NATION

PASSWORD

DRAFT: Protection of Hate Speech

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:11 pm

No surrender ever wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Again, you should look at GAR#436.

My resolution goes much further, the already passed resolution mentioned, does not mandate that the state protect speech, only that it does not interfere with it. My resolution would go further, for example, requiring that the police protect a hate groups rally.

OOC: No, your proposal is illegal for duplication. You have to repeal GAR#436 before you can replace the topic.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

No surrender ever
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby No surrender ever » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Elyreia wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:This proposal will never get off the ground. GA#436 "Protecting Free Expression."

I feel the need to quote this for the author of the current resolution.

Also, as stated, Free Speech covers Hate Speech. It just doesn't cover the private consequences (i.e. me clocking them in the jaw a few dozen times with a baseball bat).

My resolution goes much further, the already passed resolution mentioned, does not mandate that the state protect speech, only that it does not interfere with it. My resolution would go further, for example, requiring that the police protect a hate groups rally.

Therefore, my resolution would protect hate groups, i.e, my resolution makes the state protect hate groups from violence. My resolution would also protect the government jobs of members of hate groups. My resolution requires nations to facilitate hateful speech. I.e. providing equal government platforms to them, on the same basis as other groups. For example, the government could not deny A hate group the ability to speak at a public university or hold a rally there, they would have to allow a rally/meeting/speech at no cost, and protect the event, at no cost as well. The government would also be required to protect that group, at no cost. Also, if a hateful speaker came to a public university, The government would be required to protect that speaker, at no cost.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:30 pm

No surrender ever wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:*snip tincan grumbling*

Your proposal places prohibitions on activities that GA#436 only requests that "reasonable restrictions" may be applied upon. As it stands, it is unwieldy, unworkable, inferior to extant legislation and in any case likely to get ROFLstomped at vote. Note also GA#27 "Freedom of Assembly" which already prohibits assembly organised for the purposes of seeking violence. Besides, many terms in this resolution are not defined - what is a "protected characteristic" or "yelling fire in a crowded theater" for those of us not familiar with the (RealWorldStates) Equality Act 2010 and First Amendment regulations respectively?
No surrender ever wrote:...requiring that the police protect a hate groups rally.

Therefore, my resolution would protect hate groups, i.e, my resolution makes the state protect hate groups from violence.

GA#27 "Freedom of Assembly."

No surrender ever wrote:My resolution would also protect the government jobs of members of hate groups. My resolution requires nations to facilitate hateful speech. I.e. providing equal government platforms to them, on the same basis as other groups. For example, the government could not deny A hate group the ability to speak at a public university or hold a rally there, they would have to allow a rally/meeting/speech at no cost, and protect the event, at no cost as well. The government would also be required to protect that group, at no cost. Also, if a hateful speaker came to a public university, The government would be required to protect that speaker, at no cost.

Even if they were a member of Generic Hate Group #85024, which seeks the overthrow of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ government by any means necessary? Are you attempting to advocate that police officers be placed on zero wage in order to defend people that hate their guts?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Elyreia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Elyreia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:04 pm

As stated previously, this proposal is a duplicate of other resolutions that cover the same exact topics. Just that in this case Hate Speech is explicitly called out. The equivalent would be me proposing a new resolution that requires all Elyreians to be afforded the same rights as other sentient beings. "Elyreian" may not be explicitly stated in the CoCR, but we are implicitly covered.

In the same way, previous legislation already implicitly covers Hate Speech, by explicitly covering All Speech.

Elyreia opposes redundant and needless legislation.
The Principality of Elyreia (Dārilarostegun Elyreia)
The Principality of Elyreia Wiki

World Assembly Ambassador: Dārilaros Korus Vaelans
Uncrowned Head of the House of Vaelans-Volaria
[he/him/she/her/they/them]
(Character Dossier)

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:38 am

"What is 'hate speech?'" the ambassador looked perplexed; "Is it like...speech that some people don't like?"
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:42 am

Tinhampton wrote:
No surrender ever wrote:

Your proposal places prohibitions on activities that GA#436 only requests that "reasonable restrictions" may be applied upon. As it stands, it is unwieldy, unworkable, inferior to extant legislation and in any case likely to get ROFLstomped at vote. Note also GA#27 "Freedom of Assembly" which already prohibits assembly organised for the purposes of seeking violence. Besides, many terms in this resolution are not defined - what is a "protected characteristic" or "yelling fire in a crowded theater" for those of us not familiar with the (RealWorldStates) Equality Act 2010 and First Amendment regulations respectively?
No surrender ever wrote:...requiring that the police protect a hate groups rally.

Therefore, my resolution would protect hate groups, i.e, my resolution makes the state protect hate groups from violence.

GA#27 "Freedom of Assembly."

No surrender ever wrote:My resolution would also protect the government jobs of members of hate groups. My resolution requires nations to facilitate hateful speech. I.e. providing equal government platforms to them, on the same basis as other groups. For example, the government could not deny A hate group the ability to speak at a public university or hold a rally there, they would have to allow a rally/meeting/speech at no cost, and protect the event, at no cost as well. The government would also be required to protect that group, at no cost. Also, if a hateful speaker came to a public university, The government would be required to protect that speaker, at no cost.

Even if they were a member of Generic Hate Group #85024, which seeks the overthrow of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ government by any means necessary? Are you attempting to advocate that police officers be placed on zero wage in order to defend people that hate their guts?

"The Havenic government..." he tried to work out the correct words "Already has such protection in its own domestic law. Nobody can be fired for a political opinion, and these 'hate groups' seem like violent political groups, we don't have the term of hate group in the Haven. Political violence is expression, and so it is protected under Havenic law. The proposer should advocate that his nation joins the Haven if he wishes to be part of a body protecting all expression."
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Elyreia
Envoy

Postby Elyreia » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Political violence is expression, and so it is protected under Havenic law.

A queer system, ambassador. In Elyreia, political violence is curtailed. Each House is responsible for the protection of their citizens, both the protesters and those opposed to them. Violence is dealt with quickly and harshly.

(Character Dossier)

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:36 pm

Elyreia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Political violence is expression, and so it is protected under Havenic law.

A queer system, ambassador. In Elyreia, political violence is curtailed. Each House is responsible for the protection of their citizens, both the protesters and those opposed to them. Violence is dealt with quickly and harshly.

"In the Haven, we fight regularly for our views. We don't have regular civil wars, but armed clashes are common."

Elyreia
Envoy

Postby Elyreia » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:29 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:"In the Haven, we fight regularly for our views. We don't have regular civil wars, but armed clashes are common."

Assaulting an Elyreian beyond a fist brawl will land them in a court and, if serious enough, a court martial. All Elyreians are reservists, after all.

(Character Dossier)

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:44 am

"Having read the proposal and the arguments set forth by my fellow ambassadors, my Empress has instructed me to oppose this resolution should it reach the World Assembly floor. The position of our leadership is that already existing resolutions will suffice to protect speech to a reasonable extent. My further opinion is that hate speech is not worth protecting, but that is merely the point of view of a humble ambassador and not a royal decree."
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:02 am

OOC: Protecting hatespeech has nothing to do with criticizing governments - and yes, government officials should be protected from hatespeech as private citizens in terms of ethnicity, sexuality, etc.

Why should hatespeech be protected? Like, give me one good reason beyond "because I want to say nasty things and not get in trouble".
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:59 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Protecting hatespeech has nothing to do with criticizing governments - and yes, government officials should be protected from hatespeech as private citizens in terms of ethnicity, sexuality, etc.

Why should hatespeech be protected? Like, give me one good reason beyond "because I want to say nasty things and not get in trouble".

(OOC: I suppose the justification would be on the grounds of inherent rights, like 'no one should have the right to decide what I can or cannot say'. It's kind of a basic, extreme stance on the idea of freedom of speech, and it most likely falls under the 'rights as trumps' school of thought, where one's fundamental right (presuming one accepts the ability to say anything as a fundamental right) cannot be abrogated for any reason other than another competing and directly affected fundamental right. No amount of other interest, goods, or indirectly-affected rights would suffice, no matter how disastrous or compelling.

It's... well, yeah, it's a very extreme way of looking at it.)
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

KhanterWinters
Attaché

Founded: May 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby KhanterWinters » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:27 am

:rofl:
"Your freedom ends, when starts the other freedom"
Therefore there is not 100% freedom, because there is something called respect.
OOC and IC, hateful comments are part of freedom of speech? Yes, but you cannot protect something that potentially can harm other.
"It is wise to follow proper channels of communication, but communication is a two lanes road. You evade it, and you will have a problem." ~ Khanter W. Molchaniye.

My Statements are under my own responsibility and without any official representation of the regions in which I belong.

Framed by a Browser Console and photoshop
Founder of The Empire of Aztlan

Roavin April/4/19 At 1:22 am
I CAN NEVER FIND MY F*****G SOCKS
Cormac June/4/19 12:11
We're talking about food in #neutral_ground, NS families in #military_gameplay, I'm uh not sure what in #security_council but not SC resolutions...
This server is anarchy! Anarchy I say!

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:15 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Protecting hatespeech has nothing to do with criticizing governments - and yes, government officials should be protected from hatespeech as private citizens in terms of ethnicity, sexuality, etc.

This crosses the OOC-IC line, because the Havenic view, and that of me IRL is the same.
Hate speech should be protected because it is speech, and all speech should be so protected. I don't distinguish.

Blueflarst
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Blueflarst » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:00 am

The freedom of speech is only wanted by the left for themselves when some conversative uses it is hate speech i am a hater which would turn down a lot of sexual minorities rights but for them this is hate
Economic position -0,10
Social position 3
[_★_]_[' ]_
( -_-) (-_Q) If you understand that both Capitalism and Socialism have ideas that deserve merit, put this in your signature.
Card
Blueflarst seek the physical, psychical and spiritual evolution.
“The care of nature and the environment is of ultimate importance. We cannot prosper we cannot even survive without a healthy, viable ecosystem to support us.”
“Violence is not an unnatural thing. It is the normal state of being.”
“Our game is a long game. We do not plan for the next year, or the next ten years, or the next budget cycle. We plan for eternity.”
"Knights are noble warriors that fight for right, not for personal gain. "
I am a spirit have a soul and own a body

Nyasantara
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nyasantara » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:59 am

The government of the People's Republic of Nyasantara categorically rejects and completely opposes the proposal that hate speech be protected. Hate Speech, by definition, is speech that is made to deliberately target members of marginalized, oppressed and disenfranchised peoples. We see no reason why hateful people should be given a platform, let alone protection, to air their harmful views to the rest of society. Homophobia, transphobia, misogyny and racism must not be encouraged but be stamped out entirely. The People's Government will continue its efforts to uplift and amplify the voices of the downtrodden and marginalized in all policy and in our guiding ideology.
Last edited by Nyasantara on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karteria
Envoy

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:19 am

"Even if this was made legal, we categorically oppose. Hate speech has no place in a democratic system, and should have no place anywhere for that matter."
World Assembly Delegate for the New West Indies region.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:11 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:"What is 'hate speech?'" the ambassador looked perplexed; "Is it like...speech that some people don't like?"

IC: "Hate speech originally meant inciting hatred against a group of people based on their race, religion, sexuality, etc" the Ambassador states. "However in some circumstances the term has been misused. Real hate speech - though abhorrent - should be protected either way, but we believe that sufficient legislation is already in place."

Grug Island
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Grug Island » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:51 am

Protect hate speech all you want
Nothing protect you from Grug
Last edited by Grug Island on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grug Like Rock

Maowi
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:39 am

I think GAR 436 is sufficient for this issue: why would we need to actively protect hate speech? Of course, if people attack hate speakers that's still illegal (at least in Maowi) but there's no need to provide extra protection. As it stands, against.
THE SUPINE SOCIALIST SLOTHLAND OF MAOWI

hi!LETHARGY ⭐️ LANGUOR ⭐️ LAZINESShi!

Home | Guide for Visitors | Religion | Fashion

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Who decides what “hate speech” is? All too frequently it is used as a political weapon where “dissent” is equated to “hate” by both ruling and opposition. This is how you create political prisoners. It is also used as a justification for stifling debate.

Is what we want really this? Where all debate and dissent is forbidden because somebody from the other side says it is “hate”? Do we want every word to become “hate” because somebody somewhere is offended by it?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:

This crosses the OOC-IC line, because the Havenic view, and that of me IRL is the same.
Hate speech should be protected because it is speech, and all speech should be so protected. I don't distinguish.

My government would disagree with you. Your rights end where they infringe on the rights of others and hate-speech enters that category. It is why I am so annoyed that there hasn't been more anger about "Umishimiwam" or whatever that song is called being sung by public officials.
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Hiram Land
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hiram Land » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:01 pm

i will never support this, EVEN IF THIS GETS INTO VOTE, IM VOTING NO. HATE SPEECH IS HORRIBLE, DISCRIMINATORY, AND NOT FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
Слава Україні!
#KyrusiaSoTrue
he/him
uwu
National Information
Unidas et Hyramalunde
Nationbuilder
Old Dispatches

Alternate: Hiramia-Omfew
_____ Hiram Land _____
Hyramas or Bust!
Thank you to Nanako Island for providing help for the signature.

Proud UFN member
RIP UNoE and UoJ

Havari
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Havari » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:05 pm

Have my fellow representatives ever heard of the "paradox of tolerance"? It is a theory set out by Karl Marx that a completely tolerant society, one that allows every kind of speech- including hate speech- will not remain tolerant for long. Allowing bigotry to go unpunished means it will take root and grow like a weed until it spreads. In order to truly promote tolerance, one must offer no stage for hate speech.
The proposed law would only protect those seeking to do harm to marginalized peoples, and would do nothing to promote freedom of speech.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:17 pm

OOC: This plans seems informally written, and could potentially get struck down because of it. Please work on improving the layout of the plan.

ICC: The Nation of Hatzisland is in full support of this plan.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly