NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Regulation of Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[DRAFT] Regulation of Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes Act

Postby Cosmosplosion » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Regulation of Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Consumer Protection | Proposed by: Cosmosplosion

Understanding the wide recreational usage of tobacco and other products containing nicotine;

Recognizing the addictive nature of nicotine;

Noting the exorbitant health care costs users of tobacco products incur due to the adverse health effects associated with tobacco, which in many cases, result in the death of member nation's own citizens at a young age, and further noting that in nations with government funded health care systems, the high tax-revenue cost associated with treating these health effects;

Acknowledging the popularity and lesser health risks of electronic cigarettes as an alternative to tobacco based products;

Emphasizing that the goal of this resolution is not to prevent people from purchasing tobacco and electronic cigarette products, but to establish a set of regulations on these industries and to promote the education of the risks associated with them;

The World Assembly hereby;

• Defines a "tobacco product" as a product containing tobacco plant for the intent of recreational consumption. These products include, but are not limited to, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and sishsa;

• Further defines an "electronic cigarette" as a device containing a liquid that is vaporized and inhaled, used to simulate the experience of smoking tobacco;

• Mandates that all tobacco and electronic cigarette products containing nicotine which are intended for recreational consumption must be labeled with an identifier that states, “This product contains nicotine, a chemical known to be addictive;” and must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. This warning must be printed in the language local to the intended marketplace.

• Requires that tobacco products must be labelled with an identifier which states, “This product is known to cause several types of cancer and other long term, serious health problems. If you are currently pregnant, consumption is known to cause birth defects;” and must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. This warning must be printed in the language local to the intended marketplace.

• Further requires that electronic cigarette products that contain a liquid intended to be vaporized must state, “Do not ingest. Keep out of reach of children and infants.” This warning must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. This warning must be printed in the language local to the intended marketplace.

• Demands that member nations educate all residents on the long term effects of tobacco use, by funding informational campaigns, targeted at both minor and adult smokers, encouraging them to quit smoking or to replace tobacco products with electronic cigarettes or related products, while also funding informational campaigns targeted at non-smokers, using pictures, detailed descriptions, and/or other forms of media to demonstrate the negative effects associated with tobacco product usage, and further exempts member nation's which lack a tobacco industry from this clause;

Furthermore,

• Recommends member nations establish poison control centers, which shall provide emergency control services in the event that a tobacco or electronic cigarette product is improperly ingested;

• Encourages member nations to prohibit the sale of tobacco products and electronic cigarettes to minors;

• Urges member nations to prohibit advertisements for tobacco products;

• Further encourages member nations to consider taking further action against tobacco use, especially among minors.

Co-authored by Akohos and Courelli

Hello - considering that the repeal has reached quorum, I have decided to make alterations and offer replacement legislation addressing the concerns.
Last edited by Cosmosplosion on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Minister of World Assembly Affairs - The North Pacific
Former WA Delegate - The Versutian Federation
Author of GAR #459 - On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes
I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting. - Che Guevara

Economic Left/Right: -7.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67

Asairia
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Asairia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:39 pm

"The Asairian delegation is in support of this new version."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:24 am

“You have full stop at the ends of some of your clauses, and semicolons at the ends of others; this should be standardised. Also, I still oppose this proposal, on the basis of corporate freedom.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Return to General Assembly