NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protecting Personal Data

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 am

Wallenburg wrote:
The Canadian Republic Colonies wrote:In full support minus one issue. Under the section about a minor Guardianship does not necessarily include adopted parents. The term "biological parents" can be exclusive of members of society with adopted parents or same sex parents. The ambiguity of this should be replaced with something along the lines of "biological parents or other legally designated parents" or another way of putting it, "biological or adoptive parents" .

This is in relation to a term known as PAL or Positive Adoption Language in law.

Adoptive parents, as I understand it, qualify as legal guardians.

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. This indeed should be edited.

"As this proposal clearly won't make it to quorum, your feedback will be taken into consideration for the next draft
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Newciv
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Newciv » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:57 am

Newciv is deeply concerned by the lack of enthusiasm among members of the assembly on what is truly an important issue.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:56 am

Newciv wrote:Newciv is deeply concerned by the lack of enthusiasm among members of the assembly on what is truly an important issue.

"We will try to fix every loophole and ambiguity this time before submitting"

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:11 pm

OOC: Don't hurry to resubmit, but when you do, consider sending the TG at minimum to 300-400 delegates (doable manually, just takes some time), preferably 500+ to get the necessary endorsements, because not everyone you TG will be online for the three days the proposal stays on the list, not everyone will agree with your arguments, so the lower the percentage needed (that is, the higher the number of people you TG) for people to be online and agree with your arguments is, the better it is for you. That's why the automated TG program and the stamps are so effective.

Just remember to mark the TGs as campaign ones.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:18 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Don't hurry to resubmit, but when you do, consider sending the TG at minimum to 300-400 delegates (doable manually, just takes some time), preferably 500+ to get the necessary endorsements, because not everyone you TG will be online for the three days the proposal stays on the list, not everyone will agree with your arguments, so the lower the percentage needed (that is, the higher the number of people you TG) for people to be online and agree with your arguments is, the better it is for you. That's why the automated TG program and the stamps are so effective.

OOC
Further notes: You can send one single TG to up to eight targets at once, instead of having to wait the necessary interval each time to contact each of them individually.
Looking at which delegates who've approved other proposals, particularly delegates who've approved proposals in the same category, can give you an idea about which ones it's most worth contacting.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:43 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Don't hurry to resubmit, but when you do, consider sending the TG at minimum to 300-400 delegates (doable manually, just takes some time), preferably 500+ to get the necessary endorsements, because not everyone you TG will be online for the three days the proposal stays on the list, not everyone will agree with your arguments, so the lower the percentage needed (that is, the higher the number of people you TG) for people to be online and agree with your arguments is, the better it is for you. That's why the automated TG program and the stamps are so effective.

OOC
Further notes: You can send one single TG to up to eight targets at once, instead of having to wait the necessary interval each time to contact each of them individually.
Looking at which delegates who've approved other proposals, particularly delegates who've approved proposals in the same category, can give you an idea about which ones it's most worth contacting.

OOC: I forgot that you can send TGs to 8 people at once, that saves up a LOT of time.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:43 am

The time you have to wait on manual campaign increases when you send a telegram to more than one person.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:07 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:The time you have to wait on manual campaign increases when you send a telegram to more than one person.

It's 30 secs for one person, how much is it for 8?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The time you have to wait on manual campaign increases when you send a telegram to more than one person.

It's 30 secs for one person, how much is it for 8?

OOC: It's not 8 times 30 seconds in any case.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:26 pm

It's definitely not 30 seconds for one person. It's 30 seconds on the API.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:20 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:It's definitely not 30 seconds for one person. It's 30 seconds on the API.

Alright

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:53 pm

"It seems like this proposal has been completed, we wish to submit it tomorrow because it has a higher chance of being approved over the weekend"

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:27 pm

OOC: I see that many of my earlier criticism were overlooked. But even so I'll weigh in again.

Data protection is a complex area. This is far too simplistic (and would completely hamstring taxation authorities). I recommend significant redrafting after research on the RL topic.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: I see that many of my earlier criticism were overlooked. But even so I'll weigh in again.

Data protection is a complex area. This is far too simplistic (and would completely hamstring taxation authorities). I recommend significant redrafting after research on the RL topic.

OOC: Though I agree, I think Germany is correct in holding their core beliefs that privacy should be protected. I do think an exclusion should be given to the authorities(to a very limited extent) but other than that, this has my support.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:31 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: I see that many of my earlier criticism were overlooked. But even so I'll weigh in again.

I don't want this proposal to be too overreaching or too underreaching; however I will relook your feedback and try to make the necessary changes
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:41 am

Bananaistan wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:
On Data Protection

Category: Regulation

Area of Effect: Customer Protection

Proposed by:Marxist Germany

The World Assembly,

Appalled by the lack of a resolution regarding data protection;

Believing that businesses should not be able to collect data from its users without the explicit consent of that user;

Noting that minors are not fully mentally developed and are not capable of taking decisions on their own without the help of their guardians;

Hereby,

1. Defines the following for the purpose of this resolution:
      a. A "Minor" as any sapient being under the age of majority;
      b. A "Guardian" as a biological parent and/or legal guardian of a minor;
      c. "Personal Data" as any data that can be used to identify a sapient individual;

2. Prohibits:
      a. Businesses from collecting data from any minor without the explicit consent of their guardian;
      b. Businesses from using personal data collected from a user to cause harm or distress to the user the data belongs to;
      c. Governments from viewing the data without explicit prior consent from both the business holding the data and the user that the data belongs to except when the information is needed for a trial;

3. Mandates that:
      a. Businesses provide explicit information on how they will handle a person's data;
      b. Businesses enable users to view the data that the said business holds on them;
      c. Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes;
      d. The data collected only used in a way that is adequate, relevant and limited to only what is necessary;
      e. Businesses allow users to delete their data from the storage of the corporation completely;

4. Grants any person the right to sue a business/government that doesn't follow the boundaries established in this resolution in an appropriate domestic court and to receive appropriate equitable relief from that tribunal;

5. Encourages member states to enact stricter laws to protect their citizens' privacy from businesses.

OOC: This is ridiculous overreach.
Not anymore

2a potentially bans all interactions between children and businesses without prior written permission.
has been fixed

2b bans businesses from handing over CCTV images of crimes being committed to police. Also, what's a user?
User has been defined, the definition does not apply to criminals

2c assumes that police don't investigate crimes and just go straight to trial.
Has been chnaged

3a - who cares how the data will be "handled"? How it will be used is far more relevant.Again, this has been addressed

3c - What about tax law? Governments have legitimate reason to require business to hold their books of account for a number of years after the accounting period. Such records often include the names of customers, suppliers, employees etc.
This is the only problem that hasn't been addressed directly, but I believe that the current wording should be enough.

3d - informed consent to information sharing should not be abolished by the WA. If you don't like what Facebook do with your data, don't use it. Or perhaps find a paid service where you can call the shots on account of being a paying customer.
Fixed

3e - So the "user" can rock up and walk into the server room and start deleting files?
Fixed

I want to elaborate more on 3c, if you agree to the terms of service of a business, that means that you agree to them keeping your data for as long as they want.
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 am

“3c has too many ‘that’s in my view, which makes it liable to creative interpretation. I suggest replacing the latter one with something more explicit.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:56 am

Kenmoria wrote:“3c has too many ‘that’s in my view, which makes it liable to creative interpretation. I suggest replacing the latter one with something more explicit.”

"We will try to do that Mr Ambassador"

Edit: OOC: Done
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:47 am

“In 2c, I recommend changing ‘governemnts’ to ‘governments of member nations’, to avoid making it sound like you are trying to affect non-member nations. Other than that, I believe this is a piece of legislation that is ready to be passed into law, barring maybe a few last-minute concerns.’
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:52 am

Kenmoria wrote:“In 2c, I recommend changing ‘governemnts’ to ‘governments of member nations’, to avoid making it sound like you are trying to affect non-member nations. Other than that, I believe this is a piece of legislation that is ready to be passed into law, barring maybe a few last-minute concerns.’

"Necessary changes have been made, we thank your delegation for helping us throughout the drafting process"

Maowi
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:59 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
A "User" as any person who uses the services of a business;

It might be a good idea to change this to '...who uses or has used the services...'. Otherwise, as soon as a person becomes inactive on a social media website, the company's allowed to harm them however they want. Which, correct me if I am wrong, I do not believe was your intention.

Otherwise, this seems pretty good, although I wouldn't know enough about this topic to be able to constructively comment much on the actual substance of this proposal.
THE SUPINE SOCIALIST SLOTHLAND OF MAOWI

hi!LETHARGY ⭐️ LANGUOR ⭐️ LAZINESShi!

Home | Guide for Visitors | Religion | Fashion

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:04 pm

Maowi wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:
A "User" as any person who uses the services of a business;

It might be a good idea to change this to '...who uses or has used the services...'. Otherwise, as soon as a person becomes inactive on a social media website, the company's allowed to harm them however they want. Which, correct me if I am wrong, I do not believe was your intention.

Otherwise, this seems pretty good, although I wouldn't know enough about this topic to be able to constructively comment much on the actual substance of this proposal.

OOC: Issue addressed

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:53 pm

OOC:This might barely miss the 81 approvals required

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:44 am

Marxist Germany wrote:OOC:This might barely miss the 81 approvals required
OOC
Needs 13 more approvals in 13 hours.
Currently _
Approvals: 58 (Dunmoyle, Hatzisland, Kolkatta, United Western State, White Bluff, Freedonianism, Nonadia, Pantseria, Simbolon, Ualoi, Jocospor, Hfhbsd, Greater Germany, Independant Canada, New Mexican Republics, Libonesia, Karteria, Vordia, Merni, Dragons of Power, Arrstotzka, German Byzantium, Refuge Isle, Toopaka, Alistia, Leskya, Ellenburg, New Zacharianasville, Flopdania, The Tomerlands, Stoner Anime Gang, Dragoonite, The Montonian, Grand-Turinia, The Chicago Economic States, Funky Goats, The Jazz Masters, Gay Elysium, Bruhhhhhhhhhhh, Republic Of Sumpra, Ashrstan, Boku no Pica, Arpad, Greater Slavicland, Astrum Nigrum, Faniviace, Peoples Republic of California, Vampz, ScottishCanadia, Iciaros, Vampirism, Ryhnn, Pius Desurongcrandis, Fearsburg, Standardized Tests, Mombombu, Stolkland, Amerigaia).
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:05 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:OOC:This might barely miss the 81 approvals required
OOC
Needs 13 more approvals in 13 hours.
Currently _
Approvals: 58 (Dunmoyle, Hatzisland, Kolkatta, United Western State, White Bluff, Freedonianism, Nonadia, Pantseria, Simbolon, Ualoi, Jocospor, Hfhbsd, Greater Germany, Independant Canada, New Mexican Republics, Libonesia, Karteria, Vordia, Merni, Dragons of Power, Arrstotzka, German Byzantium, Refuge Isle, Toopaka, Alistia, Leskya, Ellenburg, New Zacharianasville, Flopdania, The Tomerlands, Stoner Anime Gang, Dragoonite, The Montonian, Grand-Turinia, The Chicago Economic States, Funky Goats, The Jazz Masters, Gay Elysium, Bruhhhhhhhhhhh, Republic Of Sumpra, Ashrstan, Boku no Pica, Arpad, Greater Slavicland, Astrum Nigrum, Faniviace, Peoples Republic of California, Vampz, ScottishCanadia, Iciaros, Vampirism, Ryhnn, Pius Desurongcrandis, Fearsburg, Standardized Tests, Mombombu, Stolkland, Amerigaia).

21 in 10 hours, just need to send out more campaign TGs and this should hopefully make it, otherwise I will be postponing the submission for at least a month
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives