NATION

PASSWORD

[Inactive] Repeal Rules of Surrender

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Inactive] Repeal Rules of Surrender

Postby Old Hope » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:53 pm

The World Assembly,

Noting that Rules of Surrender does not contain a provision for ignoring offers of surrender from members of armed forces of a nation - especially a non-member nation - whose soldiers are known for using surrender as a deplorable tactic to win combat,

that the resolution does not protect continuation of hostilities against people under a symbol of truce when there is clear evidence that they are under orders to feign surrender(e.g. due to intelligence operations),

Concludes that the resolution is abusable by bad-faith nations to an extent that endangers the success of member nations during wartime, and thus repeals General Assembly Resolution 306.
Last edited by Old Hope on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:01 pm

OOC: Honest Mistake.

DECLARES that those belligerents in violation of the duties herein shall have their protections as outlined in Article I.1 revoked as the situation requires;

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Honest Mistake.

DECLARES that those belligerents in violation of the duties herein shall have their protections as outlined in Article I.1 revoked as the situation requires;

OOC:You find it a reasonable assumption that the resolution allows revoking the protections for all members of the armed forces of Nation X if armed members of Nation X have acted contrary to their duties in the past?
While it may be a reasonable to assume that ordering violations of surrender rules to gain advantage is already a violation, what happens if the (credible, but false) intelligence report was incorrect, and the belligerents were thus slaughtered under the symbol of truce?
Last edited by Old Hope on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Old Hope wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Honest Mistake.

OOC:You find it a reasonable assumption that the resolution allows revoking the protections for all members of the armed forces of Nation X if armed members of Nation X have acted contrary to their duties in the past?
While it may be a reasonable to assume that ordering violations of surrender rules to gain advantage is already a violation, what happens if the (credible, but false) intelligence report was incorrect, and the belligerents were thus slaughtered under the symbol of truce?

OOC: I'm under the correct assumption that member states may suspend their obligations under Rules of Surrender when the opposing side violates their obligations.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Old Hope wrote:OOC:You find it a reasonable assumption that the resolution allows revoking the protections for all members of the armed forces of Nation X if armed members of Nation X have acted contrary to their duties in the past?

OOC: I'm under the correct assumption that member states may suspend their obligations under Rules of Surrender when the opposing side violates their obligations.

OOC:I have thought about it more, and carefully read everything again, and I do no longer wish to repeal this resolution. Thanks for the help.

Return to General Assembly