NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Civil Rights And Anti-Discrimination Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:38 am

Iciaros wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

Under the current plan, it probably would. However, there is an intense debate, both among our advisors and on these forums, of whether affirmative action should be outlawed or be given a "compelling practical reason" exemption, and how that would be clarified. We would like to hear your thoughts on that. And as for tightening the allowances, not necessarily, but it does expand the rights to the hiring and firing of workers, along with acceptance into clubs and organizations. And the case you mentioned would most certainly be protected by this plan.

"To be frank, Ambassador, I believe a compelling practical reason exemption would be key to persuading my Empress to allow me to endorse your proposal, as we do have welfare employment programmes that, by necessity, distinguish between different economic classes in their operation. However, if you incorporate a 'compelling practical reason' exception, it seems to me that this proposal may fail to be distinguished from the Charter of Civil Rights, and further it may not achieve the purpose you intend it to. It is an unenviable problem. The best I could advise is to qualify the potential practical reasons you would accept as reasonable justifications for discrimination, such as the relief of poverty. That said, that would likely involve the creation of a complete list of potential exceptions, which may be troublesome and potentially inflexible. Nonetheless, that is the only solution I can come up with at this time.

"I must also note that other ambassadors have expressed reservations on the legality of your proposal. I have no such opinions, as I have not examined the resolutions closely enough to come to a conclusion at the moment. However, depending on how further amendments may make this proposal further resemble or contradict the Charter of Civil Rights, there may be a further legality problem to contend with.

"I am sorry for my unhelpfulness, Ambassador, but I do hope you will manage to put forth an impressive proposal in the end. Best of luck to you."

We do agree that we are in a really bad position here. Truthfully, the best option known our eyes is to draft a specific list of exemptions to the rule, such as welfare. If you would like to request that we add anything, that would be greatly appreciated.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: If you're moaning about the "compelling reasons" excuse in CoCR on other threads, why are you leaving the same loophole into yours?

We are considering it. Do you think that would be a good idea?
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:29 am

Hatzisland wrote:Do you think that would be a good idea?

OOC: I don't think any of this is a good idea, but it's not like you're listening to people telling you to drop this.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:09 am

Araraukar wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:Do you think that would be a good idea?

OOC: I don't think any of this is a good idea, but it's not like you're listening to people telling you to drop this.

OOC: You are correct. We support this plan, and should complaints cease to a halt, we will propose it. And you still haven't answered my question: Do you think adding a "compelling practical reasons" exemption would be better?
-A wise man(me)

Christian Confederasion Military
Lobbyist

Father Knows Best State

Postby Christian Confederasion Military » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:13 am

I'm good with everything, but the "Sexual Orientation" thing. If that's removed you have my support.
I'm the military might of the Christian Confederation.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:15 am

Christian Confederasion Military wrote:I'm good with everything, but the "Sexual Orientation" thing. If that's removed you have my support.

"You understand why that is unlikely to fly in the General Assembly, right?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:18 am

Christian Confederasion Military wrote:I'm good with everything, but the "Sexual Orientation" thing. If that's removed you have my support.

It is stated in the Charter for Civil Rights, so we don't have much leverage to remove it. I'll see what I can do.

OOC: Even if I am able to remove the clause, it shouldn't make much of a difference, as it is still protected in the Charter for Civil Rights. But once again, will see what I can do.
Last edited by Hatzisland on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-A wise man(me)

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:19 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:

"You understand why that is unlikely to fly in the General Assembly, right?"

What is?
Sorry so this thread on second account and it interested me.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:20 am

Hatzisland wrote:

It is stated in the Charter for Civil Rights, so we don't have much leverage to remove it. I'll see what I can do.

OOC: Even if I am able to remove the clause, it shouldn't make much of a difference, as it is still protected in the Charter for Civil Rights. But once again, Will see what I can do.

Thanks, I just think sexual oreantation rights should be there own resolution not pined on to a major one.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:29 am

Christian Confederation wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

OOC: Even if I am able to remove the clause, it shouldn't make much of a difference, as it is still protected in the Charter for Civil Rights. But once again, Will see what I can do.

Thanks, I just think sexual oreantation rights should be there own resolution not pined on to a major one.

OOC: As much as I agree with you personally, Separatist Peoples is right. The majority of the WA supports the clause, and would respond poorly if I took it out. I'm trapped either way. Would you consider voting for it anyway?
-A wise man(me)

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 am

Hatzisland wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:Thanks, I just think sexual oreantation rights should be there own resolution not pined on to a major one.

OOC: As much as I agree with you personally, Separatist Peoples is right. The majority of the WA supports the clause, and would respond poorly if I took it out. I'm trapped either way. Would you consider voting for it anyway?

IDK my region votes on how the delaget votes.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:57 am

Hatzisland wrote:

IDK my region votes on how the delaget votes.

OOC: I'm confused. IDK= I don't now, so you are saying "I don't know my region votes on how the delegate votes". So are you saying you are required by law to vote the way your WA delegate votes?
-A wise man(me)

Christian Confederasion Military
Lobbyist

Father Knows Best State

Postby Christian Confederasion Military » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Hatzisland wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:IDK my region votes on how the delaget votes.

OOC: I'm confused. IDK= I don't now, so you are saying "I don't know my region votes on how the delegate votes". So are you saying you are required by law to vote the way your WA delegate votes?

No as a region we vote on how the delaget votes than the delaget votes that way and the other wa members normally fallow the delagets lead.
I'm the military might of the Christian Confederation.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:56 pm

Christian Confederasion Military wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

No as a region we vote on how the delaget votes than the delaget votes that way and the other wa members normally fallow the delagets lead.

Sorry it's been a while and I didn't want to dig for this post.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:59 pm

Christian Confederasion Military wrote:No as a region we vote on how the delaget votes than the delaget votes that way and the other wa members normally fallow the delagets lead.

Sorry it's been a while and I didn't want to dig for this post.

The plan, if no other suggestion are brought up, will be proposed on Friday.
-A wise man(me)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Hatzisland wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:Sorry it's been a while and I didn't want to dig for this post.

(OOC: I suggest not doing that. Your final clause conclusively duplicates CoCR in banning discrimination without a compelling practical purpose. This is fine if there is other unique content, since minor duplication is allowable, but your clause that bans affirmative action without justification is most likely duplication too, since affirmative action is discrimination, just ‘positive’ discrimination.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

(OOC: I suggest not doing that. Your final clause conclusively duplicates CoCR in banning discrimination without a compelling practical purpose. This is fine if there is other unique content, since minor duplication is allowable, but your clause that bans affirmative action without justification is most likely duplication too, since affirmative action is discrimination, just ‘positive’ discrimination.)

I don't think so. I will leave up to the GenSec to decide, but many WA nations still use affirmative action and quotas. If our plan is struck down, then laws will have to be changed across the WA. But, if GenSec does uphold it's legality, would you support it?
-A wise man(me)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:30 am

Hatzisland wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: I suggest not doing that. Your final clause conclusively duplicates CoCR in banning discrimination without a compelling practical purpose. This is fine if there is other unique content, since minor duplication is allowable, but your clause that bans affirmative action without justification is most likely duplication too, since affirmative action is discrimination, just ‘positive’ discrimination.)

I don't think so. I will leave up to the GenSec to decide, but many WA nations still use affirmative action and quotas. If our plan is struck down, then laws will have to be changed across the WA. But, if GenSec does uphold it's legality, would you support it?

(OOC: Whilst I acknowledge that banning quotas is certainly not duplication of CoCR, affirmative action has already been banned by GA #35, at least when there isn’t a compelling practical reason. If, however, Gensec disagrees with me, I would still most likely vote against since there are quotas in some areas of Kenmoria. That wouldn’t be anything to do with your writing, just the topic covered.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:35 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

(OOC: Whilst I acknowledge that banning quotas is certainly not duplication of CoCR, affirmative action has already been banned by GA #35, at least when there isn’t a compelling practical reason. If, however, Gensec disagrees with me, I would still most likely vote against since there are quotas in some areas of Kenmoria. That wouldn’t be anything to do with your writing, just the topic covered.)

Affirmative action is allowed in some cases. We would like to ask that you reconsider your stance. As for the plan, we are full speed ahead.
-A wise man(me)

ChoenStan
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby ChoenStan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Hatzisland wrote:This is an early draft of the plan, intended to reduce discrimination. Please share your comments and suggestions, as it would be greatly appreciated. Also, spoiler=previous draft of the plan. We plan to propose this plan next week.

EDIT: The plan, if there are no objections to its contents, will be proposed on Friday. We would like to thank everyone for their constructive criticisms, and hope to turn this plan into law.
UNDERSTANDING that the World Assembly has outlawed discrimination based on race, gender, economic status, religion, nationality, and more,

SEEKING to expand these rights,

DEFINING affirmative action as applying a minimum or maximum percentage of acceptance based on sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, and sexual orientation or sexual identity,

RECOGNIZING racial quotas and affirmative action in some cases as discrimination,

The World Assembly,

OUTLAWS the use of quotas both in the public and private sector,

RESTRICTS the use of affirmative action to only when there is a clear, very compelling, and practical reason to do so,

MANDATES that both governments and companies may only use sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity as a factor in hiring, firing, or accepting into organizations and schools if there is a compelling practical reason to do so.

UNDERSTANDING that the World Assembly has outlawed discrimination based on race, gender, economic status, religion, nationality, and more,

DEFINING affirmative action as applying a minimum or maximum percentage of acceptance based on sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, and sexual orientation or sexual identity,

RECOGNIZING racial quotas and affirmative action in some cases as discrimination,

The World Assembly,

RESTRICTS the use of affirmative action to only when there is a compelling practical reason to do so,

MANDATES that both governments and companies may only use sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity as a factor in hiring, firing, or accepting into organizations and schools if there is a compelling practical reason to do so.

RECOGNIZING affirmative action and racial quotas as discrimination,

The World Assembly,

OUTLAWS the use of affirmative action and quotas both in the public and private sector,

MANDATES that both governments and companies not use sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity as a factor in hiring, firing, or accepting into organizations and schools, unless there is a compelling practical reason to do so.

SEEKING to expand those rights,

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZES affirmative action and quotas as discrimination,

OUTLAWS the use of affirmative action and quotas both in the public and private sector,

MANDATES that both governments and companies not use sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity as a factor in hiring, firing, or accepting into organizations and schools, unless there is a compelling practical reason to do so.

The World Assembly,

[spoiler]

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

CLARIFIES that religious organizations and schools, hard labor jobs, gender based clubs(i.e Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts), and political organizations will be considered to have practical reasons to discriminate.

UNDERSTANDING that the World Assembly has outlawed discrimination based on race, gender, economic status, religion, or nationality,

SEEKING to expand those freedoms,

The World Assembly,

CLARIFIES that religious organizations and schools, hard labor jobs, and other employers and organizations will be considered to have practical reasons to discriminate.

I very very like this las but this las need more work on edit

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:11 pm

ChoenStan wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:This is an early draft of the plan, intended to reduce discrimination. Please share your comments and suggestions, as it would be greatly appreciated. Also, spoiler=previous draft of the plan. We plan to propose this plan next week.

EDIT: The plan, if there are no objections to its contents, will be proposed on Friday. We would like to thank everyone for their constructive criticisms, and hope to turn this plan into law.

The World Assembly,

RESTRICTS the use of affirmative action to only when there is a clear, very compelling, and practical reason to do so,

The World Assembly,

RESTRICTS the use of affirmative action to only when there is a compelling practical reason to do so,

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

[spoiler]

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

CLARIFIES that religious organizations and schools, hard labor jobs, gender based clubs(i.e Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts), and political organizations will be considered to have practical reasons to discriminate.

UNDERSTANDING that the World Assembly has outlawed discrimination based on race, gender, economic status, religion, or nationality,

SEEKING to expand those freedoms,

The World Assembly,

CLARIFIES that religious organizations and schools, hard labor jobs, and other employers and organizations will be considered to have practical reasons to discriminate.

I very very like this las but this las need more work on edit

How so?

OOC: I'm assuming you mean "I like this very much but this needs more edits."
-A wise man(me)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives