NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protecting Personal Data

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dunmoyle
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dunmoyle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Hatzisland wrote:In full support. I authored a very similar proposal, called "Right To Privacy", but it failed to receive adequate support. This is a great start, and I hope this plan gets passed. HOWEVER, I have one big concern with the language of clause 3e. "e. Corporations allow users to request the deletion of their data from the storage of the corporation completely." Under the language of the plan, anyone can request the data be deleted, but companies/businesses are not required to comply. You should change the language to require compliance.

In the same line, the resolution says that companies must comply with requests to delete data from their users, so I think that isn't much of a concern.

Dunmoyle
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dunmoyle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:42 pm

I'm in full support of it, and if you put this in the queue for the World Assembly, since I'm a WA Delegate, I will give it my endorsement. It covers and issue that hasn't been sufficiently covered by the WA and does it in a way that is effective but still allows for the use of personal data is open, ethical situations or when it's needed.

My one nitpick would be about criminal investigations. I would say that you should require some kind of warrant for the government to obtain personal data, otherwise this resolution could be creatively interpreted and governments could seize personal data and claim it's part of a criminal investigation without any kind of check on that. Other than that though, great proposal.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:09 pm

Dunmoyle wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:In full support. I authored a very similar proposal, called "Right To Privacy", but it failed to receive adequate support. This is a great start, and I hope this plan gets passed. HOWEVER, I have one big concern with the language of clause 3e. "e. Corporations allow users to request the deletion of their data from the storage of the corporation completely." Under the language of the plan, anyone can request the data be deleted, but companies/businesses are not required to comply. You should change the language to require compliance.

In the same line, the resolution says that companies must comply with requests to delete data from their users, so I think that isn't much of a concern.

I know it was resolved. It was an old complaint.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:31 am

Dunmoyle wrote:My one nitpick would be about criminal investigations. I would say that you should require some kind of warrant for the government to obtain personal data, otherwise this resolution could be creatively interpreted and governments could seize personal data and claim it's part of a criminal investigation without any kind of check on that. Other than that though, great proposal.

Fixed that.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:39 am

"As it stands clause 2a will be staying"

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:58 am

“3d seems troubling for businesses that are subcontractors of the government, or otherwise do work where complete deletion of data could cause a lot of harm. Private prisons, which are the majority of prisons in Kenmoria, come to mind.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:55 am

"Hopefully we are placing the finishing touches on this proposal"

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:05 am

Marxist Germany wrote:"Hopefully we are placing the finishing touches on this proposal"

“The new clause 3d doesn’t quite do it for me, sorry. What I meant was that, for example, a prison would need to keep height, weight, appearance, name and age on their database. It would be ludicrous for a prisoner to demand that the private prison in which he or she is living delete all records on him. Likewise, parents shouldn’t have the right to demand that private schools, which are businesses, delete all attendance and behavioural records.”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:08 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:"Hopefully we are placing the finishing touches on this proposal"

“The new clause 3d doesn’t quite do it for me, sorry. What I meant was that, for example, a prison would need to keep height, weight, appearance, name and age on their database. It would be ludicrous for a prisoner to demand that the private prison in which he or she is living delete all records on him. Likewise, parents shouldn’t have the right to demand that private schools, which are businesses, delete all attendance and behavioural records.”

"Can you try to make a suggestion as to how it should be worded?"

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:12 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“The new clause 3d doesn’t quite do it for me, sorry. What I meant was that, for example, a prison would need to keep height, weight, appearance, name and age on their database. It would be ludicrous for a prisoner to demand that the private prison in which he or she is living delete all records on him. Likewise, parents shouldn’t have the right to demand that private schools, which are businesses, delete all attendance and behavioural records.”

"Can you try to make a suggestion as to how it should be worded?"
“I suggest: ‘Businesses allow for requests for the removal of personal data to be made, and act upon these requests unless there is a compelling safety or disciplinary reason to do otherwise’. This also covers employees asking that their data on how many times they were late for work is removed.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:"Can you try to make a suggestion as to how it should be worded?"
“I suggest: ‘Businesses allow for requests for the removal of personal data to be made, and act upon these requests unless there is a compelling safety or disciplinary reason to do otherwise’. This also covers employees asking that their data on how many times they were late for work is removed.”

"I believe this could create loopholes, but nonetheless I'll add it."

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:02 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Kenmoria wrote: “I suggest: ‘Businesses allow for requests for the removal of personal data to be made, and act upon these requests unless there is a compelling safety or disciplinary reason to do otherwise’. This also covers employees asking that their data on how many times they were late for work is removed.”

"I believe this could create loopholes, but nonetheless I'll add it."

I agree, but the language should be changed. Change "compelling" to "clear and very compelling", just to close any loopholes.
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Hatzisland wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:"I believe this could create loopholes, but nonetheless I'll add it."

I agree, but the language should be changed. Change "compelling" to "clear and very compelling", just to close any loopholes.

"That closes no loopholes."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

"Does defining or giving examples to such reasons help close the loophole Mr Secretary"

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Hatzisland wrote:

It makes it much harder for companies to get access to your personal information, and makes sure that there is a clear reason to do so. It would make sure companies can't violate privacy rights for no or little reason.
-A wise man(me)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Hatzisland wrote:

It makes it much harder for companies to get access to your personal information, and makes sure that there is a clear reason to do so. It would make sure companies can't violate privacy rights for no or little reason.

“That is not how any of this works. The loopholes the ambassador from Marxist Germany was most likely talking about were based on what constitutes ‘compelling’, which would not be solved by changing it to ‘clear and very compelling’. Both terms are equally as vague. I do acknowledge the problem of my wording, but I can’t see a way to fix it without excluding legitimate purposes where it makes sense for data to not be deleted.

In my opinion, is better to have loopholes a member nation can fix by tightening up the definition of ‘compelling’ in their legislature, than to ban member nations from allowing legitimate purposes for data deletion to be refused, which cannot be fixed without a repeal of General Assembly law. Though, of course, if you can find a way to close the loopholes, that would be even better.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

“That is not how any of this works. The loopholes the ambassador from Marxist Germany was most likely talking about were based on what constitutes ‘compelling’, which would not be solved by changing it to ‘clear and very compelling’. Both terms are equally as vague. I do acknowledge the problem of my wording, but I can’t see a way to fix it without excluding legitimate purposes where it makes sense for data to not be deleted.

In my opinion, is better to have loopholes a member nation can fix by tightening up the definition of ‘compelling’ in their legislature, than to ban member nations from allowing legitimate purposes for data deletion to be refused, which cannot be fixed without a repeal of General Assembly law. Though, of course, if you can find a way to close the loopholes, that would be even better.”

"Do you have any other objections to this proposal before we submit it Mr Ambassador?"

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“That is not how any of this works. The loopholes the ambassador from Marxist Germany was most likely talking about were based on what constitutes ‘compelling’, which would not be solved by changing it to ‘clear and very compelling’. Both terms are equally as vague. I do acknowledge the problem of my wording, but I can’t see a way to fix it without excluding legitimate purposes where it makes sense for data to not be deleted.

"Do you have any other objections to this proposal before we submit it Mr Ambassador?"

(OOC: I recommend that this is currently in a submittable state, unless anyone else comes up with a serious issue. IC I’m opposed because Kenmoria allows companies to literally install spy cameras in its employees’ homes, but OOC this has my support.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

It will still make it easier to sue companies that spy on you if they are required to have a clear reason, along with that reason being very compelling to a judge. There needs to be a high threshold for spying, and I don't think saying there has to be a "compelling reason" goes far enough.
-A wise man(me)

Kurmedistan
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurmedistan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:40 pm

We like the draft as is, although we do worry about the potential for loopholes and workarounds. There should be a clear set of guidelines regarding the language used to indicate both data collection and the opt-out process. The opt-out process should also have reasonable rules in place, a certain time line for companies to get into compliance or provide records, for example.

There are a lot of technical aspects that will probably need to be sorted out, both on an individual nation scale and globally.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:48 pm

Kurmedistan wrote:We like the draft as is, although we do worry about the potential for loopholes and workarounds. There should be a clear set of guidelines regarding the language used to indicate both data collection and the opt-out process. The opt-out process should also have reasonable rules in place, a certain time line for companies to get into compliance or provide records, for example.

There are a lot of technical aspects that will probably need to be sorted out, both on an individual nation scale and globally.

"We would love to know the exact technical aspects that should be sorted out"

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Just approved. Thank you for listening to our concerns, and we hope to see this proposal become international law.
-A wise man(me)

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:29 pm

Hatzisland wrote:Just approved. Thank you for listening to our concerns, and we hope to see this proposal become international law.

"The delegation of Marxist Germany thanks your delegation for helping us draft this proposal into a submittable state"

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:37 pm

"Why have you barred courts from assessing damages against businesses that abuse consumers under this proposal?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Hatzisland wrote:

"Clear and very compelling is just as much a judgment call as compelling. A nation can justify one as easily as the other. It does not actually raise the difficulty of justification. You're just wrong. Which is increasingly common."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives