NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal: Def. The Rights Of S. And G. Minorities

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Jocospor
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Jocospor » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:20 pm

Another one.
Unaware that this World Assembly made distinctions of inferiority and superiority based on sexuality and gender.

Primarily concerned that GAR#457 makes no effort to offer some definition for the following terms:

• Gender; and
  • Sexuality.
Believing that such definitions should be provided given that the above terms, as GAR#457 does in fact advocate, are so open to interpretation.

Of the opinion that with such terms lacking definition, clauses like the fourth (4) could be dramatically misinterpreted by member nations, with the possibility of severe repercussions (including but not limited to those of political, economic and societal natures).

Further of the opinion that these definitions have been wilfully omitted.

Hereby repeals GAR#457 Defending The Rights Of Sexual And Gender Minorities.
Last edited by Jocospor on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAIL THE CONFEDERATION!
CONFEDERATION OF CORRUPT DICTATORS | IMPERIAL OFFICES
JOCOSPOR | CENTRAL IMPERIAL DIREKTORATE

The Shadow Cult is rising...

Battlion
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Battlion » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Gender and sexuality are defined in other resolutions.... why double up?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:45 pm

Battlion wrote:Gender and sexuality are defined in other resolutions.... why double up?

OOC: Also, they're normal English words, and you don't need to define normal English words.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Jocospor
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Jocospor » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Battlion wrote:Gender and sexuality are defined in other resolutions.... why double up?

OOC: Also, they're normal English words, and you don't need to define normal English words.

OOC: Two decades ago, gender equalled either "male" or "female". This resolution would have us believe that is not the case.

If you can provide a definition for gender, perhaps the author could use that.
HAIL THE CONFEDERATION!
CONFEDERATION OF CORRUPT DICTATORS | IMPERIAL OFFICES
JOCOSPOR | CENTRAL IMPERIAL DIREKTORATE

The Shadow Cult is rising...

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Jocospor wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Also, they're normal English words, and you don't need to define normal English words.

OOC: Two decades ago, gender equalled either "male" or "female". This resolution would have us believe that is not the case.

OOC:
Actually, it did not.
Last edited by The New Nordic Union on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:33 pm

The New Nordic Union wrote:
Jocospor wrote:OOC: Two decades ago, gender equalled either "male" or "female".

OOC: Actually, it did not.

OOC: Aside from ^that, two decades ago "googling" wasn't a verb nor a phenomenon, yet now everyone understands what it means. Language evolves. (Funnily enough, "unfriending" isn't a Facebook-era term, but has existed for a century or more. And yes, in that exact same meaning.)
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:44 pm

The New Nordic Union wrote:
Jocospor wrote:OOC: Two decades ago, gender equalled either "male" or "female". This resolution would have us believe that is not the case.

OOC:
Actually, it did not.

OOC: ...and even if it did, the evolution of language (and subsequently the law) is not a serious argument for repeal unless you can make the case that the purpose and benefit of a law is flagrantly ill-served by such evolution (e.g. if a law relied on the word "literally" to mean "actually being the case without any embellishment, exaggeration, hyperbole, or verbal coloring" - whereas nowadays the chucklefucks at the OED list a second meaning of "figuratively, metaphorically, applying hyperbole for emphasis"). In this case, "regardless of gender" used to mean "you can't exclude girls because of cooties or your locker room mentality;" its newly propagated meaning of "you can't exclude humans based on how they present themselves with respect to what you think they should act like based on the shape and texture of their genitals" furthers the intent of the previous meaning.

TL;dr there's no need for a definition.
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 am

“A definition was considered for gender, but then we all remembered that, given the word wasn’t used in a technical context, one could just employ a dictionary instead. Those terms are also defined by other resolutions, if one really wants something authoritative. Unless the common meaning of the term ‘gender’ changes into something completely different, for example a synonym of ‘genesis’, then it doesn’t need to be repealed for that.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:06 am

OOC: Modly precedent suggest that "it's not defined" falls under the NatSov only rule. Wild claims about misinterpretation due to undefined words are insufficient as the only theme of argument.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Brittany Normandy Aquitaine
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Brittany Normandy Aquitaine » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:33 pm

Please repeal this ruling

There are two genders/sexes, male and female.

The only reason gender is widely used over sex is because many children of today interpret sex as sexual intercourse and not male or female, so the word gender is widespread.

Also the resolution made no attempt to identify their definition of gender minority, considering there are two genders, and males and females in a majority of nations are equal.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Brittany Normandy Aquitaine wrote:Please repeal this ruling

The only reason gender is widely used over sex is because many children of today interpret sex as sexual intercourse and not male or female, so the word gender is widespread.

Also the resolution made no attempt to identify their definition of gender minority, considering there are two genders, and males and females in a majority of nations are equal.

'Persistently and constantly repeating unfactual statements will not add any veracity to them.'
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Elyreia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Elyreia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Brittany Normandy Aquitaine wrote:Please repeal this ruling

Many male children of antiquity used to wear pink as it was a masculine color, while females wore a powder blue as it was a feminine color.

Oh how the times have changed on what constitutes masculine and feminine. If only other societal constructs evolved in time...
The Principality of Elyreia (Dārilarostegun Elyreia)
The Principality of Elyreia Wiki

World Assembly Ambassador: Dārilaros Korus Vaelans
Uncrowned Head of the House of Vaelans-Volaria
[he/him/she/her/they/them]
(Character Dossier)

Quink
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Quink » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:50 pm

USoQ Federal Office of International Relations, World Assembly Affairs Committee
Regarding the movement to repeal General Assembly Resolution #457: "Defending The Rights Of Sexual And Gender Minorities"

Being a relatively new nation and WA member, the United States of Quink wishes to express its respect and appreciation for the intelligent and remarkably civil discourse displayed on this thread. The USoQ holds that the movement to repeal General Assembly Resolution #457 is valid. The issue, however is not solely one of wording. Said resolution is mostly well written and (one hopes) well intended. While the usage of the terms "sex" and "gender" have been debated, and rightly so, the language of the resolution should not be thought of as the primary complaint, but rather the dangerous and insulting sentiments contained therein. GAR#457 calls for member nations (under certain, rather broadly defined conditions) to recognize relationships between any combination of "genders" or "sexes" as legitimate for the execution of a marriage or "civil union". It also calls for member nations to pass legislation in support of the resolution, and orders member nations to
impose... sanctions and punishments on all organisations which deny any right, power, permission or service to an individual based on their sexuality or gender
in the same manner as legislation regarding racial, ethnic, age and religious discrimination. It then goes on to mandate that member nations
allow each of their citizens to choose or change their own gender, and that member nations must officially recognise and accept the individual's chosen gender
. As a closing insult, the resolution calls for further legislation regulating the internal functions of religious organizations with regard to such discrimination. GAR#457 is essentially an attempt to force all WA member nations to recognize, and therefore validate the constantly shifting and often ill-advised landscape of modern gender/sex identities. It also seeks to meddle in the affairs of religious groups, when the whole concept of the separation of church and state is to allow each institution to exist and function independently. GAR#457 seeks to control the functioning of independent WA member states, and in doing so undermines the sovereignty of each nation. With a 54.3% to 43.7% final count, the GAR#457 was passed by 1,377 votes out of 16,177 total, which, while not a particularly slim margin, is close enough to be reconsidered at the the very least. The 7,400 nations that voted against the resolution are required abide by it, unless it is repealed. Major modification notwithstanding, this resolution must be appealed, lest each nation be micromanaged into oblivion by the WA. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

USoQ Federal Office of International Relations, World Assembly Affairs Committee

Elyreia
Envoy

Postby Elyreia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Quink wrote:With a 54.3% to 43.7% final count, the GAR#457 was passed by 1,377 votes out of 16,177 total, which, while not a particularly slim margin, is close enough to be reconsidered at the the very least. The 7,400 nations that voted against the resolution are required abide by it, unless it is repealed.

A democracy is naught but a dictatorship of 51% of the people over the other 49%. -Tommy Jefferson.

I read that in a factbook somewhere. If the 43.7% of WA nations feel so inclined, they may vacate the World Assembly. Elyreia certainly does not enjoy being told how to treat its criminals by WA legislation, but we abide because we find the benefits outweigh the losses.

And while your arguments are very articulate, Ambassador, they are not in the current repeal draft proposed by the original delegate. Please feel free to draft your own repeal proposal for review and criticism if you wish to argue your own points.

(Character Dossier)

Quink
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Quink » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Thank you for the response and advice. Still figuring out how to navigate all of this, and I appreciate the help.

Elyreia
Envoy

Postby Elyreia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Quink wrote:Thank you for the response and advice. Still figuring out how to navigate all of this, and I appreciate the help.

No worries, I've stumbled on my heels when first sauntering in myself.

(Character Dossier)

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:30 pm

Could you keep your poison out of this well?
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Quink
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Quink » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Elyreia wrote:
Quink wrote:Thank you for the response and advice. Still figuring out how to navigate all of this, and I appreciate the help.

Would it be best to delete my posts in order to keep from cluttering up the thread?

The Marconian State
Secretary

Founded: Sep 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marconian State » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Quink wrote:
Elyreia wrote:

Would it be best to delete my posts in order to keep from cluttering up the thread?

No, your quotes are already saved in the responses of other people. You should simply gracefully accept and own up to your loss, as you already are.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly