NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Repeal "On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

[DEFEATED] Repeal "On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes"

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:30 am

"Really, it's a shame that big gaping flaw of some optionality in here, but what can you really do aside from some good 'ol repeal and replace?"

Category: Repeal
Resolution: 459
Author: Lord Dominator

The World Assembly,

Applauding the efforts of the target resolution to improve health by reducing smoking and related issues,

Reminding itself that passed resolutions cannot be amended to resolve errors,

Concerned that the recently passed resolution permits member nations to abide by its requirements without in fact translating warnings into a language understandable by the local populace, as the language used repeatedly in the target is inherently optional,

Further concerned that members with governments appropriately disposed to tobacco corporations can therefore abide by the text of the target while also taking little useful action towards teaching their populations the harms of tobacco and smoke inhalation,

Believing that interpretation of the word "should" by national or international tribunals to invoke requirement would be an unprecedented shift in the interpretation of World Assembly statutes that would fundamentally shift the relationship between the Assembly and its constituent members so to engender incredible overreach,

Further believing that this makes unavailable to the Assembly the ability to recommend which also also effectively eliminates the scope for discretion under WA resolutions,

Observing that not all member member nations are composed of species harmed by the targeted products and believing such to be an unnecessary overreach,

Further observing that the educational requirements would cause waste of resources in nations where tobacco use is low or non-existent,

Hopefully consigning to private essays rather than General Assembly resolutions titles starting with the word "On",

Certain that action will be taken by delegations committed to reducing smoking and similar issues in the eventuality of repeal,

Repeals "On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes".

Co-Authored by Imperium Anglorum
Last edited by Ransium on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:03 am, edited 8 times in total.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:36 am

Category: Repeal
Resolution: 459
Author: Lord Dominator

The World Assembly,

Applauding the efforts of the target resolution to improve health via reducing smoking and related issues,

Reminding itself that passed resolutions cannot be amended to resolve errors,

Concerned that the recently passed resolution permits member nations to abide by its requirements without in fact translating warnings into a language understandable by the local populace, as the language used repeatedly in the target is inherently optional,

Further concerned that members with governments appropriately disposed to tobacco corporations can therefore abide by the text of the target while also taking little useful action towards teaching their populations the harms of tobacco and smoke inhalation,

Believing that interpretation of the word "should" by national or international tribunals to invoke requirement would be an unprecedented shift in the interpretation of World Assembly statutes that would fundamentally shift the relationship between the Assembly and its constituent members so to engender incredible overreach and make unavailable to the Assembly the ability to recommend,

Additionally Observing that not all member member nations are composed of species harmed by the targeted products and believing such to be an unnecessary overreach,

Hopefully consigning to private essays rather than General Assembly resolutions titles starting with the word "On",

Certain that action will be taken by delegations committed to reducing smoking and similar issues in the eventuality of repeal with simple rewordings of the resolution,

Repeals "On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes".

Co-Authored by Imperium Anglorum
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:08 am

OOC: There's a resolution about translating everything the WA legislates, to the various languages used in the member nations, so arguing "the label text in the resolution is in the wrong language for my nation" is... well, a lie.

I would vote "for" this just because of the use "On" in the title, though.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:31 am

“On the one hand, you have just pointed out a lovely loophole we should use in our interpretation of the resolution, which reduces the amount with which we have to trample on corporate free speech rights, and repealing this could make way for a new resolution that doesn’t have this loophole.

On the other hand, this lovely loophole doesn’t detract from the fact that three tenths of the packaging is mandated to be taken up by unattractive and non-pleasing health and safety warning as well as generally setting a bad precedent for the oppression of tobacco companies. Overall, I believe I support this repeal.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:15 am

Kenmoria wrote:“On the other hand, this lovely loophole doesn’t detract from the fact that three tenths of the packaging is mandated to be taken up by unattractive and non-pleasing health and safety warning”

"If you must insist on poisoning your citizens, why not make the the warning label itself pretty? I'm sure you must have some graphic designers working for your poison-marketers."
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:01 am

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“On the other hand, this lovely loophole doesn’t detract from the fact that three tenths of the packaging is mandated to be taken up by unattractive and non-pleasing health and safety warning”

"If you must insist on poisoning your citizens, why not make the the warning label itself pretty? I'm sure you must have some graphic designers working for your poison-marketers."

“Oh yes, I’m sure the tobacco companies have spent a lot making sure every citizen knows the benefits of usage of their product. However, these people are working graphic designers, not miracle workers, and it would take a miracle to turn ‘This product is known to cause several types of cancer and other long term, serious health problems,’ into anything that resembles positive branding. A common theme in this type of advertisement is guilt-free indulgence. I don’t know if you have a way to make cancer fit that brief.

Besides, the Kenmorian government doesn’t poison people. ‘Poison’ implies that we are forcibly stuffing cigarettes in people’s mouths. In reality, all we are doing is giving others the opportunity to make money and provide for themselves, however they want to do it.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:00 am

OOC
GAR Resolution #2 requires that member nations follow resolutions "in good faith". Would you really call allowing tobacco companies to print the WA-required warnings in languages that their potential customers wouldn't be able to read complying in good faith?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:14 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
GAR Resolution #2 requires that member nations follow resolutions "in good faith". Would you really call allowing tobacco companies to print the WA-required warnings in languages that their potential customers wouldn't be able to read complying in good faith?

Ooc: The resolution is silent on the matter, and enforcing the letter of the law is not bad faith. Bad faith involves more than just using a loophole.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:20 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: The resolution is silent on the matter, and enforcing the letter of the law is not bad faith. Bad faith involves more than just using a loophole.

OOC: But there is at least one resolution that requires translating all WA legislation into the languages of the nation in question. Since you have to translate it, then printing it on a foreign language on purpose would be bad faith.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:22 am

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: The resolution is silent on the matter, and enforcing the letter of the law is not bad faith. Bad faith involves more than just using a loophole.

OOC: But there is at least one resolution that requires translating all WA legislation into the languages of the nation in question. Since you have to translate it, then printing it on a foreign language on purpose would be bad faith.

Ooc: legislation, not labels. If there is no obligation to print those labels in domestic language, there is no bad faith by not doing so. It is not a patently unreasonable interpretation that nations may print labels in a foreign language.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:24 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: legislation, not labels. If there is no obligation to print those labels in domestic language, there is no bad faith by not doing so. It is not a patently unreasonable interpretation that nations may print labels in a foreign language.

OOC: The legislation is about labels.

EDIT: Or do you apply the same thing about labels to every single resolution in existence that legislates on labling things, and doesn't specifically say it must be in a language understood by the people you sell them to? 2nd EDIT: Because that's the level of loopholing that would let Araraukarian border patrols sink refugee boats freely without committing warcrimes, simply because of clever labeling of the situation. (And using that example because it's the most outrageous one I can think of in relation to Araraukar...)
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:29 am

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: legislation, not labels. If there is no obligation to print those labels in domestic language, there is no bad faith by not doing so. It is not a patently unreasonable interpretation that nations may print labels in a foreign language.

OOC: The legislation is about labels.

EDIT: Or do you apply the same thing about labels to every single resolution in existence that legislates on labling things, and doesn't specifically say it must be in a language understood by the people you sell them to?

Ooc: Uniform Labling of Hazarfous Goods makes no provisions about consumer labels on consumer packaging, but discusses vessel labling. And those lable requirements are not binding.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:33 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: Uniform Labling of Hazarfous Goods makes no provisions about consumer labels on consumer packaging, but discusses vessel labling. And those lable requirements are not binding.

OOC: There are others.
viewtopic.php?p=319#p319 (binding requirement)
viewtopic.php?p=668491#p668491 (binding requirement)
viewtopic.php?p=29087015#p29087015 (binding requirement)

I'm fairly sure there are even more others but those were the quickest to search for.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:37 am

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: Uniform Labling of Hazarfous Goods makes no provisions about consumer labels on consumer packaging, but discusses vessel labling. And those lable requirements are not binding.

OOC: There are others.
viewtopic.php?p=319#p319 (binding requirement)
viewtopic.php?p=668491#p668491 (binding requirement)
viewtopic.php?p=29087015#p29087015 (binding requirement)

I'm fairly sure there are even more others but those were the quickest to search for.

OOC: None of those have a universal obligation that labels of all kind be translated, and even if they did, their subject material naturally limits them to the kind of label contemplated in the subject material. In order: industrial workplace labels, a quality and grade label, and labels for pesticides. Only one of those reasonably attaches to consumer goods, and it has nothing to do with health and safety.

You can't read a policy you want to see into laws when it isn't there.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:48 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:*snip*

OOC: So...

Araraukar wrote:do you apply the same thing about labels to every single resolution in existence that legislates on labling things, and doesn't specifically say it must be in a language understood by the people you sell them to?

An answer please? Yes or no works.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:45 am

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:*snip*

OOC: So...

Araraukar wrote:do you apply the same thing about labels to every single resolution in existence that legislates on labling things, and doesn't specifically say it must be in a language understood by the people you sell them to?

An answer please? Yes or no works.

OOC: Personally speaking, I would think that one could apply the same standard to at least the 3 you linked, though I can think of ways the first 2 wiggle around that (safety information be easily accessible and looking to be committee controlled respectively).

Additionally, a clause based on BA's argument suggestion in IA's draft release thread has been added. And if it wasn't obvious, this draft is based on said draft, given an earlier release for use for co-author credit on Discord.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Arguments about should and good faith are preempted in the text of the proposal itself. Also, you may want to consider adding here to that interpretation clause:

then the WA loses the ability to recommend any action and also effectively eliminates the scope for discretion under WA resolutions.

Lord Dominator wrote:Additionally, a clause based on BA's argument suggestion in IA's draft release thread has been added. And if it wasn't obvious, this draft is based on said draft, given an earlier release for use for co-author credit on Discord.

Also at the top of the OP in that thread.

nations were tobacco use is low or non-existent

Needs to be changed to: nations where tobacco use is low or non-existent

Certain that action will be taken by delegations committed to reducing smoking and similar issues in the eventuality of repeal with simple rewordings of the resolution,

I would also caution against something this broad, because this could imply so some readers that they would be able to plagiarise the target resolution rather than the original, which was intended as a oblique reminder to the Assembly that the original authorial delegation will probably pass a replacement.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:55 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
nations were tobacco use is low or non-existent

Needs to be changed to: nations where tobacco use is low or non-existent

I would also caution against something this broad, because this could imply so some readers that they would be able to plagiarise the target resolution rather than the original, which was intended as a oblique reminder to the Assembly that the original authorial delegation will probably pass a replacement.

Made the spelling fix, removed the implication of editing the actual resolution and moved towards a more neutral statement on such. Thank you :)

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Submission coming soon, given lack of debate or any other forms of contribution

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:13 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:Submission coming soon, given lack of debate or any other forms of contribution

OOC: I still think that the lable language thing is a bad faith argument. Do you really need to include it?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Observing shouldn't be capitalised in 'Further Observing'. Via should be replaced with By. I would still add the argument I posted last regarding Should and Discretion.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:57 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Submission coming soon, given lack of debate or any other forms of contribution

OOC: I still think that the lable language thing is a bad faith argument. Do you really need to include it?

I agree with IA on the argument about 'should' here, otherwise I wouldn't have used IA's draft as a basis.

Got those wording quibbles there IA, thanks.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:27 pm

OOC: I have submitted this on my occupation puppet, for the record (and to avoid any possible plagiarism ding).

Kranostav
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:51 pm

Yeah I really just don't agree. Purposefully posting warnings in a non native language so as to subvert the effects of the resolution is operating in bad faith.

I'll give you that this is a fairly humanist resolution and could have some issues with species that aren't harmed from aforementioned use of various products described in the original resolution.

But I really don't think the loophole argument flies with gar#2 mandating good faith.
Non-compliance is lame and you should feel bad
The meddling WA Kid of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:25 am

I don't see how it doesn't, having people enforce resolutions by the letter of the law & not the spirit has a long-accepted history, I see no reason why this doesn't follow under the same.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives