NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Right to Education Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Fortisian Isles
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Right to Education Act

Postby Fortisian Isles » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Not much good at writing these, but thought I'd give it a go anyway.

The World Assembly;

Acknowledging the significance of the impact of education on a child's life and future,

Recognising that a good, stable education is crucial to the development of fundamental skills in any young person,

Agreeing that it is these skillsets that allow member states and the Assembly as a whole to thrive into future generations,

Disapproving of the current lack of provision in international law for such education,

Hereby;

1. Defines;

• a. "Academic year" as a period during which educational facilities are required to be open, except for mandatory breaks, spanning from September to June,
  • b. "Educational facilities" as any place where citizens receive education under the provisions of this Resolution.

2. Mandates;

• a. that all member states provide an education to all pupils for at least seven academic years, whether through the establishment of government institutions or devolution of education to the private sector,
  • b. that no pupil be denied education on any grounds, and that any such violation of this clause constitutes discrimination as per clause 1. c. of GA#35, The Charter of Civil Rights,
  • c. that all member states allow breaks amounting to at least six weeks during the academic year, which may be imposed in any matter the member state sees fit,
  • d. that any education provided by a member state must be of a reasonable quality in its effectiveness of teaching pupils,
  • e. that all member states codify a national standard for the contents of an education, setting out what must be taught to all pupils..

3. Establishes;
  • a. the International Standards of Education Board (ISEB), tasked with assisting member states in improving quality of education.

4. Further mandates;
  • a. that the content of citizens' education may be determined by a member state so long as it does not contravene any Resolution of this World Assembly,
  • b. that any standard qualification attained by a citizen in a member state is to be recognised by other member states as a valid qualification,
  • c. that any citizen holds the right to receive an education in another member state.

5. Clarifies;
  • a. that no part of this Resolution restricts the rights of any member state to allow, or disallow, where beyond the scope of international law;
    • i. religious teaching/schooling,
    • ii. homeschooling,
    • iii. privately-funded schooling,
    • iv. paid schooling,
    • v. devolution of powers to alter the content of education to educational facilities,
    • vi. any other form of education.
  • b. that this Resolution does not mandate that member states establish a government-operated system of educational facilities, and that any member state may delegate responsibility for education in any manner stated above: however, it remains the responsibility of a member state to ensure that an education is being provided.

(Edit: fixed the formatting error in 5. b.)
Last edited by Fortisian Isles on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:08 pm

(OOC: Welcome to the General Assembly. Although this is a good proposal, the core concept has already been covered by GA #80, A Promotion of Basic Education.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Fortisian Isles
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortisian Isles » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Welcome to the General Assembly. Although this is a good proposal, the core concept has already been covered by GA #80, A Promotion of Basic Education.)

(OOC: Thanks for letting me know.)

Return to General Assembly