NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Act of Rehabilitative Justice

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:31 am

We believe that the administration of justice should ideally range between rehabilitation for minor crimes all the way to the punitive end of the spectrum, whereby the most violent, bloodletting criminals are awarded the death penalty for murder as well as any crimes that involve an element of murder such as terrorism, genocide and war crimes. Why should a religiously fanatical terrorist who has killed dozens of innocent civilians in a subway station and permanently injured hundreds more through the use of a nerve gas be offered a second chance? Rehabilitation would be absurd in that instance. This proposal would mandate the rehabilitation of such a vile criminal as a "first resort", per clause 3. For this Assembly's information, the criminal in question was executed by asphyxiation in a sealed gas chamber, using the same gas that the criminal dispensed upon his victims. The very thought of rehabilitation never crossed the minds of anyone in New Bremerton. This was more than a decade before we joined the WA.

AGAINST.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:54 am

New Bremerton wrote:We believe that the administration of justice should ideally range between rehabilitation for minor crimes all the way to the punitive end of the spectrum, whereby the most violent, bloodletting criminals are awarded the death penalty for murder as well as any crimes that involve an element of murder such as terrorism, genocide and war crimes. Why should a religiously fanatical terrorist who has killed dozens of innocent civilians in a subway station and permanently injured hundreds more through the use of a nerve gas be offered a second chance? Rehabilitation would be absurd in that instance. This proposal would mandate the rehabilitation of such a vile criminal as a "first resort", per clause 3. For this Assembly's information, the criminal in question was executed by asphyxiation in a sealed gas chamber, using the same gas that the criminal dispensed upon his victims. The very thought of rehabilitation never crossed the minds of anyone in New Bremerton. This was more than a decade before we joined the WA.

AGAINST.

Just want to straighten this logic out in my head: killing people with nerve gas is bad, unless you're the government, in which case, killing people with nerve gas is fine?
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

The Discipled
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 18, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Discipled » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:04 am

2. Punitive justice shall not be entirely erased, but rather downgraded and integrated to the rehabilitative.

I feel this draft is somewhat generic, even if I do happen to lean on this side of the argument, the proposed ideas seem rather rushed and do not explicitly state a course - merely providing sanctimonious statements as a means of justifying the title.

You won't convince people to vote for a resolution if you don't detail what exactly you plan to do, the quote is merely one to exemplify this. For example, with this alone, what does downgrading involve? Integrated to what degree? How will it be integrated, and will incarceration be subject to judicial interpretation? If so, to what length? If not, then what do the judiciary judge on? What does punitive justice involve, and to what length? What constitutes such a definition, and to what length are they downgraded or integrated? What programs will they be integrated with?

The fact that I managed to extrapolate so many questions with merely this single statement, justifies this assertion - as such this is clearly not ready for a prime vote. Detail, at great length, what exactly your resolution involves, and consolidate for questions which exist for every single proposal - this stands no chance of passing without it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:05 am

Danera wrote:1. Rehabilitative justice should be used as first resort so one could more easily leave the "life of crime" they once entered.
a) The State should provide services specialized for those rehabilitated to avoid relapse IF needed. As examples, Welfare programs for rehabilitated criminals in precarious situations or psychological service for people with mental health problems
b) If one passes through rehabilitative programs in excess, it proves inability or lack of interest to change, and the national judicial system should decide what to do of a person who abused from the rehabilitative system (it may be seen as an infraction)

OOC
The bit that I've underlined needs to stipulate that the national judicial system's decisions about this must be subject to any restrictions set by earlier resolutions which are still in force.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Danera
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Danera » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 am

New Bremerton wrote:We believe that the administration of justice should ideally range between rehabilitation for minor crimes all the way to the punitive end of the spectrum. [...] The very thought of rehabilitation never crossed the minds of anyone in New Bremerton. This was more than a decade before we joined the WA.

AGAINST.

b) A nation may have laws that lower the penalty of someone who committed a heinous crime unless such person has already committed such crimes.

If you decide that such heinous crime as a terrorist act (that case you describe counts as mass murder, psychological torture, direct torture and so on) aren't a eligible crime for rehabilitation, so do it. With that said, I agree my phrasing was poorly made.

Bears Armed wrote:
Danera wrote:1. Rehabilitative justice should be used as first resort so one could more easily leave the "life of crime" they once entered.
a) The State should provide services specialized for those rehabilitated to avoid relapse IF needed. As examples, Welfare programs for rehabilitated criminals in precarious situations or psychological service for people with mental health problems
b) If one passes through rehabilitative programs in excess, it proves inability or lack of interest to change, and the national judicial system should decide what to do of a person who abused from the rehabilitative system (it may be seen as an infraction)

OOC
The bit that I've underlined needs to stipulate that the national judicial system's decisions about this must be subject to any restrictions set by earlier resolutions which are still in force.

Is that better?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:04 am

“On a general note, please put line breaks between your clauses, to reduce the wall of text feel and aid reading comprehension.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Danera
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Danera » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:11 am

Updated.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:22 am

“Also, and this should probably have been asked at the start, what is the intended category and strength of this proposal?”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Danera
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Danera » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:11 am

Kenmoria wrote:“Also, and this should probably have been asked at the start, what is the intended category and strength of this proposal?”

I was between Mild and Significant. What do you think? Is Mild more fitting?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:28 am

Danera wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“Also, and this should probably have been asked at the start, what is the intended category and strength of this proposal?”

I was between Mild and Significant. What do you think? Is Mild more fitting?

(OOC: I suggest going with a significant strength since this affects a broad policy area in a substantial way. Sentencing of criminals is key to a lot of nations, so I don’t think a mild strength would fit. What about the category?)
My pronouns are he/him.

Danera
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Danera » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Danera wrote:I was between Mild and Significant. What do you think? Is Mild more fitting?

(OOC: I suggest going with a significant strength since this affects a broad policy area in a substantial way. Sentencing of criminals is key to a lot of nations, so I don’t think a mild strength would fit. What about the category?)

OOC: Well, you're right. Significant would be more fitting for this proposition. For the category, it'd be Civil Rights.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:53 am

OOC: What of crimes that the WA considers heinous but the nation doesn't? Can the nation let slide with just "naughty, don't do that" (and call it rehabilitation) something that would be a war crime? I'm fairly sure you can only be punished once for one crime, so other nations can't re-try them for the same offence.

EDIT: Also, "should" is just wishful thinking. That clause isn't as strong as you might think.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: What of crimes that the WA considers heinous but the nation doesn't? Can the nation let slide with just "naughty, don't do that" (and call it rehabilitation) something that would be a war crime? I'm fairly sure you can only be punished once for one crime, so other nations can't re-try them for the same offence.

EDIT: Also, "should" is just wishful thinking. That clause isn't as strong as you might think.

GA#198
OUTLAWS retrials except where significant and compelling miscarriages of justice can result from allowing the verdict previously reached to stand,

Like in real life, it's not double jeopardy if you were never in jeopardy in the first place.
Last edited by Aclion on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Aclion wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: What of crimes that the WA considers heinous but the nation doesn't? Can the nation let slide with just "naughty, don't do that" (and call it rehabilitation) something that would be a war crime? I'm fairly sure you can only be punished once for one crime, so other nations can't re-try them for the same offence.

GA#198
OUTLAWS retrials except where significant and compelling miscarriages of justice can result from allowing the verdict previously reached to stand,

Like in real life, it's not double jeopardy if you were never in jeopardy in the first place.

OOC: My point being, this proposal would make that nonsense, with mandating/allowing rehabilitation if they are a first-timer.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:06 pm

Falcania wrote:
New Bremerton wrote:
We believe that the administration of justice should ideally range between rehabilitation for minor crimes all the way to the punitive end of the spectrum, whereby the most violent, bloodletting criminals are awarded the death penalty for murder as well as any crimes that involve an element of murder such as terrorism, genocide and war crimes. Why should a religiously fanatical terrorist who has killed dozens of innocent civilians in a subway station and permanently injured hundreds more through the use of a nerve gas be offered a second chance? Rehabilitation would be absurd in that instance. This proposal would mandate the rehabilitation of such a vile criminal as a "first resort", per clause 3. For this Assembly's information, the criminal in question was executed by asphyxiation in a sealed gas chamber, using the same gas that the criminal dispensed upon his victims. The very thought of rehabilitation never crossed the minds of anyone in New Bremerton. This was more than a decade before we joined the WA.

AGAINST.

Just want to straighten this logic out in my head: killing people with nerve gas is bad, unless you're the government, in which case, killing people with nerve gas is fine?

That is correct, Mr./Ms. Ambassador, although we are now legally prohibited from carrying out executions pending repeal of existing WA legislation or our resignation from the WA, whichever comes first. For the most heinous and only the most heinous crimes do we adhere to the principle of an eye for an eye.

Danera wrote:b) A nation may have laws that lower the penalty of someone who committed a heinous crime unless such person has already committed such crimes.

If you decide that such heinous crime as a terrorist act (that case you describe counts as mass murder, psychological torture, direct torture and so on) aren't a eligible crime for rehabilitation, so do it. With that said, I agree my phrasing was poorly made.

We appreciate that an exemption has now been included within the text of the draft granting us the legal right to deny the worst among us the option of rehabilitation for the most heinous crimes. In light of this, the delegation from New Bremerton hereby declares its intention to cast its vote FOR this proposal in its current form.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Dunmoyle
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

In Favor

Postby Dunmoyle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:41 pm

Currently, I support this, as I think the WA should encourage more rehabilitation instead of deterrence with prison, because for me, the goal of prison and criminal justice as a whole is to rehabilitate criminals so they have the ability to return to society eventually, and the current system many member states have of locking people in cages just doesn't do that well.

I think this resolution is very well written and should be presented to the WA.

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 28, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:50 pm

Tokiko looked at a piece of paper containing the proposal. She looked up. Then down. Then up again. ”First there’s the proposal about poison addicts, now this nonsense? Kyoki Chudoku maintains a policy of punishment appropriate to the crime. Traitors who commit crimes, even less heinous ones, deserve equivalent suffering to that which they casused. It’s the basis of our judicial system. And yes, we do value punishment of crime. It is called crime for a reason. As such, we have no choice but to reject this proposition. I know I’m gonna get a lot of arguments over it, but that’s our stance.”
This nation exists for fun and insanity, not to represent my actual views which are much more mundane and boring.
Also, I don't use NS stats. So please ignore them.
Current Status (yes, I'm bad at keeping this updated): Immaterial

TG me for a free cookie. May contain traces of hydrogen cyanide.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Danera wrote:First draft of my proposal on Incarceration & Punitive Justice. Thoughts?
Category: Civil Rights
Strength: Significant
CONCERNED by the state of prisons and other incarceration-directed institutions that are created in essentia for the punishment of those who do not abide by a country's law

See GA#166

BELIEVING that the State and Government should take in account the reasons behind a minor crime as they can be justifiable

A crime is still a crime no matter why it was committed

RECOGNIZING the fact that the poor are more prone to resorting to a life of crime than those who are privileged by the system

AWARE of the fact that truly dangerous members of the society may cause further issues in the future after being released

Fair enough

HEREBY ESTABLISHES that every nation-member must abide to these laws:
1. Rehabilitative justice must be used as first resort so one could more easily leave the "life of crime" they once entered.
a) The State must provide services specialized for those rehabilitated to avoid relapse IF needed. As examples, Welfare programs for rehabilitated criminals in precarious situations or psychological service for people with mental health problems

GA#140

2. Punitive justice shall not be erased from a nation's system unless it is the wish of such nation's internal system. Imprisonment, it being at private-owned or public-owned prisons, shall not be created with the objective of being a punition, nor degrade an imprisoned to the point of psychological damage.

Seems OK to me

3. Rehabilitative justice may not be used only for those who committed minor crimes, but for all criminals unless the government decides that certains heinous crimes make one not eligible for rehabilitation.

You should define a heinous crime in the start of the resolution not in clause 4

a) People with criminal desires shall be able to request the state for a mental health professional and/or a preemptive rehabilitative system
c) For those with aggravations (that extends but is not limited mass murder, public murder and etc), the rehabilitative programs shan't be offered.

B is missing

a) A heinous crime is here defined by anything that hurts the right to life or body autonomy that one or a group posseses as a sentient being, and that extends but is not limited to Mental or Physical Abuse, Torture, Murder and so on.

Define this in a separate clause in the start, it really helps

b) A nation can, if it chooses to, have laws that lower the penalty of someone who committed a heinous crime and requested for rehabilitation unless such person has already committed such crimes, that is to say, if they have criminal records.

So a nation cannot lower the punishment of a person with a criminal record even if it wants to?

5. Rehabilitation shall be obligatory for one after they committed a crime and if refused by the lawbreaker, a nation should follow the article 1b instructions.

Unnecessary repetition

a) Rehabilitation should be priority for those with aextended list of criminal records.

Grammar error: an not a
b) This does not apply for heinous crimes a nation chooses to offer no rehabilitative program for.

Uneeded repetition
c) A nation can choose to offer rehabilitative programs only for those with extended criminal records.

This either contradicts clause 1 or you worded it in a way that does

6. If a person who hasn't committed any crime but entered the rehabilitative program by their own will wishes to stop the program, the right shall be granted

Irrelevant to the topic of the resolution

This has many mistakes and the writer should consider fixing them before submitting
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly