’ would be two discreet objects. Sometimes, I think English was designed to make fun of people trying to learn it, then I remember the fifteen cases of Finnish, and feel very lucky. :p .)
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:21 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Sometimes, I think English was designed to make fun of people trying to learn it, then I remember the fifteen cases of Finnish, and feel very lucky. :p.)

OOC: But they exist in English too, you just use the tiny extra words to do so. Then again these make sense to me even though you wouldn't normally actually use most of them (like, "ilman koiraa" and "koiratta" both mean "without (singular) dog", but in everyday language you'd use the first and not the latter), so I'm not sure I can argue with you...

A question about clause 9; does a nation have to do what the committee's research says, even if the ones already in use were more effective? Also the "in a reasonable time frame" suggests that if the nation can't do it right now (like, say, a developing nation not having refridgerated trucks or the funds to acquire enough of them right now or near future, to stop food spoiling during transit), they can avoid needing to do it later, when they would have the means/funding?

Also, the "and" at the end of clause 8.c. looks like the committee's action list is continuing, while clause 9 is a mandate for the nations themselves instead. Also, you should spell out the General Fund's name. In addition to which, why the hell would the WA be giving money to charities and not the nations themselves? :blink:

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:12 am

(OOC: I’ve implemented your feedback, Ara, but now I’ve exceeded the character limit by about 200. As such, I’m going to strip back the preamble in order to make the proposal a bit shorter, at the expense of detail.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Worried for the many negative effects of the aforementioned food wastage on WA member states and their populations, including:

1. harming the environment, due to the production of the greenhouse gas methane, the wastage of the fresh water that was used to create discarded products and the attraction of pestilence and vermin to rotting food,
  2. forcing a rise in the prices of food, because of a lack of supply caused by wastage between initial production and final sale, resulting in serious negative consequences for the price of living,
  3. robbing poorer citizens of member nations of the possibility to eat the perfectly edible food, safe for sapient consumption, that is thrown away unnecessarily,
  4. squandering the energy used to store and distribute the discarded food, thus increasing power demand unnecessarily, and
  5. wasting the labour that was used to create said food products, which could otherwise have been allocated towards goods and services that would have ultimately been used for the betterment of member nations,

OOC: Rewritten as
Worried for the negative effects of the aforementioned wastage on WA member states and their populations:

1. environmental harm due to the production of greenhouse gases, wasting the fresh water used to create discarded products and attracting pestilent vermin to rotting food,
  2. forcing food prices to rise, because of the wastage between initial production and final sale, causing a rise in the price of living,
  3. robbing poorer inhabitants of member nations of the possibility to eat the still edible food, safe for consumption, that is thrown away unnecessarily,
  4. wasting the energy used to store and distribute the discarded food, thus increasing power demand unnecessarily, and
  5. wasting the labor that was used to create said food products, which could otherwise have been used on goods and services that could have instead been used for the betterment of member nations,

Or in code as
Code: Select all
Worried for the negative effects of the aforementioned wastage on WA member states and their populations:

[list=a][*]environmental harm due to the production of greenhouse gases, wasting the fresh water used to create discarded products and attracting pestilent vermin to rotting food,
[*]forcing food prices to rise, because of the wastage between initial production and final sale, causing a rise in the price of living,
[*]robbing poorer inhabitants of member nations of the possibility to eat the still edible food, safe for consumption, that is thrown away unnecessarily,
[*]wasting the energy used to store and distribute the discarded food, thus increasing power demand unnecessarily, and
[*]wasting the labor that was used to create said food products, which could otherwise have been used on goods and services that could have instead been used for the betterment of member nations,[/list]

Would save 166 marks, including nipping off extra enter presses and unnecessary spaces from the code.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Change the title to anything else, please.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:38 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:
Worried for the many negative effects of the aforementioned food wastage on WA member states and their populations, including:

1. harming the environment, due to the production of the greenhouse gas methane, the wastage of the fresh water that was used to create discarded products and the attraction of pestilence and vermin to rotting food,
  2. forcing a rise in the prices of food, because of a lack of supply caused by wastage between initial production and final sale, resulting in serious negative consequences for the price of living,
  3. robbing poorer citizens of member nations of the possibility to eat the perfectly edible food, safe for sapient consumption, that is thrown away unnecessarily,
  4. squandering the energy used to store and distribute the discarded food, thus increasing power demand unnecessarily, and
  5. wasting the labour that was used to create said food products, which could otherwise have been allocated towards goods and services that would have ultimately been used for the betterment of member nations,

OOC: Rewritten as

1. environmental harm due to the production of greenhouse gases, wasting the fresh water used to create discarded products and attracting pestilent vermin to rotting food,
  2. forcing food prices to rise, because of the wastage between initial production and final sale, causing a rise in the price of living,
  3. robbing poorer inhabitants of member nations of the possibility to eat the still edible food, safe for consumption, that is thrown away unnecessarily,
  4. wasting the energy used to store and distribute the discarded food, thus increasing power demand unnecessarily, and
  5. wasting the labor that was used to create said food products, which could otherwise have been used on goods and services that could have instead been used for the betterment of member nations,

Or in code as
Code: Select all

[list=a][*]environmental harm due to the production of greenhouse gases, wasting the fresh water used to create discarded products and attracting pestilent vermin to rotting food,
[*]forcing food prices to rise, because of the wastage between initial production and final sale, causing a rise in the price of living,
[*]robbing poorer inhabitants of member nations of the possibility to eat the still edible food, safe for consumption, that is thrown away unnecessarily,
[*]wasting the energy used to store and distribute the discarded food, thus increasing power demand unnecessarily, and
[*]wasting the labor that was used to create said food products, which could otherwise have been used on goods and services that could have instead been used for the betterment of member nations,[/list]

Would save 166 marks, including nipping off extra enter presses and unnecessary spaces from the code.

(OOC: Thanks Araraukar, I’ll add your changes and others when I have time today.
United Massachusetts wrote:Change the title to anything else, please.

What’s wrong with the current title? It seems to me to sum up the contents of this proposal quite nicely, though I would be happy to hear any suggestions you have.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: What’s wrong with the current title? It seems to me to sum up the contents of this proposal quite nicely, though I would be happy to hear any suggestions you have.)

OOC: Can't speak for UM, but "wastage" is what makes my eyelid twitch. :P

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:58 am

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: What’s wrong with the current title? It seems to me to sum up the contents of this proposal quite nicely, though I would be happy to hear any suggestions you have.)

OOC: Can't speak for UM, but "wastage" is what makes my eyelid twitch. :P

^
This (x1000). Also, "unnecessary" and "wastage" are redundant.

Reducing Food Waste
Combating Food Waste
Preventing Food Waste

etc.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:13 am

United Massachusetts wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Can't speak for UM, but "wastage" is what makes my eyelid twitch. :P

^

Reducing Food Waste
Combating Food Waste
Preventing Food Waste

etc.

(OOC: I’ve chosen ‘Reducing Food Waste’.)
My pronouns are he/him.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 am

Kenmoria wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:^

Reducing Food Waste
Combating Food Waste
Preventing Food Waste

etc.

(OOC: I’ve chosen ‘Reducing Food Waste’.)

I am now enthusiastically supportive

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:15 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: I’ve implemented your feedback, Ara, but now I’ve exceeded the character limit by about 200. As such, I’m going to strip back the preamble in order to make the proposal a bit shorter, at the expense of detail.)

(OOC: I’m finally under the character limit, and looking to submit this within a fortnight, barring further concerns.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:30 am

"We are in support of this proposal."
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:51 am

“At long last, this proposal has been submitted.”
My pronouns are he/him.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:58 am

'For the record, I will be voting against this. I am sure sovereign governments are more than capable of dealing with matters like this, without incessant interference from those fucking gnomes."

Wayne
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Maowi
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:20 am

Kenmoria wrote:“At long last, this proposal has been submitted.”

'Best of luck, Ambassador.'
THE SUPINE SOCIALIST SLOTHLAND OF MAOWI

hi!LETHARGY ⭐️ LANGUOR ⭐️ LAZINESShi!

Home | Guide for Visitors | Religion | Fashion

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:27 am

"Good luck ambassador, I'll be voting in favour of this shall it reach vote."
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 am

Wayneactia wrote:'For the record, I will be voting against this. I am sure sovereign governments are more than capable of dealing with matters like this, without incessant interference from those fucking gnomes."

Wayne

“If sovereign governments are already taking steps to reduce food waste, then they will be unaffected by this proposal. If not, then they evidently do require the help of gnomes to implement sensible responses.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:00 am

Kenmoria wrote:“If sovereign governments are already taking steps to reduce food waste, then they will be unaffected by this proposal. If not, then they evidently do require the help of gnomes to implement sensible responses.”

"Wasting the General Fund's money on funding charities, is why we will be voting against on this otherwise very agreeable proposal. If WA financing is necessary for combatting the issues of food scarcity, the money should go to the nations directly, given that they already have the obligation to feed their populations, not private organizations."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:15 am

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“If sovereign governments are already taking steps to reduce food waste, then they will be unaffected by this proposal. If not, then they evidently do require the help of gnomes to implement sensible responses.”

"Wasting the General Fund's money on funding charities, is why we will be voting against on this otherwise very agreeable proposal. If WA financing is necessary for combatting the issues of food scarcity, the money should go to the nations directly, given that they already have the obligation to feed their populations, not private organizations."

“I see no reason why charities cannot handle work that governments do not. It has been specified in the proposal text that the organisations in question must perform useful work to reduce food waste, so all that happens is a different cause results in the same effect. Governments should have money through taxation, whereas charities often rely solely on donations.”
My pronouns are he/him.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives