NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Improving rehabilitation of prisoners

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:52 pm

Widowed Land wrote:I am standing firmly on my views about voting and I want this resolution not to make governments to legalize it, but rather make them reconsider to grant light felons their absolute right.

OOC: Not all WA nations are democracies, so it's not an absolute right to anyone, and also "felons" and "felonies" are a thing that don't exist in all legal systems. Furthermore, if you want to make this about prisoner voting rights, you need to completely shift focus (and category), and focus only on that, because that's going to be one helluva uphill fight and anything else in the proposal, whether it's just a recommendation or not, is just going to be extra weight for you to drag along.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Widowed Land wrote:I am standing firmly on my views about voting and I want this resolution not to make governments to legalize it, but rather make them reconsider to grant light felons their absolute right. So this isn't 100% recommendation... Same with retraining

Spend some money on infrastructure and etc (bla blah) is a recommendation, cause not everyone can afford it.

"That's great for you, but idiotic policy. Nations that think felons should vote, for example, have already done so. Nations that think felons should not vote would simply refuse. Same for all the other ideas here. You've done nothing but shout out to the world at the top of your lungs about an idea you once had. What a waste of queue space."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:56 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:We are not the UN. The World Assembly, unlike the UN, has plenary authority.

Yea I already know that(from past experience). So now that I made those 2 clause mandatory, what else should I fix? I still need resolution to get "popular" here, cause if I will submit it, I am not about to start a boring telegram campaign.

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:59 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Widowed Land wrote:I am standing firmly on my views about voting and I want this resolution not to make governments to legalize it, but rather make them reconsider to grant light felons their absolute right. So this isn't 100% recommendation... Same with retraining

Spend some money on infrastructure and etc (bla blah) is a recommendation, cause not everyone can afford it.

"That's great for you, but idiotic policy. Nations that think felons should vote, for example, have already done so. Nations that think felons should not vote would simply refuse. Same for all the other ideas here. You've done nothing but shout out to the world at the top of your lungs about an idea you once had. What a waste of queue space."

Not that there's anything good on queue rn or ever. I think people wouldn't think of legalizing voting for prisoners(with light felony charge ofc, this clause doesn't consider people who bombed the **** out of a nation) unless someone would shove it in their faces.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Widowed Land wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"That's great for you, but idiotic policy. Nations that think felons should vote, for example, have already done so. Nations that think felons should not vote would simply refuse. Same for all the other ideas here. You've done nothing but shout out to the world at the top of your lungs about an idea you once had. What a waste of queue space."

Not that there's anything good on queue rn or ever. I think people wouldn't think of legalizing voting for prisoners(with light felony charge ofc, this clause doesn't consider people who bombed the **** out of a nation) unless someone would shove it in their faces.

"Ambassador, as written, they would still ignore it. Cheerfully. And better the queue be entirely empty then we have to see it full of dreck."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:03 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Widowed Land wrote:I am standing firmly on my views about voting and I want this resolution not to make governments to legalize it, but rather make them reconsider to grant light felons their absolute right.

OOC: Not all WA nations are democracies, so it's not an absolute right to anyone, and also "felons" and "felonies" are a thing that don't exist in all legal systems. Furthermore, if you want to make this about prisoner voting rights, you need to completely shift focus (and category), and focus only on that, because that's going to be one helluva uphill fight and anything else in the proposal, whether it's just a recommendation or not, is just going to be extra weight for you to drag along.

Yea ik that. My first nation was ultra totalitarian, so I fought for absolute rule, but if enough people will support certain resolutions then it doesn't matter who was against it. I think the idea of it is great and many people will vote for it. About felony, idk what word should I use instead of it

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:05 pm

Widowed Land wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Not all WA nations are democracies, so it's not an absolute right to anyone, and also "felons" and "felonies" are a thing that don't exist in all legal systems. Furthermore, if you want to make this about prisoner voting rights, you need to completely shift focus (and category), and focus only on that, because that's going to be one helluva uphill fight and anything else in the proposal, whether it's just a recommendation or not, is just going to be extra weight for you to drag along.

Yea ik that. My first nation was ultra totalitarian, so I fought for absolute rule, but if enough people will support certain resolutions then it doesn't matter who was against it. I think the idea of it is great and many people will vote for it. About felony, idk what word should I use instead of it

OOC: Submit it and we can show you otherwise.

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:05 pm

Widowed Land wrote:

"Ambassador, as written, they would still ignore it. Cheerfully. And better the queue be entirely empty then we have to see it full of dreck."

As I said, words can be changed easily. I can edit it from "reconsider" to implement or idk something like that. and actually, yea I'll do that. I am just too used to UN format of recommendations.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Widowed Land wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Ambassador, as written, they would still ignore it. Cheerfully. And better the queue be entirely empty then we have to see it full of dreck."

As I said, words can be changed easily. I can edit it from "reconsider" to implement or idk something like that. and actually, yea I'll do that. I am just too used to UN format of recommendations.

"And that is exactly what we take issue with, ambassador. Doing so will have terrible consequences on local elections."

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:09 pm

Widowed Land wrote:

"And that is exactly what we take issue with, ambassador. Doing so will have terrible consequences on local elections."

No it will not. Terrorists and serial killers shouldn't have right to vote, but why should we judge a terrorist and shop lifter the same? Many pickpockets, but it doesn't mean that they are criminals and cannot partake in deciding their nations' future.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:10 pm

Criminals have demonstrated a complete and blatant disregard for society, and for the consequences of their actions. This is not who we want voting in local or national elections. At. All.

EDIT:
Many pickpockets, but it doesn't mean that they are criminals

Actually, yes it does. It is theft. That is criminal.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Widowed Land wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"And that is exactly what we take issue with, ambassador. Doing so will have terrible consequences on local elections."

No it will not. Terrorists and serial killers shouldn't have right to vote, but why should we judge a terrorist and shop lifter the same? Many pickpockets, but it doesn't mean that they are criminals and cannot partake in deciding their nations' future.

"They are criminals, and the incarcerated lose certain rights while incarcerated. Not always for punitive reasons. Prisoners who can, say, elect one of their own to the local sheriff would cause a serious issue. After all, they are residents of the local town in which the prison resides.

"This is short-sighted of you, ambassador."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Widowed Land wrote:Terrorists and serial killers shouldn't have right to vote

OOC: Why? According to you voting is an absolute right.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Criminals have demonstrated a complete and blatant disregard for society, and for the consequences of their actions. This is not who we want voting in local or national elections. At. All.

A person who stole a candy isn't a criminal.You can kill someone and go to jail, you can break a window of a neighbor you hate AND go to jail. But let's agree that those two persons don't operate the same. One is dangerous for society and must be limited in right, but another one didn't do much of a bad thing, so why not give them their right.

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:15 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Widowed Land wrote:Terrorists and serial killers shouldn't have right to vote

OOC: Why? According to you voting is an absolute right.

According to you, there's no such thing so opinion changed... Well not really, but formation did.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Widowed Land wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Criminals have demonstrated a complete and blatant disregard for society, and for the consequences of their actions. This is not who we want voting in local or national elections. At. All.

A person who stole a candy isn't a criminal.You can kill someone and go to jail, you can break a window of a neighbor you hate AND go to jail. But let's agree that those two persons don't operate the same. One is dangerous for society and must be limited in right, but another one didn't do much of a bad thing, so why not give them their right.

"They're both convicted of a crime. That is the definition of a criminal, ambassador."

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:18 pm

In my sight(short one, as you noticed)I meant the presidential/nationwide elections and referendums rather than local elections.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Widowed Land wrote:In my sight(short one, as you noticed)I meant the presidential/nationwide elections and referendums rather than local elections.

"Legislative intent is irrelevant here, ambassador. GA Resolutions are interpreted textually. Silence is exclusion."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Widowed Land wrote:you can break a window of a neighbor you hate AND go to jail.

OOC: What the fuck kind of a reasonable nation would do that? And don't say "RL USA", because by WA standards it's not a reasonable nation, and would be in violation of A LOT of the existing resolutions.

One is dangerous for society and must be limited in right, but another one didn't do much of a bad thing, so why not give them their right.

...depends on who they killed and under what circumstances. But I agree that the window-breaker is absolutely dangerous for society. I mean, don't you know that normal window pane glass shards can be lethal??? This statement may contain an unhealthy amount of sarcasm.

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Widowed Land wrote:In my sight(short one, as you noticed)I meant the presidential/nationwide elections and referendums rather than local elections.

"Legislative intent is irrelevant here, ambassador. GA Resolutions are interpreted textually. Silence is exclusion."

"Now you know what the legislation meant. And I'll make sure to fix it for you and everyone else. Do you have any new opposition to the matter, ambassador?"

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:24 pm

Widowed Land wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Legislative intent is irrelevant here, ambassador. GA Resolutions are interpreted textually. Silence is exclusion."

"Now you know what the legislation meant. And I'll make sure to fix it for you and everyone else. Do you have any new opposition to the matter, ambassador?"

"Yes. The WA should not place regulations on domestic democracy when it cannot even mandate autocratic nations embrace democracy. Worse yet, nondemocratic nations should not get to impose regulations on democratic nation. As such, my delegation opposes any WA proposal that manages our democratic system."

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Widowed Land wrote:you can break a window of a neighbor you hate AND go to jail.

OOC: What the fuck kind of a reasonable nation would do that? And don't say "RL USA", because by WA standards it's not a reasonable nation, and would be in violation of A LOT of the existing resolutions.

One is dangerous for society and must be limited in right, but another one didn't do much of a bad thing, so why not give them their right.

...depends on who they killed and under what circumstances. But I agree that the window-breaker is absolutely dangerous for society. I mean, don't you know that normal window pane glass shards can be lethal??? This statement may contain an unhealthy amount of sarcasm.

Window-breaker is just one example. How come pickpocketers are lethal? or rude people who shout out disrespectful words. They should be detained, but not stripped of their rational right to vote, cause none of them caused a lethal incident

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Widowed Land wrote:

"Yes. The WA should not place regulations on domestic democracy when it cannot even mandate autocratic nations embrace democracy. Worse yet, nondemocratic nations should not get to impose regulations on democratic nation. As such, my delegation opposes any WA proposal that manages our democratic system."

Since when is my nation nondemocracit?

Orveila
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Orveila » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:28 pm

"Opposed, aside from seeing criminal justice as firmly in the domain of nation states we are also insulted by the clear bias and presumptuousness on the author's part regarding the conditions prisoners face in our correction facilities."
From the Office of The Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Orveila to the World Assembly Ronald A. Ashcroft III

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Widowed Land wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Yes. The WA should not place regulations on domestic democracy when it cannot even mandate autocratic nations embrace democracy. Worse yet, nondemocratic nations should not get to impose regulations on democratic nation. As such, my delegation opposes any WA proposal that manages our democratic system."

Since when is my nation nondemocracit?

Bell stares, and respond slowly: "Ambassador, are you being deliberately obtuse? Nondemocratic nations vote on WA proposals. That gives them a say on regulations on a democratic nation. As such, my delegation opposes any WA proposal that manages our democratic system."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly