NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Civil Rights And Anti-Discrimination Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Civil Rights And Anti-Discrimination Act

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:16 am

This is the proposed draft of the "Civil Rights and Anti-Discrimination Act" a mild in strength plan intended to expand civil rights. We'd like to thank every nation that has given feedback on the plan, as a lot of changes have been made since the first draft. We hope you will sponsor it on the floor, and hope that you vote for it if it gets to the GA. Also, spoilers=previous draft.

UNDERSTANDING that the World Assembly has outlawed discrimination based on race, gender, economic status, religion, nationality, and more,

SEEKING to expand these rights,

DEFINING affirmative action as applying a minimum or maximum percentage of acceptance based on sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, and sexual orientation or sexual identity,

RECOGNIZING racial quotas and affirmative action in some cases as discrimination,

The World Assembly,

OUTLAWS the use of quotas both in the public and private sector,

RESTRICTS the use of affirmative action to only when there is a clear, very compelling, and practical reason to do so,

MANDATES that both governments and companies may only use sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity as a factor in hiring, firing, or accepting into organizations and schools if there is a compelling practical reason to do so.

UNDERSTANDING that the World Assembly has outlawed discrimination based on race, gender, economic status, religion, nationality, and more,

DEFINING affirmative action as applying a minimum or maximum percentage of acceptance based on sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, and sexual orientation or sexual identity,

RECOGNIZING racial quotas and affirmative action in some cases as discrimination,

The World Assembly,

OUTLAWS the use of quotas both in the public and private sector,

RESTRICTS the use of affirmative action to only when there is a compelling practical reason to do so,

MANDATES that both governments and companies may only use sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity as a factor in hiring, firing, or accepting into organizations and schools if there is a compelling practical reason to do so.

RECOGNIZING affirmative action and racial quotas as discrimination,

The World Assembly,

OUTLAWS the use of affirmative action and quotas both in the public and private sector,

MANDATES that both governments and companies not use sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity as a factor in hiring, firing, or accepting into organizations and schools, unless there is a compelling practical reason to do so.

SEEKING to expand those rights,

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZES affirmative action and quotas as discrimination,

OUTLAWS the use of affirmative action and quotas both in the public and private sector,

MANDATES that both governments and companies not use sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity as a factor in hiring, firing, or accepting into organizations and schools, unless there is a compelling practical reason to do so.

The World Assembly,

[spoiler]

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

The World Assembly,

CLARIFIES that religious organizations and schools, hard labor jobs, gender based clubs(i.e Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts), and political organizations will be considered to have practical reasons to discriminate.

UNDERSTANDING that the World Assembly has outlawed discrimination based on race, gender, economic status, religion, or nationality,

SEEKING to expand those freedoms,

The World Assembly,

CLARIFIES that religious organizations and schools, hard labor jobs, and other employers and organizations will be considered to have practical reasons to discriminate.
Last edited by Hatzisland on Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 30 times in total.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Nyasantara
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nyasantara » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:16 am

Honorable Ambassador, as you might not be aware, the government of Nyasantara performs a raft of affirmative action policies for women and groups that were marginalised in the colonial era such as certain indigenous groups and LGBTI society. Why is that? We see that left unchecked, these groups would be left in a precarious state, with no advancement or development. Under Nyasantara's affirmative action policies, we ensure that marginalised groups have a real voice in matters of administration and economic affairs by encouraging the appointment of qualified peoples from marginalised backgrounds to fill up the roles of leadership and administration in government, economic and political affairs. Our government is now moving swiftly to combat ableism and other forms of discriminatory practices towards the disabled and those with mental illness with a new raft of policies that will be put up for debate in our Assembly very soon.

Some might argue that this gets in the way of some mythic "meritocracy" but we argue that such a meritocracy does not exist. In no country we have surveyed does this ideal selection method exist. We see, far too often, that the dominant group of people, who hold the most power, be it politically or economically, have the most sway. Their standards are deemed "objective" and worthy of merit. They are able to accrue for themselves vast amounts of power, wealth and prestige while marginalised groups are cast as having some sort of moral, personal failing. A reading of the basics of this proposition, at least to our eyes, appears to cement this reality. A world where the already powerful keep their power while any attempt to assist the disadvantaged and downtrodden is cast as "discrimination". This does nothing to expand anti-discrimination laws but instead, it protects groups that are already powerful and who already hold power.

The government of the People's Republic of Nyasantara humbly rejects this proposal and we hope that in the future, the language of civil rights and anti-discrimination will be used to further the cause of the suffering and disenfranchised peoples everywhere.

Karteria
Envoy

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:46 am

"'Along with other organizations and employers' does little to specify and basically nullifies the clause before it. As for the idea, we are still debating its merits and will come to a conclusion soon."

OOC: You should determine the category and strength of this proposal (probably Civil Rights and Significant, respectively). I'm not too familiar about past resolutions to determine legality, but make sure to check Passed GA Resolutions for any potential contradictions. You even mention a previous resolution in the preamble, so I'm sure you're familiar.
World Assembly Delegate for the New West Indies region.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 am

“This is a nice idea, but it has already been done by the Charter of Civil Rights, GA #35, which bans discrimination generally.”

(OOC: See here.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:00 am

Hatzisland wrote:MANDATES that both governments and companies not use sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity as a factor in hiring, firing, or accepting into organizations and schools, unless there is a practical reason to do so.

CLARIFIES that religious organizations and schools, hard labor jobs, along with other organizations and employers, will be considered to have practical reasons to discriminate.[/box]

"Reducing old-boy groupthink is an extremely necessary practical process that no modern organization can live without. We find this proposal acceptable, if pointless."

OOC: It's hard to tell if this actually does anything based on the highlighted portions. On the other hand, the CLARIFIES clause, if you insist on couching diversity-in-hiring initiatives as "discrimination," might render this illegal for contradicting GAR #35. You might wish to rephrase.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Virtual States
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Virtual States » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 am

The relevant World Assembly office receives a secure electronic message. It reads:

"The National Government of the Union of Virtual States (please ignore our misclassification as a Federation) will not be supporting this proposal or voting for it should it come to a vote. The proposal is clearly trying to further the proposing nation's agenda, which we believe is a fair goal for WA proposals and resolutions, however we do not share this particular agenda, which we view as an attempt to undermine civil rights and work against equitability and certainly the removal of barriers causing inequality.

World Assembly Liason Office, Department of Foreign Relations, National Government of the Union of Virtual States"

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 am

"Thank you for your proposal, Ambassador. My Empress has instructed me not to support this proposal, but I am not so firmly decided myself. If I could clarify with you, I believe your proposal intends to expand on GAR#35 The Charter of Civil Rights, in particular its nondiscrimination clause under Article 1(c). However, both your proposal and GAR#35 mention exemptions to discrimination on the grounds of practicality. Is there a difference in effect between GAR#35 and your proposal, Ambassador, and if so, what would this difference entail?

"Thank you for your time."
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Karteria wrote:"'Along with other organizations and employers' does little to specify and basically nullifies the clause before it. As for the idea, we are still debating its merits and will come to a conclusion soon."

OOC: You should determine the category and strength of this proposal (probably Civil Rights and Significant, respectively). I'm not too familiar about past resolutions to determine legality, but make sure to check Passed GA Resolutions for any potential contradictions. You even mention a previous resolution in the preamble, so I'm sure you're familiar.

Yes I am. The main inspiration for this plan was to expand on the rights granted in "The Charter of Civil Rights". If there are any other plans setting precedent for our plan, please don't hesitate to inform us.
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:46 pm

“I have now realised that this does not in fact duplicate CocR, since it outlwars affirmative action. In that case, I fully oppose this piece of legislation, since businesses are free to discriminate almost any way they please, regardless of whether it is against the minority or the majority.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“This is a nice idea, but it has already been done by the Charter of Civil Rights, GA #35, which bans discrimination generally.”

(OOC: See here.)

As stated by another nation above, the wording of the Charter For Civil Rights could allow for loopholes on issues such as affirmative action(though I don't think it does, those nations are still getting away with it.) This plan clarifies that affirmative action, quotas, and discriminatory hirings and firings are prohibited.
-A wise man(me)

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:MANDATES that both governments and companies not use sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity as a factor in hiring, firing, or accepting into organizations and schools, unless there is a practical reason to do so.

CLARIFIES that religious organizations and schools, hard labor jobs, along with other organizations and employers, will be considered to have practical reasons to discriminate.[/box]

"Reducing old-boy groupthink is an extremely necessary practical process that no modern organization can live without. We find this proposal acceptable, if pointless."

OOC: It's hard to tell if this actually does anything based on the highlighted portions. On the other hand, the CLARIFIES clause, if you insist on couching diversity-in-hiring initiatives as "discrimination," might render this illegal for contradicting GAR #35. You might wish to rephrase.

We have analyzed the plan, and found no legal challenge. As for affirmative action, if anything it should be pointless because Article 1A of GAR #35 states that discrimination is illegal, but as I have stated before, nations are getting away with discriminatory quotas and affirmative action. This plan puts that battle to rest.
-A wise man(me)

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“I have now realised that this does not in fact duplicate CocR, since it outlwars affirmative action. In that case, I fully oppose this piece of legislation, since businesses are free to discriminate almost any way they please, regardless of whether it is against the minority or the majority.”

I don't believe you have read the Charter For Civil Rights. It clerkly states "All inhabitants of member states have the right not to be and indeed must not be discriminated against on grounds including sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity, or any other arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorization which may be used for the purposes of discrimination". This clause applies to both the public and private sector. Companies can not discriminate. If they are in your nation(and you are a WA member) you must order them to stop immediately, or face international sanctions.

OCC: Also, ignoring GA Resolutions is a form of meta-gaming. I don't know if that is a punishable offense, but it most certainly is wrong.
-A wise man(me)

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:10 pm

Iciaros wrote:"Thank you for your proposal, Ambassador. My Empress has instructed me not to support this proposal, but I am not so firmly decided myself. If I could clarify with you, I believe your proposal intends to expand on GAR#35 The Charter of Civil Rights, in particular its nondiscrimination clause under Article 1(c). However, both your proposal and GAR#35 mention exemptions to discrimination on the grounds of practicality. Is there a difference in effect between GAR#35 and your proposal, Ambassador, and if so, what would this difference entail?

"Thank you for your time."

No. In fact, the clause in this plan was heavily inspired by GAR #35. We just felt that the rights needed to be clarified, and in the eyes of our government, slightly expanded, due to the closing of loopholes in the resolution.
-A wise man(me)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:02 pm

Hatzisland wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“I have now realised that this does not in fact duplicate CocR, since it outlwars affirmative action. In that case, I fully oppose this piece of legislation, since businesses are free to discriminate almost any way they please, regardless of whether it is against the minority or the majority.”

I don't believe you have read the Charter For Civil Rights. It clerkly states "All inhabitants of member states have the right not to be and indeed must not be discriminated against on grounds including sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity, or any other arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorization which may be used for the purposes of discrimination". This clause applies to both the public and private sector. Companies can not discriminate. If they are in your nation(and you are a WA member) you must order them to stop immediately, or face international sanctions.

OCC: Also, ignoring GA Resolutions is a form of meta-gaming. I don't know if that is a punishable offense, but it most certainly is wrong.

(OOC: I’m not in the WA. The Kenmoria WA Mission is, but Kenmoria isn’t.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Hatzisland wrote:We have analyzed the plan, and found no legal challenge. As for affirmative action, if anything it should be pointless because Article 1A of GAR #35 states that discrimination is illegal, but as I have stated before, nations are getting away with discriminatory quotas and affirmative action. This plan puts that battle to rest.

:roll:

I'm informing you that defining a positive hiring decision ("Our company's culture is uncompetitive or otherwise bad because all our white male executives think alike, let's hire some folks who aren't white males to shake things up") as discrimination per se, and then claiming that some organizations shall have the right to discriminate without any elaboration (e.g. to further a compelling practical purpose), is a contradiction of GAR #35. It is not hard for you to add some language addressing this and fixing the problem. But if you submit this as it is now, I will have to mark it illegal. Just add a few things as I've described here, or stop defining positive demographic hiring decisions as "discrimination," and this problem will vanish.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

(OOC: I’m not in the WA. The Kenmoria WA Mission is, but Kenmoria isn’t.)

Then why are you saying you are opposed to my plan if A) it doesn't affect you and B) you can't even vote on it?
-A wise man(me)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Hatzisland wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: I’m not in the WA. The Kenmoria WA Mission is, but Kenmoria isn’t.)

Then why are you saying you are opposed to my plan if A) it doesn't affect you and B) you can't even vote on it?

(OOC: Lots of nations comments in proposals and aren’t in the WA. For example, Araraukar and Bears Armed. However, both Bears Armed and I, along with many other players, have WA Missions, which are puppet nations for the sake of voting on proposals. Also, I should point out that Kenmoria still follows almost all resolutions, and doesn’t really want to add one to the list of the five that is doesn’t.

On the actual proposal, it would still be annoying for the WA Mission to have to host only businesses compliant with these rules, which wouldn’t be all of the major ones. I also can’t see why religious organisations are exempted, as they are often the most discriminatory type of business.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:12 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

(OOC: Lots of nations comments in proposals and aren’t in the WA. For example, Araraukar and Bears Armed. However, both Bears Armed and I, along with many other players, have WA Missions, which are puppet nations for the sake of voting on proposals. Also, I should point out that Kenmoria still follows almost all resolutions, and doesn’t really want to add one to the list of the five that is doesn’t.

On the actual proposal, it would still be annoying for the WA Mission to have to host only businesses compliant with these rules, which wouldn’t be all of the major ones. I also can’t see why religious organisations are exempted, as they are often the most discriminatory type of business.)

They would be allowed to "discriminate" against non-religious people. You wouldn't want an atheist as a member of a Bible study club, at least if they were only there to ruin things.

OOC: I personally believe puppet nations are wrong. You either comply with WA laws, or you don't. Because of that, your point about compliance without laws really doesn't matter.
-A wise man(me)

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:We have analyzed the plan, and found no legal challenge. As for affirmative action, if anything it should be pointless because Article 1A of GAR #35 states that discrimination is illegal, but as I have stated before, nations are getting away with discriminatory quotas and affirmative action. This plan puts that battle to rest.

:roll:

I'm informing you that defining a positive hiring decision ("Our company's culture is uncompetitive or otherwise bad because all our white male executives think alike, let's hire some folks who aren't white males to shake things up") as discrimination per se, and then claiming that some organizations shall have the right to discriminate without any elaboration (e.g. to further a compelling practical purpose), is a contradiction of GAR #35. It is not hard for you to add some language addressing this and fixing the problem. But if you submit this as it is now, I will have to mark it illegal. Just add a few things as I've described here, or stop defining positive demographic hiring decisions as "discrimination," and this problem will vanish.

Is the problem fixed now? I have edited the plan.
-A wise man(me)

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Hatzisland, there is no reason for you to post 4 times in a row. It is borderline spam. In the future, please work on incorporating multiple replies in one post.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Jakker wrote:Hatzisland, there is no reason for you to post 4 times in a row. It is borderline spam. In the future, please work on incorporating multiple replies in one post.

Will do.
-A wise man(me)

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Can you give a compelling reason that affirmative action is bad but discrimination in religion, physical labour and gender segregation is good?
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Falcania wrote:Can you give a compelling reason that affirmative action is bad but discrimination in religion, physical labour and gender segregation is good?

I have already given a religious example above, physical labor would have to "discriminate" against people who are disabled, and boy scouts and girl scouts do technically "discriminate" against the other gender. I subscribe to the belief that we should use a dictionary definition in my resolution's. I used the textbook definition of discrimination, not the public's general interpretation of the word.
-A wise man(me)

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Hatzisland wrote:
No. In fact, the clause in this plan was heavily inspired by GAR #35. We just felt that the rights needed to be clarified, and in the eyes of our government, slightly expanded, due to the closing of loopholes in the resolution.

"Thank you for your clarification, Ambassador. If I may further query, how would you (and this proposal) define affirmative action? My understanding of affirmative action primarily stems from studies of other cultures, as we have typically not favoured classes on bases besides economic status. Perhaps the specific ambit of a ban on affirmative action could be defined within this proposal?"
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:18 am

Hatzisland wrote:
Falcania wrote:Can you give a compelling reason that affirmative action is bad but discrimination in religion, physical labour and gender segregation is good?

I have already given a religious example above, physical labor would have to "discriminate" against people who are disabled, and boy scouts and girl scouts do technically "discriminate" against the other gender. I subscribe to the belief that we should use a dictionary definition in my resolution's. I used the textbook definition of discrimination, not the public's general interpretation of the word.

I'll rephrase my question in a simpler fashion in the hope you might actually answer it.

Why is affirmative action bad?
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives