NATION

PASSWORD

WA resolution death penalty

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Cretalia
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

WA resolution death penalty

Postby Cretalia » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 am

end excessive cruelty in the application of the death penalty.
Type: Civil Rights
Strength: Mild

RECOGNIZING that every nation has a right to execute citizens if they so choose

ACKNOWLEDGES that people condemned to death have already been found guilty by the respective judicial systems of the nation that has condemned them, therefore do not need to be tortured for a confession.

ACKNOWLEDGES the purpose of the death penalty is to deter new crime and remove dangerous criminals from society permanently

AWARE that death is a punishment in and of itself

CONSIDERS there is no need to prolong the suffering of a condemned person.

REQUIRES all methods of execution to be relatively humane.

and URGES all member nations to have less cruel methods of capital punishment.

Note: as you can probably tell, this is my first WA resolution draft. any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to read this
Last edited by Cretalia on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:06 am

(OOC: By the way, that's not how the proposal command works (I learned that myself in a less than ideal way), the proposal command links to a proposal that is currently in the WA, whether at vote or awaiting approvals. You might want to use the [box] command instead, to enclose your proposal in a box.

Oh, and welcome to the wild wild world of resolution drafting! I haven't checked to see whether there is an overlap or contradiction between this and other legislation, but you might want to check the list of previously passed resolutions if you haven't already. There may be some things in there that may be of use to you, and that you may want to consider in your own proposal (for instance, the now-repealed Convention on Execution).

Best of luck to you! I'll skim through what I can and see if there's any advice on legality I can give you. I'll leave the advice on how to better structure the proposal to my learned colleagues, at least for now.)

EDIT:
(OOC: As far as I can tell, at least on a quick skim, there doesn't appear to be anything on how executions are to be carried out, just when (as with Preventing the Execution of Innocents). You should probably take note of the fact that, right now, there is only one actual mandatory clause (requiring humaneness in execution), so that is the only thing I'm checking against legality, but I predict that will change soon when others give their advice. For now, I'll just note that it's a little vague, so you may want to refine what constitutes 'humaneness'. Also, some non-human WA nations may object to a humanocentric term, though I'm not entirely sure if that will happen.)
Last edited by Iciaros on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 am

OOC:Illegal because it duplicates GA#443 Preventing the Execution of Innocents (which I would like to be repealed)
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:52 am

Welcome to the WA
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:58 am

That interpretation of the Operative clause rule is just wrong. Any reasonable interpretation of this proposal indicates the existence of an operative clause.

The proposal wholly duplicates (and as far as I can tell does not contradict) Preventing the Execution of Innocents.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:59 am

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=159348
You should probably read this before drafting

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:59 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:That interpretation of the Operative clause rule is just wrong. Any reasonable interpretation of this proposal indicates the existence of an operative clause.

The proposal wholly duplicates (and as far as I can tell does not contradict) Preventing the Execution of Innocents.

Oh ok

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:29 pm

OOC: Welcome to the WA! I must say, for a first proposal, you did a great job(much better than me!) However, this proposition does violate GAR #443, which can be accessed in the General Assembly Passed Resolutions thread in the GA forum. Coincidentally, influential delegate Tinfect has authored the repeal of GAR #443, which can be accessed here -> https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=455682. You should debate it there. However, should the repeal succeed(something a majority of the WA wants, including myself) this plan would be legal(though it could use some tweaking.) Once again, welcome to the WA, and I hope you succeed on your many endeavors to come!
Last edited by Hatzisland on Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly